Update Rollup 6 for Exchange Server 2007 SP1 to be released on February 10th 2009

This is a heads up that Update Rollup 6 for Exchange Server 2007 SP1 should be out on Tuesday February 10, 2009. As you can see the rollup release date coincides with the day Microsoft issues security patches. No points for guessing that this rollup contains a fix for a security issue. This patch has been assigned a severity rating of critical in Microsoft Security Bulletin Advance Notification for February 2009. As such customers should plan to apply this update rollup to ensure their Exchange Servers are protected.

In addition to the security issues, we have included a change which will allow Internet Explorer 8 to be used for Outlook Web Access 2007. However, this does not include the Outlook Web Access 2007 S/MIME control. We are still working on some changes in the control to make it work better with Internet Explorer 8. Look for an updated version of the S/MIME control in a future rollup.

-Ananth Ramanathan

1. LookingForSolutions says:

Given the issues that a number of people have experienced when installing previous roll-up updates, the security fix should be available seperately. But will it?

2. Johannes says:

Is SP2 for Exchange 2007 in sight?

3. Cameron Matson says:

From a person who is about to migrate 3500 users from Domino To a new exchange 2007 environment, I hope this update does not cause any major issues when installing. From what I’ve read in previous blog entries Update Rollout 5 caused a whole lot of issues.

One would hope that this update has had a whole lot more testing performed on it than whats its predecessor had.

4. Robert says:

Just wondering if the account with which the Exchange Server 2007 was originally installed is still needed? Or is an account with Exchange Organization Administrator rights is suffizient?

Thanks a lot for clarification.

5. mwa says:

Hi, is this Update Rollup just going to be security fixes? There are a heap of issues I am waiting for fixes for so Im hoping security is just one of the areas for improvement in this update.

6. mike says:

For those of us who have interim updates applied to fix a specific issue, will we be able to see a list of fixes in RU6 any time soon?

The process of obtaining an updated interim update for a new Update Rollup sucks.

7. Kurt Phillips (MSFT) says:

A bunch of answers:

Steve and LookingForSolutions – no, RU6 is the only delivery vehicle for the security fixes shipping tomorrow.  We do have a fix in process for the RU5 SCR issue but we didn’t rush to get it into RU6 because we did not hear a lot of outcry that this was a big problem.  In the future, please let us know at the forums at http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/exchangesoftwareupdate/threads/ because my team actively investigates and tracks issues that are reported to us there.  (We also listen to CSS and the reported cases there, but sometimes it takes longer to get through that pipeline).  We’re also working on a workaround that we’ll post here tomorrow.

Johannes – yes, but we can’t talk about any formal plans or dates until April-ish

Cameron – we have the same hopes. <g>  Honestly, my team did not get a lot of negative feedback from RU5.  I know about the SCR issue that Steve mentioned above, but aside from that, I’m not aware of any particular issues.

Robert – to install an Update Rollup, you need to have the same level of perms that you would need to install the Exchange software itself

mwa – This rollup is smaller than our typical one but does have a handful of fixes and CDCRs.  We wanted to minimize the number of non-security fixes because we all know that more churn means more risk.  We’re just trying to find the right balance, as pushing out fixes to later rollups means people wait longer for fixes that are important to them.

Mike – your CSS engineer that gave you the interim update can provide you offline with a list of fixes that will be in this rollup to help you determine whether or not your fix is there or you need a new interim update.  And I hear you on the process – we’re looking at ways to automate it.  Stay tuned.

8. vipin says:

I hope event ID 4999 IMAP errors are fixed, this is incredibly annoying

9. Ananth Ramanathan says:

Vipin,

Event ID 4999 is logged for all crashes which send a Watson report. Can you provide me with the information logged in the description of the event?

