How to disable hyperlink warning messages in 2007 Office programs and in Office 2010 programs

KB Article:

This step-by-step article describes how to prevent 2007 Microsoft Office programs and Office 2010 programs from displaying a warning message every time that you click a hyperlink in a 2007 Office program or in an Office 2010 program.

There is an error in the Microsoft KB article for the Let Me Fix It Myself instructions.  While the article says the DWORD(32-bit) data value should be a "1" in DECIMAL, if you set it to a "1" in HEXADECIMAL, the hyperlink warning is disabled perfectly and NO OTHER STEP is required.  You do not have to make a file folder location on your computer trusted, for example.…/925757

The steps to which I refer in the kb925757 article are #8 and #9 given below

8. In the right pane, right-click DisableHyperlinkWarning, and then click Modify.

9. In the Edit DWORD Value dialog box, click Decimal, and then type 1 or 0 under Value data.

Just click HEXADECIMAL instead of DECIMAL and all will be well.  This works with Office 2010 in both Windows 7 and Windows 8.  Probably worked with Office 2007 in Windows 7 but that's been so long ago, I can't remember!

2. WhoTooted says:

I have had this problem for several weeks now.

Anytime I click on my hyperlinks within Word 2007 I am presented with this warning:

"Microsoft Office has identified a potential security concern.

This location may be unsafe.

If it is another Word document I hyperlink to, after the warning is cleared it will take me to the location and bring the document to display.

However, when it is an Excel or PDF document I am hyperlinking, after I have cleared the warning, the document that would normally open and display is instead just flashing in the taskbar.

It's driving me INSANE and hampers the flow of my work in having to deal with this pop-up over 100 times in a document…it's madness.

I have tried everything under the sun.

I have added my C:/ drive paths as trusted locations; add-ins aren't required to be signed; all ActiveX controls are enables without restriction; all Macros are enabled; notifications of blocked content are disabled; check Microsoft Office documents that are from a link to suspicious web sites is not checked.

I tried every step in KB925757 to no avail, even going so far as adding the DisableHyperlinkWarnings REG_DWORD values in each .bmp; .png; .pdf; .docx; .xlsx; etc. root in Regedit.

I know that in KB925757 it references the HLINK.dll file…could this the root of my issues?

Everything is up-to date…Windows…Office Suite…Adobe…everything.

How can one disable warnings that originate from the HLINK.dll file?

Could the issue be related to the permission garbage of Windows 7?

This makes no sense…why can't I turn these warning off or disable them?!?!

This is EXTREMELY frustrating and have spent double digit hours already troubleshooting this madness.

It should be obvious I have researched this thoroughly and please don't reply with scripted responses relating to items I've already stated I have addressed above.

I am running Windows 7 Enterprise

Office 2007 Suite with Access 2003

3. The wildman from the north says:

Has anybody solved this idiocy yet??

4. yiqing says:

My friend helped me found a solution.

In PPT, select your icon that hyperlinked to your file, then Design->Action->Run program->full path of your EXE and your Data file.

For example: C:Program FilesWindows Media Playerwmplayer.exe abc.mp3.

That is it!

5. ariahna says:

I had this problem with 2007 and was able to follow the instructions above to clear up the problem.  I have just upgraded to a new, Windows 7 Computer and Access 2010.  The issue is back and now the instructions do NOT fix the issue.  This is taking up way too much of my time with security pop-ups and searching for answers.

Specifically, I have hyperlinks in an Access 2010 form that open word documents (and some PDFs).  The database and all linked files are located on my computer.

Any help with this issue would be much appreciated.

Thank you.

6. Eoin says:

Still doesn't work.   This is really stupid.  I have users who present to clients and they have to click away a warning message mid presentation.  MS should fix this permanently.   A tick box that says "do not show future security warnings"  and stop having people doing regedit.

7. AG says:

I also can't get this message to go away. What's wrong ?

8. Walter says:

Thanks, I fix the problem typing hexagetimal, thanks again

9. Lee Eyer says:

my message from a web page is "update media player immediately" I can't uninstall tne media player because it says

I am not authorized.

10. AS says:

I’m having this problem right now – only instead of it opening the document once you clear the popup, it just crashes my excel all together. Edited the registry – nothing. Changed user account control – nothing. Updated excel options – nothing. Anyone have any idea what to do next?!?!?!?!

11. SS says:

AS – Have you tried the hexadecimal edit mentioned above? as well as a restart?

12. Eduardo says:

I also have this problem.
    I’ve tried all the aforementioned variants and the message still appears. This is cumbersome.

13. Glenn Davis says:

I am working on a computer in an auditorium that multiple people use to present. The machine uses Deep Freeze and there is no reason to have this hyperlink warning in PowerPoint 2010! This is the most worthless function ever and it is not even consistent – I have the problem on one PC and not the other. WTF! I cannot have this useless ugly warning appearing in the middle of linked presentations from rather important speakers. Non of the methods to disable the warning work! I’ve wasted half the day researching this bullshit just to find everybody regurgitating the same answers. Is there anyone with a hack or method that actually works? I am uninstalling office 2010, deleting all registry entries and then trying again. Maybe the install will cooperate this time…

14. Ian G says:

How to disable hyperlink warning messages in Powerpoint 2010…
    I’ve discovered a great workaround to this problem!
    First: Create a rectangular box the same size and shape over the first hyperlinked object in your pack and then create a hyperlink to that object…
    Second: Make the rectangle 99% transparent with no line
    Third: In ‘Show mode’ click on the newly created box – a warning box will appear – allowing you to ‘Enable all Macros’
    click this option and all the other links will work without the old warning dialogue box appearing…
    Go back to the start of the show and run as normal…
    Hope this helps…!

15. Simon Menashy says:

This fix worked for me (using the fix in the article with Jim Lewis’s correction above). Thanks!

(change key from 14.0 to 15.0 for Office 2013)

DECIMAL 1 is exactly same as HEXADECIMAL 1. Did you ever learn Math?

17. Doug says:

The only thing that seems to work is modifying the EditFlags value for each class definition. It’s really ugly to implement but we did it. Unfortunately, what isn’t explained is that there’s an side-effect that can introduce its own problems. If you set
    the EditFlags per the article, users are no longer prompted to Open/Save an Office file that is accessed from a web page. Instead, the file will immediately open. This can create process issues for cases when a user needs to save a file instead of opening
    and may cause other issues. Therefore, that fix isn’t as effective as one that simply suppresses the hyperlink warning. Microsoft, please get on this and allow the DisableHyperlinkWarning message to be disabled without modifying other Windows behavior.

18. Andy Terry says:

Problem is, I do not want to embed a video in the presentation. I want the option to click on an object if I wish to display the video. All we need is a Fix IT which DISABLES these annoying and pointless messages. There is a FixIT to enable so why not
    one to disable?

19. Alaistar Huge says:

WAPageViewer is stubborn program which can make serious mistakes on your computer. It can redirect your search and can download many unwanted programs to your computer. It modify the settings of your default browser and also change the DNS setting. To
    remove it completely visit here