Microsoft U.S. HIED West Account Technology Briefing Newsletter
Microsoft News and Product Information
· Microsoft Is Committed to Interoperability with its Network Access Protection Solution Microsoft and Cisco have been collaborating for two years to achieve interoperability between Microsoft NAP and Cisco NAC. Earlier this month, they delivered on their promise to interoperate. The companies unveiled a joint NAP-NAC interoperable architecture, which allows communication and policy enforcement across each company’s solution. With this architecture, a multi-vendor, end-to-end solution can be built around the Cisco-Microsoft interoperability.
· Automatic Delivery of Internet Explorer 7 To help customers become more secure and up-to-date, Microsoft will distribute Internet Explorer 7 as a high-priority update via Automatic Updates and the Windows Update and Microsoft Update sites shortly after the final version of Internet Explorer 7 is released (planned for the 4th quarter of 2006).
· Securing Critical and Service Accounts This paper will help midsized businesses understand the risks associated with administrative, service, application-related, and default accounts. This paper discusses the nature of these accounts, how to identify them, how to determine the appropriate permissions that they require to function, and how to mitigate the risks inherent in elevated service accounts and administrator level accounts.
How Microsoft Does IT
· How Microsoft IT Secures Access to Corporate Resources Using Internet Security and Acceleration (ISA) Server 2006 In this webcast, we explain how Microsoft IT adopted Microsoft Internet Security and Acceleration (ISA) Server 2006 for secure Web publishing as an alternative to remote access. Join this presentation to learn how Microsoft IT’s deployment of ISA Server 2006, with its many new features, saves the company millions in hardware and personnel resources.
· How Microsoft IT Designs Its 64-bit Exchange Server 2007 Infrastructure In this webcast, find out how Microsoft IT was able to take advantage of 64-bit architecture to fully deploy Microsoft Exchange Server 2007 in its production environment.
· Improving an IT Self-Help Portal User Experience Learn how Microsoft improved the user experience, reduced the help desk costs, and published more engaging and timelier information by migrating their IT support portal to SharePoint Server 2007.
· Implementing Visual Studio Team System in the Microsoft OEM Division's IT Center of Excellence The Microsoft OEM Division's IT Center of Excellence (OEM IT), a global IT engineering organization within Microsoft, deployed Microsoft Visual Studio 2005 Team System. OEM IT now enjoys a fully integrated software development platform, realizes substantial and measurable savings, and is able to focus more on development and delivery of high-quality software and less on project administrative tasks.
Windows Desktop and Server -
Vista / 2003 / XP / 2000
· Windows Vista Trusted Platform Module Services Step by Step Guide This Step-by-Step Guide provides the instructions necessary to use Trusted Platform Module (TPM) Services in a test lab environment.
· BitLocker Drive Encryption: Executive Overview This paper provides an introduction to BitLocker Drive Encryption; an exciting new data protection feature available in Microsoft Windows Vista that addresses a growing concern: the theft or unwanted disclosure of data made available through physical loss of computer devices. See also the BitLocker FAQ.
· Microsoft Windows Vista Security: Setting a New Standard for Security and Privacy Through Innovation and Collaboration With the forthcoming release of Windows Vista, Microsoft is empowering businesses and consumers to address mounting security threats. Through Microsoft’s “defense-in-depth” approach to technology innovation — involving fundamental protections in the platform, threat and vulnerability mitigation, and identity and access control — the operating system will enable end users to remain more secure and will protect the privacy of their information. Windows Vista will also provide IT administrators with effective ways to make networks resistant to attacks, while preserving data confidentiality, integrity and availability. Lastly, these changes will enable new solutions for both security and non-security ISVs to address the challenges currently facing the entire industry.
· Windows Update, Microsoft Update, and Automatic Updates for IT Professionals The information on this page is intended primarily for IT professionals who may be using Windows Update or Microsoft Update and the Automatic Updates feature in their organizations. It provides an overview of these services and announcements of developments that may affect IT professionals.