10. vipin says:

I get the following every few minutes when someone connects with imap, it only started happening after the last rollup

2/10/2009  08:07:49

Computer: [10.1.10.73]

Monitor: [Event Log Monitor] (Type=Event Log Monitor)

Description:

* Event Time: 2/10/2009 8:06:14 AM

* Source: MSExchange Common

Event Log: Application

* Type: Error Event

* Event ID: 4999

* 408, E12, c-RTL-AMD64, 08.01.0336.000, M.E.Imap4, M.E.D.Common, M.E.D.G.OutboundCodePageDetector.AddText, System.ArgumentNullException, 3e79, 08.01.0336.000, False

11. Ananth Ramanathan says:

Thanks Vipin. This issue is expected to be fixed in Update Rollup 7 for Exchange Server 2007 Service Pack 1. We will announce on this blog as we get close to shipping the rollup. Stay tuned.

12. RobK says:

Apparently there are issues when applying this patch to Exchange 2003 SP2. When you click on the link it takes to another site where it says click on yet another link. The final link still does not provide any info as to what the issues may be. can someone shed more light on this.

13. Ananth Ramanathan says:

This patch is not applicable to systems running Exchange Server 2003 Service Pack 2. Refer to the security bulletin released today at http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/MS09-003.mspx for a link to the patch which can be applied to Exchange Server 2003 Service Pack 2.

14. alexk3 says:

Some reason from WSUS, UR6 for ex2k7 sp1 is set as "not applicable" for CCR CMS??? but it is still needed for stand alone mailbox, CAS (NLB), HT, and PF servers.

so CCR mailbox servers are not affected by the security holes?

15. Ananth Ramanathan says:

AlexK,

Microsoft Update or WSUS do not detect update rollups for Exchange Server 2007 on clustered Exchange servers. The update rollup needs to be downloaded and installed. (Details in KB http://support.microsoft.com/kb/959241).

16. gmiga76 says:

I have Rollup update 5 installed on our new Exchange 2007 SP1,multi role server . Do I have to remove Rollup 5 in order to install Rollup 6 ?.

Update is available in Windows update . Is install smooth ?. It seems it does not require a restart but it will restart all services.

Any feedback on installing Rollup 6 is welcome ;) .

17. Jason says:

gmiga76, as I interpreted the installation guidelines for rollup 6, I uninstalled all previous rollups starting with 5 and working back to 1. Then I installed rollup 6.  I’ve encountered no problems (or reboots) with this procedure on two of our servers that have the CA and HT roles.

18. Dan_IT says:

Can you clarify what you mean by "Remove all interim updates for Exchange Server 2007 before you apply this update rollup." in http://support.microsoft.com/kb/959241.  Does this mean we have to remove the previous roll ups or just the hotfixes that were released in between the roll ups to address specific issues?

19. Kurt Phillips (MSFT) says:

You do not have to uninstall previous Update Rollups – they will install over each other just fine.  What you DO have to uninstall before installing any rollup is what we call an Interim Update.  This is a patch you would get from CSS for a server-down critical type of issue that you could not wait until the next rollup to get a fix for.  Very few people have (or need) these, but they are available for emergencies.

20. meguy says:

Anyone have the download link to rollup 6? i cannot find it on MS site..

I had to roll back to rollup5 becuase no one could use their calendars anymore and there were all these dcom errors, but i would like to download it manually and try it again as it is a security related fix.

21. Ming says:

Do not update to RU 6 yet. Services , OWA  are not working ..

22. Yanuar says:

Yes Dont update to RU 6. OWA failed with error

Event code: 3005

Event message: An unhandled exception has occurred.

Event time: 2/12/2009 7:58:03 AM

Event time (UTC): 2/12/2009 12:58:03 AM

Event ID: 1d6f1cee07ab4092a5e2cfe0e72a3a1d

Event sequence: 2

Event occurrence: 1

Event detail code: 0

Related to ASP.NET.

This is unacceptable, before RU 4 make error too.

23. imran says:

I deployed Rollup 6 for Exchange 2007 SP1 in my test lab and it breaks the system. Now no test users are able to send and receive emails. There is an error in even log every time when someone tries to send and receive.

