CD drive or DVD drive is missing in Windows XP or Vista

Fix it Fix it to remove CD/DVD driver customizations

Issues addressed by this Fix it solution.

This Fix it solution automates the steps in KB314060 to resolve an issue where the CD/DVD drive does not appear in My Computer as shown in the image below.

clip_image001

Next steps if the problem is not resolved after you run this Fix it solution

If your CD/DVD drive still does not appear in My Computer after running this Fix it solution, then follow these steps:

Windows Vista Users

A more comprehensive Fix it solution is available to address other common issues with CD/DVD devices. This solution currently runs only on Windows Vista. Future versions will support running on Windows XP and Windows 7.

To run this more comprehensive Fix it, visit the following Web site: http://support.microsoft.com/gp/cd_dvd_drive_problems

Windows XP Users

1) Restart your computer to complete the removal of LowerFilters and UpperFilters

2) Verify that the CD/DVD drive is detected by the BIOS when the computer starts

3) Verify that the CD/DVD drive has power. For example, does the tray open so that you can insert a CD or DVD disc in the drive?

4) Verify that the CD/DVD drive has a drive letter assigned in Disk Manager

image

a. Click Start, and then click Run. Or click Start Search.
b. Type “diskmgmt.msc” (without the quotes), and then press ENTER
c. Verify that the CD/DVD device is assigned a drive letter (for example, “D:”)
d. If the device does not have a drive letter, then right mouse click on the CD-ROM (highlighted in red above), and select Change Drive Letters and Paths
e. Click Add, click Assign the following drive letter, and then click a drive letter from the list
f: Click OK twice, and then close Disk Management

5) Uninstall & Reinstall the DVD/CD-ROM drive in Device Manager

a. Click Start, and then click Run. Or click Start Search.
b. Type “devmgmt.msc” (without the quotes), and then press ENTER
c. Double click to expand DVD/CD-ROM drives
d. Right-click on the name of your DVD/CD-ROM and click Uninstall
e. Select OK to the Confirm Device Removal (Windows XP) or Confirm Device Uninstall (Windows Vista) dialog
f. Right mouse click your computer name and select Scan for hardware changes
g. Close Device Manager

6) Check if the CD/DVD drive appears in My Computer

7) Uninstall & Reinstall any DVD/CD burning software

iTune software by Apple
Nero software by Nero Inc
Roxio Creator software by Sonic Solutions
Zune software by Microsoft

If you are able to see your CD/DVD drive in My Computer as depicted in the image below then running the Microsoft Fix it solution will not resolve your issue.

clip_image001[4]

If your CD/DVD drive does appear in My Computer the next steps may assist in determining if it is a hardware or software issue.

1) Put a bootable CD (e.g. Windows setup disk, OEM recovery disk) in the CD/DVD drive, reboot and verify the computer is able to boot from the bootable CD

2) Check for a newer CD/DVD driver

a. Click Start, and then click Run. Or click Start Search.
b. Type “devmgmt.msc” (without the quotes), and then press ENTER
c. Double click to expand DVD/CD-ROM drives
d. Right-click on the name of your DVD/CD-ROM and click Update Driver Software
e. Click Browse my computer for driver software
f. Type C:\ (or the drive letter of the disk that Windows is installed on) under Search for driver software in this location, check the box for Include subfolders, and click Next

3) Verify the disk spins and the light illuminates when you put a disk in the CD/DVD drive and close the tray
4) Does the CD/DVD drive only read a CD or DVD?

a. A CD/DVD drive has two lasers. One that reads CDs and the other that reads DVDs.

Technical details about this Microsoft Fix it solution
Name: Microsoft Fix it 50027
Old Name: Delete lower & upper filters for CD devices
Version 1.0.1Automates steps in KB314060.
Additional Information: Localized in 23 languages

• Blocks on Windows 7
  • Checks if either LowerFilters or UpperFilters registry value exists
  • Deletes LowerFilters or UpperFilters registry value
  • Prompts for reboot

Hello kmilota,

BIOS updates are either available from the computer manufacturer (e.g. Dell, HP, Lenovo, etc) or from the motherboard manufacturer (ASUS, Intel, etc) if you have a custom built machine.

-brian

for about 30 days my windows XP will not write a DVD.  When a blank is inserted in the drive "my computer" changes from DVD to CD and will not identify the blank DVD.

I have seen many similar posts. THere are no fixes yet.

I have tried 3 different disk manufactures, tried fixit, deleted my roxio, changed out the dvd writer.

what a disaster

ANY FIX?

I am having the same issue, but I have had the problem before and it went away on its own. Now it isn’t going away, and it won’t even list the CD/DVD Drive in the Device Manager. Please advise.

Folks, my name is paul schottland, and we have been working on this since 3/21.  We are posting back our findings today, and apologize for not updating the blog entry.  my email is paulscho@microsoft.com, please feel free to email me if we do not come back onto this blog with your answer before March 27th.  Again, I do apologize for the delayed update on this one.

Hello JW,

The Microsoft Fix it only addresses an issue where the CD/DVD Rom does not show up in My Computer due to LowerFilters or UpperFilters entries that cause conflicts with the CD/DVD Rom.

-brian

Yes, if it says "Does not apply to your system" that means this isn’t your problem because the filter drivers aren’t there.

John

Hello Lugi,

Do you have anything listed in LowerFilters or UpperFilters under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESYSTEMCurrentControlSetControlClass{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}?

I am wondering if any items are getting added to LowerFilters or UpperFilters when the machine reboots which causes the CD/DVD Rom to disappear.

-brian

I just talked with a customer who was unable to see the CD/DVD Rom in My Computer. It turned out that he had a bad IDE slot on the motherboard. I mention this because it is important that the BIOS can recognize the CD/DVD Rom. If the CD/DVD Rom is not recognized in the BIOS it will not be available in Windows.

I have updated the main blog post with additional steps to try if the Microsoft Fix it does restore the DVD/CD-ROM in My Computer.

Information added to the main blog post.

Next steps if this Microsoft Fix it doesn’t solve the problem

* Restart your computer to complete the removal of LowerFilters and UpperFilters

* Uninstall & Reinstall DVD/CD-ROM drives

1) Select Start > Run

a) On Windows Vista select Start > Start Search

2) Type “devmgmt.msc” (without the quotes) and press Enter on the keyboard

3) Expand out DVD/CD-ROM drives if it is not already

4) Right mouse click on the name of your DVD/CD-ROM and select Uninstall

5) Select OK to the Confirm Device Removal (Windows XP) or Confirm Device Uninstall (Windows Vista) dialog

6) Right mouse click your computer name and select Scan for hardware changes

7) Check if the DVD/CD-ROM appears in My Computer

* Uninstall & Reinstall any DVD/CD burning software (e.g.

** iTune software by Apple

** Nero software by Nero Inc

** Roxio Creator software by Sonic Solutions

** Zune software by Microsoft

Thanks,

-brian

10. hassan sayed issa20014 says:

thanks

In addition to the comment posted on March 26th if the BIOS is able to detect the CD/DVD ROM but Windows still does not detect it please verify you have the latest BIOS version for your computer.

You will have to check with the computer manufacturer to determine if there is a newer BIOS version available.

If this has not been suggested, check the bios and applicable drivers on the manufacturers and update if out of date.

13. joe zink says:

well, it says you’ve just released another kb article, but then it goes on to tell you nothing about that kb articles name or number. shucks.

14. greenhart says:

Says "Does not apply to your system"

Does this mean the filters are not there?

I have two drives – a SATA DVD (works fine) and a PATA CDROM (sometimes recognised, but usually not. I can’t even open the drive with its front paanel button…)

15. satish says:

kindly give some suggestion

satish

16. garth says:

i have the same issue…no DVD showing up. it literally showed up fine this morning, then disappeared an hour later, after working fine for weeks.

any suggestions?

17. Denise says:

I also am having the same issue and have HP Pavilion Laptop.   Tried the auto "Fix it"  with the result that it does not apply.   Then what do I do to fix it now???

