This is a summary of recent additions and revisions to the VSS and ASR documentation on MSDN and TechNet.
1. The following new API elements have been documented:
a. IVssComponentEx2 interface (
b. IVssCreateExpressWriterMetadata interface (http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd765211.aspx)
c. IVssExpressWriter interface (http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd405596.aspx)
d. CVssWriterEx2 class (http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd405545.aspx)
e. VSS_RECOVERY_OPTIONS enumeration (http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd433620.aspx)
f. CreateVssExpressWriter function (http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd405544.aspx)
g. IVssHardwareSnapshotProviderEx::ResyncLuns method (http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb427429.aspx)
2. A new topic, “Using Tracing Tools with VSS” (http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd765233.aspx), was added.
3. The Remarks sections for the following methods have been completely rewritten:
a. IVssBackupComponents::EnableWriterClasses (
b. IVssBackupComponents::DisableWriterClasses (http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa382655.aspx)
c. IVssBackupComponents::DisableWriterInstances (http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa382657.aspx)
4. The in-box VSS writer lists have been expanded. These will eventually be consolidated into a single master list.
a. New In-Box VSS Writers for Windows Server 2008 R2 and Windows 7 (
b. New In-Box VSS Writers for Windows Server 2008 and Windows Vista SP1 (http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee517247.aspx)
c. In-Box VSS Writers (http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb968827.aspx)
5. The MaxShadowCopies and MinDiffAreaFileSize registry values have been added to “Registry Keys and Values for Backup and Restore” (http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb891959.aspx)
6. The sequence of requester and writer actions in “Overview of the Backup Discovery Phase” (http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa384593.aspx) has been revised.
7. The Events and Errors troubleshooting documentation for VSS (also called the VSS Health Model) (http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc734243.aspx) has been updated for Windows Server 2008 R2.
8. The VShadow command has new command-line options for reverting to a previous shadow copy and for resynchronizing LUNs:http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb530725.aspx
9. The registry value information in “Security Considerations for Writers” (http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa384605.aspx) and “Security Considerations for Requesters” (http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa384604.aspx) has been updated.
10. A code example was added to “Using VSS Automated System Recovery for Disaster Recovery” (http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa384630.aspx)