· Group Policy Settings Reference Windows Vista RC1 This spreadsheet lists the policy settings for computer and user configurations included in the administrative template files (admx/adml) delivered with Windows Vista RC1 (build 5600).
· Microsoft Windows Security Center: The Voice of Security for Windows Vista A White Paper highlighting the enhancements to Windows Security Center for Windows Vista.
· Network Location Types in Windows Vista Microsoft Windows Vista (now in beta testing) has the ability to automatically configure security and other settings based on the type of network to which the computer is connected. This new feature makes computing more secure and easier for users because they no longer have to be aware of the type of network that they are connected to and configure security settings to prevent unwanted access.
· Windows Services for UNIX Version 3.5 Windows Services for UNIX 3.5 provides a full range of supported and fully integrated cross-platform network services for enterprise customers to use in integrating Windows into their existing UNIX-based environments. See also technical resources for Services for Unix.
· Windows Security and Directory Services for UNIX v1.0 The guidance covers evaluating, planning, building, deploying, and operating a security and directory infrastructure based on Windows Server 2003. It includes configuring both the Windows and UNIX/Linux settings and configuring the requisite Windows services. Technical guidance has been thoroughly lab tested with Windows Server 2003 SP1, Red Hat Linux 9, and Sun Microsystems Solaris 9.
· Step-by-Step Guide to Deploying Windows Mobile-based Devices with Microsoft Exchange Server 2003 SP2 This document is designed primarily for Information Technology (IT) professionals who are responsible for planning and deploying mobile messaging systems that use Microsoft Exchange Server 2003 with Service Pack 2 (SP2) and Microsoft Windows Mobile-based devices that have the Messaging and Security Feature Pack.
· Choosing Exchange Server 2003 Hardware for Reuse with Exchange Server 2007 This article provides rough guidelines for processor and memory configurations that provide good performance for Exchange Server 2003 while also providing a strong platform for Exchange Server 2007. Recommendations will also be made on how server hardware deployed for Exchange 2003 roles can be reused for Exchange 2007 on a per-server role basis.
· User Guide for Microsoft Forefront Security for Exchange Server Forefront Security for Exchange protects organizations against the latest threats by managing multiple antivirus scan engines at multiple layers throughout the e-mail infrastructure. This approach allows Forefront for Exchange to minimize the average window of exposure for emerging e-mail threats by providing continual signature updates from multiple antivirus labs around the world.
· Microsoft Systems Management Server 2003 Desired Configuration Monitoring 2.0 now supports configuration monitoring of desktops and servers. The accelerator allows the user to define desired hardware, operating system, and application configuration settings in multiple configuration data sources. Then, using the supplied auditing engine, DCM compares desired settings with actual settings and finally reports configuration compliance.
· Microsoft Availability Reporting Management Pack for Microsoft Operations Manager 2005 collects and analyzes data from the event logs of your servers, and generates reports that you can study to improve server availability and reliability. You can identify the causes for planned and unplanned downtime and take preemptive actions to decrease downtime in the future.
Microsoft Office System
· Get into the Groove: Solutions for Secure and Dynamic Collaboration Microsoft Office Groove 2007 is a new collaboration tool in the 2007 Microsoft Office system that enables teams to collaborate dynamically, effectively, and with advanced security, even when team members work for different organizations, work remotely, or need to work offline. The author will introduce you to Office Groove 2007 and explain the architectural underpinnings that make it an ideal tool for dynamic team collaboration.
· Microsoft Office Migration Planning Manager (Preview) The Office Migration Planning Manager is a group of tools designed to help administrators during the planning and testing phases of a 2007 Microsoft Office system deployment.
· Differences between the 2007 Office system and Office 2003 Many features have been changed, removed, or replaced in 2007 Microsoft Office system. Also: Collaborating with previous versions of Office and other programs
· Live Communications Server 2005 Document: Supportability Guide An overview of the supported configurations for Microsoft Office Live Communications Server 2005, Live Communications Server 2005 with Service Pack 1 (SP1), and Microsoft Office Communicator Web Access.
