Exchange 12 Beta 1 Community Technology Preview

When we released Beta 1, we promised the release would be available to MSDN and TechNet subscribers early this year. Well, that time has come. Beta 1 is now being distributed via CD shipping to TechNet subscribers; MSDN subscribers will be able to download the CTP in March.

This CTP includes both the full 64-bit version, and the 32-bit version for feature evaluation, training, and demonstrations.

We chose to release this early build to only the TechNet and MSDN community (of 200,000) due to their long standing relationship with Microsoft and their commitment to providing valuable product feedback. We intend to make Beta 2 publicly available.

We are targeting mid-2006 for Beta 2, and remain on track to finish in the end of 2006 or early 2007. As always final timing will be driven by quality.

Thank you for all of your feedback and support to date. We look forward to that much more with this CTP release.

Terry Myerson

1. Michael Edward Kohlman says:

So, any place to get setup and admin documentation to whet our whistles with while waiting for the MSDN download?  I’d love to start reading up on the nuts and bolts of this so I’ll be better prepared to start playing.

Second question.  How mature will the CTP be in comparision to what the "dog food" group is currently using in-house?

Last, will the CTP run on any of the Longhorn Server builds?

MEK

2. kclemson says:

Michael:

#1: Not to my knowledge, but I’ll ask around.

#2: We are dogfooding later builds than the CTP. The CTP fork happened in november/december and we’re currently dogfooding a fork from february.

#3: No, the CTP will not run on Longhorn. Please stick to win2k3 sp1.

– KC Lemson

It is from a November/December build and apparently MS is currently running on a Feb. build. There won’t be an upgrade path from this CTP to Final so don’t plan on it.  It only installs on Win2k3 as far as I can tell. It won’t work under Longhorn yet.

Beta 1 of Exchange 12 was released last December, but now Microsoft has decided to broaden the audience according to the Exchange GM, Terry Myerson at the Microsoft Exchange Team Blog

5. Jonathan Miller says:

Terry,

I’m looking for a little direction on this new CTP. Basically, I just downloaded it through my MSDN subscription. I completely understand that it is BETA1 and not a finished product. However, I’ve had several odd problems after installing it in VMWare w/Windows 2003 SP1 x86.

1. The unified messaging piece fails to install.

2. After installing and restarting, the main System Managmenet snap-in will not open. It gives me an error saying that I don’t have rights. I was able to work around this by simply opening a blank MMC session and adding the snap-in into it.

3. Outlook WebAccess does not work. After typing in my username and password I get an ASP.net (that is after I modified the web.config) to show the error. Basically the error says it find the ‘Microsoft.Exchange.ClientAccess.OWA.something.something.dll’ (I can’t remember the whole name’. However, a dll similar to this one seems to be in the ‘bin’ folder of the owa website.

Anyway, is there any help out there to get this thing going? Is there anyway to get into the beta program? I’m working on a .NET 2.0 Line-of-business application that I like to integrate with outlook’s calendar via the new webservice APIs. Anyway thanks again for a great product. From what I’ve seen E12 is going to rock!

webmaster at accs.net

6. Mark Vonk says:

I have did the same as Jonathan and installed it on VMWare running w2k3 SP1.

First time the installation of the mailbox task installation did not finish due to a DCOM error. The second time it did finish, however it could not create a logfile for the mailbox store (which I could fix manually).

Now, the only problem (and questions) I am having is thisL I am trying to send mail via OWA. When I click the send button however, it tells me I have unsufficient permissions to send. I have searched the System Administrator but I can’t find any available permissions setting.

Could you tell me how to solve this and how permissions can be managed.

7. Brian Spooner says:

re: Testing scenarios

Is everyone installing a separate DC or trying to put them on the same VM?

8. Jonathan Miller says:

I created a new DC and a new forest on the same VMware machine.

9. vivek says:

Re: Permission to send through OWA

I believe this is a known issue, do you mind trying creating a regular test account that is not an Admin and trying to get/recieve mail through OWA? Also, is Outlook working and is it just OWA?

Re: System Manager not working

Are you using the shortcut from start->programs to open ESM? It may be possible that the shortcut was not properly configured. One simple technique to try out is by navigating to exchange serverbin and directly clicking on the Exchange MSC file.

In general there seems to be some timeout issues happening during installation in the VM environment that is causing some items not to complete succesfully (mailbox database creation for example). One way to tell what is going on is by looking at Exchange ServerLoggingSetupLogs and looking at setup.log.

