After requests to release a version of File Server Migration Toolkit (FSMT) compatible with Windows Server 2008, the Storage Solutions Division at Microsoft brings you FSMT 1.1 Beta!
Microsoft File Server Migration Toolkit v 1.1 adds the possibility to migrate and consolidate data to file servers running Windows Server 2008. With that, FSMT aims to reduce total cost of ownership (TCO) and increase the efficiency of storage management and backup tasks. It covers two main features:
- File Server Migration Wizard which copy shared folders, files, and their security settings from a source file server to a target file server.
- DFS consolidation root wizard which maintain the original Universal Naming Convention (UNC) path of files after they are migrated to a new server.
We are running a short beta for the tool. If you’d like to have first hand access to FSMT 1.1, follow the instructions below before August 8th:
- Go to http://connect.microsoft.com
- Sign in with your live ID. If it’s your first time at Connect, you might have to fill in a small profile.
- Under the Connection Directory session, look for “File Server Tools” program and click “Apply Now”.
- In the left menu, click the “Download” link to download FSRM 1.1 beta.
Instructions for download and submitting feedback can be found inside the program main page.