· Live Meeting 2005 Intranet Portal SP2 Administrator’s Guide provides information to help administrators to deploy and use the Live Meeting Intranet Portal.
Beta, Technology Assessment Program (TAP) and Rapid Deployment Program (RDP) Information
· System Center Data Protection Manager Version 2 Beta 1 Data Protection Manager (DPM) is the new standard for Windows backup and recovery—delivering continuous data protection for Microsoft application and file servers using seamlessly integrated disk and tape media. DPM enables rapid and reliable recovery through advanced technology for enterprises of all sizes.
· Microsoft Launches Forefront Security for SharePoint Beta
Microsoft Corp. launched the public beta of Forefront Security for SharePoint. This latest release of Microsoft Forefront security products for businesses is based on Antigen for SharePoint Server, the multi-engine security solution acquired by Microsoft as part of the acquisition of Sybari Software Inc. in 2005. Forefront Security for SharePoint is optimized to provide advanced protection for Microsoft Office SharePoint Server 2007 and Windows SharePoint Services 3.0. The launch of Forefront Security for SharePoint will coincide with the general availability of Microsoft Office SharePoint Server 2007 and Windows SharePoint Services 3.0, which are scheduled to be available to businesses by the end of 2006 and generally available in early 2007. It will be available through Microsoft’s global channel of Security Solutions Competency partners. Companies can download the beta release at http://www.microsoft.com/forefront.
Microsoft Corp. released a beta developer kit for the Microsoft .NET Micro Framework, a new development platform for use with devices that are typically constrained by cost, memory, processor and/or power consumption. Announced at the Embedded Systems Conference in
· Check out the TechNet Virtual Labs Quickly evaluate and test Microsoft's newest server products through a series of guided, hands-on labs which can be completed in 90 minutes or less. The best part is, TechNet Virtual Labs can be accessed online immediately.
The Microsoft Operations Framework Self-Assessment Tool recently updated to version 2.0 is based on the Microsoft Operations Framework (MOF) and IT Infrastructure Library (ITIL) best practices. It guides you through the development of a detailed problem-and-impact analysis of a targeted IT service or operational process. This tool is designed to enable you to:
· Better understand the effectiveness of the IT services and processes in your organization.
· Define a specific problem or opportunity regarding your IT services and/or processes
· Identify a variety of follow-up actions based on information you provide.
Once you complete a 15- to 20-minute assessment, you receive a detailed report including the assessment data, a problem statement, a summary of impacts on the organization, and a customized next-step list of recommendations.
Latest/Greatest Tools from Microsoft
· XML Notepad 2006 XML Notepad 2006 provides a simple intuitive user interface for browsing and editing XML documents.
· Word 2007 Redaction Add-in Use Microsoft Office Word 2007 Redaction Add-in to hide text within Microsoft Office Word 2007 documents. You can mark text to redact and then create a new, redacted version of the document in which the marked text is replaced with a black bar that cannot be converted back to text.
· Outlook 2007 Calendar Views Add-in With the Outlook Calendar Views Add-in, you can easily create and manage filters to display subsets of appointments in Outlook Calendar. Filtered views are based on categories that you apply to appointments.
· 2007 Microsoft Office Add-in: Microsoft Save as PDF This download allows you to export and save to the PDF format in eight 2007 Microsoft Office programs. It also allows you to send files as e-mail attachments in the PDF format in a subset of these programs.
· 2007 Microsoft Office Add-in: Microsoft Save as XPS This download allows you to export and save to the XPS format in eight 2007 Microsoft Office programs. It also allows you to send files as e-mail attachments in the XPS format in a subset of these programs.
· Microsoft Forefront Security for Exchange Server Help protect your Exchange server from viruses and other malware.
· Microsoft Operations Manager 2005 SP1 Agent Prerequisite Component for Windows XP Embedded The MOM 2005 SP1 Agent Prerequisite Component for Windows XP Embedded extracts the components required for the MOM 2005 SP1 Agent to work on Windows XP Embedded.