Source: MSExchange Store Driver

Event ID : 1011 and 1012

The store driver encountered a poison message during message submission. The submission will be stopped for event 1469 on mailbox f6238ff5-abe3-4555-b1ec-8c8e93d85609 Mdb d274a90c-0495-4029-8b11-a4e068115bc5.

=============

The store driver failed to submit event 1469 mailbox f6238ff5-abe3-4555-b1ec-8c8e93d85609 MDB d274a90c-0495-4029-8b11-a4e068115bc5 and couldn’t generate an NDR due to exception System.TypeInitializationException: The type initializer for ‘Microsoft.Mapi.ExRpcPerf’ threw an exception. —> Microsoft.Mapi.MapiExceptionLowLevelInitializationFailure: MapiExceptionLowLevelInitializationFailure: ec=-2147467259 (0x80004005)

at Microsoft.Mapi.ExRpcModule.Bind()

at Microsoft.Mapi.ExRpcPerf..cctor()

— End of inner exception stack trace —

at Microsoft.Mapi.ExRpcPerf.ConnectionCacheBirth(Int32 maxConnections)

at Microsoft.Exchange.Data.Storage.ConnectionCachePool.GetConnectionCache(String server, ConnectFlag connectFlags)

at Microsoft.Exchange.Data.Storage.ConnectionCachePool.OpenMailbox(String serverDn, String userDn, String mailboxDn, Guid mailboxGuid, Guid mdbGuid, Object identity, ConnectFlag connectFlag, OpenStoreFlag openStoreFlag, CultureInfo cultureInfo, String clientInfoString, Boolean secondTry)

at Microsoft.Exchange.Data.Storage.ConnectionCachePool.OpenMailbox(String serverDn, String userDn, String mailboxDn, Guid mailboxGuid, Guid mdbGuid, Object identity, ConnectFlag connectFlag, OpenStoreFlag openStoreFlag, CultureInfo cultureInfo, String clientInfoString)

at Microsoft.Exchange.Data.Storage.MailboxSession.Initialize(LogonType logonType, ExchangePrincipal owner, DelegateLogonUser delegateUser, Object identity, OpenMailboxSessionFlags flags)

at Microsoft.Exchange.Data.Storage.MailboxSession.CreateMailboxSession(LogonType logonType, ExchangePrincipal owner, DelegateLogonUser delegateUser, Object identity, OpenMailboxSessionFlags flags, CultureInfo cultureInfo, String clientInfoString)

at Microsoft.Exchange.Data.Storage.MailboxSession.OpenAsTransport(ExchangePrincipal mailboxOwner)

at Microsoft.Exchange.MailboxTransport.StoreDriver.SubmissionItem.OpenStore()

at Microsoft.Exchange.MailboxTransport.StoreDriver.SubmissionItem.LoadFromStore()

at Microsoft.Exchange.MailboxTransport.StoreDriver.MailItemSubmitter.<SubmitNdrForPoisonMessage>b__5()

at Microsoft.Exchange.MailboxTransport.StoreDriver.StorageExceptionHandler.RunUnderExceptionHandler(IMessageConverter converter, StoreDriverDelegate workerFunction)

at Microsoft.Exchange.MailboxTransport.StoreDriver.MailItemSubmitter.SubmitNdrForPoisonMessage().

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

Its good that I have not deployed it in production.

Stupid rollup.

24. Garry Trinder says:

Hi there!

Tried RU6 on a HT-only server with the marvelous product called ForeFront installed on it today.

Not bad since it did’t destroy the box.

Not perfect though since it didn’t restart the services.

Even worse since it didn’t present any errors.

Interesting lines from the servicecontrol.log:

[07:34:56] 0: Service ‘FSEIMC’ failed to start. Check the event log for possible reasons for the service start failure.

[07:34:56] Unable to restore service ‘MSExchangeTransport’.

[07:34:56] Unable to restore all services for ‘Bridgehead’.

