PowerShell 3.0 Is Now Available for Download!

Summary: Windows PowerShell 3.0 is now available for download!

WooHoo! Windows PowerShell 3.0 is now available to download for Windows 7, Windows Server 2008 R2, and for Windows Server 2008. Windows PowerShell 3.0 comes in the Management Framework 3.0. You can download Windows PowerShell 3.0 from the Microsoft Download Center. You need to download the appropriate package for your target operating system. Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2 must have at Service Pack 1, and Windows Server 2008 requires Service Pack 2. There are a number of enhancements in Windows PowerShell 3.0 including workflow, new cmdlets, and improvement language features. You may want to begin your exploration of Windows PowerShell 3.0 by reading my blog, My Five Favorite PowerShell Tips and Tricks.

NOTE: For information about installing Windows PowerShell 3.0 on Windows 7, see this blog post: Install PowerShell 3 on Windows 7.

I understand Windows Server 2008 is supported because of the powerful administration features for servers in the Management Framework. Is Windows Vista really supported? If not, why not?

2. Is there any news if PowerShell/WinRM 3.0 will be available through WSUS?

@Ramón Sola

I expect because Vista is out of "mainstream" support: ended 2012-04-10 (see support.microsoft.com/lifecycle) while Server 2008 is still in: ends 2015-01-13 (see support.microsoft.com/lifecycle).

4. Gandalf50 says:

Installed the MFC 3.0 on four different systems and  three of them gave me "This update is not applicable to your computer" error when trying to install it. Updating the Microsoft .Net Framework 4 on those systems fixed the issue.

5. pugmohone says:

Is there a Powershell 2.0 script to install Powershell 3.0?

We use Office 365 and I see some warnings about PowerShell 3 not being compatible with Exchange 2010.  We are not using a hybrid install.  We also use SharePoint with Office 365.  We do not use the other products that are listed as having issues.  Will I have problems managing Office 365 with PowerShell 3?

It would appear that Windows 8 comes with Powershell 3.0 preinstalled.

8. Ed Wilson says:

@Gandalf50 you are right, PowerShell 3.0 requires .NET FRAMEWORK 4.0 and that must be installed prior to installing the Management Framework 3.0. Thank you for point this out.

9. Fabian Campo says:

I'been working with it a couple of weeks ago…(in Beta, obiously…) it's "amazing" to script on!!! let's Rock with it GUYS…

10. Stoffel says:

Nice! Updating from the 'RC' version worked flawlessly on my W7 x64.

11. Unicorn02 says:

@Gandalf50: You might also want to directly install .net 4.5 framework and skip the installation of the older 4.0 version. .net 4.5 is a mainly an updated version of the 4.0 framework. On my system the powershell 3.0 also launches a bit faster with .net 4.5 than with the older version.

12. Andy Helsby says:

Another user who tried to install and failed because .net framework 4 was not installed. Any chance of getting the Microsoft webpage to add this to the pre-requisites? Currently it just mentions Win7sp1

Also, fwiw, the .net framework 4.5 is available at http://www.microsoft.com/…/details.aspx

13. Marc E. says:

Hi .. have the framework and Power shell 3 install on my Win 7 x64 machine and there are only 303 cmdlets … so I did some searching and it appears that most of the additional cmdlets are only available on Server 2012 or Windows 8, is that true?

… are there any modules not tied to Roles and Features on the new Operating Systems that can be installed on Win7?

Thanks

14. loic says:

Hi,

Will it be available for windows 2003 ?

15. Tyler says:

Yeah, you can use Powershell 2.0 to install Powershell 3.0

First you need to use the exe for .NET 4 with switches /q and possibly /norestart

Then call the Windows Stand Alone updater to install the .msu for Powershell 3.0 then exit powershell so it can install.

dotNet4.exe /q /norestart

wusa Powershell3.0.msu /quiet

exit

16. vijay says:

Is powershell 3.0 compatible with Windows XP and Windows Server 2008 R2 ?

17. Iacubovici Ilariu says:

Is there any chance that this does not work on Windows 8 Pro x64 ? When I run the install I get the "This update is not applicable to your computer" message, but if I try to install Net Framework 4, or 4.5 I get a message that tells me they are already installed.

18. Steve says:

The download link http://www.microsoft.com/…/details.aspx is not functional. Im at a clients site and need it desperately. Thanks

19. ed wilson says:

@Steve The link, http://www.microsoft.com/…/details.aspx works (I just checked). PowerShell 3 is called the Windows Management Framework 3.0 — and that leads to some confusion.

20. Aamir Hirani says:

Okay so those who do not have .NET Framework 4.0 get the message "This update is not applicable to your computer" is understandable but why is it that I get the same when having .NET Framework 4.5 ?

21. mash says:

Why is it so difficult to just install Powershell? Shouldn’t this be a basic part of Windows?

22. Valor says:

Can I run PowerShell 3 commands against a computer that only has PS2 installed (e.g. Windows XP, base Win7)?

What about the New-PSSession and Enter-PSSession cmdlets?

23. John Malwal says:

Can i use this power shell to run window 8.1? because it is good i want to use it.

24. naresh says:

I need to download powershell 3 version.

25. Antoon says:

Wonderful

26. hansengers@hotmail.nl says:

Get-AppXPackage | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)AppXManifest.xml"}

27. AMIT KASHYAP says:

Hi Can I use powershell 3.0 in windows 10 ent x64.?

1. Benaiah Youquoi says:

You should be using powershell 5.0 in Windows 10. To know the version of powershell that you have, use this cmdlet: Get-host

28. Manohar says:

beginner

29. The The says:

How are you supposed to develop an enterprise solution on Powershell when there are so many versions and so many compatibility issues? Who architected Powershell? I mean, was compatibility NEVER thought of? And why do I have to hunt to find the SDKs? Why isn’t there a central Powershell page with links to ALL the versions and a consolidated explanation of the differences?

Powershell should either be abandoned OR it needs to be a core part of the OS and the developers or admins should NEVER have to think about it being there or its version. That is what we pay the Windows team for!