Windows 2008 R2 SP1 general availability and what it means for Exchange

Now that you might have seen the announcement for general availability of Windows 2008 R2 SP1, we wanted to get ahead of the inevitable question: “Is Exchange supported running on Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1?”

We wanted to let you know that we’ve completed testing with Windows 2008 R2 SP1 and the following versions of Exchange are supported to run on Windows 2008 R2 SP1 (the RTM version of SP1):

• Exchange 2010 SP1
  • Exchange 2010 RTM
  • Exchange 2007 SP3

Please note that Exchange 2007 was not supported to run on Windows 2008 R2 at all before Exchange 2007 SP3 release.

Also note, Windows 2008 R2 SP1 includes the hotfixes required to install Exchange 2010 SP1 (listed in Exchange 2010 SP1 FAQ and Known Issues — 979744, 983440, 979099, 982867 and 977020). If you’re installing Exchange 2010 SP1 on a server running Windows 2008 R2 SP1, you don’t need to install these hotfixes separately.

Nino Bilic

1. Phil says:

How many of those strange prerequisite patches which Exchange 2010 SP1 required and had fun manually downloading and installing are included in Windows 2008 R2 SP1?

2. Great news, no waiting for SP2 :)

3. Turbomcp says:

afaik no patches needed except filter pack for cas/mbx

4. Exchange says:

@Phil and Turbomcp: You no longer need to manually download and install the OS and other hotfixes required for the Client Access server role if you are running that role Windows 2008 R2 SP1.  R2 SP1 includes all of the listed CAS hotfixes.  You will still need to download and install the filter pack for Hub Transport and Mailbox, and if you are running Unified Messaging, you will still need to download and install the UM pre-reqs.

5. Justin.G11 says:

Getting rid of all those individual code.msdn downloads alone is huge.  I can’t tell you how many clients have gotten worried looks in their eyes as I grab updates from development sites …. usually followed by me showing them the Exchange team blog post proving it’s OK.

6. Jim says:

Are there any direct benefits to Exchange in this SP?  The SP seems to be all about RemoteFX and Hyper-V

7. Manohar says:

Dear experts,

Is there any power script for determine the exchange 2010 tracking log an every one hrs. Continuously

Kindly help on this

8. shobz56827 says:

vvery impressive

9. Dale says:

I would like to know if Exchange Server 2010 no service packs can be installed successfully on a windows 2008r2 with no service packs. Thank you

10. Bharat Suneja [MSFT] says:

@Dale: Yes. Please see:
    Exchange 2010 System Requirements -> Operating System

11. Mad Dog says:

Is it possible to upgrade Windows 2008 R2 to Service Pack 1 if Exchange 2007 SP3 is already installed on the W2K8 R2 system?

12. Martin says:

@Mad Dog: Yes it is, I had no issues.

13. DAK says:

Is it possible to upgrade Wndows Server 2008 R2 to SP1 if Exchange 2010 RTM or SP1 is already installed on this system ? Tks.

14. RIZASAHAN says:

Hi,

I problem code;

——————————————————————————-

M1

Completed

Exchange Management Shell command completed:

Add-DatabaseAvailabilityGroupServer -MailboxServer ‘M1’ -Identity ‘DAGLAR’

Elapsed Time: 00:00:57

M2

Failed

Error:

A server-side database availability group administrative operation failed. Error: The operation failed. CreateCluster errors may result from incorrectly configured static addresses. Error: Windows Failover Clustering timed out while trying to validate server ‘M2’. If this is in a disjoint DNS namespace, the DNS suffixes for all servers in the database availability group must be present on every server. [Server: M1.deneme.com]

A server-side database availability group administrative operation failed. Error: Windows Failover Clustering timed out while trying to validate server ‘M2’. If this is in a disjoint DNS namespace, the DNS suffixes for all servers in the database availability group must be present on every server.

Click here for help… http://technet.microsoft.com/en-US/library/ms.exch.err.default(EXCHG.141).aspx?v=14.1.218.11&t=exchgf1&e=ms.exch.err.ExC9C315

Warning:

The operation wasn’t successful because an error was encountered. You may find more details in log file "C:ExchangeSetupLogsDagTasksdagtask_2011-02-04_13-16-35.640_add-databaseavailabiltygroupserver.log".