BTW – the eventlog is plain blue, no FSEIMC-related entries.

The last one was 7:30 – FSEIMC service stopped.

So "failed to start" is somehow true. To be more specific: The setup didn’t ask the service to start.

Regards,

Klaus

25. NewKidd says:

SBS 2008 – I just spent the last two hours uninstalling RU 6, re-enabling services,  restarting the services, starting IIS sites…and I just hope I got them all correct!

Should I re-install RU6 and re-enable the services as I did this time?

Any help is appreciated.

26. Erik says:

We have Forefront running on a CCR cluster. Has anyone else seen the issues identified by Klaus? We’re running on Sp1 rollup 3 in production and don’t have a test environment up yet. Apart from a relatively minor issue with OWA fixed in rollup 5, its been working fine. We were looking at updating all our boxes the week on 2/23, but would rather not roll the dice if issues are prevalent.

27. Jeff25 says:

NewKidd, How did you uninstall the roll up?

28. Garry Trinder says:

BTW – we’re running FF10SP1RU3 with the Proxy, MemoryLeak and a BuddyFix for custom notification messages.

Without fix for the currently non-working domains.dat (still waiting for it)…

Regards,

Klaus

@Erik: Apart from the stopped services, there wasn’t a problem.

29. return2sender says:

After installing Exchange 2007 Rollup 6 on our Exchange server last night, now all users that logged in this morning get prompted to re-authenticate when launching Outlook or trying to use OWA.  I suspect that it changed IIS permissions, but I can’t remember what they were before the update.  I uninstalled the Rollup, but they continue to get prompted when they launch Outlook.  I am running Exchange 2007 on a Windows 2003 64-bit server.  I checked event viewer and one of the events is:

Event Type: Error

Event Source: MSExchange ADAccess

Event Category: General

Event ID: 2501

Date:  2/12/2009

Time:  9:28:10 AM

User:  N/A

Computer: STLEXCH01

Description:

Process MSEXCHANGEADTOPOLOGY (PID=1768). The site monitor API was unable to verify the site name for this Exchange computer – Call=DsctxGetContext Error code=8007077f. Make sure that Exchange server is correctly registered on the DNS server.

I checked DNS and there IS a valid MX record in there for our exchange server.

Any suggestion?

30. Barney says:

Regarding the Forefront and CCR issue – I had this issue also on my CCR servers…   I had an Exchange Engineer and Forefront Engineer on at the same time…

Whereas – the exchange team wants you to do the passive node first for the install, then move the server to the patched node, then patch the active, now passive, node.

Forefront wants you to patch the Active node first, then finish patching the Passive node.

31. turnerl says:

Guys, we have a CCR deployment installed on our gateways first then the passive nodes, all went perfectly fine (did need to restart the servers for OWA to work) could probably have just restarted IIS but rebooted for good measure, So ALL GOOD HERE!

32. Jason says:

return2sender, is the Microsoft Exchange Active Directory Topology Service running on your Exchange server(s)?  After rollup 6 install on our CA/HT machine, that service, and many other Exchange-related services, were set to disabled and not running. I had to manually set them to Automatic and start them.

33. Vince says:

This seemed like a fairly straight forward update but did ask me to reboot the server. After rebooting everything restarted properly and connections are fine. I’ve had bad updates to Exchange 2007 and the reboot was a bit scarey.

34. NewKidd says:

Jeff – Sorry for the delay…it took forever to unistall, but from the DC, Control Panel, Programs and Features, link in upper left, View Installed Updates, highlight the update and select Uninstall.  It looked like it stalled or locked up, but it just took a loooong time.  Uninstall required reboot and that’s when I reset all the still-disabled services.  The install didn’t require reboot, how’s that for strange!?  Jason apparently had the same issue I did.

I guess I will reinstall it and then reset the disabled services, IIS, etc. again.  We use a third-party java vpn and I can still RDP and reset services remotely in the wee hours.