· Windows Mobile Network Analyzer PowerToy Network Analyzer for Windows Mobile runs network utilities (e.g., ping and ipconfig) on a Windows Mobile powered device. Network Analyzer for Windows Mobile facilitates the troubleshooting of network connectivity issues.
· Max Microsoft Codename Max is your opportunity to try a new, exciting and constantly evolving experience from Microsoft. Max lets you make beautiful photo slideshows to share with your family and friends.
· A problem has been identified in Filter Manager that can prevent you from installing updates from Windows update.
· Live Meeting 2005 Add-in Pack With the Live Meeting Add-in Pack, you can perform conferencing tasks directly from Microsoft Office Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Project, Visio, as well as from Windows Messenger, MSN Messenger, and Office Communicator 2005.
· A security vulnerability exists in Microsoft Publisher that could allow arbitrary code to run when you open a maliciously modified document.
· Windows Live Local for Outlook Windows Live Local for Outlook adds maps, routes, traffic updates, driving directions, and travel time to your Microsoft Office Outlook meeting requests.
· The ISA Server Management Pack for MOM enables you to effectively monitor and maintain your ISA Server infrastructure.
· This download contains a Microsoft Operations Manager (MOM) management pack and associated documentation for Microsoft Office Project Server 2007 Beta 2 Technical Refresh.
· This is the Beta 2 Technical Refresh of Office Outlook 2007 with Business Contact Manager.
· Firewall Client Installs ISA Server Firewall Client software on 32-bit and 64-bit computers.
· Visio 2007: Software Development Kit (Beta 2 Technical Refresh update) This Beta 2 Technical Refresh update to the Microsoft Office Visio 2007 Software Development Kit (Beta 2) provides various improvements and enhancements to the Beta 2 SDK.
· Media Transfer Protocol Porting Kit The new Media Transfer Protocol (MTP) enables you to manage content on any portable device with storage.
· When visiting a Web page that uses a custom pop-up object, Microsoft Internet Explorer 6 can close unexpectedly and generate an error in the Mshtml.dll file.
· ActiveSync 4.5 Beta 2 Microsoft ActiveSync 4.5 is the latest sync software release for Windows Mobile-powered devices. ActiveSync provides a great synchronization experience with Windows-powered PCs and Microsoft Outlook right out of the box.
· User Agent String Utility 2 A utility that opens an Internet Explorer 7.0 window that is configured to report its identity to websites as being Internet Explorer 6.0.
· Windows Base Operating System Management Pack for MOM 2005 Monitors for conditions that adversely affect the availability, reliability, performance, configuration, and security of Windows Server 4.0, 2000, 2003, and 2003 R2 operating systems. The events detected indicate exceptional conditions associated with various components of Windows operations. Assists with proactive management of Windows Server 2000, 2003, and 2003 R2 systems.
· Update for Windows Server 2003 x64 Edition (KB922772) Install this update to resolve a situation where inconsistent data is returned when you use the TargetMapping function together with the HBA API for an MPIO-compatible storage device in Windows Server 2003.
· Update for Windows Vista RC1 (KB925028) Install this update to prevent an issue where selecting text in Microsoft Word 2003 on a Tablet PC may cause the application to become unresponsive when you are using Vista RC1.
· Update for Windows 2000 (KB925308) Install this update to prevent an issue in which, after you install security update 920958 (MS06-049) on a computer that is using NTFS file system compression, compressed files that are larger than 4 kilobytes may be corrupted when you create or update the files.
· This management pack monitors availability and reliability for SQL, Exchange, IIS, AD and Windows and allows you to determine whether the availability and reliability objectives are met.
· Microsoft Identity Integration Server 2003 Host Access Management Agent Feature Pack 2 enables Microsoft Identity Integration Server (MIIS) identity management integration with IBM and eTrust Computer Associates host security systems.
· Security Update for Windows 2000 (KB920958) A security issue has been identified in the Windows Kernel that could allow an attacker to compromise your Windows-based system and gain control over it.
· 2007 Office System Document: Lists of Control IDs This download contains files that list the control IDs for built-in controls in all applications that use the Ribbon.
