Hi, my name is Scott Floman, and I’m a technical writer in the Forefront Server Protection group. Every few months or so, we update our existing “legacy” documentation on our TechNet Web site, and this post is to make you aware of our recent August 2010 update. (p.s. By “legacy” content I mean products that are already supported in production environments, such as Forefront Protection 2010 for Exchange Server (FPE), Forefront Protection 2010 for SharePoint (FPSP), and our Forefront Server Security Version 10 and Antigen Version 9 products).
Some of the topics we added or provided updated information about are:
· FPE capacity planning:
· Supported operating systems and Exchange Server versions: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff921059.aspx
· Best practices for configuring FPE operations: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff716689.aspx
· Managing performance and health. We added recommended resolutions for when your health monitors are not green (“healthy”).
· Submitting malware to Microsoft for analysis. The documentation was revised because customers are advised to use the Microsoft Malware Protection Center Portal to submit malware for analysis.
· Maximizing FPSP scan engine performance: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff729711.aspx
These are just some of the updates we made. We also made smaller-scale updates in many areas, for example we updated the Forefront Server Security Management Console (FSSMC) system requirements, the FPSP Performance Monitor topic, and the FPE cluster documentation.
In addition, the Table Of Contents (TOC) on TechNet has recently undergone a reorganization, and we are also continuing to seek out ways to optimize search results so that our customers can more easily find the information that they are looking for.
Also, our team has been busy in creating videos that we hope you will find useful in learning about our products. Here are some recent FPE videos:
- Installing Forefront Protection 2010 for Exchange Server
- Verifying your Forefront Protection 2010 for Exchange Server installation
- Forefront Protection 2010 for Exchange Server Overview (part 1)
- Forefront Protection 2010 for Exchange Server Overview (part 2)
- Using PowerShell to export and import FPE configuration settings
- Using filtering in FPE
- Spam filtering in Forefront Protection 2010 for Exchange Server
So, that’s that, I just wanted to say a few words about our latest TechNet update, the TechNet TOC reorg, and our increased use of the video format. Please used the feedback feature on TechNet, because we do attempt to address all feedback received.
Also, another good resource for information is the Forefront Server Security Forum (http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-us/category/forefront) where you can read and answer questions about our products. A passport account is needed to access the Forum.
There are other Microsoft forums, blogs, and online technology sites that might prove useful as well; for more information, read this blog article:
Finally, I want to call your attention to the TechNet wiki, which you can access at the following URL: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/
This is a new community where Forefront employees and customers can post technical articles and interact with one another, much like how wikipedia works. We’re excited about the possibilities of this wiki, which we feel will be a great resource of information, so please stop by and check it out. I recently posted the following wiki articles which I hope will help customers configure our products in multi-server environments (there are also videos for these topics if you want to see a visual demonstration):
Again, thanks for your time, and feel free to e-mail me with any feedback.