Microsoft® Hyper-V™ Server 2008 R2 is a stand-alone product that provides a reliable and optimized virtualization solution enabling organizations to improve server utilization and reduce costs. With the addition of new features such as live migration and expanded processor and memory support for host systems, it allows organizations to consolidate workloads onto a single physical server and is a good solution for organizations who are consolidating servers as well as for development and test environments.
By having the ability to plug into existing IT infrastructures Microsoft Hyper-V Server 2008 R2 enables companies to reduce costs, improve utilization and provision new servers. It allows IT professionals to leverage existing patching, provisioning, management and support tools and processes. IT Professionals can continue to leverage their individual skills and the collective knowledge of Microsoft tools, minimizing the learning curve to manage Microsoft Hyper-V Server 2008 R2. In addition, with Microsoft providing comprehensive support for Microsoft applications and heterogeneous guest operating systems support, customers can virtualize with confidence and peace of mind.
- Note: This is a pre-release version of Microsoft® Hyper-V™ Server 2008 R2 and not intended to be used in a production environment.
- Processor : x64 compatible processor with Intel VT or AMD-V technology enabled.
Hardware Data Execution Prevention (DEP), specifically Intel XD bit (execute disable bit) or AMD NX bit (no execute bit), must be available and enabled.
- Minimum CPU speed : 1.4 GHz; Recommended: 2 GHz or faster
- RAM : Minimum: 1 GB RAM; Recommended: 2+ GB RAM; Maximum 1 TB
- Required Available disk space : 4GB of available hard disk space (additional disk space needed for each guest operating system)
- DVD ROM drive
- Display : Super VGA (800 × 600) or higher resolution monitor
- Other : Keyboard and Microsoft Mouse or compatible pointing device
Hyper-V Server 2008 R2 beta is a 64-bit only technology and it is not supported on IA64 or x86 systems.