Uninstall Internet Explorer 8

Fix it Uninstall or remove Internet Explorer 8 – restores your previous version.

Technical details about this Microsoft Fix it solution
Name: Microsoft Fix it 50238
Old Name: Uninstall Internet Explorer 8
Version 1.0.1Automates steps in KB957700.
Additional Information: Localized in 23 languages

Next steps if you just finished running this Fix it solution

1. Restart your computer to complete the removal of Internet Explorer 8.
  2. To verify that it worked, or for additional help and support, visit our Internet Explorer Solution Center (your version is displayed at top of that page). You can also check your version in Internet Explorer by clicking About Internet Explorer on the Help menu (or press ALT+H+A).

Having a problem running this Fix it solution?

Error message: A Script Required For This Install To Complete Could Not Be Run

Error message: Unexpected error installing this package. The error code is 2738.

Error message: A Service Pack or Windows Update is blocking the “Fix it” from uninstalling Internet Explorer 8.

This occurs if Internet Explorer 8 is not removable. For example, if you install Service Pack 3 (SP3) for Windows XP after you install Internet Explorer 8 then you must uninstall SP3 before you can remove Internet Explorer 8. Then reinstall SP3. This extra step is required in order to get SP3 to properly update your previous Internet Explorer files from Windows XP.

Other things to try if you don’t want to uninstall

Try Compatibility View?

Internet Explorer 8 can display a Web site like Internet Explorer 7. Just click the Compatibility View button on the toolbar (to the right of the Web site address).

Compatibility view button

Reset Internet Explorer?

Fix it Reset Internet Explorer settings

Download the final release?

Download

Technical details about this Microsoft Fix it solution
Name: Uninstall Internet Explorer 8 (Windows Vista, Windows XP)
Version 1.0.0
Automates alternative steps that are documented in Microsoft Knowledge Base article 957700.

• Does not run on Windows 7 beta. In this scenario, you receive:
    “This update does not apply to your system”
  • Does not run if Internet Explorer 8 is not installed .
  • Blocks if a Service Pack or Update restricts IE from being uninstalled
  • Removes two settings left behind after uninstall
  • Prompts for reboot after completion

Greetings eddieprivett,

Thank you for taking the time to submit a comment.  To resolve the issue please try using Internet Explorer in compatibility mode.  To do this please do the following:

-Open Internet Explorer 8 and navigate to the site that is displaying incorrectly.

-To the right of the address bar, please click Compatibility View.

The button is depicted above.

Sincerely,

-Mark

昨年はじめてレンチを握った彼(ボタン)を見たとき 「ハイジャックか?」 とも思ったのですが なかなかどうして IE8 のアンインストーラーをリリースしたり Ti…

@Robert Baumgartner

Do you have "Spybot Search&Destroy" installed? Anyhow, please have a look into the Restricted Sites Zone (Internet Options -> Security -> Restricted Sites -> Sites). In case you’ll find hundreds of sites/domains listed in there, that’s   most likely the reason for the slowdown. It’s caused by using "Immunize IE" in "Spybot S&D" for instance.

@CArolynn Alvord

Please try a "regsvr32 oleacc.dll" in a Command window (you’ll have to start a new command windows running as Adminstrator in case you’re on Windows Vista). Shut down all IE windows before that action and log off and log on afterwards.

@jay jones and Alan

This may be related to Smart Screen Filter included in IE8. You may want to ask Symantec for further instructions.

@Stefan

It may be worth trying to install IE8 on another (Virtual or real) PC/machine and copy & paste the (hidden and system) folder "IE8" from there to your machine on which you may want to uninstall IE8. You may also want to consider posting the issue into http://www.quakelive.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=26

(see also http://www.quakelive.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11847)

@Ron Ridley

See my comment above to Robert Baumgartner. Would you like to share the exact wording of the error message you’re receiving while doing what exactly? Have you tried resetting IE (Internet Options -> Advanced) already? Which Windows version are you using IE8 on?

Bye, Freudi

A post by Anand Khanse, a Windows Desktop Experience MVP from India – Troubleshooting Windows Vista Search

It seems all I get to do is find the KB article

which leads you too , guess what, I would set aside 4-6 Hr. to do a 20 Min. job

" and this too shall pass away " . You wont be around.

Have faith, look where it’s gotten you.

I upgraded to IE8 yesterday and have had nothing but problems with my email and IE.  Links in my emails won’t open, takes forever to open IE.  I tried to FIX IT 50235 and it says it does not apply to my operating system or application version.  It’s not located in my ADD and REMOVE programs so I cannot uninstall it there either.  Internet Explore 7 is in the ADD and REMOVE programs.  What do I do?  I just want IE8 off my computer and IE7 back on and working.  Also, all my desktop icons disappeared so did the start and task bar, search is gone too and so is help and support.