Exchange Management Shell command attempted:

Add-DatabaseAvailabilityGroupServer -MailboxServer ‘M2’ -Identity ‘DAGLAR’

Elapsed Time: 00:00:00

———————————————————————-

15. Tris says:

Thank you for the information, when will the requirement document be updated?

16. Neil says:

Does Windows 2008 R2 SP1 detect the already installed Excange 2010 SP1 hotfixes and remove them or is that something we need to perform manually?

Thanks!

-N

17. Exchange says:

Neil – Windows SP1 will not mess with Exchange hotfixes. I am assuming you ment "Windows 2008 R2 hotfixes that were required for Exchange 2010 SP1 installation" (which is a mouthful!!) – and in that case – the answer is yes, Windows 2008 R2 SP1 setup will take care of dealing with any Windows hotfixes installed previously on the machine, wether they were installed for Exchange or not.

18. Toni says:

Can I upgrade my Win2008R2 / Exchange 2010 SP1 DAG members to Server 2008 R2 SP1?

19. henrycrock54 says:

wow cool!

20. Alex says:

Hello,

is it supported to uninstall Service Pack 1 for Windows Server 2008 R2 running Exchange Server 2010 SP1? May there occur any problems? I am especially thinking on the patches, which have to be installed before installing Exchange Server 2010 on Windows Server 2008 R2. After my information they are included in Service Pack 1 for Windows Server 2008 R2, and I’m feared that these patches will be uninstalled, too.

Thanks.

21. Stephen says:

So, I currently have a Windows Server 2008 R2 running Exchange 2010 SP1. This has been running happily for 4 months. I can now go ahead and install SP1 for Windows Server 2008 R2 onto this running configuration. Correct? If so, should I stop all Exchange services before the upgrade? Many thanks

22. Gary S says:

is there an issue or requirement for any DC’s or GC’s running Windows 2008 R2 to be upgraded to SP1 BEFORE upgrading any Exchange 2010 servers to Windows SP1 ?

23. Meinolf W says:

Any news about update from the Exchange Server Supportability matrix (http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff728623.aspx) for the new Windows server 2008 R2 SP1 options as already asked by TRIS on 23.02.2011?

24. NoureenS says:

I see that the Exchange Supportability Matrix has been updated to state that Exchange 2007 SP3 is supported to run on Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1 – thank you. However, do we have confirmation that Exchange 2007 SP3 will also be able to communicate with GC/DCs running on Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1 – as the table for "Supported Active Directory Environments" doesn't list R2 SP1?

25. Bigs says:

I am running Exchange 2010 SP1 RU2, does it matter what rollup update you are running for Exchange 2010 SP1 to install SP1 for 2008 R2?

26. Bharat Suneja [MSFT] says:

@Bigs: No post-SP1 rollup requirements – as noted in post, RTM version of Exchange 2010 SP1 is the minimum requirement.

27. Bigs says:

Thanks Bharat – also, do I have to do all of my CAS/HUB and Mailbox nodes at the same time or can I do half of them 1 week and then the other half the following week in case any issues arise during the SP installation.

28. Ian says:

I'm doing a fresh install of Exchange 2010 SP1 onto a fresh install of Server 2008 R2 SP1.

I'm not able to install the Office 2010 Filter Packs.  When I run "FilterPack64bit.exe" I just get a message "The installation of this package failed".  I noticed under the Supported Operating Systems section on the download page 2008 R2 SP1 is not listed.

Does anyone know how I can get the filter packs installed?  I have tried Compatibility Mode, but that didn't work.  Extensive google-fu has not turned up any answers either.

29. Joe says:

@Ian – I was able to install the filter pack with no problems on fresh 2008 R2 sp1, the filterpack64bit.exe is version 14.0.4730.10.10

30. John says:

The question that is not clearly answered here, is it supported to install Windows 2008 R2 SP1 on an existinge Excbang 2010 SP1 server running on Eindows 2008 R2?

31. Ron Doron says:

It is also my question:

Is there an issue or requirement for any DC's or GC's running Windows 2008 R2 to be upgraded to SP1 BEFORE upgrading any Exchange 2010 servers to Windows SP1 ?

thanks in advance