· Update for Windows XP (KB924941) Install this update to resolve timing issues resulting in race conditions when using Bluetooth devices connected via USB.
· XmlLite is a lightweight component for parsing and writing XML files.
· Windows Media Player Type 1 Online Store Wizard A Windows Media Player Type 1 Online Store must provide a plug-in that implements the IWMPContentPartner interface. The type 1 online store wizard allows you to quickly create a plug-in that serves as a starting point.
· Microsoft .NET Framework 3.0 Uninstall Tool This article describes how to uninstall pre-release versions of Microsoft .NET Framework 3.0 if the typical uninstall process is unsuccessful.
· Microsoft Systems Management Server 2003 Desired Configuration Monitoring 2.0 This accelerator automates the configuration management audits between desired or defined configuration settings and actual configuration settings.
· Microsoft Standard User Analyzer This application compatibility tool helps developers and IT professionals diagnose issues that would prevent a program from running properly as a standard user.
· Microsoft Antigen 9.0 MOM Pack The new Microsoft Antigen Management Pack for MOM supports the 9.0 versions of Microsoft Antigen for Exchange, Microsoft Antigen for SMTP Gateways, and Microsoft Antigen Spam Manager.
· Update for Windows Embedded for Point of Service (KB905876) Resolves the issue of not being able to open .hlp files in Windows Embedded for Point of Service (WePOS).
· Update for Windows Embedded for Point of Service (KB903937) Resolves issues that might occur with Remote Assistance.
· Update for Windows Embedded for Point of Service (KB903089) Resolves the issue of IIS's FTP functionality not functioning in WePOS.
· Windows Embedded for Point of Service Unattended Generator Utility The Microsoft Windows Embedded for Point of Service Unattended Generator Utility creates and edits Windows Embedded for Point of Service unattended files.
· Update for WEPOS (KB918233) Resolve issues that might occur with NTFS encryption function
· Update for Windows Embedded for Point of Service (KB903896) Resolves issues that might occur with crash dumps and hibernation.
· Update for Windows Embedded for Point of Service (KB903897) Resolves issues that might occur with text not being localized even when MUI Packs are installed.
Whitepapers and Documentation
· Podcasts: How Microsoft IT Monitors and Manages the Exchange Messaging Infrastructure as a Service Managing Exchange Messaging Services by Using Metrics discusses how Microsoft IT improved its messaging services using targeted metrics and process.
· Cisco Network Admission Control and Microsoft Network Access Protection Interoperability Architecture This white paper describes the interoperability architecture for Cisco Systems, Inc.'s Network Admission Control (NAC) platform and Microsoft's Network Access Protection (NAP) Platform.
· Media Transfer Protocol Enhanced Specification This specification is intended to define the transport-independent portion of MTP in a way that is agnostic to both device type and OS.
Help protect your Exchange server from viruses and other malware.
· Live Meeting 2005 Intranet Portal SP2 Administrator’s Guide The Live Meeting 2005 Intranet Portal SP2 Administrator’s Guide provides information to help administrators to deploy and use the Live Meeting Intranet Portal.
· Introduction to Data-Aware Windows Mobile Applications, Pt. 2 Rory Blyth looks at how to perform data synchronization between a Pocket PC and SQL Server using RDA (Remote Data Access).
· MIIS 2003 Design Concepts The MIIS 2003 Design Concepts document set provides discussions and recommended solutions for specific challenges that are encountered during the design phase of MIIS 2003.
· Business Scorecard Manager 2005 Data Sheet Microsoft Office Business Scorecard Manager 2005 allows users to optimize business performance through strategic decision making. The download includes a product data sheet.
· Windows Security and Directory Services for UNIX v1.0 Technical and process guidance for consolidating security and directory services to provide authentication and authorization in heterogeneous UNIX and Windows environments using Windows Server 2003.
· IT Showcase: Implementing Visual Studio Team System in the Microsoft OEM Division's IT Center of Excellence This technical case study describes that by deploying Microsoft Visual Studio 2005 Team System, the Microsoft OEM Division's IT Center of Excellence enjoys a fully-integrated software development platform, realizes substantial, measurable savings, and is able to focus more on developing and delivering quality software and less on project administrative tasks.