Also, I uninstalled my Microsoft Office Pro 2000 in ADD and REMOVE and installed to my D drive from my C drive and it’s longer there.  It shows up in ADD and REMOVE, but won’t let me repair it or remove it.  When I put the CD in it says This Patch Package could not be opened, contact application vendor which is you.  The file it needs is on the CD  "DATA.MSI, but it says the patch package could not be opened.  I read similar cases about this happening when uninstalling it from ADD and REMOVE to change the C drive to the D drive.  So how do you fix it??  Now I don’t have Word, Power Point, Excel, etc….  It doesn’t even show up in the registry to delete it from there so I could reinstall it.  The only thing that did was under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESOFTWAREMicrosoftWindowsCurrentVersionUninstall {00000409-78E1-11D2-B60F-006097C998E7}  then on the right side it said   DISPLAY NAME       Reg_SZ      Microsoft Office Pro 200 SR Premium    so I deleted that one file.  Didn’t help.  How do I put that file back in the registry?

Can anyone help me??  I have spent the last 24 hours trying to figure this out.

Thank you.

7. Robert Baumgartner says:

These programs are not running or fixing my problems. Internet Explorer running slow and viscous. Sometimes quits. This RegTool.com is a malware on Microsoft products and Windows. Suggest you do something to fix it.

Robert Baumgartner

8. Bernard Pavlik says:

I cannot play video clips from Internet Explorer

9. CArolynn Alvord says:

IE 8.0: TROUBLE!!!! Cannot click links on pages I need.  Pictures do not show in web pages, tool bar on IE is all black, and Fixit doesn’t work on my system,  plus doesn’t show up in Add remove programs.

GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!

10. Geovay Roman says:

omg what is wrong with internet 8 this sucks i cant see xat’s and plus cannot see pictres ethier wth !!!!!!!!

11. Leshika Ward says:

I want to uninstall Internet Explorer 8 because it is not compatible to myitlab. Also it will not let me login.

12. jay jones says:

norton phishing protection keeps turning off when you opened internet explorer.

13. alan says:

Installed IE 8 beta on 8th March: Norton 360[2] started ‘browser not secured against phishing’ every IE run. Installed IE 8 upon release but it doesn’t run at all. Tried all methods listed to uninstall but no success whatsoever.

14. eddieprivett says:

wells fargo bank  willnot  work with ie 8

15. Zenaida M says:

"fix It" did not seem to uninstall Explorer 8

16. Unhappy Customer says:

Simply third class release which refuses to load after install

17. Stefan says:

Even with "fix it" I can’t uninstall IE8 – I guess because I removed the installation files for IE8 beta, which I installed before.

Too bad, because I can’t play QUAKE LIVE with IE8.

18. cathy says:

Installed IE8 on March 25. Tried all methods listed to uninstall but no success whatsoever, including FixIt. Now IE 7 won’t even work so I have no browser at all and I need it for work on Monday (it’s Thurs night). IE7 starts with no toolbar or menu bar and immediately crashes. What to do?

19. Ron Ridley says:

This wouldn’t remove IE8. Just gave me the same type of eror message that I get all the time since downloading IE8. You should have labeled IE8 as beta. I would never have downloaded it if you had.

I can no longer see anything on the internet that uses flash, not video, not images. The flv files on my computer that I used to play will no longer now.

Also IE8 is noticably slower than IE7.

20. giancarlo_finazzi@hotmail.it says:

non supporta internet explorer 8.Cosa posso fare per istallarlo?

in attesa di un vostro aiuto vi ringrazio

Giancarlo Finazzi

21. karl krebers says:

I could not enlarge pages or pictures from web-sits but I need it. so i go back to Explorer 7.

22. Vickie says:

Since i installed IE 8 my photo empressions won’t send pics with outlook express.. what do i do?

23. Tyler James Ronek says:

I have IE8Beta.. and when I run fixit .. a message displays "this does not apply to your system"

24. Frenkie says:

Guys,about the Flash Problem, you just uninstall the adobe flash player, and then install it again, and it will work.

For me is very strange, on my work computer, IE8 is like "Fast and the Furious", really amazing fast, but on my home computer I cannot even open it, that is why I’m here.

25. Dean says:

Uninstall internet explorer 8 will not uninstall.

Tried numerous times. Will not remove using "add/remove programs" in Control panel.There is also an update for ie8 that is sitting to be installed and i cannot get rid of it. The first window that pops up indicates that the update did not install and then the next window that pops up says installed successfully. The same update keeps popping up again and again.

This last update for ie8 also creates all kinds of problems with office 2003.

26. Erica says:

I can’t uninstall Internet Explorer 8 either. Halfway through uninstalling it, I get an error message implaying something about Windows Nt. I also used the fix it tool. It did not uninstall it. I even tried a system restore. I got rid of ie8 that way but ie7 was disabled. I have been asking in tech forums on how to uninstall XP Sp3 and Ie8. Nobody has given me instructions on how to do it yet. Hopefully, you can help me. Thank you.

27. Doug says:

Installed IE8 only to learn that it breaks the DigiDesign ProTools (professional sound recording software) application to the point it won’t start. So, I tried removing it using the "do it your self" method. This method only removes the Icons, and leaves the application intact. The "Fix it for me" application rolls back to IE7.

Lesson: Use IE8 at your own risk. For me, the risks outweigh any perceived benefits.

28. Juan says:

I gave IE 8.0 a try for a couple of weeks but got tired of constant slow down and network issues when switching web pages over my wireless network.  I used the "Fix it for me" application and it got me back to IE7.

