Microsoft App-V is the only application virtualization product capable of virtualizing Visual Studio 2010. However, you may receive the following error message when attempting to launch the primary development environment (DEVENV.EXE) within a Visual Studio 2010 package virtualized with Microsoft App-V:
The 'Environment Package Window Management' package did not load correctly.
The problem may have been caused by a configuration change or by the installation of another extension. You can get more information by running the application together with the /log parameter on the command line, and then examining the file 'C:\users\<USERNAME>\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\VisualStudio\10.0\ActivityLog.xml'.
Continue to show this error message?
This is nothing to be alramed about. This can happen if one or more of the following is missing/configured incorrectly on the App-V Client where the Visual Studio package is being deployed:
- The Microsoft .NET Framework 4 Full Profile
- The KB 2468871 Update
- Interference from the Windows Presentation Foundation Font Cache Service.
To resolve this issue, be sure to complete the following steps on all App-V Clients to which the virtualized package of Visual Studio 2010 will be deployed.
1. Install Microsoft .NET Framework 4 Full Profile. Using Microsoft Update, install all updates for Windows and .NET Framework. The full download for the .NET Framework 4 Full Profile can be found here:
2. Make sure that the following update was installed by Microsoft Update. If not, install it manually from the following location: http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=3556
3. Run services.msc and disable the Windows Presentation Foundation Font Cache service.