We are happy to announce that an Android app for Work Folders has been released into the Google PlayStore® and is available as a free download.
Work Folders is a Windows Server feature since 20012R2 that allows individual employees to access their files securely from inside and outside the corporate environment. This app connects to it and enables file access on your Android Phone and Tablet. Work Folders enables this while allowing the organization’s IT department to fully secure that data.
This app features an intuitive UI, selective sync, end-to-end encryption and search.
In order to view files one can open-in the file in an appropriate app on the device.
Work Folders App on Android – Features
- Pin files for offline viewing.
Saves storage space by fully showing all available files but locally storing and keeping in sync only the files you care about.
- Files are stored encrypted at all times. On the wire and at rest on the device.
- Access to the app is protected by an app passcode – keeping others out even if the device is left unlocked and unattended.
- Allows for DIGEST and Active Directory Federation Services (ADFS) authentication mechanisms including multi factor authentication.
- Search for files and folders
- Open files in other apps that might be specialized to work with a certain file type.
Some Android phone screenshots
Android Version support
Work Folders for Android is supported on all devices running Android Version 4.4 KitKat and later.
At release we are covering therefore a little over 70% of the Android market and believe our coverage will increase over time.
Blogs and Links
If you’re interested in learning more about Work Folders, here are some great resources:
- Nir Ben Zvi introduced Work Folders on Windows Server 2012 R2.
- Work Folders for iOS help
- Work Folders for Windows 7 SP1: Check out this post by Jian Yan on the File Cabinet blog.
- Roiy Zysman posted a great list of Work Folders resources in this blog.
- See this Q&A With Fabian Uhse, Program Manager for Work Folders in Windows Server 2012 R2
- Also, check out these posts about how to setup a Work Folders test lab, certificate management,
and tips on running Work Folders on Windows Failover Clusters.
- Using Work Folders with IIS websites or the Windows Server Essentials Role (Resolving Port Conflicts)
All the goods
Introduction and Getting Started
- Introducing Work Folders on Windows Server 2012 R2
- Work Folders Overview on TechNet
- Designing a Work Folders Implementation on TechNet
- Deploying Work Folders on TechNet
- Work folders FAQ (Targeted for Work Folders end users)
- Work Folders Q&A
- Work Folders Powershell Cmdlets
- Work Folders Test Lab Deployment
- Windows Storage Server 2012 R2 — Work Folders
- Work Folders for Windows 7
Advanced Work Folders Deployment and Management
- Work Folders interoperability with other file server technologies
- Performance Considerations for Work Folders Deployments
- Windows Server 2012 R2 – Resolving Port Conflict with IIS Websites and Work Folders
- A new user attribute for Work Folders server Url
- Work Folders Certificate Management
- Work Folders on Clusters
- Monitoring Windows Server 2012 R2 Work Folders Deployments.
- Deploying Work Folders with AD FS and Web Application Proxy (WAP)
- Deploying Windows Server 2012 R2 Work Folders in a Virtual Machine in Windows Azure
- Windows Server Work Folders Overview: My Corporate Data on All of My Devices
- Windows Server Work Folders – a Deep Dive into the New Windows Server Data Sync Solution
- Work Folders on Channel 9
- Work Folders iPad reveal – TechEd Europe 2014 (in German)
- LATEST: Work Folders on the “Edge Show” (iPad + iPhone video, English)