29. Zeke4 says:

Blame Microsoft’s so called developers for not being compliant with the web standards instead of trying to create their own crappy standard

30. alan says:

This situation is inexcusable. IE 8 is malware.

31. Erica says:

I believe the fix it tool reinstalls IE8 instead of uninstalling it. Microsoft if your reading this. Please fix the fix it tool to where it actually uninstalls IE8 not reinstall it. I still can’t remove IE8 from the add/remove programs. I click remove and halfway unstalling…this Copy Error Msge pops up. So you all need to put something within next round of updates to where we can install this IE8.

32. Erica says:

"uninstall this IE8".

I meant to say. There is no edit or delete button on here.

33. paula says:

I can’t uninstall Internet Explorer 8 either. I have attempted to uninstall IE8 for approximately 2 weeks. Halfway through uninstalling it, I get an error message, "Copy Error".  It says, "Setup cannot copy the file iexplore.exe.mui."  "Ensure that the location specified below is correct, or change it and insert "Windows NT Service Pack Uninstall Directory" in the drive you specify."

I don’t know what that means!

In the location box below the above comment, contains the following: "C:WINDOWSie8"

Please help me uninstall IE8 and go back to IE7 or IE6.

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

Paula

34. tom says:

Wow this stuff is great!  Now for the truth IE8 is not working I can’t uninstall SP3 by any of the methods posted!  Who is in charge me or the PC?  It will not do what I want but will do what Bill wants?  Comon guys this is worse than Vista…. time to buy a MAC?

35. Steve says:

Switched to Firefox….problem sorted.

36. suebee says:

I tried all of the above listed options to uninstall internet explorer 8 on vista, including copying/pasting code, going through windows update, etc. and nothing seemed to work.  I don’t have a clue what possessed me to do it, but I opened up internet explorer from my desktop (I already had/have a different browser)…and did the following:

clicked "tools", scrolled down to windows update.  Went to the section where it allowed me to choose windows components to update, and I selected internet explorer 8.  I let the update download & install on its own.  Once that was done, from the same screen, I clicked "installed updates"…ie8 was now second (on my list at least!) in this part of windows update.  I highlighted it, clicked un-install and…*poof* bye bye internet explorer!  Hopes this helps peoples out there 🙂

37. Mike Moseley says:

I successfully uninstalled ie8 with the fixit tool.  Now when I go to Microsoft Update, ie8 is shown as a critical update.  Please remove this soon.  When the next round of critical updates come, this has to be an optional install.

38. ml says:

I’ve been on this crazy computer for the last few weeks trying to figure what in the heck is going on with it. All of a sudden it just acted awful. So slow, and just not functioning like it did before. The only thing different was the IE8. Now I see there’s all kinds of problems. I can’t even use my printer. I can’t even uninstall it. Because it was installed before Win.XP SP3, which was an autoupdate.I changed the settings for the updates too. No more without my knowledge. My new laptops been acting funny to, and I upgraded it to IE8. Now I’m having the same problems with it. All kinds of errors, you could take a shower till it downloads a page. It had IE8 listed in the add/remove. But no infoas to size date nothing. Then right under it had software update, also no info. Then it had the update (KB9682200. Had all the info. But when highlighted it had the add/remove option. So I hit remove. It took everything out but the first IE8.  Now to go into add/remove.. the IE8 has all the info beside it, and no remove option. I’m afraid to remove the SP3. I see someone else had more problems then. I don’t know enough about computers to know what to do that’s real technical.. like the alternative options.I trusted Microsoft to do what was best to keep things running smoothly. It was suggested I just wipe everything out and reinstall the original disk. But have too many genealogy and other sites marked and files. What can I do to get this thing working properly, or just working period!  Been contacting Dell to get the printer up and running if I can. But it’s just not working. Different forums I’ve read all have negative comments about IE8. I wish I had seen them before. I have a family member who said they had communication problems, lost their internet connection to aol, and their wireless card. That’s why as soon as I told her about all the wierd stuff going on with this machine, she asked when it started and whatI did differently. I need to uninstall it from the laptop vista, but will probably have the same problem because of the SP3. Contin. getting error messages. It never fails… there’s always a problem with something.And usually it can be fixed… but this, I have my doubts. I saw someone wrote they are using another browser. I’ve only ever used IE but if it would fix the problem will try another.

39. Manx says:

You can try this method to uninstall IE8 completely from the system

40. Saleh hassaan says:

Can anyone help me in my problem plz because it has mad.

i am using IE8 on winxp Sp3

when ever i open new tab its say that it has recovered the tab. and then IE 8 stops from responding and then i need to close it. so plz if anyone can provied me the solution for it i will be thanxfull to him

Ragards

M.saleh

41. Chris says:

This is fuhking stupid, a Windows utility is not compatible with Windows!? What kind of idiots made this uninstall utility?