35. Jalovdh says:

I am experiencing some problems with the out of office assistant since I did the update. It still works in the owa but is not available for use using outlook 2007.

36. xbyt says:

I’m seeing a lot of issues here and i’m wondering if installing the UR6 is a good idea. I’ve a single copy cluster DB Server and two CS/HT server and I’ve installed on all the servers except the Active Node, on one of the CS/HT the Forefront services won’t start. Any advice?

37. Steve Long says:

I read about all of the problems installing rollup 5 so I decieded to wait for rollup 6 but rollup 6 looks like it can also shut email down for hours……..

Is there a way that I can’t test/check my deployment before I start the rollup?

I have three servers running Exchange 2007 a Edge SMTP with Forefront a CAS and a Mailbox/Hub also running Forefront.

38. Nimish says:

Rollup patch 6 take over one hour. It take over hour on "creating native images for .NET assembiles"

39. PixelPusher says:

Do Not install this patch.  We tried it on our CAS server.  OWA would not start.  Tried to roll back… OWA would not start.  After 4 hours on the phone with Microsofts’s "Premier" support.  Their advice… rebuild the server and let us open a ticket for you.  The security patch did more harm than any virus we encountered… over 8 hours later, we are finally back to where we started… minus a lot of sleep….. thanks

40. CSA says:

Hello All,

I’ve updated recently my Exchange server 2007 by using WSUS and from this time I get loggued the following errors and some IMAP users are experiencing troubles to access to their mailboxe :

Event ID 4999

Le rapport Watson est prêt à être envoyé vers dw20.exe pour l’ID de processus : 5152, avec les paramètres : E12, c-RTL-AMD64, 08.01.0340.000, M.E.Imap4, unknown, unknown, System.NullReferenceException, 0, unknown. ErrorReportingEnabled : True

Event ID 5000

How should I do to fix this trouble and how to know which patches has been applied ?

Regards,

CSA

41. plcalderaz says:

Our server auto updated itself to rollup 6. So far we have only had one OWA user that got the message "service unavailable". A browser restart on that machine fixed that problem. We seem to be doing pretty good so far then compared to others..

42. John Rogers says:

We are starting to see the 4999 issues too with the imap service constantly restarting. We plan to open a case with Microsoft Today.

43. Crofox says:

I too am seeing the 4999 IMAP restart on my server. It’s pretty frustrating for my handful of IMAP users, and I’m not too pleased w/ this update. In addition to the 4999 issues, I’m getting the MSExchange ADAccess errors. EventID’s 2601, 2604, 2501.

44. Paul H says:

Hello Guys. I was very dubious about installing this Rollup 6.

Anyway some feedback for you.

I have a standalone Exchange 2007 Server with ForeFront.

Windows server 2008 64 bit OS.

Update took about 2.5 minutes to install

All services Restarted automatic after Machine re-boot.

I was able to log into OWA without issue. "Seemed faster"

No problems logging in using Outlook 2007 client.

So far so good "Fingers Crossed"

Thanks Paul.

45. Phil Perry says:

The RU6 installation took a very long time. Even longer when you consider I am now removing it due to various Exchange svcs now unable to start.

We are offline and I am kinda cranky.

Why, oh why, do I have it set for automatic updates???

Win2003/Exchange2007sp2/TrendMicro WFB5 5.1 bld 1142

46. Ken says:

Any reason why it takes an hour to Create native images for .net assemblies?   This is not efficient to have exchange services down for an hour

47. Fahad says:

Ken.. The reason why it takes longer to "Create native images for .net assemblies" is mentioned below and in the link

During this phase of the installation, the rollup invokes the Native Image Generator (Ngen.exe) tool. This tool completes a precompilation, or "pre-JITing," of the managed code that is updated on the system to help improve performance. This step can take a long time, and it depends on the following conditions:

The speed of the processors and the hard disk drives that are used by the computer.

The Internet connection and the access speed to the Certificate Revocation List Web site.

