Excel 2003 Office File Validation (OFV) opens workbooks slower across the network

KB Article: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2570623

INTRODUCTION

After you install MS11-021 and the Office File Validation (OFV) Add-in for Office 2003 (KB 2501584 ), workbooks stored in a network location open slower over the network in Excel 2003 than they did without the OFV installed. The decrease in performance depends on the size of the workbook and bandwidth of the network and in some scenarios can seem to hang Excel.

1. B. Buiten says:

Yes, the "fix it for me" solved the problem. Thank you very much.

2. Rob Helm says:

The fixit (50741) for this problem fails on Windows Vista SP2 32-bit with error code 2738.

3. Ong Kian Ping says:

The Path is wrong

HKEY_CURRENT_USERSoftwarePoliciesMicrosoftOffice11.0

Should be

HKEY_CURRENT_USERSoftwareMicrosoftOffice11.0

4. Steve says:

I tried to run the fixit for me msi file, and on 1 system got the error, "There is a problem with this installer package, a script required for this installer to complete could not run, contact support personel or package vendor".

I also tried the manual fix, and when I went to HKCUsoftwarepoliciesMicrosoftoffice, there was no office key to go to the Office11 key.

This did not fix it for the system I am trying to run it on.  Thanks.

5. Jake G says:

Product: Microsoft Fix it 50741 — Error 1720. There is a problem with this Windows Installer package. A script required for this install to complete could not be run. Contact your support personnel or package vendor.  Custom action SetOfficeFolder_COMMAND script error -2146828283, Microsoft VBScript runtime error: Invalid procedure call or argument: 'Left' Line 99, Column 17,

Any ideas?

6. Robey says:

The fixit – when run on XPSP3 with Office 2003 seems to clear the Outlook autofill (nk2). 2 of our systems here experienced that, are there other side-effects?

Thanks-

7. RENT says:

After I used this, it worked, but now I have to cancel to operation to install it again each time I open excell the first time

8. Willem says:

Same result as Rent: After I used this, it worked, but now I have to cancel the operation to install MS Office File Validation Add-In again each time I open excell the first time. Other users without admin-rights see a progress bar about installing de Validation AddIn and after that an error it could not be installed.

On Windows Server 2008R2 with Office2003SP3.