10. Lukas says:

I ran into a problem installing the BridgeHead Role.

Bridgehead Role                 ……………………. 100%

The specified language is not supported for DSN creation.

……………………. FAILED

The specified language is not supported for DSN creation.

This is on Windows 2003 Standard R2 (English). The machine is also a DC (running in VirtualServer 2005 R2).

11. vivek says:

Re: Bridgehead role problem

In Beta 1, only English and Japanese locales are supported, if you set your regional settings to English, it should work fine.

12. jeffrey_kuckelman says:

I have some questions about the migration path to Unified Messaging.  We currently use Avaya’s Modular Messaging product that uses Micosoft Exchange 2003 as the message store.  I am curious if anyone knows will Microsoft’s Unified Messaging be a solution to completely replace the Avaya product? I am really impressed with the functionality presented in the whitepapers for Exchange 12.   Will Exchange 12 support an IP enabled PBX?

Thanks

Jeffrey

13. jeffrey_kuckelman says:

Oops forgot the last part of my question.

Will Exchange 12 support an AVAYA IP enabled PBX.

We currently have an Intel Dialogic 8 port card to interface between the PBX and exchange for the Modular Messaging system.  Exchange 12’s system looks much better and I am very interested in migrating to it instead of Avaya’s messaging platform.

Thanks again!

Jeffrey

14. Craig says:

Very Nice.  Should keep the Shell in the final release.  Get rid of the UI… ;)

Getting a strange error with OWA

"There was an unknown error accessing the directory. If the problem continues, contact technical support for your organization."

Thats comes up after the Language and TZ page.  However the URL is pointing to the LanuageSelection.aspx when the error displays.

Any Ideas ?

15. vivek says:

Craig,

The account you are logging on with may be an Admin (Enterprise or Domain Admin) account. Try creating a regular test user and logging on as that user. The reason this may be happening is that Exchange at first logon writes the client locale to the directory… but if you are an EA or DA, Exchange does not have permission to write to that user’s object in the AD (as EA and DA are high privliged accounts). This is a "secure by default" change in E12.

And yes we’re definately keeping the shell. :)

16. Craig says:

Sweet. All works now. Thanks Vivek…

You guys have done a great job !

I love it already….. :)

17. Craig says:

Only getting Basic mode OWA though.

Is that right ?

18. Mark Vonk says:

I have rebuild my testlab this weekend. A seperate DC, seperate Exchange and a seperate Workstation running on Virtual Server 05. Did not run into any problems now, installing Exchange.

Using OWA for the administrator account definitely does not work. For other, not admin, accounts it works sweet.

Still one question remaining: where to apply permissions? Or is this not implemented in this Beta?

19. Dan Sheehan says:

Is it too late to make a feature request?

I know it probably is, but I figured I would throw it out there anyway since I routinely am asked this question by customers as an Exchange consultant.

Is there any way to configure individual DLs to not deliver email to users when they have their Out Of Office set?

In theory it would be just another true/false attribute of an email enabled group, and something the message catagorizer would look at when it was expanding messages.

Nested DLs would not be a problem, because the expansion process could decide that if any DL along the path of expansion was set to require delivery (the default setting) when a person is Out Of Office, then the message would be delivered.

So many customers have many DLs that they would like to give their users the option of not receiving email when they go on vacation or whatever. Today removing ones self from email groups either requires some custom third party solution (with user intervention requesting that they be temproarily removed), or an admin making the changes manually.

In theory this option could be set per DL (with the default being set to always deliver) and give list owners the ability to make their lists mandatory or not.

Just a feature I have had asked of me over and over again.

20. Matthias Jung says:

I have installed W2003 SP1 x64 on real Hardware. Then i have installed the .net framework 2.0 and mmc 3.0. But i can’t install E12. The setup says that there is no mmc 3.0 installed….. :-(

21. Steve Ens says:

I’ve got another error here…I get through the .NET and the MMC, but then I error 1063 when I start to run the actual Exchange setup.  THis is on an older Netserver LC3…I can’t find the solution through google.

22. Steve Ens says:

I think i figured out my problem, one of the dll files has a spelling mistake in the name…bug found!!!

23. Craig says:

How do I get Premium OWA to work.  I get basic in both IE7B2 and IE6.01.  Basic mode not selected.

