Show Internet Explorer Desktop Icon Fix it

Technical details about this Microsoft Fix it solution
Name: Microsoft Fix it 50228
Old Name: Show Internet Explorer Desktop Icon
Version 1.1.1Automates steps in KB945402.
Additional Information: Localized in 23 languages

This Fix it adds the Internet Explorer icon to your desktop as described in the following article:

We have re-released this Fix it based on your feedback to account for additional scenarios. Thank you so much for continuing to provide feedback.

1. You’re welcome romfct! Glad this solution worked for you! Your input helps us make sure we are delivering the right solutions, and we appreciate you taking the time to let us know.

2. Hi Bill,

Sorry for the slow response here. Which instructions are you referring to? To use a Fix it, you just need to click the Fix it button (or Fix this problem link under the button). Then, click Run in the File Download dialog box and follow the steps in the Fix it wizard.

Did you try this one?

3. bmahaf says:

Hello Bruce,

Thank you for taking the time to post a comment.

Are you able to see other icons on your desktop?

If you click on your desktop using the mouse and then press F5 does the icon appear?

Do you have a folder on your desktop called "Unused Desktop Shortcuts"?

Thanks,

-brian

4. bmahaf says:

Hello Bruce,

Thank you for following up. At some point the Desktop Cleanup Wizard in Windows XP is run which creates the Unused Desktop Shortcuts folder on the desktop.

I am glad to hear that your icon is back. I hope you have a great rest of your week.

-brian

5. bmahaf says:

Hey mla1,

Thanks for posting to the blog. I have taken your feedback and added it to our list to investigate for a future version of this fix.

I really appreciate you taking the time to provide the registry information so that we can improve our fixes.

-brian

6. Craig Landis says:

This is great! I’m excited for the prospect of Microsoft automatically fixing my problems. 🙂

7. mla1 says:

Did not fix it for me I was using a custom  theme in classic view I needed to set the following REg Key

HKCUSoftwareMicrosoftWindowsCurrentVersionExplorerCLSID{871C5380-42A0-1069-A2EA-08002B30309D}ShellFolder

Attributes REG_DWORD 0

8. Bruce says:

Ihave gone through all of the recommended fixes, but still cannot see the icon. Every registry key mentioned is correct in my set up,  I ran the fix it icon, and created the reg key text file and ran it.

Still not there.

Any other suggestions.

9. Bruce says:

Thanks for the questions.

In response – I see all other icons.

F5 does not make it appear.

Yes, had unused desktop shortcuts. In there was a folder with the {871C5380-42A0-1069-A2EA-08002B30309D} that relate to explorer icon. moved it back to the desktop, now have the icon. Yeh!!

I also removed the KB security update related to this issue and now have the checklist in theproperties.

Boy MS can be frustrating.

10. bill says:

Have you tried using Fix It? Is it easy to work with? If your answer is yes, then the instructions on how to use Fix it are not simple to work with. Why is it for Microsoft so difficult to post easy to follow instructions?

11. romfct says:

Thank you, mla1! I have been trying to fix this problem for ages. Your fix was the only one that worked for me.

12. John Wood says:

i have a thing that pop up that said send or notsend when i am on the internet

13. cheap propecia says:

I want to say – thank you for this!

14. Cleo Holliefield says:

I can not get any of my passwords to working.  Can you pleasde help me????

15. Cleo Holliefield says:

I can not get any of my passwords to working.  Can you pleasde help me????

16. I am jose v says:

no estoy muy contento con mi computador no esta trvajando correctamente yo mando el mensaje de reporte y no pasa nada porfavor alguien podria ayudarme se los agradeseria mi email es josev66@msn.com gracias.

17. Perry says:

Sir, I dont have still the Icon of fix it on my disktop, and cant install Windows explorer 8. Thanx anyway.

18. gerri green says:

i am not sure how to use this but i really need help fixing my internet explorer

19. Vickie Huntsman says:

My husband uses Mr Fix-it on his computer and he says it does a good job of taking care of his computer problems