42. sarah says:

Total garbage. Microsoft have gone so downhill the last few years it is a frace. vISTA A DISASTER AND EVERYONE WAITING FOR WINDOWS 7 BUT NOW THIS EXPLORER 8 IS TERRIBLE, SLOW AND BUGGY. (EXCUSE CAPS) so I think I will be reluctant to get windows 7 also as nothing works anymore with you!

rubbish

43. Lori says:

It now takes me FOREVER to get anything done on my computer due to IE8!  20 minutes to load every single program only to have it freeze up again after it finally loads!

44. Sveni says:

after installing IE8 under Vista x64 Ultimate my windows explorer needs some seconds to display my drives…. ( the explorer seems to hang for a while… )

I uninstalled IE8 and everything went normal…

45. connie says:

I’ve installed and now removed IE8 for the second time.  It is a total disaster, the best I can say for it.  Slows down my system on a regular basis, stops me from signing in to my email sight and keeps me from opening too many things I want to open. Having trouble with Flash among them.  Switched to Firefox; faster, cleaner and no problems.  Microsoft needs to do a better job the next time.  Vista is enough of a problem without IE8 adding to this.  Oddly enough this only happens on the PC, but the Laptop is fine with Vista and IE8.  Of course it doesn’t have all the programs loaded as the PC.  Let’s hope 7 isn’t the same mess as Vista.  Both my computers are new and came with Vista.  Both should be upgraded at no cost or next time I purchase Apple.  Wasting too much money with the "latest" experiments from Seattle.

46. Garry Jones says:

HAD ie7 , downloaded IE8. Everything has gone to la la land.  No ikon.  Not showing in Control Panel "add/remove"

47. Rich says:

The purple reference tabs now make it difficult to determine which tab is active.  I now often close the wrong tab.

My email links no longer default to google’s gmail despite making that selection.  It gives me a registry error and then forces Outlook.

48. Eric says:

XP SP3: after IE8 install: desktop broken (unable to change background images) and the window handling extremely slow in any application (a window close you can see wipe off in chunks across the screen)

49. Ron says:

can i remove explorer 8 from windows 7? if so how

50. Ed Jennings says:

After installing IE8, every time I closed it, an error box would pop up "The instruction at 0x5ff3b322 referenced at 0xffafa0b4. The memory could not be read. Click on OK to terminate the program."

After clicking OK, the box would disappear and then re-appear.  Usually this only presented twice, but sometimes 3 or 4 times.  I noted no other computer issues, and could restart IE8.  The only issue seemed to be on shutting down IE8, so I uninstalled it using the "Fix it for me" tool.  Worked fine.  I’m back to IE7, and immediately noticed an improvement in speed.

I went to Windows Update, selected the IE8 Critical update, and checked the box "Don’t remind me again."

My suggestion to M$FT is to move IE8 from "Critical" to optional update.  After about another year, I might try it again.

If reports still abound with errors, I will eventually move to Linux.  (Sorry, Apple, after screwing your IIGS people years ago, I will not go to MAC… EVER)

51. cold Friday says:

The Uninstall did not revert back to IE7.  IE8 remains with many problems.  MS browser abandoned except for windows updates

52. disappointed says:

After uninstalling ie8, the control panel says ie7 has came back. But IE doesn’t open now. It tries to open it, then shut down w/o error message.

If I reinstall ie8, it works fine.

However, I want to use ie7.

53. Gerald Simons says:

Software that comes with my HP Deskjet D4360 printer is not compatable with EX8, I jsut bought it and was told it is the latest model of the simple deskjet. How come the software doesn’t work with the latest EXP.

My Microsoft wireless key board and mouse keep going down with it too. Keep getting message that Intellemouse is shutting down. when I check the status it comes up operational ???????

54. C.K. says:

I don’t know about the result yet, but thanks to fix anyway…

Maybe I think IE8 is the luckless browser than IE7.

Dont’ you think so?

55. Larry F says:

When the Uninstall Tools/Fix for Internet Explorer 8 do not work try doing a System Restore using a date prior to when you installed IE 8.  This gets rid of IE 8 and takes you back to IE 7.  Only problem is that each time new updates appear on Windows Update, IE 8 will continue to show up.  Be sure to "uncheck" the box for IE 8 before installing other updates or you will get this piece of crap back on your system every time you perform a Windows Update !

56. Duxing says:

���������IE8,�ٶ�ȷʵ��,ҳ��Ҳ�ܿ���;��ʵ�������,�ڶ��γ�����Ȼ�������(�Ƿ����ڼ��ݷ����)����,ʹ��IE8���ҵ�½����Mesenger �Լ���˾��վ��ͼƬҲ�ϴ�����.�Ѿ�ж�ػָ���IE7,�ֱ����Ƶ�8����.�治֪����Ǻ�?

57. Andy says:

All the same problems as everyone else no here…. So uploaded Firefox and used that instead. Problem solved.

58. Alba says:

CRIMINALS!!! Microsoft is the biggest inhibitor to American progress.

59. Alba says:

unstall SP3, then uninstall ie8, install ie7.

60. Bernt Hubert says:

Microsoft now owe me for 48 hours usesless work trying to get IE8 to function.

Uninstall gave me IE6 – not IE7 back!

Hallelula Microsoft, see to the Norwegian Opera browser – that works!!!!!!