18. Alarussa says:

Windows Media works fine.  TSSTcorp DVD+-RW TS-L532B drive, however, will not show files on burnt CD’s for music.  It will show DVD (audio_ts & video_ts) files when opening Windows Explorer.  It will NOT show cda, mp3, or any other type of audio format.  I have already reverted Laptop E1505 back to factory build using F11 process as advised online.  All previous programs were removed in favor of how Laptop was originally shipped to me.  This reversion has NOT corrected the issue.

I also just processed the [Article ID: 337843] instruction for "upper and lower" buffers to be removed action.  No change in how music files might be accessed.  This being the case it is impossible to burn music cd’s, let alone simply play music thru this Drive.

Please email me with potential update(s).

Alarussa@msn.com

19. Karmakarl says:

Same problem, but no solutions seem apparent. Iv’e altered the BIOS settings with no change..The CD and DVD both disapeared after trying to instal a printer.

PC is a Dell Dimension

20. Karmakarl says:

PC is a Dell Dimension

21. JEn says:

Does any one, moderate this forum?!

This is really annoying.

22. mike says:

My HP Pavillion DV2000 laptop looses the DVD every so often.  It will not show up in My Computer, etc.  I have used the delete upper/lower registry hack with great success in the past, but this time, the upper and lower filter values are not there to delete.  Thus, the FixIt thing does not work.  What do I do?

23. Quah Wee Keong says:

Same here with Windows XP Pro 62bit with service pack 2.

24. christian says:

Like everyone here, it stopped showing up like a month ago, but today it showed up and it read a cd and everything, but then it disappeared.  the lowerfilter thing is missing and I’ve tried some other things too but no luck.  please help

25. serge gracovetsky says:

Same problem as everyone else. My DVD does not exist. The upper and lower filters do not exist in my registry. Then what? the drive is still not there ! Can anyone from Microsoft jump in and help. This is very frustrating.

26. Rosa Santiago says:

How can I fix it?

Please help me!

27. BJ says:

Crap, mine is MIA also.  This is insane.

28. Satyan Namdhari says:

I am having same problem on my Dell Studio540 with Vista Home Premium 64-bit Optiarc DVD+-RW AD-7200S. Even your updates on March 26 did not improve. Waiting to install MS Office for more than 10 days now. Can’t read DVD or CD. Please help.

29. Pankaj says:

m just installing drivers and the forgot to remove dvd and now i m unable to eject it m using dell studio 1535 laptop.

plz help meeeeeee!!!!!!!!

30. Heather says:

I have been having the same problem for a month now.  Have tried removing the filters, have tried suggestions from dell…NOTHING WORKS.  I need to be able to use my CD Rom – I’ve got to do my taxes – can someone please tell me what I need to do???  Windows XP

31. joe says:

great application…fixed my dvd and burner problems

32. Dale says:

I am haveing the same trouble. I have tried everthing this post suggest. Still dose not fix it.

33. valerie proctor says:

i would for my promble to be fix

34. Leonid Bondarenko says:

Utility is just fine.

Optiarc DVD-RW 7530A somehow disappeared from my notebook, though it could be seen in BIOS (Vista HPE, SP1). Could not access the drive in any way – Explorer, msinfo32, FAR, etc.

This utility revitalised my drive. Now all works fine.

35. Arla Fontaine says:

Since a CD is not listed in my

hardware, I don’t see how I could

reinstall it, not to mention it

came with my HP P.O.C.(piece of

crap!)with no discs whatsoever.

What can I do next?

36. Tyson says:

this has been happening to for three weeks. I have tried almost everything.

removing of LowerFilters and UpperFilters,I have altered the BIOS settings with no change

37. jan says:

tried the post from mar 26

mine started the 4 april, i even reinstalled xp and it worked fine until after all the win updates. it shows a drive but when i put a dvd or cd in it just read and freeze. keeps blinking and i cant take the disk out. it works fine in bios boot. i even tried a new drive and cabels recofigure bios and all other i could think of.. i really need my drive to work

38. sam says:

same problem here… dvd-drive is not listed in device mgr. tried everything…

39. jan says:

wonder if any from microsoft will answer or they dont care about us… im sure it is a update error since it was efter updating win and were probaly not the only ppl having this problem

40. ktv says:

I bought a new dvd drive because I thought the old one was broken. I run the fix here because my computer (XP) still did not recognize the drive and now I can play my drive but not burn anything.

41. muruga says:

same problem

on Toshiba with XP home suddenly DVD/CD stopped, I did a check with boot disc and it was recognized. tried uninstal reinstal, find new driver, fix upper & lower filters – result zip, zip, Thing it was working just fine and I have all the apps that you mention Nero, I tunes etc CD works for 3 months now it stopped.

HELP!!

42. dave says:

Perchance did any of you uninstall windows live one care?

43. Krimzoneye says:

This is ABSOLUTE BEE-S…  Everyone here has the same problem but no one has a solution!  I am so PISSED!  Microsoft is going to make me go over to MAC!  The SP2 update screwed EVERYONE.  That ‘FIX IT’ crap does NOT work if the "Upper and Lower" crap is not on your computer.  Deleting them manually doesn’t work either!  Uninstalling your dvd/cd drives doesn’t work!  Where is MICRO-SOFT??!!??  Both my work and home computer have dvd and cd drives that are useless!!!!  And you can’t chat with Microsoft without paying money for it.  Microsoft sucks!!!!

44. Jeffko says:

I had the same problem with both my CDR and DVD drives disappearing a few weeks ago and the "fix it" tool worked to make them visible again.  This week I had a similar problem.  The drives were still visible but would never ecognize data on the CD or DVD.  Windows would always think that any CD inserted was a blank one and you could not explore the CD.  I used a uninstaller tool for Roxio CD Creator 5 ad then things work fine.

I think there is a problem between Windows XP, Roxio Easy CD Creator, and /or AVG free 8.5 Antivirus.

If you have Roxio installed you may want to try to uninstall it to see if that fixes your prolems.  It fixed mine.

45. Tom Moxam says:

yet, Another One.

CD/DVD has been working entermittently.

Did the UPPER/LOWER, worked fine for a day.

Now bust  :<

46. JRH says:

Put me in the que. The "Fix-It" tool worked once. Now, since the upper and lower values have been removed , it say the tool doesn’t apply any more. Uninstalled Roxio – nada! I’m waitin MS.

47. RV says:

This didn’t fix my problem, but may help others with the "disappearing optical drive" error:

Open a command prompt:

Start/Run/cmd

type:

set devmgr_show_nonpresent_devices=1

start devmgmt.msc

(Device Manager starts).

Click: View/Show Hidden Devices.

Click the + sign to view any "greyed out" devices.

Right-click Uninstall.

Reboot.

Note: several devices under

Sound, Video & Game Controllers

will continue to re-appear after re-boot, so they can usually be ignored.

48. Veronica says:

Did all this!! then propted me to reboot the computer did so, them when it came back on they were gone again. Please help me

49. akaalgorithm says:

aftr hrs of srching 4 dnlds I fint this site and see this is an issue for MS.

I too formated, reloaded and all was sweet then updated and a day or two later _ here I am_ pounding the desk!

Our whole facility uses dell pc.s and I keep telling them "they will fix it" but here we are a month later.

I tried all suggestions and bust.

how can a business run w/out cd-rom?

I gonna start using rocks and chissels!

50. jan says:

hey Microsoft we are waiting at least you could write on the wall and tell us if your working on the problem or just shitting on us

51. nomad27 says:

Same problem here after trying to install Easy Media Creator Basic Edition Ver 7

I had to abort the install thru Task Manager because the program hung and the drive was just sitting there repeating the same sound pattern trying to read the CD…

I see the drive letter (E:) but the drive won’t spin up and when I do a properties on a known good CD (music or data) the drive doesn’t spin up and the CD shows up as full space available.

I’ll NEVER use another piece POS Roxio software again!!

52. nomad27 says:

I also tried all of the above and nothing worked.

I may try to recover the operating system from the recovery partition of the HDD…  I think the registry got hammered by the Roxio software…  Anyone tried this yet?

53. forrest4trees says:

Like all the others, I have a cdrom/dvd drive in my laptop that will not work.  had the same problem resolved a few weeks ago by the fix it software (after i had bought a replacement external drive 95$ – thanks MS)  but suddenly this problem is back after another update.   please help us to resolve this MS.

