2011 Scripting Games: All Links on One Page

2011 Scripting Games badge

The 2011 Scripting Games begin on April 4, 2011, and run through April 15, 2011. The Scripting Games are the premier learning event of the year for IT pros and others who want to master Windows PowerShell. For each of 10 events, you as a registered contestant have seven days to script a solution to a scenario-driven problem and post your code to an MVP-maintained script repository. A panel of internationally recognized judges scores each script you submit. And daily leaderboards and prize drawings help keep your interest high throughout the two-week international, online event.

Last year, people from more than 200 countries visited the Script Center during the Scripting Games. Because the scripts are written for real-world scenarios and problems, they are of immediate value to everyone, participants and spectators alike.

This page includes all essential 2011 Scripting Games links. Add this page to your favorites. (For that matter, make it your home page.)

• Register by signing in to the 2011 Scripting Games page at PoshCode. Fill in your account info.
  • Please see the blog that explains how the Scripting Wife registers.

Submit Scripts

• Events begin on April 4, 2011 and are displayed on Hey Scripting Guy! blog.
  • Submit your entries at PoshCode on the contribute page.

Wrap-Up Commentaries

• Coming May 2, 2011, after conclusion of Expert Solutions.

• Coming April 11, 2011, after the first entries are submitted.

Expert Solutions

• Coming April 18, 2011, after all entries have been submitted.

The Events

The Judges and Judging Criteria

The Scripting Wife

Community: Forum, Twitter, and Facebook

Our Sponsors and Official Rules

Preparing for the 2011 Scripting Games

1. mredwilson says:

Please try the link here. 2011sg.poshcode.org/…/LogOn I just updated it in the body of this blog posting too. Sorry for any inconvenience we are trying hard to get these items worked out.

2. mredwilson says:

@Jay @ISOHaven It was time to remove support for VBScript. VBScript has been in maintenance mode since Windows XP released with nothing but bug fixes and security fixes. Most of the people who competed last year did so in PowerShell, and I had a very difficult time finding judges and commentators for VBScript. In addition, it was very hard to keep the powershell events and the VBScript events at the same level. Things that are really hard in VBScript are simple in PowerShell, and hard things to do in PowerShell are impossible to accomplish with VBScript. See this article for more details http://bit.ly/h34I06 by the way, it is not that I dislike VBScript … I love VBScript but IT Pros need to learn PowerShell because it is the future — and the future is rapidly approaching us now.

3. mredwilson says:

@NastyMatt I am sorry you did not see the word that there would be no VBS this year. I actually made the announcement one year ago just before the 2010 games when I said it would be the last year. I have since confirmed that statement many times, in different areneas. That is not the point however … YOU can and should compete in the 2011 Scripting Games as a beginner, and use this years games to learn PowerShell! You are the target for this years beginners. You can learn a TON of PowerShell this year in the games! Give it a shot. Start with the 2011 Scripting Games Study Guide … review the Scripting Wife articles … and even take the PowerShell quiz. Go for it, you will be glad you did.

how can I take part in this games?? do I have to announce somewhere??

5. mredwilson says:

@ZeniTimes.  No the games don't begin until April 4th. We are in our pre game warm up period to get everyone ready to go. Hope you can join us on April 4th.

Getting an unhandled exception when trying to go to the poshcode site.

7. mredwilson says:

@CSeiter I know that some companies block social media and that can complicate things. I have even ran accross one company that blocks access to "blogs" and therefore all 5,000 of the Microsoft product group, PFE, developer, etc. (including the Scripting Guy) blogs are unavailable at that company. All of the "main things" are definately going to be announced via the Hey Scripting Guy! blog. The best thing you can do is to subscribe to the RSS feed, to ensure you do not miss anything. The events begin revealing on April 4, and go one per day Mon-Friday. Events 6-10 reveal April 11-15. You have 7 days to submit each event. Status updates like (logins are down / up) will be tweeted, and updated via facebook because they are easiest to use for those sorts of things. If I collect enough questions via twitter, I will do another FAQ. You can always email me at Scripter@Microsoft.Com as well.

Google Chrome works, IE does not…

9. mredwilson says:

@Steffen Beach IT seems that the logon is down right now (4/4/11 12:56 EST). I am checking with JayKul about this. It was working perfectly earlier in the day. You can follow me @ScriptingGuys on Twitter, and filter #2011SG to see the (nearly real time status) messages.

I've been trying to login for 2 days… IE8, no go, Chrome, no go… would be very cool to get this sorted out.

11. mredwilson says:

@MSdrone I do not see why not as long as you state in the comments that you are a MS employee and are doing this for the education and acknowledge you understand you cannot be included in the prize distributions. Also would you please send me your login name you use so I can remove it from the eligible names for prizes?  Send to scripter@microsoft.com Thanks

Joel AKA Jaykul, helped me out. Delete cookies, and start a new browser session worked for me.

13. ZeniTimes says:

I just got a whole load of emails about the games, have they already started?

14. Chris Brown says:

Pre game warmup hey? Will there be an opening ceremony?

15. Jay Adams says:

So the competition is for PowerShell only? Where's the love for VBScript?

16. ISOHaven says:

"Where's the love for VBScript?"

Out the window!

17. CSeiter says:

Last year I remember being almost a half day behind everyone else because of the use of social media to announce events and other things; Facebook and Twitter are blocked here at the office.  Is there going to be a more syncronous rollout to non-social media sites or was I just slow on checking everything in the first place?

18. JP says:

WHAT!!!!!!! NO VBSCRIPT?!?!?!?! Why??

19. JJ says:

The Poshcode landing page does not appear to be working properly…

20. PatRick says:

i can´t login….

Any known issues…?

21. JJ says:

Having the same issue in Google Chrome.

22. Poshcode landing page says:

Poshcode landing page worked for me using MS Live account and IE..

From Firefox:

Error was on PoshCode Multi-Protocol Authentication page

"This site is not meant for direct access. Please go to the Scripting Games at PoshCode home page."

It could be that I was logged in to live in one and not the other, but I'm not sure.

23. Matthew Painter says:

Last night I had this problem clicking on one of the above links. I closed IE and went to site directly http://2011sg.poshcode.org and login page worked.

IamMred's new link works too.

24. Nastymatt says:

No vbs?? Could we not have notified of this some 6 months ago. I have no ps experience and now can not take part in the games which I really enjoyed last year 🙁

With some warning I could have started learning ps.

25. MSdrone says:

So… I work for Microsoft, but I'm just now learning PoSH. I'm really bummed to see that I can't participate, since I work here. Is there any way I can compete if I disclose this fact and forfeit eligibility to any of the prizes?

…I'm really just interested in sharpening my skills.

26. kron says:

"Sorry, an error occurred while processing your request. " when trying to log on using IE 9 and windows live ID

I've deleted cookies, restarted IE but still not able to log on

27. Nite says:

Nice solution for game script: http://kidga.com/?p=33

28. paul says:

This is great! Thanks for these infos. <a href="dailysportsgame.org/">Best Sports</a>