The Ngen.exe tool uses this Web site to verify that the publisher’s certificate has not been revoked.

It took surprisingly as long as 14 hours to install update rollup 6 on our mailbox server role with the below configuration

4 GB RAM, Intel Xeon 3GHz, Windows 2003

48. Vince K. says:

I haven’t had any major issues with RU4, RU5, or RU6.  I do hate having to redo the OWA customizations every time. (logon.aspx, logoff.aspx, startpage.aspx, basicmessageview.aspx, basicreadmessage.aspx, and basicautosaveinfo.aspx – most people probably don’t have this many customizations)

The "Create native images for .net assemblies" hasn’t taken too long for me.  Going from RU5 to RU6 (not sure if that makes a difference as opposed to going from SP1 RTM or an earlier RU) I think it took less than 4 minutes per server.  I seem to remember one of the previous rollups may have taken 10-15 minutes at that step.

Our Exchange servers:  Quad Core Xeon 3GHz (2 processors), 16GB RAM, 10K directly attached SAS storage, Windows Server 2008, Groupshield 7.0.1 (with HF447121).  4 servers: 2 client access/hub transport and 2 mailbox/hub transport.  About 1400 total mailboxes.

No new persistent errors as of the morning after applying RU6.

We have finally been stable as of Exchange 2007 SP1 RU5 along with Groupshield 7.0.1 with HF447121. Before that combination things were not going well. (I think mainly due to Mcafee Groupshield 7.0 running with Exchange Server 2007 SP1 and most importantly, Windows Server 2008 – but Mcafee finally got on the ball and fixed the issues with server 2008)

I hope your rollups go as smoothly as mine.

49. Waseem says:

I have UP4 but have same error any one has Idea UP6.0 fix it

Source: MSExchange Store Driver

Event ID : 1011 and 1012

Thanks,

50. Ken says:

Thanks Fahad.  We have dual Quad core processors with at least 4 GB of RAM on Hubs and CAS,  Cluster is dual Quad-core with 16GB of RAM.

The problem I see is, we block servers access to the Internet via port 80 or 443

51. Vince K. says:

By the way, be sure to reboot after the RU is installed.  Our mailbox servers prompted that it needed the reboot, but our client access servers did not prompt for a reboot.  However, OWA was not accessible until after the client access server was rebooted.  In other words, services did not all come back correctly when the update was done installing, but came back up fine after a reboot.

52. Dan_IT says:

Hmmm… My OWA seems to be working fine, however users can’t receive any inbound emails.  Emails between Exchange users work fine, and outbound emails work fine.  Troubling…

53. Tom B says:

Hi i have been informed my Microsft partner supoport That rollup 7  for exchnage 2007 is going to fix the named replica issue (finally!) 2 questions one is there a release date in mind for that yet? (i know 6 just came out)

2. Is there currently a hotfix available for the replica issue? or do we have to wait for 7 if so that brings me back tio question 1

54. iamme says:

Have been seeing so many of the patches lately in Exchange cause so many issues.

55. mtalcott says:

Is there a pre-rollup 7 hotfix for the VSS issue referenced in:

http://blogs.technet.com/timmcmic/archive/2008/12/21/windows-2008-exchange-2007-sp1-ese-522-errors-on-ccr-passive-or-scr-target-machine.aspx ? If not, when is Rollup 7 scheduled, and has anyone out there come up with a workaround?

56. carl says:

And *still* nothing by way of a backup plugin for Windows 2008/Exchange 2007. How can this take seven months to make when it’s already been out for a year in SBS?

57. mtalcott says:

Sorry for making identical comment as Tom B.

We are seeing this as an issue, VSS does complete, but fails to trim logs, Replication is sometimes successful, but is often tied up so no response, or gives responses of Intializing, Failed, Service Down, and maybe even Healthy, all within minutes of each other on the same Storage Group. All calls for Status, other items generate the 522 error.

