Backup Solution for Exchange Server 2007

I’ve had folks ask me about backup solutions for Exchange Server 2007 and which vendors have an agent / version that is compatible with Exchange Server 2007.  Evidently people are having difficulty finding valid backup solutions for Exchange 2007 so I thought I would look into it.  Before I get carried away with this post, I just want to point out that NTBackup will definitely work.  :-)

As for 3rd party backup vendors, I decided to do a little website snooping to see what was out there.  I found out that there are quite a few products on the market that advertises support for Exchange Server 2007.  Since there are so many different Backup products on the market, I don’t feel comfortable listing them here as I’m sure I’ll leave off one or more and will get hate emails or postings informing me that I’m a complete moron as I totally left “Product X” off my list.

Instead, I’ve decided to see how many people actually do read my blog that has implemented Exchange Server 2007 and has a backup solution in place.  This will also help all those out there who have asked me this question or who are looking for a good backup solution for their planned Exchange Server 2007 installation.  Why don’t we have folks add comments to this blog with the backup product they use.  Please include the company name, product name and version number.  Here’s an example:
Company Name: Microsoft
Product Name: Harold’s Awesome Exchange Backup Program
Version Number: 9.0.1

Thanks and let’s get lots of participation!!!

Harold Wong
harold.wong@microsoft.com

Company Name: Microsoft

Product Name: System Center Data Protection Manager 2007

Version Number: v2.0

I´ve got my eyes set on this beauty. Looks really promising.

Check out:

TechNet Webcast: Protecting Your Exchange Server with Microsoft System Center Data Protection Manager (DPM) (Level 300):

and get going @
    http://www.microsoft.com/systemcenter/dpm/default.mspx :-)

Hey look Harold – I´ve found a Level 300 session on a topic around Exchange 2007 😉

Regards / Exchange Nerd from Sweden

2. Flemming Riis says:

Company Name : Veritas

Product Name : Backup Exec

Version : 11 Build 7170

Tested in non cluster mode only works like a charm

3. Lee says:

We’re just starting our lab testing of 2007, but plan to do backups pretty much like Microsoft is doing them.  Use ntbackup to send the backups to disk.

This is much the same as we currently do it with 2003, but we then send it to tape and only hold a single days backup on disk.

With 2007, we plan on holding one full and six incrementals before cleaning off the drive.  Whether or not we then go to tape hasn’t yet been decided.  We only use the backups for DR, so long term storage isn’t necessary.

4. Peter Eggenberger, ETS says:

Looking for help in hopes of making ARCserve (r11.5) work with E2K7 / 64-bit OS.  Current information indicates that ARCserve "Disaster Recovery Option" WON’T WORK with 64-bit.

Any information to the contrary would be appreciated (and a great source of releif!… :)  )

Pete

5. Jim Dahl says:

I know this is a repeat, but the product works well.

Company Name : Veritas

Product Name : Backup Exec

Version : 11 Build 7170

By simply backing up the database you also get the "brick level" data meaning individual mailboxes and messages.

6. Wayne Anderson says:

+1 to Veritas

Option 2, if you are neglecting DAS and instead using SAN based storage solutions, I have seen customers using some of the snapshot and snap-clone features availible in NetApp hardware to provide fast-backup and backup cloning ability at the hardware level combined with a [relatively] low-cost tier-2 data store for archival.

7. RangerRM says:

We migrated to Exchange 2007 and use Backup Exec 11d to backup our Exchange Server.  We are using x64bit.  Everything works good.  We have run into some problems with Backup Exec and are looing into other Enterprise backup software i.e. CommVault.  We also are using Neverfail as our HA solution but think DoubleTake might have been a better solution.

8. Guy Fugatt says:

We are using NTBackup till they approve the purchase of Backup Exec 11.   After that its Commvault.

9. Klaus says:

Just a little comment on Symantec’s BackupExec:

Although documentation states CCRs are supported in 11d, they are not. After 2 weeks of testing they confirmed it’s not working (but they are investigating :).

So currently we only have CommVault for backing up the passive node of CCR clusters (apart from DPM Beta2).

10. Marcus says:

Company Name : Veritas

Product Name : Backup Exec with E2K7 BE Client

Version : 11d

Works awesome, however, restoring a single mail is not as intuitive as I would have hoped considering the cost of the complete solution (BE, BE Server 2003 client and BE E2K7 Client).

Took quite some knowledge-base reading and patching of the BE system until it ran right, but seems bulletproof now.

11. Mark says:

Add another for BackupExec 11d (build 7170). Hotfixes 1, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 & 12

2007 only implemented last week (transition from 2000). Running CCR with one physical node and one virtual node (VMware VI3) and a virtual CAS/HUB server (also VMWare VI3).

Unlike Klaus backup of CCR is working fine and it seems to be using the passive node automatically. Backup job does all exchange servers as part of one selection list (Nodes, cluster group & CAS/HUB). Backup data goes to disk first then a Duplication job runs to copy to tape.

One thing we did lose with the change to 2007 CCR was the BackupExec CPS function as this is not supported in cluster environments.

12. John Quigley says:

Commvault Galaxy 6.1 sp4

Exchagne 2007 Hub & Cas – deploying Mail server, backup up to DASD, then spooled to tape