61. ihuntmidgets says:

I can not explain the frustration of having to change setting after setting to ATTEMPT to make it work to somewhat of a normal standard of a functional web browser.

All in all, I am not fan of this. I’ll try ie8, when ie9 comes out. Thanks

62. 으악 says:

이걸해도 삭제가안된다고 ㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋ

63. RedSt8r says:

IE8 installed via MS Updates. Caused entire system to become slow, sluggish, viscous unless I did a cold boot. Walking away for an hour two and system again got slow, sluggish and viscous.

Attempted to uninstall via "FixIt4Me" and "FixItMyself". Neither worked. Every time I rebooted (part of uninstall process) I watched "upgrades 2 of 3" go to 100% but #3 never did. After shutting down and rebooting I got a blue screen, then startup repair (failed to repair) and I innocently "restored". Thus returning to IE8.

— UNTIL — online support said, don’t restore, don’t repair. Just let system shut down and reboot "normally". Viola’ upgrade 3 of 3 then completed, IE8 was uninstalled and IE7 was restored. So, moral is don’t do a repair when uninstalling IE8 and don’t "restore" either. Just shut down and reboot. When it comes back up, shut down and reboot a second time (maybe 3rd too?).

BTW running Vista Business 64 bit with 4 gig ram and 2.53 ghz core 2 duo intel.

64. dakewldude says:

Using fix it for me…..I successfully reverted back to IE7 and have no problem whatsoever mentioned by posters above.  I am just happy to be back to IE7.

65. Peter Gray says:

This the second time I’ve removed IE8. I’m using VISTA and Windows Mail but am unable to open email attachments when IE8 installed.

Fix It was simple and fixed the problem on both occasions.

66. dinesh says:

Dear Sir,

i want to uninstall IE8 from my laptop,

so pls help me how to remove

67. Fernanda says:

tenho o mesmo problema ja aki apresentado pela paula  dai ke passo a copiar o texto dela

Eu não é possível desinstalar Internet Explorer 8 quer. Procurei desinstalar o IE8 para cerca de 2 semanas. Meio desinstalá-lo, recebo uma mensagem de erro, erro de cópia. Ele diz, "instalação não pode copiar o arquivo iexplore.exe.mui." "Assegurar que o local especificado abaixo é correcto, ou alterá-la e insira"Windows NT Service Pack desinstalar diretório"na unidade de que especificar".

Não sei o que isso significa!

Na caixa localização abaixo o comentário acima, contém o seguinte: "C:WINDOWSie8"

Ajude-me desinstalar IE8 e voltar à IE7

o meu muito obrigado , ja tentei tudo ate usei o Fix it.

68. EthelS says:

I uninstalled Internet Explorer 8 for the following reasons:

1) IE8 would disable NIS 2009 Anti-Phishing Protection.

2) InPrivate Browsing prevents Norton Parental Control from blocking Blocked List to a point.

For example, a category in Parental Control blocks inappropriate sites, but Live Search displays results of pornography sites through a Blocked Website that I discovered was a fake website. In this list, some sites are blocked and some are not. So I do not know if InPrivate Browsing has set limits on allowing an internet security suite on blocking such sites.

I understand that some Microsoft Family Safety program disables InPrivate Browsing. That idea I liked. Why not let other internet security programs be allowed to disable InPrivate Browsing?

After IE8 was uninstalled, the following occurred after Windows Security Updates were installed:

1) IE7 was still accessing IE8:

a) Settings website

b) Support Website

c) Add-Ons – possibly IE8. In any event,

there are a lot of Add-Ons than before

I installed IE8.

d) Links: Suggested Sites, Hotmail, Web Slices

The major difference I noticed that I now have more memory. Make the Final Final IE8 light. Who needs all the crap that came with IE8?

69. EthelS says:

I forgot to add that when Windows automatically updated after I uninstalled IE8, I decided to do Custom Install rather than recommended. I am glad I chose Custom Install. Then I would be faced with inadvertent Re-Installation of IE8 through one of the Optional Updates. I surely hope that IE8 updates do not show in the future. Can you please make sure that it does NOT. Thanks so much for allowing us to give you feedback on IE8.

70. John P. Guckel says:

Why does it seem to be the ongoing policy of Microsoft to release software without proper in house pre-Beta testing? It appears that WE, the general public, are the Guinea Pigs to shake down ALL Microsoft products and updates. Just think Microsoft ….. you wouldn’t need Fit It if you did your own homework FIRST, before releasing Beta Versions!

71. EthelS says:

I noticed today that IE8 websites (including IE8 Installation website) still show up in Favourites and Help, Send Feedback rather than IE7. Is there a way to remove these default IE8 websites to IE7? Thanks so much.

72. Adrian Rudnyk says:

Yesterday I installed IE8 and the menu system is all screwed up:

1. The standard menu is screwed up where there should be File, View, Edit, Help etc. it is all black.

2. Text is over other text in the menu bars.

3. Address bar is messed up.

4. Three long thick rows of black.

and the list goes on.

I just ran the your Fix it Program and it didn’t work. What should I do?

My computer is an HP with a speed of  3GHz and 1GB of RAM with an Intel D-Processor.

This is unacceptable. This product should’ve been properly tested before its release.

