It’s been a while since we talked about VSSTester script!
Murali, who maintained the script before, asked me to take over the script maintenance and thus I’m releasing this updated version. This script update is long overdue but better late than never! As before, you can grab a copy of the script from here.
What’s changed in v1.1:
- Exchange 2013 support
- Execution option #3 (custom) is removed
- Better user input handling
- Output formatting improvements
- Execution speed optimization (in particular, gathering system and application events)
- Various bugfixes (e.g. forcing log file overwrites so that you can run the script multiple times on the same machine)
For the nitty-gritty details on the script, please refer to the original blog post which announced it. The operation of the script is the same and should be fairly self-explanatory.
Here’s a screenshot preview of how the script starts now:
I hope this script helps you troubleshoot your database backups. Please give feedback in the comments or by emailing me directly (my email is in the script).