TechNet Blogs Upgrade & Read-Only Mode Notification

Update:  We are now done – please let us know what you think in the comments section!

As many of you may be aware, the TechNet Blogs run on the Telligent Community platform.

It's a great product, but we're a little out of date in terms of their releases.

So, on December 13th, at 10:00 pm PST, we will commence an update to the blogs platform. This update will take approximately 14 hours.

During this time, Technet Blogs will be in read-only mode. That means that there will be no new posts and that readers will be unable to post new comments.

I apologize for the temporary inconvenience, but this short term pain will result in a better blogging platform for everyone!

I'll update this post when we're back up!

the new technet blog style is a disaster. please revert to previous style!
    – messy in displaying contents,
    – subject not clearly displayed,
    – sort not based on creation date of blog
    I do not want to see comments! I want to see blog itself!!!

Hi John! Please tell if it is possible to add multiple authors to blog on technet. I need to give my collegue ability to add posts to my blog, but can’t find the way how i can do this.
    Thanks for your answer!

ooh and in this view – the blogs now sort based on the date of the comment on them. So I just popped this blog post to the top of the list merely by posting a comment on here.

Diego – I would visit his most recent post (from today) and comment there. Sorry we don’t have an easier way at current to the be in touch with TechNet Bloggers!

Here is his latest post:

Hey Susan – what Reader are you using to consume RSS?

Thank you sir. Will give that a try.

@ – we will be working on this very thing in the next few months!

Seems like we may back up. I’m seeing new comments.

@ Diego – that blog only allows comments for 90 days after the date of publishing. Our bloggers have the right to set comments to expire or persist indefinitely.

I second Susan’s observation above in regards to the sorting of comments vs. new posts ( – Is there a hidden setting I’m missing to adjust how that is done? – Thanks! Nick

I can’t post a comment to an older blog. I get “cannot create comment -access denied”. Is this because maybe the blog is closed? Particular blog I am referring to is Exchange Team blog and article is Ross Smith’s RPC Client Access.

Anonymous = me Susan.

On 12/13 the Technet blogs got an update.

Since then

a. there’s funky stuff in the view section that looks like ‘social links’ that aren’t working. I don’t see it on the page per se, but it sure is in my RSS reader.

b. in the main feed view, you’ve post page 1, page 2 ability as it only has the ability to click on more – which pages the page longer and longer

c. In the main feed view, comments now show in it. It was not like this before.

Why is there no link for the RSS Feed?

Btw what I see in my rss reader is

// // (user_display_name) likes this;, wholikesothertwotext:'(user_display_name) and 1 other likes this……. and more wording like that.

Ed – It’s because the new version of the Telligent platform uses what is called an Activity Stream. It highlights all activity, not just new posts. So if an old post receives a new comment, it gets kicked back to the top of the Stream.

Anonymous Jan 2, 2014 4:52 AM #
    Why is there no link for the RSS Feed?

Can you be more specific? What page are you not seeing an RSS link on?

I use Intravnews which pulls it inside of Outlook.

it’s better to use the style same as

@ Alla Vasilieva – I’ve sent you an email with details. Good luck!

Can somebody explain me now to navigate blogs, not search them? When you inside of the blog you can see navigation. But when you at the main page I can’t find any index or list of all available blogs. Does it exist? Thank you!

22. Ed says:

Why is it that the blogs listed at are not in chronological order. I would see some blog 15 minutes old then 2 weeks below it and then 40 minutes old right after.

23. Ed says:

@John Wood: Any way it can be filters back to the latest first? Here would be an example where the Activity Stream isn’t perfect: I can write a single comment [say “Nice”] in a 10 year old blog and it will be pushed to the top [for a while]. Useful to the majority? No.

24. Diego says:

@John, any suggestion how I can get a message to the author? Ross Smith IV profile page also gives me “access denied” when I try to leave a comment.

25. sam says:

I’m running windows 8.0

I’ve tried three times to download Visio. It says download complete but despite other programmes appearing in my download folder, this does not.

I tried using the suggested installer which won’t let me save the programme to any folder (programm files, user, download, documents, C:and many others) the message shows I don’t have rights but am logged in as administrator.

Also I cannot use the windows store for this because it doesn’t work, it have for the last year got stuck at the loading page. This also means I can’t update my OS. My laptop came direct from Toshiba with MS preloaded so I don’t have any licence keys/CDs.

I tried logging this in help but got ‘Sorry the request couldn’t be completed. Please try again later.’

Not a good user experience all round

26. moconnell1 says:

I want to email or private message (as comments don’t seem to work on his blog) how do I do this?
    the user is the (now re-blogging)