73. Matt Healey says:

Fix it removed IE8 completely. IE ( back to 7 )now loads and opens new tabs at the quick speed it sued to and my pc is no longer sluggish to perform any task which became the case after installing IE8.

Its a shame this tool had to be created but it works really well.

Just need to remember to click the "Dont Install" option when it turns up again.

74. Trumaine says:

I am soooooo over this stupid explorer 8. I have tried contacting microsoft over it and they keep directing me elsewhere to stupid things that dont work because explore 8 wont let it. I’m sooo angry and frustrated after days of frigging around I NEED SOME HEEEELLLLPPP.

75. Upset explorer & Vista User says:

I actually laugh’d for the first time tonite after reaching this comment page. I have had 90% of the same problems listed. I have for 2 yrs. now been fighting Vista w/compatibility problems. Even on an E-mail friends list w/Microsoft tech. Rediculous!! Thanks Microsoft now I get to deal w/ya crappy web browser on top of it!!!! Just stop w/ ya improvements. Stop w/windows 7 I refuse to buy the crap untill you finish what u started w/Vista. I promise you last time I ever purchase a microsoft product. Even ya windows live breaks now. Saving up for a Mac!! Maybe you should give us an OS for free to make up for ya huge mistakes these last couple years. Stocks will drop trust me on that!

76. Upset Vista & Explorer user says:

I tried this & it worked for Vista> Go to start tab Type in box Cmd.exe then right click it & run as admin, & then paste this >

FORFILES /P %WINDIR%servicingPackages /M Microsoft-Windows-InternetExplorer-8*.mum /c "cmd /c echo Uninstalling package @fname && start /w pkgmgr /up:@fname /norestart"

Then click enter. close pop screens it will tell u to restart do so…trust me you will be back to previous version 7 & happy! Computer runs fast again!! yippe!!!

77. since installing ie8 two days ago i have had nothing but pop ups telling me that it cannot display the web site and pop ups telling me web sites have been blocked,i have tryed every which way to cancel these but to no avail.I tryed uninstalling ie8 with the fix it tool it just reinstalled it and i still have same problem.To top it all i dont use ie i have been using firefox since last year and that is set as my main browser, i am ready for doing a system restore or throwing my laptop through the window,come on microsoft pull your socks up get it sorted.

78. Jorge Gustavson says:

I used this "Fix it" to uninstall IE8. The Fix it REQUIRES a reboot! It will seem as if it isn’t working until you reboot your machine.

I missed the little popup box at first, telling me to reboot, and I thought it hadn’t done anything at all. Then, I saw it, I rebooted, and it continued performing uninstall steps (even through the reboot startup).

Voila! IE8 is now gone and I’m back to IE7 on my Vista SP1 installation.

As far as IE8 goes? Terrible, terrible, terrible browser! I have my XP system with IE7 sitting side-by-side, with dual monitors that I can switch around. I took a look at some websites that were giving me trouble on IE8 (waiting, waiting, waiting forever for the page to load, little progress bar is stuck at 80% done….) and these same exact pages work FINE on IE7. It was so brutally obvious that IE8 is really broken, it can’t even load some significant portion of the websites out there. Compatibility mode was not the fix, because these pages never got to the point of being rendered or displayed!

My Vista machine is pretty new, and I’ve been slowly installing software on it. I’ve got Visual Studio 2005 and 2008, and Office 2003. Aside from that, there are no major software packages installed. As soon as I went to IE8 (the last system change I made), I started having issues. First of all, things which rely on Java seemed to break (eg, Charles Schwab’s "StreetSmart.com" online trading platform software). Then, I started noticing these pages that would not load… maybe 5% of all the pages I browse to wouldn’t load. On one website, I could browse and shop, but when I tried to view my shopping cart, I got "stuck", hung, waiting for the page to load. I thought it was the website. Nope. It was IE8.

Now that I’ve uninstalled it, things seem much happier. The Fix It for Me solution worked. I’m sorry to see others having trouble with it. The manual uninstallation steps look painful.

79. Lurker says:

Will the people leaving comments please make at least SOME attempt to seem literate and educated, and take a little care with your spelling, punctuation, and so forth?

I enjoy reading the comments until I get to drivel like this:

————

" but to no avail.I tryed uninstalling ie8 with the fix it tool it just reinstalled it and i still have same problem.To top it all i dont use ie i have been using firefox since last year and that is set as my main browser, i am ready for doing a system restore or throwing my laptop through the window,come on microsoft pull your socks up get it sorted."

—————

Jesus people, if you want your comments to be taken seriously, put a tiny bit of effort into making it readable, intelligible, and maybe even intelligent-sounding.

80. Kevin says:

I installed IE8 a few months ago. Worst decision of my life.

I tried to uninstall it, but its still there. I tried to uninstall SP3, no joy. Re-installed IE8 and now it doesn’t work properly. It keeps on closing itself down, after an error message.

So, installed Firefox, and quite frankly I don’t know why I didn’t do this years ago. Firefox is stable and 100 times FASTER!!!

I installed Opera too, and that is also excellent.

IE for me is now just a corrupt piece of software on my computer that I can’t use. I hate it.