54. Katie says:

My CD drive is recognized for about the first 3 minutes when I start my computer, after reinstalling the hardware, but then it disappears.  I can upload/access any type of data CD but not a DVD or audio CD or burn any type of media.

I’ve tried downloading "drivers" for this but all seem to point to my hardware working properly.  However, I can’t even access it from "My Computer" at points, it seems as though my computer doesn’t recognize it.

Any ideas?

55. walter says:

I can use the DVD but not the CD.  Is this a problem only on dual disk systems?

56. Chard says:

My DVD drive is no longer recognized. I ran the MS Fix It to remove the upper and lower filters and the drive is still not accessible.

I tried using the manual method as well but there is no CD/DVD Devices shown in the Device Manager.

57. kalip says:

After installing Windows Updates including SP1 ,my Laptop was not always recognising the DVD drive.

I ran the MS Fix and it seems to be working fine now.

58. Michael says:

Did a complete rebuild, installed all of the updates and after doing the last update – think it was SP3, I now have no dvd/cd drive. Fix does not work. Have no drives in device manager

59. Tyson says:

I have had my dvd disappearing for over a month on my laptop. I tried just about everything. Found out that if I keep the laptop on a notebook cooler that it will not disappear.

60. Koen says:

similar problem over here

yesterday everything was working fine and today there are

no cd/dvd devices shown in explorer, device manager or BIOS the device just disappeared, the upper and lower filters also doesn’t exist in my register so the fix doesn’t work

I don’t know what to do to solve this problem.

61. Peter Young says:

No CD/DVD drives found in Explorer.

Uninstalled & reinstalled CD/DVD drivers marked (!) Several times.  Didn’t work.   Found Microsoft Fix it. Downloaded and ran "DeleteLowerAndUpperFiltersForCDDevices.msi

Rebooted and my E: & F: drives have re-appeared after several weeks missing.

Thanks, Microsoft.

Regards, Peter Young

62. srinu says:

hi,

my dvd drive not detecting any cd or dvd.

thanks

srinu

63. Steve Alsop says:

I use Vista 64 and after installing the usually loads of Window updates today, 5 Apr 09, my DVD RW does not recognise any disk (blank, audio or data disk).  The drive appears in my computer and my other DVD reader works OK. I have tried the fix, which does not work for V64, uninstalled, re-installed, etc.. ie everything I can try, yet it still will not recognise any disk.  There are no upper/lower limit keys with V64 and so if anyone has any other suggestions extra to what has been already written, please let me know as I now cannot backup my critical data.

64. Lena Moe says:

My CDROM isnt visible in device manager, so there isnt anything to remove/uninstall. Its visible in BIOS, and Driver Detective is seing it. But WinXP has no idea its present. I use home edit/SP3. Its a newbuilt PC (well – something new and something old, the CD and DVD are old 5-10Yrs and the DVD is working perfectly) on ASUS P5Q Deluxe, so I know the problem isnt HW. Now I am starting to get Really pissed…!

65. Apaulled person says:

After having being on call out to fix this issue on a XP system I now have it on my system which is a 64 bit vista ultima.

So xp fixes: uninstall the hardware throught the device manager in the  control pannel. (even pull the decives power cables)

Manuall  delete the upper and lower filters  in the systems registry (by typing it in find)

Re boot the system with out the drive still connnected.

turn it off again and then turn it back on (esp for older os users)

shut down attach the power cables tot eh  opticals.

power  back up the computer

most systems should auto detect the new hardware on boot up in windows.

(if not go to deveice manager and scan for changes and it will bring it up)

still not working??  What about the firmware for you drive and motherboard? (bios updates) as well as the drivers (none for opticals)

after I did this then I found the  software thing by MS. rebooted and everything worked.. on Xp customer system!

This is MS being over stupid with the piracy and crock of stupid development processes without consideration and testing correctly and then scape goat this on to other people that have to pay for there mistakes.

What I want to know is that  lots of people have gone to exspence from the negligence of mirosoft and not much seems to be done..

66. CS says:

I also have the problem with XP Pro SP3 and all patches/updates from MS.

Uninstalled itunes, magic disk iso burner… removed filters… rebooted, ran tool…. nothing works. 18 years in IT.

67. Steven says:

wow, all these problems and yet no microsoft rep has joined the channel to come with a  solution to this ongoing problem. what are you guys doing, working on windows 8????

68. Aarthiraj.R says:

Well! I had the same problem in my Windows XP professional edition. When i tried to install the CD Drive the jumper of the CD Drive was in the master mode and the other DVD-ROM which i had was in the Slave jumper setting. The problem is that i used a single cable to connect it to the mother board. So that is the primary IDE cable slot. So the System recognizes the DVD- ROM which is the client and does not recognize the DVD-RW. So i thought it is a software problem with nero. I tried many techniques and atlast i removed the DVD-DRIVES from the bay and installed the jumpers in the cable select made. After that in the BIOS settings time the boot time should be increased initially to 5 seconds. After that just reboot the system. The system will recognize both the drives. It will typically take a long time to boot so just dont worry. Because the firm ware takes a lot of time to intialize the drivers. Once after that i think the solution will be solved.

To summarize if the CD Drives go missing everybody thinks it is a software problem but ensure

1. Put all the jumpers of the CD drive in cable select.

2. Connect the IDE cable and Power cables properly.

3. If the problem is not solved then get the MicrosoftFix it tool or maunally edit the registry to fic the issue

Hope this helps

69. Chathura says:

I have HP NC6400 laptop with Win XP Prof SP-3 installed. I have Nero 8.0 installed. Recently i’ve noticed that my DVD ROM drive is missing. When i serached Device Mgr it’s also not showing it.  Also Upper / Lover filter deletion is not possible since i dont have those in my Registry.

Can someone please help me on how to rectify this.

70. dave dash says:

this is crazy there must be thousands of us with this problem where the hell is microsoft.

tried the "fix" worked for one day. thought about buying an external dvd drive but how do i know that wont get fried?

71. MikeP says:

CD/DVD drive is missing.  It is not listed in the device manager.  I have no idea how to fix it.

72. dave says:

Well,  I am also one of the many that windows cannot find my dvd drive.   HELP!!!!!!!!!!!   I’ve tried all the forums and nothing works.

73. Darren Wiseman says:

I’m soooooo hacked off with my laptop! Just got it bout a month ago and it was after I had restarted it that my god damn D:drive had dissapeared! Most fustrated and I have tried everything! I feel like snapping my laptop over my knee but I know its not the laptops fault but that terrible VISTA! Stay away from it!!!!! But please someone help! Not just me but all these poor people with useless computers!!!!

74. Nikkeya says:

This is complete BS. I can’t install programs or anything. I had to reinstall windows a week ago and now I’m screwed cause there is no DVD rom listed. Tried the fix-it and removed upper and lower worked for a couple hours but on reboot it disappeared again. Not the fix it patch does not work. Tried the device manager fix but low no DVD drive listed. I’m so pissed because it looks like this problem has been going on for so long and Microsoft is not doing anything about it. Now I see why people are switching to Mac. Maybe I’m one of the next ones.

75. kilas says:

I have the same problem. The "fix it" just fix for an hour, then my dvd/cd rom gone forever..huhuhu

I’m really tired..Look like there is no solution for this problem.

76. moji says:

I had the same problem. But my Toshiba tech fixed and now I have the CD/DVD icon in Vista with Toshiba logo.

However, after I installed HP Photosmart C7280, the HP software over wapped the Toshiba CD icon, now it shows as HP CD Drive short cut.

Do you have any idea why it happen?

77. forrest4trees says:

DO NOT go out and buy an external drive to solve this problem!   The stupid update that has caused this problem will get rid of it too.   So then you think that both drives are down.   Luckily the tech support at LG is much more responsive than MS (they directed me to the FixIT that worked a month or so ago).   but now its all for naught because some new update has done it again and there is no fix.

78. ann says:

im using windows 7, having the code 39 problem..do help..i need to use my dvd rom for god sake..

79. Mallika says:

Fine. Got my problem fixed. Thanks.

