The Cloud Search Service Application is a brilliant new-ish feature of SharePoint 2013 and 2016 that allows you to store your On-Premises search index in Office 365. My colleagues Manas Biswas and Neil Hodgkinson have written a fantastic guide on how to set this up here.
When I setup the Cloud SSA for the first time I run into an issue whereby I could retrieve search results from the SharePoint Online Search Center, which included items from both On-Premises and SharePoint Online, however when I submitted a search query via my On-Premises Search Center no results were returned – even from On-Premises!
It turns out there is an additional step required, I’m documenting this here as as I know others that have run into this too.
Here are the steps to rectify this:
- Launch Central Administration
- Select Manage Service Applications
- Select the Cloud SSA that you have provisioned
- Select Result Sources
- Click New Result Source
- Give it an appropriate name, select Remote SharePoint for the Protocol
- Within the Remote Service URL enter the URL of the top-level Site Collection for your tenant (e.g. https://tenant.sharepoint.com)
- Click Save
- Right click the new result source that you have just created and select Set as Default
That should hopefully sort it out for you 🙂
Brendan Griffin – @brendankarl