When I try to run the above word for word except the $objUser.description = "Test user" line, I CHANGE THAT TO $objUser.InvokeSet(‘description’,’Test User’) I get the following error:
    Exception calling "SetInfo" with "0" argument(s): "Access is denied.
    "
    At C:Users####DocumentsRobpowershellCreateLocalUser.ps1:90 char:17
    + $objUser.SetInfo <<<< ()
    + CategoryInfo : NotSpecified: (:) [], MethodInvocationException
    + FullyQualifiedErrorId : CatchFromBaseAdapterMethodInvokeTI

Exception calling "SetInfo" with "0" argument(s): "Access is denied.
    "
    At C:Users####DocumentsRobpowershellCreateLocalUser.ps1:94 char:17
    + $objUser.SetInfo <<<< ()
    + CategoryInfo : NotSpecified: (:) [], MethodInvocationException
    + FullyQualifiedErrorId : CatchFromBaseAdapterMethodInvokeTI

I am new to PowerShell so not sure what is wrong but we also have Access Denied issues with Batch files too. I am using a domain account that has local administrator rights.

Hi Scripting guys,

I am quite a rookie to scripting and this seems to be an easy script to follow and study, However i am still not sure what i have to modify to suit my project. Eg i want 7 PCs in 1 OU to have the same local username called "Trainer" password to be "123456" and in a local group called "Trainers".

If i copy and save his script which part should i edit or modify to suit my project?

I plan to execute the script via a GPO.

HI,

I'am new in Powershell and i want to create a user with powershell, but i'am getting the next error  "The following exception occurred while retrieving member "create": "Unknown error (0x80005000)" what do i wrong?

$objou=[ADSI]"LDAP://ou=users,dc=test,dc=lokaal"

$objuser=$objou.create("user",CN=Charles Crude")

Thanks

Dirk

4. jrv says:

@Dirk

Set-AdUser -Identity <userid>  -ChangePasswordAtLogon $false -CannotChangePassword $false

The blog Is very dated.  We can use CmdLets on WS2003 and later domains (WS2003 with one Windows 7)

5. ali says:

Hi,

how I can set the Full Name for the user ID and also make it member of Local Administrators?

Thanks,

Regards.

6. Andrew Brehm says:

This totally doesn't work for me.

When I create the directory entry object like here (my computer's name is "pauly"):

$computer = [ADSI]"WinNT://pauly"

I get an object $computer that gives an error when I try to look at it:

format-default : The following exception occurred while retrieving member "PSComputerName": "Unknown error (0x80005000)

Plus it doesn't have a "create" method:

$user = $computer.Create("User", "username")

What am I doing wrong?

7. L says:

How do you check or uncheck "user must change password at next logon" and "user cannot change password"?

8. L says:

i'm using powershell 2.0 with windows 7/windserver 2008 .. no active directory -no domain

this doesn't work::@Dirk

any other ideas?

9. Dev says:

L,

you aren't in a domain, you can't use the ADUser cmdlet. Lookup another guide for creating local users through ADSI in a workgroup.

10. powershelljunkie says:

When I attempt to run the line that state $objUser.Description, I get the following exception:

Cannot set the Value property for PSMemberInfo object of type "System.Management.Automation.PSMethod".
    At C:ScriptsCreateLocalUser.ps1:109 char:10
    + $objUser. <<<< description =$description
    + CategoryInfo : InvalidOperation: (:) [], RuntimeException
    + FullyQualifiedErrorId : PropertyAssignmentException

11. powershelljunkie says:

This is the corrected code for setting description using ADSI:

$objUser.InvokeSet(‘description’,’Test User’)

12. Jeff25 says:

thanks for the script.
    any ideas how to tick the checkbox "user must change password at next logon" and add it to local administrator ?

13. Rookie1082 says:

Sorry for digging up an old thread. I need to be able to create a local user that is based on the units serial number. Either poweshell or net user would do. Hell at this point even a vbs.

I have a vbs that pulls a units serial number and then pipes it out to a temporary cmd that then is called and assigns the SN with the SET SN variable. I then tried “net user %SN% password /add” without the quotes. The user shows up as literally %SN and not the variable. Any ideas?