80. kmilota says:

How do you upgrade your BIOS?  I have

Phoenix 1.7 but they appear to have gone out of business

81. Lugi says:

Updated my BIOS–it doesn’t help.  Have uninstalled the CD-rom (you have to be quick before it disappears)–doesn’t help.  I don’t have any of the software you mentioned, but I uninstalled a few other things just in case (Sonic MyDVD Plus, HP RecordNow, ISO Recorder).  Doesn’t help.  Tried uninstalling the IDE controller–doesn’t help.  Bothe the CD-rom and the IDE controller do get autodetected on reboot, but the CD-rom goes away soon thereafter anyway.  When the drive is (briefly) there, checking for updated drivers says the drivers are up to date.

HP laptop, Windows XP, SP3, and it’s the built-in CD-Rom/DVD-reader that has disappeared from both Explorer and the Device Manager.  Sometimes it’s there on reboot, but goes away soon thereafter.

What now?

In case it helps, lately I occasionally see an error message on reboot from lsbwatcher, mentioning something about .net, and it cheerfully asks if I want to know how to fix this problem in my C++ programs (!).

82. C K says:

No CD-Rom/DVD found in Explorer or the Device Manager since this started 2 weeks ago. Uninstalled all cd-rom/dvd software.

Very little left that I could think of trying. Finally i tried a registry editor which I ran at least 14 times. Rebooted after each run of the registry cleaner until less than 5 errors appeared. My first run of the registry cleaner can up with over 1800 errors. After the 15th reboot my CD-rom/DVD was back. I installed ashampoo burning studio and tested a number of burns. Evrything is working again. Regcure is the registery software I used,

Vista Ultimate 32bit SP1

83. jw says:

I have three DVD/CD drives (two on one machine and one on another) and all of them have some of the same problems as above and I have tried all the fixes, Sometimes the disc will burn in 2 of them and sometimes will not read was has been burnt in two of them but, i can put it into another drive and read it but, can’t burn on that drive.

84. meli says:

just another one of thousands of people with the same problem and cant find any answers to my nightmare dvd/cd writers aint working at all they dont even appear in device manager what am i to do?

85. Lugi says:

Sorry, forgot to mention that the Upper/Lower fixit was the very first thing I tried.  It "does not apply on my system".  I just checked again in regedit just to be sure and there are no upper/lower limits listed.

In case it helps, here are some system-log entries from when the CD-rom disappeared (there are some McAfee-related info messages before/after and between):

7:17:05 The device, DeviceIdeIdePort1, is not ready for access yet.

7:17:05 The driver detected a controller error on DeviceCdRom0.

7:18:28 The device, DeviceIdeIdePort1, is not ready for access yet.

7:18:28 The driver detected a controller error on DeviceCdRom0.

[…]

7:19:00 The McAfee Inc. mferkdk service was successfully sent a start control.

7:19:48 The device, DeviceIdeIdePort1, is not ready for access yet.

7:19:48 The driver detected a controller error on DeviceCdRom0.

7:20:42 The device ‘HL-DT-ST RW/DVD GCC-4244N’ (IDECdRomHL-DT-ST_RW/DVD_GCC-4244N_______________1.02____5&c4553b&0&0.0.0) disappeared from the system without first being prepared for removal.

I know this may look like a hardware problem, but the drive works fine if I access it in the brief period before it goes away.  And since so many people seem to have this problem, it seems unlikely they all have hardware problems.

86. Kio says:

People please bare with me on the following….

Had a simuliar Problem a few weeks ago with wireless device drivers, would uninstall the drivers, but XP Pro Would Automatical reinstall the drivers after restart.

this was really anoying.

i tried all sorts of methods to try and stop the system from reinstalling the drivers, but nothing work.

i gave up for a few days and tried again.

this time i tried a program called ( Perfect Unstaller )

this worked a treat.i discovered that there were reg Keys Been left Behind, and also the driver was not been fully uninstall. It was almost like the driver was still lodged in memory, or the stuck in the driver cache but this software does not deal with CD/DVD drivers. my point being is that u need to some how clear the System of all files at the same time to get rig of all the files got to do with the CD drive.

And then reinstall everything.

since i’ve done this method, i’ve done it on other pc with great sucess. but now like everyone else one here, i’m stuck on this topic

so my question, is there any software out there that can completely uninstall CD/DVD Drivers, Reg Keys And Filters. there must be one based on the same idea.

If not, there has to be a way to stop the system from installing the drivers again.

or findind out where the driver is being stored on the system.

One thing to note is that uninstalling CD/Dvd Burning software Does Leave Behind Files And Reg Keys,& prob filters as well. Useing Programs like Perfect Uninstaller, Will Get Rid Of The Bits That are left. coz I’ve found in the passed that these can still get in the way when things go wrong.

and also some thing i’ve learned along the way. when this kinda thing happens. and people go to update there system Bois, because of blogs like this suggest the idea doesn’t always work,

Because the CD Burning Software May still get in the way of the system registering the System components.one way is to uninstall any type of this software before u start updating the system.

if there’s anyone out there who can add to this point of view. or add to my ideas please leave a comment.

who knows’ someone out there mite just have the answer…?????

Thanks

87. martin says:

Pretty much the same problem. I wrote some CDs and DVDs a couple of weeks ago, then installed SP3 on XP and:

1. CD/DVD Rom reads and doesn’t write.

2. DVD R/W is recognized but won’t Read or Write.

I’ve:

1. Verified the Hi/Lo filters are out of the registry

2. Upgraded the firmware

3. Made sure the IMAPPING CD Burning service is on.

4. Uninstalled and re-installed the various programs which us use the CD or DVD.

5. Deinstalled drivers.

I need to make some disks of horses we’re selling. I’ve been using Microsoft since before PC DOS and maybe the time time has come to look at a MAC – at least 4 people close to me have done so. Beside taking up hours it is now potentially costing me sales.

Martin

88. Enigma says:

Same problem with Brand new dvd/cd rom player.  Installed it several weeks ago and all was fine.  But went to try and burn a cd today and lo and behold….no device is found.  Tried the fix here and some of the suggestions to no avail.  I agree that this is a MAJOR Microsoft screwup and it is completely ridiculous at the negligence and disregard that they have shown to those of us affected by it.  Wake up Microsoft…you are NOT the ONLY game on the market.

89. Andy Fralix says:

My DVD and CD are on secondary IDE channel. They both show up in BIOS, but the DVD only shows up every other bootup of XP Pro (SP 3). After seeing all the other comments about not having it at all, I am not willing to risk trying to do anything for fear I might loose it entirely. I had this problem on another computer running XP Home, but it was not as dependable as every other bootup. Both of these units were tower units that were either nome assembled or upgraded and have 2 hard drives and 2 optical drives. I also have a laptop that is running XP Pro SP 3 with only 1 hard drive and 1 optical drive that has never had this problem.

Maybe the additional info will help someone pinpoint something.

90. Jason Melgard says:

it will read DVDs sometimes and CDs never. all happened after installing 2 years worth of windows updates and roxio software in one day. how do i get my drive back? i cant even get it to boot off of windows XP install cd!!

91. A Man Eating Duck says:

Thanks RV, your steps fixed my problem.

92. FM says:

I haven’t had a drive on my laptop in months. At first the regedit fix would do the job, temporarily, then I would have to go back to system restores, and then neither worked. The drive does not appear in device manager, can anybody please tell me how to get this back?

93. stephanie says:

im having the same problem as all my computer use to detect the dvd/cd drive and it stopped detecting it and it dosent open or nothing im soo mad! i tried everything..can someone please help me

94. AJK says:

SUCCESS!

Been banging my head over this one (error 39)

After deinstalling Norton 360 my CD/DVDW had completely disappeared?!?

Tried re-install, uninstalling etc etc., but found the answer above, just needs a little patience.

1) shutdown pc and disconnected power cable to CD/DVD drive and booted up PC.

2) ran CMD and at the dos prompt typed:

> set devmgr_show_nonpresent_devices=1

> start devmgmt.msc

(Device Manager starts).

Click: View/Show Hidden Devices.

Click the + sign to view any "greyed out" devices.

Right-click Uninstall.

REBOOT.

IMPORTANT, DONT CONNECT POWER CABLE YET, let it start up properley without HW-drive or SW driver, then

SHUTDOWN, disconnect the main Power cable.

Reconnect power cable to CD/DVD drive and then the Main Power Cable & Power-On PC which will re-install the known best driver. It loaded the correct one for me!

