Do Not Compress Old Files For Disk Cleanup Tool Fix it Live!

We just released another Fix it Knowledge Base (KB) article. This Fix it deletes the Compress old files registry key as described in KB 812248.

Thanks, my problem appears to be fixed.  This hadn’t worked since forever, and when I talked to a tech, he told me to reinstall my whole Windows XP program!

Hi, folks:

my laptop mem slot, Webcam/touch screen are totally dead after cypess updates. but my "roll back" button is disabled although my account is admin type. anybody can help? thanks in advance.

3. james says:

genuine is sticking on my cupter

4. Bitterman says:

2009-02-26 windows update suggested following drivers

Cypress – Other hardware – Cypress AT2LP (3.03.0000.2)

Cypress – Other hardware – HX2LP Kit (3.03.0000.2)

Now my yakumo 250 GB USB external harddrive is not working.

Its not to be found in system. I can not uninstall these

cypress in device manager or add remove programs.

No drive letter appears when using Cypress manufacturing drivers

Last Updated: 12/19/2008

The Cypress manufacturing drivers are used to interface with the AT2LP for such operations as programming the EEPROM or running factory tests. No mass storage interface is enabled when using the manufacturing drivers, so no drive letter will appear. This is normal expected behavior.

Note: Cypress also offers mass storage drivers, so confusion between the manufacturing and mass storage drivers sometimes occurs.

Related Categories: USB High-Speed Peripherals

"" Is it the wrong driver on windows update?

5. George says:

My disk cleanup will not open. How can I fix

6. autotran says:

To Bitterman,

I used my system restore using a system checkpoint from this AM and it removed Cypress AT2LP (3.03.0000.2). In my update history it still shows, but when you run Windows Update it shows that you can install it again. I then marked it hidden.

My USB hard drive came back immediately upon removing this supposed upgrade. Dave

7. coop says:

How can I repair this situation if I dont have a restore point?  Any clues?

8. Ook says:

Yes, if you don’t have any restore points, simply open Device Management (devmgmt.msc) and find the HX2LP Kit (or Cypress) entry under the USB controllers section and click "Rollback" on the driver, and then reboot. Should also fix the problem!

PS: What a nasty side issue this is 🙁

9. coop says:

Ook – that worked perfectly.  Thank you so much.  If we were at a bar the beers would be on me.

10. Ook says:

*makes note in beer-book

11. OneTrader says:

I have the same problem of not being able to see my USB hard drive.  It’s mounted within my docking station for my laptop.  The USB ports on the docking station also do not work.  I understand the fix outlined above, but when I’m in device manager, there is no HX2LP or Cypress listed.  I think XP may have shutdown or hid this whole driver? one time when the battery ran out of power while it was undocked.

Any ideas on how I can fix my similar problem?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

12. Josef says:

Hi, before I read this solution, I deleted the driver and installed again but nothing. now I can’t rolback! the roolback button aint active.

13. robert harms says:

i have fixed this by hand so many times, but it’s great to have an auto fix!  Thanks!!

14. rebecca says:

ever since auto updates, I cannot open e-mails containing videos.  WHY?

15. rebecca says:

ever since auto updates, I cannot open e-mails containing videos.  WHY?

16. Edith says:

If I’d been able to find this method/fix-it tool for Disk Cleanup not compressing old files, it could have saved me one reason for an O.S. uninstall/reinstallation.

17. Barry mazzaglia says:

my disk clean up is gone from system

18. 8675309 says:

i did what it said but how do i add it back?

19. martin denny says:

I like the way this job was handled and finished.  thank you

20. Bob Hyatt says:

It is about time someone trhought of this.

21. Wesley says:

Any idea on how do i fix this problem? When i run the disk clean up the compress files does not get deleted, what do i do to fix that?

22. jay says:

I used the fix it option and now my compress old files option is gone from my disk cleanup list.  How do I get it back or do I need it?

23. margie says:

mu "compress old files option" is gone after using your fix-it. Now I don’t have a "bold" restoration point when i go to system restore program . Now what do i do???

24. Chuck says:

whenever i try disk clean up tool. my screen freezes and i get a blue error screen

25. Benjamin Vargas says:

It freezes and then i have delete and reopen and then freezes again

26. mary holmes says:

i need my disk clean up clean i do not know what to do

27. mystredr says:

every time i start a privacy cleanup, i get a note unable to access program c:….

i have windows 8 w/xp3, i don't get a error code#

any help, thanks

28. Ray Cahill says:

compress old files is missing from my disc cleanup,I have tried several different methods to restore it but it has not do I restore this to disc cleanup??