Installer stuck at 18% when upgrading from Windows 10 (10074 to 10122)

Are you trying to upgrade to Windows 10 preview build 10122 and the installation hangs at 18%? The following approach unblocked me, hopefully it works for you too – please let us know in the comments:

• Download psexec.exe from sysinternals to e.g. c:\temp
  • Open an elevated command prompt
  • Execute psexec with the following parameters (try not to copy/paste):
    • C:\Temp\psexec.exe –s –i cmd.exe
  • A command prompt in the system context should launch:

image

Execute the following command:

• rundll32.exe pnpclean.dll,RunDLL_PnpClean /DRIVERS /MAXCLEAN

Close the command prompt(s) and try upgrading again.
Consider leaving a reply if this worked!

image

Thanks to my friend Antonio Vasconcelos for troubleshooting this together.

Content moved

2. ashish_1 says:

it was not working in cmd it was saying not recognized as a internal or external command

3. Erik says:

The same thing happened to me. I believe the command is case sensitive. It worked after I copy and pasted it from here into my command prompt.

4. Me says:

Remember to use cmd like administrator mode.

5. PHugger says:

This happened to me when upgrading from 10138 to 10159
    I think there was a 10158 the day before that I may have missed
    You fix worked like a charm. Thanks so much for helping!

6. I’m getting this error — "Error establishing communication with PsExec service on : The specified network name is no longer available.

7. Jorge Delgado says:

Sorry, this doesnt works for me.

8. Joe says:

An elevated PowerShell_ISE.exe worked for me every time. CMD.EXE in Windows 10 seems to have extra protection against PSEXEC.exe.

9. Brandon says:

the system cannot find the file path specified – cant tell if I am typing it wrong or what…?????????????

10. Mark says:

It tells me it couldn’t install the psexesvc service and that "Access Denied" …what’s up with that??

11. Brandon: make sure you start a normal command prompt, not a Tools Command Prompt or check for any typos.

Mark: you didn’t start the command prompt elevated. Please read the instructions again.

12. Shrimant says:

My windows 7 machine upgraded fine, but my wife’s wont. When I try to run this command, it gives an error that the module could not be loaded. There is no pnpclean.dll module.

13. jesse says:

I was trying to solve "Windows 10 the installation failed in the safe_os phase with an error during install_drivers" on my Teclast X80h. The above commands worked just fine but did not resolve my issue. Thank you for the help.

14. Hilmar says:

I was trying to install the final version of windows 10 pro on a second pc. Installer stopped at 18%. After using your workaround installer stopped at 20%.

15. Mason Higgins says:

It worked for one of my clients.If you get the basics right, it will work in the first attempt. The command is case sensitive and should be written by yourself, no copy/paste. Nice stuff.

16. Same as Shrimant "There was a problem starting pnpclean.dll – The specified module could not be found.

17. Hilmar says:

I tried to upgrade a second time and run setup as admin, now the installer stopped at 23%.

18. Scott says:

Worked for me after 7 failed attempts to get an Asus T100 to go from 8.1 to 10. Well done.

19. Marwan says:

Microsoft still giving us bad products. sorry but i am very tired from these things.

20. Ahmed A. says:

this worked for me. thanks

21. Frits Kuijk says:

Elevated command prompt: right click on C:WindowsSystem32cmd.exe, choose "Run as administrator"

22. ADAMS.M says:

after the second cmd window opens and i enter what am supposed to enter it tells me error in pnpclean.dll

Missing entry: RunDLL_Pnp

23. Greg says:

You sir are my hero! I’ve been fighting Windows Update for the last week and a half trying to get the latest preview build installed. I don’t know how many times I’ve downloaded, installed, rebooted, run diagnostics just to have it restore to the previous version at the 18% mark. I tried your steps and it worked like a champ. I’m not sure how you figured it out, but many thanks!

24. Joso says:

This worked for me (upgrading to WIN10 anniversary update). Thanks

25. Jeff Martin says:

Thanks so much – this process helped me install the 1607 update for windows 10

26. Q says:

Had issues installing windows 10 anniversary update 3x. This worked extremely well to fix it and get windows to update. Thanks again!

27. Christian says:

This happened to me when upgrading Windows 10 from 1511 to 1607 (14393) on a Surface Pro 4.
    Your fix worked like a charm. Thanks so much for helping!

28. Dennis Mukadah says:

Kuddos to you man… Worked Like a charm. Thanks a lot for your help

29. Guido Lissmann says:

I get that error.
    I’ve done as instructed. I still get 0x8007002.
    I’ve gone through my drivers with Driver Agent Plus and updated all that wasn’t up to date.
    I’ve also had a look with sfc /scannow, that shows all is well.
    I’ve tried running DSIM, it gets angry about missing folders with names as long as my arm.
    When I manually create the missing folder, it complains about the next one – but never gives me any indication what is missing in terms of actual software names.
    In desperation, I’ve run Wise-Registry-Cleaner, still no joy.
    I’ve tried stopping the Windows Update service, deleting the temp-folder for that and restarting Windows Update.
    About a half dozen times before, in between, and after all the other things.
    I missed the Update on rollout, the only error message Windows Update ever gave me directed me to a page on the microsoft website where I could buy a new laptop.
    I’ve been trying to install the upgrade since Friday.
    Is there some way to brute-force it?

30. Axel says:

Works also with SURFACE BOOK and WIN10 Upgrade 1511 to 1607

31. Hans says:

Works for me on Surface Pro 4, thnx!