Go into the Device_Manager and you can see your driver has re-installed, but will need a reboot to work properly. See my PROPERTIES

==============================================

This device is working properly.

You need to restart your computer before the changes you made to this device will take affect.

==============================================

REBOOT again and you should be back to normal.

Regards Andy_Kinghorn@msn.com

95. Tom Hansen says:

I was ready to wipe out my hard drive and reload the OS.  Then I found this, and it worked well.

Thank you very much!

Tom

96. Anna - Sofia says:

SHUTDOWN, disconnect the main Power cable.

Only this worked for me after 4 hours trying everything… I didn’t even had to reinstall my dvd rom.

97. Evelyn Martiens says:

Thanks my dear for fixing my problem.

Now after the FIX It open the disc. Still Nero 7 is not letting me burn DVD’s.

It was working perfect and now it does not.

Can you help please!!

Thanks Regards Evelyn

98. Jim Sheehan says:

My computer does not recognize the

TSST Corp DVD+-RW TS-L632 ATA Device.

It indicates that the device cannot start. I have read some of the comments above but am not sure what you are talking about with upper and lower filters. Can someone give me a simple explaination and a simple solution so that I can continue using my laptop.

Thanks

Jim Sheehan

sheehan.jim@hotmail.com

99. Gam Gaddi says:

I’m writing to be part of the statistics, and hopefully MS or somebody else would see this problem as a serious malady.

I bought my HP Pavilion laptop late last year. Everything worked fine until I installed a CD emulator. Then my DVD drive suddenly disappeared. The MS fix did not work ’cause there were no upper or lower filters to begin with in the registers. I can’t delete and reinstall the DVD driver ’cause there’s no DVD drive in my system. It’s not listed in Device Manager or BIOS. If you insert a disk on the drive, it will read it for a moment, but that’s it. I’ve recently re-installed Vista. Didn’t work. I am planning to dis-assemble my laptop to manually disconnect the wires connecting the DVD drive to the system but do not have the technical savvy to do so (it might complicate the problem more).

Can anybody help!!!!!!!!!!!?????????

100. judy mattox says:

ok, i’m another person with the same problems…..has been "dead" for about 10 days now while i have tried every trick in the book and more with no results……i’m not a computer geek, just a little old grandma, but i am going to send an email to paulscho@microsoft.com as per his instructions on March 25 here……i’m also going to TRY the fix from Tuesday, April 28, 2009 8:50 PM by AJK and hope that will work and don’t kill my computer in the mean time!!!….will write my results here when i complete it….judy

101. judy mattox says:

well, i tried the suggestion and it DID NOT work for me!!!!!!!!!!…..

102. Ant says:

Have installed Apple Itunes on an Acer PC running Vista. As a result of this the CD/DVD drives are nolonger recognised. Have tried the solution offered by Microsoft and it does not fix the problem

103. TERRRY says:

I do not know where to find the URL

104. TERRRY says:

I do not know where to find the URL

105. stephen williams says:

Tried to fix the HKEY myself. It only showed the lower filter. I deleted that. Got a blue screen on reboot. Did a system restore. This fix worked perfect for me . Thank You!!

106. greg gr says:

with fix tool the problem has resolved thanks

107. bernie K says:

NBeen living with this issue for months Microsoft or Hp or Sonic needs to take reponsibility  or a lot of us will never need to buy DVD s again

108. W (dubbya) says:

Frakking Microsoft!!!

Last August ((2008) because microsoft may not have fixed or addressed the problem when 2010 gets here), had same problem as other people on this blog.

Prayed to God alot (make your own jokes) to fix it.  In October ’08, I purchased an RCA Opal MP3 and connected it to USB port.  Opal installed its software and fixed CD/DVD drive can’t read disk problem.

In March ’09, I installed Norton security suite and Tuneup 2009 programs to prep for the Conficker virus.  Afterwards, My CD/DVD drive is giving me the same problem… It will not read a CD,DVD, CDRW, or DVRW.

Opal doesn’t help any more and RCA indicates that there is a manufacturing problem for which they want me to return it.

Microsoft, as a suggestion, please make available to the users of your ops software…Windows XP, Vista, etc., the necessary drivers or issuse an update to check whether or not CD/dvd drive is functional.

109. W (dubbya) says:

Oh, by the way, I tried the Microsoft fix-it and it was no help.  It said "This Microsoft fix it failed to process."

For years, I preferred PCs and thought MACs were to complicated to learn. But, I have been having serious thoughts about switching to an Apple MAC lately.

Hey, Mr. Gates, if Microsoft is going to advertise itself as being the champion for PCs, then the Windows operating systems needs to be on par with the Apple OS and computer line.

Otherwise, Microsoft will not only lose consumers as customers but HP, Dell, Acer, and the millions of corporate, small business, and governments will get tired of the crappy products and service.

110. Naveen Kansil says:

plz help me to solve my problem on vista.

1. CD/DVD Rom reads and doesn’t write.

2. DVD R/W is recognized but won’t Read or Write.

I’ve:

1. Verified the Hi/Lo filters are out of the registry

2. Uninstalled and re-installed the various programs which us use the CD or DVD.

3. used microsoft fix it does not work.

111. Wildblood says:

So let’s get this straight….I have a problem with Microsoft Windows, I can’t seem to fix it, so I search the web to see if anyone else has the same problem. What I find is that many, many , many people have the same problem and all seem to be pulling their hair out trying to find a solution. None of the suggested fixes seem to work…Regedit of Lower Filers, Upper Filters, changes to BIOS, uninstalling and re-installing software, firmware, vodoo spells and general praying etc. etc…..

Presumably this issue can be fixed?!

Surely someone at Microsoft can recognise that this is not a one-off case and therefore can spell out the solution and stick it on the website where everyone can find it? I am getting really bored of reading blogs and serach trying to find the solution.

Why are PCs som complicated anyway?

Regards

One very annoyed Customer thinking about switching to MACs

112. Bobby says:

I’ve done everything that’s been recommended and still have the inability to use the CD and DVD drives in my daughter’s Dell Inspiron 1526. Apparently there are no viable solutions available for this problem. Most solutions are hit or miss.

A lot of people depend on the Masterminds at Microsoft to resolve such issues quickly and promptly but based upon what I’ve seen in continues to be of little concern. If it not one problem with Microsoft products there always is another. Designed for failure.

113. Jim says:

Until my warranty ran out, I would call Toshiba for this problem.  They would walk me through a fix that would work for a while and then stop working; then they showed me some other temporary fix, then a few more.  I’m pretty sure I’ve tried them all. Now there aren’t any more fixes and my fancy-dancey multi-recorder drive is useless.

Nice work, Microsoft. How about you just ship me a nice, free beta version of Windows 7.0?

114. OScar says:

THank you VERY VERY VERY MUCH!!!! your organisation is the best in the world!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

115. Chris Ivory says:

Useless DVD drive here. Will not play or even recognise a DVD in drive. This needs an urgent solution. This also happens on our laptops.

We run a family business, and rely on DVD ROMs.

MS – you are costing us money – big time.

116. ash says:

I have the exact same problem as treebee on 2 different laptops… its been about 2 months and unable to find a solution!!

Any help would be appreciated, the regedit ‘solution’ doesn’t correct the problem.

117. bob says:

i tried reformatting the laptop which experienced this, and after its done, the dvd drive still not appearing on ‘My Computer’

WHERE IS MICROSOFT?!

118. syahbar says:

i’ve been missing my DVD drive, but CD drive it’s ok. i’ll try everything to get my DVD drives back, but can’t get it, so please tell me if theres another way to fix it.

119. Jo Agee says:

It flippin’ works! This guy is a genius. Go to

This issue has been driving me bananas for weeks and this solved the problem in less than 5 minutes. I am amazed!

You have to create a file in notepad, copy and paste the entry, save it according to his instructions. Close and click on file, follow brief instructions. Restart and, viola, the CD and DVD drive is back!

120. Jeff L says:

One more. My DVD/CD player/writer (Dell M1710 laptop) was working fine, I was making some cds for a long trip, then it just stopped being able to read or write any CD. Commercial, blank, etc. Uninstalled iTunes, Nero, Roxio, everything that reads or writes to the CD (except Window Media Player.) Deleted the upper and lower registry entries per the instructions, uninstalled the drive and rebooted, etc. The systems SEES the drive, it just can’t read anything in it.