Can’t fail over that way

58. blane says:

Is there any specific ordering required for patching?  ie CAS first, HT, then MBX? Also a suggested patching order for a CCR cluster

I’ve got 3 boxes running CAS & HT and two MBX servers in a CCR cluster

59. mtalcott says:

I would patch in install order: CHM. I doubt it makes much difference as far as which roles are patched first; it only mattered during the AD install, but still, just to be anal.  What *does* make a difference is that you patch the passive CCR node (reboot if needed), <I>fail over</I>, then patch the other, newly passive CCR node. Fail over using the Exchange Management Shell, not the FO Cluster console.

60. General_Zod says:

Does anyone in there know when Exchange 2007 SP2 will be available ?

Really waiting for this, I would prefer to wait and have Exchange 2007 SP2 running on Windows server 2008 sp2

I suspect a lot of people are.

61. reto says:

We had the same problem – we were stuck on "Create native images for .net assemblies".

Our workaround: We downloaded the CRL file (from http://crl.microsoft.com/pki/crl/products/CodeSigPCA.crl) and placed onto a local web server, emulating the whoe path.

After we pointed a hosts entry on the affected systems for crl.microsoft.com to our local server’s IP, the update went well.

Hope this "cheat" might help someone reducing their downtime.

62. SS says:

I found the problem to be caused by the Exchange server not being able to talk out to the internet to get access to .crl files

Once the firewall access was allowed, the update completed in 10 minutes!

63. Lain says:

@ return2sender:

Given your post is about a month old, I’m hoping you’ve resolved your issue. That said, based on the information you’ve posted – and if you haven’t resolved the issue, it might pay for you to check your Active Directory Sites and Services configuration, as it sounds more like your Exchange server is having trouble determining it’s site membership (which has nothing to do with MX records).

The quickest way of validating this is to run the following command from your Exchange server: gpresult.

If the line that lists the Site Name doesn’t list a valid entry (typical values indicating a problem are either "N/A" or just blank space) then your real issue lies with your subnet to site associations.

A quick checklist would be:

1) Use NSLOOKUP to verify you can resolve the Exchange server’s full DNS name;

2) Run the GPRESULT command to verify the site name;

3) If the site name is valid, then you can stop here as this isn’t your issue;

4) Start Sites and Services (dssite.msc);

5) Expand the Subnets node and verify a subnet exists that encompasses your server’s IP address;

6) Verify the subnet is associated with a valid site (I’m not sure how Exchange reacts if the site is either Default-First-Site [2003 domain controller] or blank [2008 domain controller] since we’re not running Exchange 2007 yet).

Lastly, if you find that the site listed in the gpresult output isn’t a valid production site, but the definitions in the Sites and Services MMC are valid, try restarting the NETLOGON service. For Server 2003, this prompts the server to reevaluate its site membership (I can’t remember if this holds true for Server 2008). You could also try a "gpupdate /force" command, but from memory, this doesn’t trigger a site reevaluation.

Cheers,

Lain

64. Mat says:

After applying RU6 and then uninstalling it breaks OWA . Any ideas ?

Client Information
    ——————
    User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.2; SV1; .NET CLR 1.1.4322; .NET CLR 2.0.50727; MS-RTC EA 2)

CPU Class: x86
    Platform: Win32
    System Language: en-us
    User Language: en-us
    CookieEnabled: true
    Mime Types:

Exception Details
    —————–
    Date: Mon Mar 23 17:49:02 EDT 2009
    Message: ‘onChgDPSch’ is undefined
    Url:
    Line: 43

65. Mat says:

Sorry …. The above error is when you hit the "scheduling assistant" page of a meeting request in OWA in premium mode. No issues in OWA Light.

66. Garry Trinder says:

@reto: We simply created a zone called crl.microsoft.com that returns 127.0.0.1 to all queries. Helps not only with Exchange but also with SharePoint-, Navision- and other CRL-Phone-Home-Patches.

Hosting the crl internally means that you have to keep it current…

Klaus