Work Folders for iOS can now upload files!
We are happy to announce, that we’ve just released an update to the Work Folders app on iOS that now allows anyone to upload pictures and documents from other apps, take pictures or even write a simple note – right from within the Work Folders App.
We also released a version with this feature set for Android.
Work Folders is a Windows Server feature since 2012 R2 that enables individual employees to access their files securely from inside and outside the corporate environment. The Work Folders app connects to the server and enables file access on your iOS phone and tablet. Work Folders enables this while allowing the organization’s IT department to fully secure that data.
Using the latest version of Work Folders for iOS, users can now:
- Sync files that were created or edited on their device
- Take pictures and write notes within the Work Folders application
For the complete list of Work Folders for iOS features, please reference the feature list section below.
Work Folders for iOS – Feature List
- Sync files that were created or edited on your device
- Take pictures and write notes within the Work Folders app
- Pin files for offline viewing – saves storage space by showing all available files but locally storing and keeping in sync only the files you care about.
- Files are always encrypted – on the wire and at rest on the device.
- Access to the app is protected by an app passcode – keeping others out even if the device is left unlocked and unattended.
- Allows for DIGEST and Active Directory Federation Services (ADFS) authentication mechanisms including multi factor authentication.
- Search for files and folders
- Open files in other apps that might be specialized to work with a certain file type
- Integration with Microsoft Intune
Saving your office files into the Work Folders app
Microsoft Office files are read-only when opening the files from the Work Folders app.
- Inside any of the office apps, tap “Duplicate” to store the file locally on your iOS device.
- Make your changes and save the file.
- Follow the steps below to sync any office file with your Work Folders app:
Blogs and Links
If you’re interested in learning more about Work Folders, here are some great resources:
- Work Folders blogs on Server Storage blog
- Nir Ben Zvi introduced Work Folders on Windows Server 2012 R2
- Work Folders for iOS help
- Work Folders for Windows 7 SP1: Check out this post by Jian Yan on the Server Storage blog
- Roiy Zysman posted a great list of Work Folders resources in this blog.
- See this Q&A With Fabian Uhse, Program Manager for Work Folders in Windows Server 2012 R2
- Also, check out these posts about how to setup a Work Folders test lab, certificate management,
and tips on running Work Folders on Windows Failover Clusters.
- Using Work Folders with IIS websites or the Windows Server Essentials Role (Resolving Port Conflicts)
Introduction and Getting Started
- Introducing Work Folders on Windows Server 2012 R2
- Work Folders Overview on TechNet
- Designing a Work Folders Implementation on TechNet
- Deploying Work Folders on TechNet
- Work folders FAQ (Targeted for Work Folders end users)
- Work Folders Q&A
- Work Folders Powershell Cmdlets
- Work Folders Test Lab Deployment
- Windows Storage Server 2012 R2 — Work Folders
- Work Folders for Windows 7
Advanced Work Folders Deployment and Management
- Work Folders interoperability with other file server technologies
- Performance Considerations for Work Folders Deployments
- Windows Server 2012 R2 – Resolving Port Conflict with IIS Websites and Work Folders
- A new user attribute for Work Folders server Url
- Work Folders Certificate Management
- Work Folders on Clusters
- Monitoring Windows Server 2012 R2 Work Folders Deployments.
- Deploying Work Folders with AD FS and Web Application Proxy (WAP)
- Deploying Windows Server 2012 R2 Work Folders in a Virtual Machine in Windows Azure
- Offline Files (CSC) to Work Folders Migration Guide
- Management with Microsoft Intune
- Windows Server Work Folders Overview: My Corporate Data on All of My Devices
- Windows Server Work Folders – a Deep Dive into the New Windows Server Data Sync Solution
- Work Folders on Channel 9
- Work Folders iPad reveal – TechEd Europe 2014 (in German)
- Work Folders on the “Edge Show” (iPad + iPhone video, English)
- Work Folders for Android on Channel 9