And for some odd reason it WILL read DVDs. So it is definitely something in the software/Windows (the drive would not be able to read DVDs if the laser was bad, etc,)

I literally am about to buy a Mac for me AND my workforce.

121. Teah Bedney says:

This actually worked for me!! I’m so relieved.

Thank you!

122. ash says:

Jo Agee, that "solution" is really no different then just deleting the upper and lower registry entries – which has not resolved to problem for the majority of us.

I am amazed that there still is no resolution to this! This issue is pushing 2 months on this message board alone.

123. Ashley says:

Unbelievable. The security on my laptop was a mess with both McAfee and Norton Anti-virus causing problems. Backed everything up and reformatted with original discs. Installed a printer and microsoft office with original discs and low and behold after that…no drives are recognized other than main hard drive. Can’t install or read any discs since the drive is not recognized at all. Have tried everything I’ve read with no success. Am really sick and tired of computers. We have gone through 2 desktops and 4 laptops in 3 years. Ridiculous.

124. Nicky Harris says:

I have the same problem as many. CD/DVD drive was working fine on my HP Pavillion dv6000, and then suddenly vanished. Tried everything suggested here to no avail. Pull your finger out Microsoft. Read this Blog and you’ll realise that this  is a common fault. Microsoft has gone way down in my estimation with Vista. My old uni lecturer used to pretend to spit every time he said the word Microsoft, and I’m beginning to understand why. Bill gates, stop concerning yourself with Eugenics and sort your company out!!!

125. soulguyman says:

Okay. so for you folks that claim that these fixes don’t work, or work for a week and then stop… either your DVD drive needs replacing OR you need to reformat your computer and STOP downloading Limewire, Bearshare, Morphius, Bit Torrent etc etc etc.

"Free" means free malware, which (if your drive isn’t physically damaged) is what’s causing your problems. Upper and Lower filters become corrupt for a number of reasons – usually software – and if you don’t take care of THAT problem, the corrupted filters are apt to return.

Stop whining about Microsoft.

126. ash says:

soulguyman, you comments aren’t any helpful or better than that of Nicky Harris…

I don’t have any downloading software on my laptop ie: Limewire, Bearshare, Morphius, Bit Torrent etc etc etc. And i still have this problem. And I think its pretty unreasonable to assume that we all have ‘broken’ DVD drives. We on this form are not the only ones have this problem. And i am monitoring 2 other discussion for a solution.

Thats a large number of people whose drives just all of the sudden stopped working.

127. Heather says:

My problem happened after a Vista upgrade. It all worked fine when I was running XP. Now my pc won’t read CDs but seems to be fine installing programs from DVD rom.

I ran an iTunes diagnostic at first and it knew the CD was there and what was on it but wouldn’t play. After running the Fix It, the diagnosis tool no longer recognises the CD. But the drive does still appear in My Computer.

Anyone know how to undo the Fix It? It seemed to be less wrong before that.

128. Bill says:

Read the fix solution description from Tuesday, April 28, 2009 8:50 PM by AJK to help resolve the Code 39 error for my CD drive.  I have a lap top and so could not disconnect the power to the drive easily.  I just left the drive open.  When I got to the step in AJK’s list to uninstall the device disabled it instead.  Then I enabled it.  Then I closed the drive with a disk inserted and it worked fine.

Good Luck

129. forrest4trees says:

from an earlier post, this worked just fine for me.

130. ash says:

forrest4trees thats pretty much the same fix as the one outlined at the top of this thread.

131. # says:

I ran the fixit program in winXP and fixed the missing dvd problem.  I think the problem was associated with me removing iTunes.

132. jesse willard says:

you do know  that  is  my  computer  doa

133. Virgil says:

The whole problem in a nutshell is, Microsoft just plain SUCKS.

134. justdave86 says:

Possible cause(s) – IE8 install/IE8 scurity update/thunderstorm in rapid succession.

Finally found modem disabled (WTF). Uninstalled dsl set-up, then discovered no cd/dvd drive.

Back-door installed dsl w/ memeory stick.

After all on-line fixes failed, replaced dvd unit. Still nothing until discovered secondary drive disabled in system set-up.

SEEMS TOO SIMPLE, BUT TRY THIS -

Note – if you made any drive sequence changes – new drive connection ribbon, swap order of multiple cd/dvd drives, etc. – set them the way you want them FIRST – then re-boot. If you change the order later, MS will not start on Restart or Shutdown.

135. Richard B says:

I’m getting the same issue as everyone above. removal of filters issue does not fix, I thought it was an apple / itunes issue and not microsfot, has microsoft come out with any statement / fix?

This is really unacceptable on MS behalf :-(

136. Mthoko F. N. says:

Help!! I have a problem of my dvd rom not recognising dvd’s in the rom,but  it can recognise cd’s (my device is LG ).

137. Fredkom says:

HP Laptop running Vista, Drive is a Toshiba TS-L632. Drive missing in Vista. Eject won’t work and the Drive’s lamp remains on.

Probably Drive defect?? Anybody has an idea?

138. Foxie says:

This solution functioned very well at several of my customers (also for Vista).

Copy the code below in a Notepad file, name it "DisparitionCD.inf" (or CD.inf), copy it on the desktop, rightclick on it and choose "Install ".

Reboot the PC. It’s all.

; Modification de registre

;

; Problème de non-reconnaissance des lecteurs DVD, CD et CD-R

; après l’installation de NERO et EZCD

;

; Développé par le service technique LDLC.com le 27 novembre 2001

;

[version]

Signature="$CHICAGO$"

SetupClass=BASE

[DefaultInstall]

delreg=CLES

[CLES]

HKLM,SYSTEMCurrentControlSetControlClass{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318},upperfilters

HKLM,SYSTEMCurrentControlSetControlClass{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318},LowerFilters

139. trigadd says:

Hello Guys,

Just tried the solution of justdave86:

"Reboot to F2 – System Setup. Look at Drive Configurations. Make sure Secondary Drive 0 and/or 1 are set to "Auto", then re-boot."

I’ve rebooted and pressed F2. Instead of system setup, the function assigned for F2 in my system is a Start-Up Test. Not having any alternative, I’ve run the Start-up Test. It first made a memory test then started the main test to which I’ve got bored. I stopped the test and continued to start my laptop. After boot up, my DVD/CD drive appeared like magic. I rebooted my laptop, it was still there. I don’t know what the hell happened but I’m happy now that I have my DVD/CD drive back.

Hope this helps the others.

Goodluck to all of you.

140. jack says:

Hi,

Still no luck ,can’t delete reg.sorry

regard jack

141. camille woods says:

SO GLAD I FOUND THESE INSTRUCTIONS. YOUR INFO WORKED AND THAT SAVED ME A LOT OF MONEY.

THANKFUL AND HAPPY, CAMILLE WOODS

142. Gaz says:

My drive shows up but won’t read anything at all.  I can put disks in and eject them.  I don’t get any error messages in the event log but the day it happened i got event ID:11.  I have tried all the "solutions" listed above. I’ve even changed the cables to no joy.  This all started when i was copying files to my pc when it just crashed half way through.  No virus detected and it hasn’t worked since.  Only other notable difference is that it takes longer for my pc to boot up.

143. zalds says:

cd-rom not appear in device mananger/also in my computer what should i do?

144. dell pentium d says:

cd-rom is not appear in my computer and also in device manager what should i do?

145. JT says:

I reformated twice and I still have no drive

146. "happy" again says:

My problem – drive shows up and will read/write CDs but won’t read DVDs.  Able to play video DVDs.

I finally was able to get rid of the problem with removal and installation of software.  Unfortunately, I do not have the exact steps to reproduce the problem and then reproduce the solution.  But I do suspect that removing Quicktime/iTunes and then reinstalling it with the latest version was part of the solution.

147. roswell says:

where the heck are the microsoft guys ?

148. Paolo says:

After 3 days I managed to fix this problem on my DELL Inspiron 6400. I tried the FixIT without results and then I did this fro the prompt as suggested here above (it might have helped):

set devmgr_show_nonpresent_devices=1

start devmgmt.msc (Device Manager starts).