81. David says:

I had trouble with Explorer 8 as soon as it was installed.  This led me to install Firefox and I have never been happier.  Thank you Microsoft

82. Jessica3 says:

Which "Fix It" was used? I’m trying to find some way to uninstall IE8 which I stupidly installed on my work computer. Now, I can’t access vital programs that require IE to run! Firefox doesn’t have the proper ActiveX control.

I’ve done everything. IE8 shows up in the Add/Remove Programs list but there is no "Remove" button. The spunist.exe command that everyone is saying to run is not found anywhere on my computer! I have all my hidden files/system files showing, and I have SP2. Nothing works!!!!

Please help. I’ve even tried deleting reg keys, reinstalling IE8…tried reinstalling IE7 but it won’t because it detects IE8 on the system.

83. Jessica3 says:

Update on my comment above. I can’t find this supposed Fix It to uninstall IE8. Where is it? Can someone provide me a link? Thanks.

84. Linda says:

I am also very frustrated and to the point of throwing my comp out the window. I’ve never experienced this kind or problem when downloading a new version of IE. If it wasn’t compatible or some other reason, all I had to do was uninstall it and then the previous IE would be back with no problems. This is horrible!! I’ve done several system restores but so far run into problems. I tried the FIX IT and it doesn’t work. I’ve been trying to unistall IE8 since I installed in on May 31,2009 and today is June 13th. It takes forever for the browser to appear if it does at all. Over all I’m having the same problems as all the others above. My OP is Windows XP. I will never do another IE update again!! Please find an easy fix to this problem Microsoft.

85. Janae Keyes says:

IE8 Seems to not lo me into my myspace yahoo classmates etc. It’s terrible. and fix it doesn’y and won’t work.

86. Janae Keyes says:

IE8 Seems to not lo me into my myspace yahoo classmates etc. It’s terrible. and fix it doesn’t and won’t work.

87. Janae Keyes says:

88. Carol says:

Each time I.E. 8 comes through in Automatic Updates, I have all of the problems listed above!! I am successful in uninstalling it and going back to I.E. 7. My question is:

By stopping it from coming through Automatic Updates, how do I know if I need the other updates coming through at the same time and how can I allow only those critical items to download and install??

89. margie says:

I did not install IE8..but the security updates installed..now I can’t get into any room on Yahoo..should I unistall them?

90. Rachael says:

I uninstalled IE and keep getting update messages to download IE! Microsoft is just like our government, in my face! I am happy with Mozilla but the updates for IE drives me crazy. Any ideas?

91. DVD To Blackberry Converter says:

The computer appears on the Vista laptops but "you do not have permission to use network resourse" error appears. I have searched the internet but nothing works.

92. aplayerin says:

i tried the fixit but it does not get show the fixit tool but by god’s grace i found ie8 removal tool on the following website and it worked like a charm for me

93. Chyavan says:

To uninstall Internet Explorer 8, follow these steps:

1. Carefully select and then copy the following command:

2. Click Start, and then type Cmd.exe in the Start Search box.

3. In the list of programs, right-click Cmd.exe, and then click Run as administrator.

Note If you are prompted for an administrator password or for confirmation, type the password, or click Continue.

4. Right-click inside the Administrator: Command Prompt window, and then click Paste to paste the command that you copied in step 1.

5. Press ENTER to uninstall Internet Explorer 8.

6. When the uninstall program is finished, restart your computer.

If IE 8 toolbar appears Black, change the windows appearance.

In Xp- Right click on desktop, select properties, under appearance change it to classic or whatever you like.

Then launch IE.

94. Chyavan says:

to uninstall IE8 from XP Click Start, and then click Run.

In the Open box, type Cmd.exe, and then press ENTER.

copy the following command, and paste it in command prompt.

%windir%ie8spuninstspuninst.exe

Press Enter

95. Vic Hsu says:

#  re: Uninstall Internet Explorer 8

Sunday, September 13, 2009 6:49 PM by Chyavan

It worked…

Thanks

96. Server Support says:

When click on any hyperlinks from Mail or any other program then that links take ages to open and sometime just hangs

97. john preston says:

I uninstalled exp 8 because it slowed my computer down dramatically. Now it is slower than when i had the exp 8. all my programs are screwed up. what have you morons done now? what should i do. I am screwed.

98. S. Paul says:

I have attempted to uninstall IE8 and its updates for numerous reasons.

Halfway through the uninstall I get a Copy error msge stating" Setup cannot copy the file hmmapi.dll.mui. Ensure that the location specified below is correct, or change it and insert "Windows NT Service Pack Uninstall Directory" in the drive you specify.  Then it states in the lower box to copy files from C:WINDOWSie8.

Needless to say I can’t find this file anywhere. What can I do to remove this from the puter. IE 7 worked just fine and I wish to return to that browser.

