Enable Num Lock Key at Logon Screen Fix it Live!

We just released another Fix it Knowledge Base (KB) article. This Fix it enables the NUM LOCK key for the logon screen as described in KB 154529.

The "fix" made the necessary registery enter, however num lock is still "off"

I tried the FixIt Live and it did not work. Then I went into HKEY_CURRENT_USERControl PanelKeyboard and found it was set to 2. logged in to all users of my machine and found it was set to 2.

The registry hack is the way I got it to work. Make sure you go to here: HKEY_USERS.DefaultControl PanelKeyboard

and follow the instructions.

Mine was set correctly before I installed IE8. I also added another user at the same time so I’m not sure which one put it to default, which is 0.

Hope this helps.

3. Gene Cummins says:

From gene.cummins@shiacawn.com:

It didn’t work.  Running the script did change the registry entry, but the "num lock" still doesn’t come on when rebooting.

4. Kevin says:

As Gene said, it does not work. I ran the script and "nim locks" still isn’t enabled

5. Kathy Kenison says:

I loved it… anything to save me a few steps…

6. gloria says:

num lock key at logon screen fix it  did not work any other suggestion?

7. Mark says:

This fix worked the first time I ran it from the website to my computer, I then tried to save it and deploy it via gpo, with no luck.  Now after changing my regestry settings back to default and running the fix again from the website I get the error "This advertised application will not e installed because it might be unsafe. Contact your administrator to change the installation user interface option of the package to basic.  Any Help?  I need to apply this fix across my domain!

8. Michael Battaglia says:

I ran the program on my Acer Aspire 5735-4624 laptop, running Windows Vista Home Premium SP1 and it did nothing for the problem. I cannot set this option in my BIOS as it is not there. Is there another fix as I use numbers on all passwords and keep forgetting to press the numlock key??? My email is above in the url box.

9. PatRick says:

It won’t work,  even if I try to change the key manually in the registry.  I got the error : Can not edit the key : Error writing the value’s new contents.

10. Dave says:

The fix WORKED for me after apply one extra step.  I set "NUM LOCK" to "OFF" in the BIOS as this was reversing the action/setting done by this "fix".  Give it a try.

11. Rico says:

I tried and did not work for me numlock still not on a log on screen. Bummer!!

12. Dave says:

Same problem as Gene

Does anyone read these posts?

13. Bob Hyatt says:

I finally got it to work.

Put the script in:

C:Documents and SettingsAll UsersStart MenuProgramsStartup

Then make sure both:

HKEY_CURRENT_USERControl PanelKeyboard and HKEY_USERS.DefaultControl PanelKeyboard are both set at 2 for InitialKeyboardIndicators.

Restart, set bios to Num Lock OFF. Start Windows.

If you watch your Num Lock Indicator, it will briefly be on at start-up, go out before login, go on for login, go off briefly during loading, then be on again during operation.

14. Bob Hyatt says:

Don’t put that script in any other user startup folder or add it is a group object login script. Those will defeat the num lock script.

15. Robert Johnson says:

Your complete program is wonderful – I had no idea that there was such fantastic and helpful information available,

Robert Johnson

16. RD says:

I had the same problem, but When I checked the registry entry "HKEY_USERS.DefaultControl PanelKeyboard"  InitialKeyboardIndicators value is already on 2.

By taking a further step I managed to fix it.

If the NUM LOCK is off at the logon screen, press the NUM LOCK button on keyboard then without entering user windows user name/password, RESTART the PC.

(DO not login after pressing NUM LOCK on, Simply REstart using the restart option loacted on bottom left corner)

Whola the NUM LoCK is automatically enabled next time at the logon screen.

(Similarly If you wannt to disable the Num lock you can turn off Num lock at login and restart)

17. janine mathieu says:

j,adore fixit mes erreurs seront en fin corriger