Click: View/Show Hidden Devices.

Click the + sign to view any "greyed out" devices.

Right-click Uninstall.

But nothing helped. So what I did next is to remove the physical device from the PC and restart the computer without it.

After Windows starts I shut it down and reinserted the physical device.

When i restarted Windows the device was found and automatically installed. Now it works fine!

:-)

149. Jacques Hoffen says:

Thank you very very much for the help of this page.

merci beaucoup pour l’aide de cette page.

Voila un mois que je me faisais aider par un site d’aide informatique sans résultat et en 5 minutes le problème a été résolu en suivant les instructions de ces informations.

C’était clair, précis et rapide.

Encore Merci et bravo à Microsoft.

150. Jacques Hoffen says:

Thank you very very much for the help of this page.

merci beaucoup pour l’aide de cette page.

C’était clair, précis et rapide.

Encore Merci et bravo à Microsoft.

151. Victor Quiroz says:

This Microsoft fix it does not apply to your operating system or application version.

152. Zeeshan Qayum says:

How can i fix error 39 automatically for windows 7

153. Roswell says:

I have tried all the suggestions but nothing has worked…..until now. Go to start/run and then launch the device out of the closest window. It worked for me and I now no longer have the problem of bothering to get the DVD-ROM to work. Thanks to the inactivity of micosoft I now have my life back.

154. John says:

I upgraded my ‘old’ Gateway to the most recent BIOS and Chipset patch from Gateway’s site. It trashed and corrupted my QSI DVD/CDRW SBW-161 driver per device manager. Gateway was ‘no’ help. MS ‘fix it’ did the trick. Still running XP did not do the Vista upgrade. Thanx MS.

155. Linda says:

Other than the fix not telling you to reboot, Fix-it is wonderful!  I got my drives back after I downloaded the fix, then rebooted.

156. netwizzard says:

THANKS…. after being mad at Microsoft, now I can say thanks.  I knew SP3 for XP caused the problem, I just could not find the cure until I found Fix It.

157. Jerry says:

Yep same problem mostly, did the fix now I can’t burn, XP Media, SP3, this sucks. Will try the F2 thing, see if that will work.

158. Mazz says:

This is getting totally disgusting and ridiculous!  I have searched for weeks on forums, followed all instructions and still no DVD drive detected.  My work is on hold …  I need my DVD drive!  Urgh!

I also have VISTA on my laptop.  Drive has disappeared before, then reappeared only to vanish again.

The lower/upper filters deletion did didley squat and the fixit tool diagnoses my DVD drive as not detected.

Door ejects, light goes on, disc spins …

What the hell?  I have never been tortured by a computer like this before and it’s not an old machine either.

Every time there’s an update we must take our PCs to a tech?  We can’t afford that!  I can’t even do a system restore to a date when the drive showed up in windows because the last restore point is past that point in time!

Sleepless nights going to work thrashed all for nothing!

The mac has never caused issues!

159. Archna says:

I followed your advise above & ran

Name: Microsoft Fix it 50027

Old Name: Delete lower & upper filters for CD devices.

But after running the fix I get the message:

‘This Microsoft fix does not apply to your operating system or application version’.

I have a Dell Latitude D400 running Windows XP and a PD01S CD/DVD ROM. Drive letter shows, but can’t read audio/data cds.

Do you have a fix?

160. Savarinathan says:

It is a maze of information I am unable to find it exactly for my XP.Is there no friendly print?

161. Anna says:

after all searching to solve this ****ing problem, the answer was here:

and it works!

162. Archna says:

# CD/DVD drive only reads DVD, not CDs?

I followed your advise above & ran

Name: Microsoft Fix it 50027

Old Name: Delete lower & upper filters for CD devices.

But after running the fix I get the message:

Do you have a fix?

163. Hate MS now says:

This link is provided by a Microsoft Most Valuable Professionals (MVPs)

I did not found the solution but I found that there are lots of experts in MS who don’t deserve a word "valuable" Since they post solutions on other sites to earn extra money.

therefore there is no solution for the above costumers and Thus MS sucks.

Go get a MAC. is my shout.

164. Hate MS now says:

This link is provided by a Microsoft Most Valuable Professionals (MVPs)

therefore there is no solution for the above costumers and Thus MS sucks.

Go get a Mac. is my shout.

165. KathyO says:

I’ve tried every one of the "solutions" above and not one of them work to clear my Code 19 on my cd/dvd drives.  MS, please help!

166. omega says:

When starting in normal mode using XP SP3, Device Manager doesn’t see my laptop CD/DVD-ROM.  I tried regedit, did not work.  But starting in safe mode (tap F8 during bootup), Device Manager always sees the CD/DVD-ROM device.  I uninstalled and reinstalled the drivers, and when booting back into normal mode, it appears to work.  Not sure if this is a permanent solution, but worth a shot.

167. alamri says:

need to update all missing drive

168. ted shap says:

My notebook could not find the DVD/CD drive.

I fixed it myself, and here is how:

1. I noticed that when I pressed the open button on the dvd drive tray with the power on, it would not open.

2. If the tray does not open, it means the drive is NOT getting any power.

3. I removed the power and battery and unscrewed the mounting screw on the back that holds

the drive in the laptop.

4. I pulled out the drive and saw that the bracket on the end of the drive was bent! This meant that the

drive wasn’t seated reliably in the power socket.

5. I straightened the bracket and reinstalled the drive.

6. It now works perfectly.

Ted Shapin

169. Dave B says:

I’m running Windows Media player 11. Am unable to burn to cdrw from the playlist, get a message telling me to "connect burner and restart the player. I have tried burning from itunes and it works ok. Tried Tools, options device, properties but it doesnt display a record tab ??

170. shannon says:

my cd/dvd drive does not read any disck

171. Lugi says:

I was pretty excited to see that there’s anew Fixit for this (apart from the upper/lower thing).  Unfortunately, Microsoft Automated Troubleshooting CD/DVD Fix-it errors out with the message "Troubleshooting cannot proceed because an error occurred", then "If we know what the error is we can state it here, otherwise we would leave this out…"  I’ve tried disabling antivirus and firewall, but I still get this.  I’m using Windows XP (SP3), IE8.  I don’t see the yellow bar which I guess I’m supposed to see in IE, but the Fix-it starts up anyway, downloads something, then dies.

172. Jose F. Medeiros says:

I had the same issue with my missing DVD/CD drive after a Windows Update. The driver class filter was corrupt. You can use the script in this article or just visit http://support.microsoft.com/gp/cd_dvd_drive_problems  and run the Microsoft Tool and it will do the repair automatically.

I also run Nero and Itunes, and the tool was able to repair the drivers class  filters without a reinstall of Nero.

Jose F. Medeiros

173. Paul says:

Yet another with this problem.

Yet another that CD works with Boot dics/Bios but not windows.

Yet another that the deleting filters does squat for.

174. Barry Weare says:

Same as above Microsoft Automated Troubleshooting CD/DVD Fix-it errors out with the message "Troubleshooting cannot proceed because an error occurred", then "If we know what the error is we can state it here, otherwise we would leave this out…"  I’ve tried disabling antivirus and firewall, but I still get this.  I’m using Windows XP (SP3), IE8.  I don’t see the yellow bar which I guess I’m supposed to see in IE, but the Fix-it starts up anyway, downloads something, then dies. Totally p*d off with microsoft.