· This document contains instructions about how to install Microsoft CRM 3.0 on Microsoft Windows Small Business Server 2003 R2
· Project Server 2007 Document: Updating Microsoft Office Project Server 2007 for Beta 2 Technical Refresh Updates are available for the Beta 2 Technical Refresh of Microsoft SharePoint Products and Technologies. This guide addresses how to obtain and install the update for Office Project Server 2007 Beta 2. The update includes two phases: a binary update and a database upgrade. This downloadable document guides you through both phases.
· Forms Server 2007 Document: Updating Microsoft Office Forms Server 2007 for Beta 2 Technical Refresh This guide addresses how to obtain and install the update for Office Forms Server 2007 Beta 2.
· Project Portfolio Server 2006 Document: Installation Guide This installation guide will walk you through the required steps to successfully install the Microsoft Office Project Portfolio Server 2006 on your local machine.
· Mike Hall looks at the different Windows Embedded operating systems.
· Live Communications Server 2005 Document: Supportability Guide This document identifies supported configurations for Microsoft Office Live Communications Server 2005, Live Communications Server 2005with Service Pack 1 (SP1), and Microsoft Office Communicator Web Access.
· Describes how to upgrade to Microsoft SQL Server 2005 on your Microsoft CRM 3.0 installation.
· Securing Critical and Service Accounts Gain knowledge about application, service, and administrator-level accounts. This paper addresses the need to protect against internal threats, both deliberate and accidental, including employee data theft and efforts to work around security policies and procedures.
· BizTalk Server 2006 Tutorials The BizTalk Server 2006 tutorials contain detailed steps for implementing simple scenarios to give new users an experience of using a variety of BizTalk tools while creating compiled, testable solutions.
· BizTalk 2006 Documentation Update Updated Documentation - CHM format
· Xbox.com Prima Guides Prima has you covered with guides for all your favorite Xbox titles. The world's leading publisher of official game guides and the exclusive guide publisher for Microsoft®, Prima continues to dominate the field it created in 1990 by providing the highest quality game guides available.
· The Commerce Server 2007 documentation download includes updates to Microsoft Commerce Server 2007 Help.
Microsoft Developer Information
· Creating a Business Logic Layer In this tutorial we'll see how to centralize these business rules into a Business Logic Layer (BLL) that serves as an intermediary for data exchange between the presentation layer and the DAL. In a real-world application, the BLL should be implemented as a separate Class Library project; however, for these tutorials we'll implement the BLL as a series of classes in our App_Code folder in order to simplify the project structure.
· Master Pages and Site Navigation One common characteristic of user-friendly websites is that they have a consistent, site-wide page layout and navigation scheme. ASP.NET 2.0 introduces two new features that greatly simplify implementing both a site-wide page layout and navigation scheme: master pages and site navigation.
· Harness The Power Of P2P Communication In Windows Vista And WCF P2P development in Windows Vista is a huge topic, and no single article can cover it fully. So instead of attempting the impossible, I'll introduce some of the different P2P technologies in Windows Vista, and provide background for your P2P development efforts.
· Simplify Task Progress with ASP.NET "Atlas" In this column, I'll rebuild using Atlas all the examples discussed in the last installment of Cutting Edge. You'll see how to implement static and context-sensitive progress bars in a significantly simpler and neater way.
· Control Adapters In this column I'll introduce the control adapter architecture and explain how it can be used to completely change control renderings based on the User Agent string. I'll then discuss the CSS Control Adapter Toolkit and how you can integrate its features into your sites today.
· Introducing Windows Presentation Foundation The primary goal of Windows Presentation Foundation (WPF) is to help developers create attractive and effective user interfaces. Learn how the WPF unified platform helps make designers active participants in creating user interfaces, and provides a common programming model for standalone and browser applications.
· Smart Clients: Essential Requirements and Candidate Services The architecture and design of smart client solutions begins with a comprehensive understanding of the unique requirements for this versatile model that leverages the rich and dedicated resources of the user's own computer and, when connected, the far reaches of the network.
