Hi everyone, this is just a quick list to take in mind when configuring User Profiles Service Application:
For the Service Application:
- You have started at least one User Profile Service Instance
- You have included the service application in the connection list for the web applications, or put it in the default associations
For the Sync Service Instance
- You have the farm account included in the local Administrators group. You need this only in the server that will run the service instance.
- If you haven´t and you have just done it, restart the server
For the Syncrhonization to be completed:
- Ensure you have created a connection
- When creating the connection, ensure the user you use to populate the tree in the connection form, has the right privileges. (http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh296982(v=office.14).aspx#RDCdomain)
- Perform first a full synchronization.
For the my sites:
- Create the web application and a site collection in its root managed path (/) using the my site host template. (There are more options, but I leave this as the most common).
- The web application should have the "personal" wildcard managed path and the self service site creation enabled.
- At the user profile service application configuration page, ensure you have entered the web application url in the my site host.
For the pictures from AD
- Check that you have created the map for the picture profile property to the thumbnailPhoto AD attribute.
- If you haven't, do so and perform a full synchronization again. Check that you have pictures at the my site host site collection (by browsing into it's content).
- After that, if the pictures still does not appear, execute the Update-SPProfilePhotoStore command under the farm account credentials, or a user that has enough access to it or you will have a "Object reference not set to an instance of an object".