175. madhav says:

Hi,

I have same problem ,my DVD R/W disappeared from my laptop. but I could find lower/upper filters to remove. can you help me

176. Ray says:

my cdrw/dvd is found by windows and the device manager sayes it is working fine how ever with any disk in it it show 0 bits used, if I right click on the drive letter it has a spot that asks if I want to mover these files to cd, then if I click on it it sayes there is no cd in drive,Go figure I have been trying to figure this out since october "08"

177. Richard Hubacek says:

I had the same problem. Found that my Sony DVD DW-Q58A was missing on my laptop Dell Inspiron 6000 (Windows XP SP3). Don’t know when the problem started, I don’t use the drive much. Tried most of the fixes listed here. None of them worked. I decided to work on another problem, Comcast moving from Mcafee to Norton 360 as their security program. I got blue screened on one of my computers when I switched and no one could help. Finally just installed Avira (free) and computer worked. On my laptop I removed Mcafee. Used both "Norton Removal Tool" and "MCPR" for total removal. Installed Avira. I then decided to uninstall my "secondary IDE channel" which device manager showed with either Code 39 or Code 19. I restarted my laptop and it installed my Sony DVD-RW Drive and stated that it was installed successfully, BUT Avira came up with the statement that it had found malware (Rkit/Rootkit.XCP.2). Before I had it removed I check to see if my DVD drive was there and it was. I had Avira remove the malware and after several restarts my DVD Drive is still there. I don’t know what happened, if it was Norton or Mcafee removal or the removal of the malware that solved the problem but am happy that my DVD drive was back. I’m writing this hoping that my story might help others with this problem.

178. aileen says:

This is great. thanks a lot fot this article regarding the <a href="http://www.cdpostershop.com/…/a&gt;

179. suhail pakistan says:

if above does not help, then try this (it woeked for me in win xp)

[Start] [Run] [Regedit]

Registry Key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESYSTEMCurrentControlSetControlClass

Key Name: {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

Value Data: [Delete All Value Data from UpperFilters and LowerFilters]

Note: Do not delete the Key or the Multi-String Values. Delete only the data values.

Exit Registry and Reboot

180. stevek says:

Compaq C751nr could not install the drivers one day for the DVD drive that had been working for two years. Fix It 50027.msi corrected the problem, but created a new problem – the wireless LAN will not work. The button that turns on / off the wireless feature stays red/orange. Pressing it toggles the description between off / disabled. Thanks for the "fix".

181. Radisson says:

All answers are way too complicated over nothing.

Download Microsoft Fit-it Centre from Microsoft and the program will scan, repair or upload missing parts in no time.

Save the program on your hard drive for future problems.

It work magic for my old Windows XP / SP3.

182. bb says:

hey guys My disc driver is cannot be detected and the icon is disappeared from my computer and device manager, I have tried the above solution as listed for vista users but in the end, the programme said it could not detect any disc driver.  I have also tried to solve through 'Editor Registry', there was not 'upper' and 'lower' filters to be deleted. So do u think u could help me to solve this problem

183. Vladimir Kuizon says:

Thank you so much it did work for me, hahaha bulshit… I updated windows vista home premium then I do not know exactly what happened. When I tried following the XP users guide it did work for me thanks a lot hahahahaha…. I'm so damn happy hehehehe Got tired of trying the regedit procedure yet nothing happens then I just followed the XP users guide then it works so thanks it fine now hahahaha

Note: Got a vista Home Premium Office but XP users guide worked.

184. luchito says:

I can not copy dvd to a blank dvd, how i can download drivers for windows XP. and down load BIOS latest version.?

185. Nick says:

Didn't work. I have no filters listed and the DVD drives don't show up in the device manger.

186. mian g says:

i have same problem solution for problem

187. shreyansh Dutt says:

Why Does This Happen?

The most likely cause of this problem is a fault with (or conflict between) different CD burning programs on your computer. Such programs often install their own software called ‘filters’ that should allow better integration with your drive.

Unfortunately, as you install more CD burning programs you may end up with several of these filters which ‘compete’ with each other to access the drive at the same time, causing the drive to ‘lockup’ and not be recognized in Windows. This will continue until the offending filters are removed.

How Do I Fix It?

To remove the filters you need to edit the Windows registry. Note: after doing this you may have to reinstall your CD burning program (e.g. Nero or Roxio etc.)

Warning: The registry is a very important database containing Windows configuration settings. Before editing it you should always create a new System Restore point in case you need to revert back to before the changes.

1.  Hold down the Windows key on your keyboard and press the letter R to open the Run command

2.  In the Run command type the word   regedit   and press OK to open the Registry Editor – you navigate down it by opening the folders and subfolders in the left panel (double click to open or click on the + sign to open subfolders and the – sign to close them)

3.  Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESYSTEMCurrentControlSetControlClass{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

4.  Highlight this key by left clicking on it once.

5.  On the right hand side right panel, right click on UpperFilters (if it is not there just move on to the next step) and choose Delete and OK to delete the value.

6.  On the right hand side right panel, right click on LowerFilters (if it is not there just move on to the next step) and choose Delete and OK to delete the value.

7.  Close the Registry Editor and restart your computer.

Your CD/DVD drive should now be showing again in My Computer and other programs.

How Do I Avoid This Problem In Future?

1.  Don’t overload your computer with several CD burning programs. Choose one and stick to it e.g. Nero, Roxio, Itunes etc – the more such programs you have installed, the more likely they are to cause this type of problem.

2.  Keep your CD burning software up to date – upgrade to a newer version when available to ensure better compatibility with Windows and other programs. Many of the problems we see are caused by software that is years old and has never been updated – even though updates are often free for registered users.

for more info please visit:

restonprime.blogspot.in

188. Shreyansh Dutt says:

Why Does This Happen?

How Do I Fix It?

4.  Highlight this key by left clicking on it once.

7.  Close the Registry Editor and restart your computer.

How Do I Avoid This Problem In Future?

for more info please visit:

restonprime.blogspot.in

189. PCprop.com says:

I saw this problem today, the DVD showed up in device manager, but not visible in windows explorer. I tried removed the upperfilters and lowerfilters, but still no DVD drive.

I solved it by renameing the registry key SilentInstall to SilentInstall.bak and NoInstallClass to NoInstallClass.bak

I then uninstalled the DVD drive from the device manager then right clicked on Computer and chose Scan For Hardware changes, it then re-installed the dvd drive properly and was then visible in windows explorer

190. PCprop.com says:

further to my last reply, I found th NoInstallClass and SilentInstall registry keys in the same place as the upper and lower filters.

191. Trompette says:

Lecteur de CD ou de DVD est manquant dans Windows XP ou Vista

192. RobIreland says:

I tried absolutely everything suggested by this and other forums over 2 frustrating days and there are only 2 things that worked for me:

Open the CD drive (with a paper clip in the little hole in the front if necessary) and move the little rectangle in the centre (Optic reader or something)a few inches and reboot. This worked for me but the drive disappeared again

until I read Omega's post – thanks Omega. Just reboot in safe mode – (google safe mode for your brand of laptoppc) then the drive will appear in device manager. Disable it and reboot normally and the drive is back. Phew! What a heap of ridiculous with such an obvious solution.

Omega

193. reena says:

it really worked. Thanks a ton!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

194. felice pedrotti says:

Non funziona l'audio perchè c'è un conflitto. Non potete riparlo voi. Grazie

195. felice pedrotti says:

Non funziona il suono perchè c'è un conflitto. Io non riesco ad eliminare il conflitto. Potete farlo Voi. Grazie

196. Gazaoui says:

C’est encor moi je rencontre d’autre problème qui lieu avec mon lecteur CD-rom et DVD impossible quil sa fiche dans le poste de travail

197. Manoj Kumar says:

Dis is the right commant

7) Uninstall & Reinstall any DVD/CD burning software

198. mang says:

mang khaya moja koro

199. diskfaktory says:

thanks..

high quality cd duplication and replication

200. diskfaktory says:

nice!

high quality cd duplication and replication

201. xeb says:

very informative thank you, guys if you still have trouble then you might try this post, cheers

202. Manny says:

I have an old HP Pavilion a747c PC, windows XP I replaced my old IDE CD/DVD with a new SATA drive, problem is that I does shows on BIOS but not on windows, I double checked cables and connections to be well conncted, pluged to a SATA port on the motherboard,
    I found and delete upper and lower filters on registry as per others suggest but still I cannot see my new CD/DVD drive on windows, since I have an old IDE drive and PC was configured to work with IDE format drive do I need to make some changes on BIOS or
    what do I need to make it work, do I need to delete IDE drives to make work the SATA drives? I feel going crazy, everything was OK after I replaced a new hard drive 1TB on this PC, or do I need SATA drives on this PC to make it work. Help please, God Bless
    all.

203. Emmanuel says:

what about window 7, how will solve this issue of not detecting my CD Rom

204. Ned says:

Thanks so much for the help. I followed your instructions and it went perfect. It works fine now. Thanks again