99. Denise Laitinen says:

Once more microsoft has created a nightmare for people IE8 is one of the worst pieces of crap they have ever come out with, for one thing they have reverted to stack pages again and prefetch is being over loaded. Why do they lie and say the did away with stacks when all the did was rename it?  It also appears that once you delete this piece of crap you may not not be able to access the internet. I cant get my head around Bill Gates becoming a billionaire by inventing a virus program like windows and then infecting millions and millions of computers with it

100. Clarissa says:

I have vista and my computer got a virus. I removed the virus using combofix but now everything works on my computer except IE. I can click on it but nothing happens. I tried to uninstall IE and and install again but it still says it exists. I can’t delete it from the uninstall area in the control panel because it doesn’t exist there but it does exist in the program files. How do I get rid of it and if I do will anything happen to vista if there is no IE on my computer?

101. Japanimoo says:

Internet Explorer 8 has blocked my users from downloading the conent on my website. How can they release this software with so many bugs?? Hey, IE8, it’s not hard to run a nice, smooth browser! Consult with Google Chrome and Firefox and get it right for once.

102. A U CBRL says:

삭제가안되네요

괜히 깔았네요IE8ㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋ게임도못하고뭔고생이냐 수고하십쇼

103. A U CBRL says:

삭제가안되네요

괜히 깔았네요IE8ㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋ게임도못하고뭔고생이냐 수고하십쇼

104. A U C BRL says:

삭제가안되네요

괜히 깔았네요IE8ㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋ게임도못하고뭔고생이냐 수고하십쇼

105. rundmc_au says:

Click on Start >> RUN >> CMD

then Copy and paste below, this has fixed my issue which was freezing IE or slow on opening pages.GUD LUCK

@echo off

echo reregistering IE files

regsvr32 /s /i browseui.dll

regsvr32 /s corpol.dll

regsvr32 /s dxtmsft.dll

regsvr32 /s dxtrans.dll

regsvr32 /s "%ProgramFiles(x86)%internet explorerhmmapi.dll"

regsvr32 /s ieaksie.dll

regsvr32 /s ieapfltr.dll

regsvr32 /s iedkcs32.dll

regsvr32 /s "%ProgramFiles(x86)%internet exploreriedvtool.dll"

regsvr32 /s iepeers.dll

regsvr32 /s "%ProgramFiles(x86)%internet explorerieproxy.dll"

regsvr32 /s /i /n inetcpl.cpl

regsvr32 /s jscript.dll

regsvr32 /s licmgr10.dll

regsvr32 /s msdbg2.dll

regsvr32 /s mshtmled.dll

regsvr32 /s msident.dll

regsvr32 /s mstime.dll

regsvr32 /s "%ProgramFiles(x86)%internet explorerpdm.dll"

regsvr32 /s tdc.ocx

regsvr32 /s /i urlmon.dll

regsvr32 /s vbscript.dll

regsvr32 /s "%CommonProgramFiles%microsoft sharedvgxvgx.dll"

regsvr32 /s /i /n wininet.dll

regsvr32 /s msxml.dll

regsvr32 /s oleaut32.dll

regsvr32 /s proctexe.ocx

regsvr32 /s /i scrobj.dll

regsvr32 /s /i shdocvw.dll

regsvr32 /s sendmail.dll

echo The next step will take some time.

PAUSE

regsvr32 /s /i:A initpki.dll

regsvr32 /s /i ieframe.dll

reg add "HKCRTypeLib{EAB22AC0-30C1-11CF-A7EB-0000C05BAE0B}1.1win32" /ve /t REG_SZ /d %systemroot%system32ieframe.dll /f

Echo Done with reregistering all components. Please reboot once you exit the Command Screen.

PAUSE

2. open cmd prompt go to c:windowssystem32

3. type the command attrib -r -s -h Antivirus.vbs

3. del antivirus.vbs

4. Open regedit go HKLMsoftwareMicrosoftWindowsNTcurrentVersionwinlogon

5. Look for "Userinit Entry

6. Edit the entry remove c:windowssystem32Antivirus.vbs

7. go HKLMsoftwareMicrosoftInternetExplorerMain right click and delete from the right panel "StartPage "

8. close regedit

111. Learn how to remove IE8 from your computer easily, here:

112. Microsoft SUCKS! says:

Internet Explorer is made to never be removed so Microsoft can access your system and install viruses when a new windows comes out forcing you to spend money.  All Microsoft programmers should have their fingers cut off.

When I took the US Army oath to protect against threats I took it seriously.  If I ever see Gates I will take him into custody for terrorism and hand him over to the authorizes.

113. Fslunk@aol.com says:

I  have to remove SP3 before I can uninstall Explorer 8, then reinstall SP3.

What the hell is SP3?

114. am running XP professional version 2002 on a lap top. I need to unstaLL ie 8, but having  no luck. Any suggestions?

115. Ronald says:

Are you facing problem with your internet explorer.does your system popups that you might be using a older version for complete solutions visit visit http://WWW.1akal.com or call @ +1 888 439 2525

116. David says:

I do not want to restore previous version. I just want to remove it.

117. *** YOU says:

wht it make sense ?? hv search for uninstall not to install updated asshols

118. joan macmeans says:

i am unable to do my banking "PNC"

119. Julio says:

Meu IE não está instalado porque não gosto desse Nav.,mesmo assim abre sozinho. Qdo desligo o PC ele fica aberto pedindo pra forçar o encerramento ja desativei em recursos do Win. mesmo assim não resolveu.