· Monitoring and Analyzing a Load Test Result Microsoft Visual Studio Team Test Edition provides tools for running, monitoring, and analyzing load tests. The load test result viewer is capable of monitoring a running test or analyzing a completed test. This document describes the features of the load test result viewer.
· Using Settings in C# Learn how to use the new features in Visual C# 2005 to work with application and user settings.
· Microsoft Visual Studio 2005 Extensions for Windows Workflow Foundation Release Candidate 5 Provides developers with support for building workflow-enabled applications using Windows Workflow Foundation.
· Web Service Development Guide for Outlook 2007 Mobile Service This white paper will show you how to build and host Web Services for Microsoft Office Outlook 2007 Mobile Service (Beta 2).
· Application Analysis Envisioning Process This guide discusses the Application Analysis Envisioning Process (AAEP) for Lotus Notes applications.
· Team Foundation Power Toys Team Foundation Power Toys is a collection of command-line and Visual Studio integrated tools for users of version control and work item tracking in Team Foundation Server.
· Behind the Scenes: Improvements to Windows Forms Data Binding in the .NET Framework 2.0, Part 2 Sample Code Windows Forms sample code for demonstrating improvements to Windows Forms data binding in the .NET Framework 2.0. This sample code is associated with part two of a two part series of white papers on this topic.
· Microsoft Provisioning System SDK Beta 2 ISVs and Hosters can use this MPS SDK to develop applications that are enabled for multi-tenancy capability. Beta version.
This download provides sample files that accompany the MSDN Webcast: Developing SharePoint Workflows Using Visual Studio 2005 (Level 200).
· Team Foundation Administrator's Guide A comprehensive guide that covers procedures for administering Team Foundation Server.
· Windows Media Center Software Development Kit for Windows Vista RC1 Documentation, tools, and sample code for developing
· Team Foundation Server Language Change Packages The Language Change package provides international customers with the instructions and tools necessary to convert an existing Visual Studio 2005 Team Foundation Server (English) to a localized version of Team Foundation Server.
· Utilities and SDK for SUA Utilities and SDK for Subsystem for UNIX-Based Applications is an add-on to the Subsystem for UNIX-Based Applications (referred to as SUA, hence forth) component that ships in Microsoft Windows Vista RC1 / Longhorn Server IDS_C release.
· VSTO SE Runtime Beta Install the beta version of the runtime for Microsoft Visual Studio 2005 Tools for the 2007 Microsoft Office System Beta (VSTO 2005 SE Beta). This runtime beta is required for testing VSTO 2005 SE Beta solutions on computers other than the development computer.
· Groove 2007: Software Development Kit This download contains the Beta 2 TR version of Microsoft Office Groove 2007 Software Development Kit.
· Using IOLECommands with the InfoPath Form Control This download contains the full C# source code of a Windows application containing multiple toolbars and the Form Control object. It demonstrates how to use IOLECommands to mirror functionality of the Microsoft Office InfoPath 2007 form editing environment.
· Windows SharePoint Services 3.0: SDK This SDK contains conceptual overviews, programming tasks, samples, and references to guide you in developing solutions based on Microsoft® Windows SharePoint Services 3.0.
· Project 2007: Software Development Kit The Microsoft Office Project 2007 (Beta) SDK contains documentation, code samples, "How to" articles, and programming references to help customize and integrate the Project 2007 clients and Project Server 2007 with other applications for enterprise project management.
· Visual Studio 2005 SDK version 3.0 The Visual Studio 2005 Software Development Kit (SDK) version 3.0 includes tools, documentation and samples for developers to write, build, test and deploy extensions for Visual Studio 2005.
The Ink Analysis and Input Supplement for Windows XP Tablet PC Platform SDK adds two new components to the Tablet PC development kit
· SharePoint Server 2007: SDK The Microsoft Office SharePoint Server 2007 (Beta) SDK contains conceptual overviews, programming tasks, code samples, and references to guide you in developing solutions based on Microsoft Office SharePoint Server 2007.
