I have recently been spending time playing with the Azure Pack and came across a few gotchas that I figured I would blog about to hopefully help out some other folks.
When installing the Site Roles everything was going very quickly which concerned me.
I logged onto my Site Controller to see what was going on and looked at my FrontEnd install and found I was getting errors when installing the Agent.. looking through the logs there was no clear picture of what the problem was. I was installing these on Server 2012 R2 Preview.
As all the web roles require IIS I decided to check on .NET 3.5 as this is a constant struggle with Server 2012 as it is no longer available automatically.
- Click Manage
- Click Add Roles and Features
- Click Next 4 times
- Expand .NET Framework 3.5 Features
- Check .Net Framework 3.5 (includes .NET 2.0 and 3.0)
- On the next screen click Specify an alternate source path
- If you are using a VM load up the Virtual CD drive with your ISO and in the path put D:\Sources\sxs
- Click OK
- Click Install
Once .NET 3.5 finishes installing the Web Farm Agent will retry again and will be successful this time.