Ricardo Rosales Guerrero’s Bio

I joined Microsoft on February 2006  as a tester on the Exchange's Migration team.   I work primarily on scenarios that require moving / exporting / importing / restoring mailboxes across different organizations or across multiple servers within the same organization.  I'd love to hear from you, please don’t hesitate to contact me shall you have a question on migration.

1. gazzoni says:

Ricardo.

Yes, I do have questons.

What do you think about my comments at end of "Exchange Server 2007 High Availability Storage Considerations " post

when I told about the dificult tasks to restore clustered mailboxes

to a standalone server ?

Thanks.

Gazzoni

2. Ricardo Rosales Guerrero says:

Hi Gazzoni,

Unfortunately I don’t have the experience required on E2K (which I think is what you’re running) to comment on your scenario.  However I can certainly tell you about the E2K7 story.

In E2K7 if you find yourself in the position where you have lost all of your cluster nodes it’d be really easy to move your mailboxes to a standalone server and have them up and running in a decent amount of time.  Here’s a quick description of the steps you’d have to follow:

1) Inform AD that your mailboxes will live in a different server.  Note the use of the ConfigurationOnly switch which only modifies AD attributes and does not copy mailbox content over to the new server(since there’s nothing to recover because the cluster is down in the first place)

Move-Mailbox -Identity <mailboxID> -TargetDatabase <standAloneServerdatabaseName> -ConfigurationOnly:$true

2) Restore the cluster database backup to a Recovery Storage Group in a standalone server (does not necessarily has to be to the same server where the mailbox was migrated to)

3) Restore the mailbox content from the backup to the online database

Restore-Mailbox -Identity <mailboxId> -RSGDatabase <RSGdatabaseName>

At this point the mailbox has been fully moved to the standalone server and it can be used normally.  Plase let me know if this information somehow clarifies your concerns.

/Ricardo

3. gazzoni says:

Great Ricardo!

Then now I think that what you wrote is what I need!

The "ConfigurationOnly" switch appears to do all the jobs made

by Mbxconn/Reconnect tasks, and do it BEFORE the restore.

I will reproduce this scneario soon and take this notes in disaster recovery plan.Thanks to E2K7.

And thanks to you!

Gazzoni

One of the most specialised tools that I regularly use and absolutely love is the Microsoft Exchange

5. Briam says:

Hey Ricardo,

I saw your posts on the Export/Import E2k7 SP1 thread and wanted to ask you a quick question.  So you state that it should work work the mailbox server RTM (that rules out what I thought my problem was)…

So what permissions is required by the account trying to ExportToPST… and does this account need to have a mailbox on E2k7?

If you can point me in the right direction that would be most appreciated.  Thanks.

6. Ricardo Rosales Guerrero says:

Hi Briam,

I answered your questions in the blog post so that others who might have the same doubts can read it.

7. Briam says:

Thanks Ricardo.  Exactly what I needed to know.  It pointed me in the right direction and it is working great!.

8. robnolley says:

Ricardo:

I was able to import PST files into Exchange RTM by using the SP1 managment tools on another server.  I used the import-mailbox cmdlet and it did import the mailbox.  The only thing it did not import were the user-created folders from Outlook.  Can you shed any light on what I may have missed?

Thanks!