Update for CTP5 that addresses reported performance issues.
· Robotics Studio September 2006 CTP The Microsoft Robotics Studio is a Windows-based environment for academic, hobbyist and commercial developers to easily create robotics applications across a wide variety of hardware. This installation package installs the Microsoft Robotics Studio along with samples and tutorials.
· Microsoft Presence Sample for Smart Client Applications The Microsoft Presence Sample for Smart Client Applications illustrates how to display presence status and provide real-time collaboration options in smart client applications using the interfaces provided by Microsoft Office Communicator 2005.
Details how to develop User Account Control (UAC) compliant applications for Windows Vista.
· OBA Reference Application for Supply Chain Management Reference application pack of an OBA for supply chain management (SCM), which covers various collaboration scenarios across organizational boundaries.
· DHTML Editing Control for Applications Redistributable Package (x86) DHTML Editing Control for Applications is a redistributable component that is available for Windows Vista to enable compatibility for MS Access 2003, and other applications which previously relied on this control in Windows XP and Windows 2003.
· MSN Messenger Activity SDK Download the latest reference material and code samples to build Activities that plug into MSN Messenger.
· Microsoft POS for .NET version 1.1 is a class library that provides .NET applications with a simple and consistent interface for communicating with Point of Service (POS) peripheral devices, and includes everything needed to run Point of Service peripherals.
· Sample Code Generator 18.104.22.168 Download this tool to generate sample C# & VB classes from an XSD schema.
· SQL Server 2005 Everywhere Edition Tools for Visual Studio 2005 Beta The download is installed after the installation of Visual Studio 2005 SP1 Beta and updates the Smart Device Development components in Visual Studio 2005 SP1 Beta with the SQL Server 2005 Everywhere Edition design time UI/Dialogs, device CAB files, and provides new features - Click Once support etc.
Monthly Reminders of Good Information Sources:
· The Script Center Script Repository The Script Repository categorizes the best sample scripts designed to run on Windows 2000, Windows XP, and Windows Server 2003. The Repository contains hundreds of sample scripts that do everything from start and stop services to backup and clear event logs.
· IT Professional Community Find answers in Microsoft newsgroups, locate non-Microsoft IT professional (IT pro) communities, join in chats, and share best practices and tips with your peers. If you are new to Community, visit the Getting Started page.
· Microsoft’s Support Lifecycle policy provides consistent and predictable guidelines for product support availability at the time of product release.
Support Web Casts
· List of Upcoming Web Casts: http://www.microsoft.com/events/webcasts/upcoming.mspx
· List of Previous Web Casts for on demand viewing: http://www.microsoft.com/usa/webcasts/ondemand/
· See the Top Ten List of the most popular webcasts.
Recent Security Bulletins (Security Bulletin Archives)
Last 5 Published or Updated Security Advisories:
· Microsoft Security Advisory (917021)
Description of the Wi-Fi Protected Access 2 support for Wireless Group Policy in Windows XP Service Pack 2
Published or Last Updated: 10/17/2006
· Microsoft Security Advisory (926043)
Vulnerability in Windows Shell Could Allow Remote Code Execution
Published or Last Updated: 10/10/2006
· Microsoft Security Advisory (925984)
Vulnerability in PowerPoint Could Allow Remote Code Execution
Published or Last Updated: 10/10/2006
· Microsoft Security Advisory (925059)
Vulnerability in Word Could Allow Remote Code Execution
Published or Last Updated: 10/10/2006
· Microsoft Security Advisory (925444)
Vulnerability in the Microsoft DirectAnimation Path ActiveX Control Could Allow Remote Code Execution
Published or Last Updated: 9/27/2006
For the entire list of published Security Advisories, visit the Security Advisory Archive Web site.
Security Guidance Center for Developer and IT Pros Get prescriptive guidance tools, training, and updates you need to assist you in planning and managing a security strategy that’s right for your organization.
Special Thanks to the Following Contributors: Laura Payne, Jose Wall and Mike Mitchell.