24. Francois van Hemert says:

Hi,

spent two days installing and testing the E12 ctp. My setup:

– Virtual server R2

– 1 W2K3 DC for single forest / single domain

– 1 W2K3 member server for Mailbox E12

– 1 W2K3 member server for Client Access E12

– 1 WinXP + Outlook 2003 for client.

My results:

– Messages sent trough outlook remain in the outbox en do not arrive at the destination

– Messages sent trough OWA end un in the DRAFTS folder ???

I am using a standard (non-admin account) all servicepacks, updates en hotfixes installed except W2K3 R2.

No error messages in the eventlog whatsoever.

Anybody seen this before?

Francois

25. Mark Vonk says:

To Francois:

I have had my issues with this too. After exploring the GUI I found out, that after installation you will manually have to create (via the monad shell) the following:

1. Sendconnector

2. Receiveconnector and apply

and in my case (.local domain) I needed to create a addressrewriteentry to rewrite it to a existing toplevel domain (.nl instead of .local)

Be sure to restart the Microsoft Exchange Transport Service after you configured something on this issue.

For the specific commands refer to the exchhelp.chm.

26. RobK_ says:

Hello

Just finished installing Exchange12. Trying to log to OWA. I get access denied when using non-admin account, but when using admin account i get There was an unknown error accessing the directory. Same error as Craig’s. Outlook 2003 seems to work fine.

Help help

27. james says:

I read that external mail is not capable with the gateway role yet. What about the bridgehead? I am unable to send external mail and for the life of me cannot find SMTP anywhere and installing the individual component from 2003 r2 loads a failed IIS object.

Great job with the OWA portion by the way, it seems MUCH faster or maybe that’s just the x64 OS lol. Either way, I love it

28. Francois van Hemert says:

To: Mark.

Thx. for your suggestion, I checked and found both the receive and send connector where not installed. My coll. has a similiar setup but has also installed the Bridgehead role (does not work for me, the setup exists with a time-out error). His setup is working.

I have tried to install the connectors but I am totally lost on all required parameters. Also the attempt to list the parameters of the working setup did not help me.

Is it possible to paste the required commands in an answer to this post? It would make life a lot easier.

Thanks in advance,

Francois

29. Lee Derbyshire says:

I notice that in E12 OWA, you can no longer open another mailbox with http://servername/exchange/alias or http://servername/owa/alias (apparently, you can’t now GET anything under /Exchange without Translate:f ).  I’m sure that a lot of people will miss this.  Is this a permanent change, or is it just missing from the Beta, and likely to be added later?

30. hkim says:

I am an MSDN subscriber but I don’t see Exch12 CTP from my download page?

31. benn says:

so i’m having a problem installing this. I’m using VM Server 2005 R2. I made two guest servers.

1. a single domain controller on Win2k3 SP1

2. a member server to the above domain controller. logged in as a DA and EA, etc..

domain is called EXC12DOMAIN.local

It errors out when installing MSI Package ‘exchangeserver.msi’ with a status of processing. I am selecting all options to install with exception to the one that gets greyed out. .net 2.0 and mmc 3.0 installed just fine. I had to raid domain level to native which worked just fine too.

Here’s the error:

Installing product C:servereni386exchangeserver.msi failed. Fataled error during installation. Error code is 1603

Fatal error during installing.

Any suggestions?

32. makhan says:

What database type would be used in "E12"? Would be SQL or it will be same old?

Khan

33. Lee Derbyshire says:

makhan.  I see .edb’s, .log’s and .chk’s here, so I assume it’s ESE .  No .stf’s, though.

Lee.

Where have I been?  I have been so very bad at blog posting.  I like to think that I favor…

35. gernot3 says:

To any member of the MS Exchange development team!

I installed the CTP and I’m very satisfied with the improvement of the Web Access. But, the first thing one of my colleagues complained was the missing monthly view in the calendar. There is now only a weekly view and I did’nt find a way to switch to monthly view like in the current OWA from Exchange 2003. Please change this!

36. benn says:

I’m following on my post

i still can not get the install of Exchange 12 beta1 to go through. I even put together a separate box and it still won’t work. I get the same exact error.

This is how i set it up
    Server 2003, install SP1, do windows update, add IIS, install exchange 12 beta1 (fails)

Please help or point to me where i can get help.

I would really like to demo this beta!!

-Ben Nordlander

37. paul says:

Anyone know how to configure the Cisco Call Manager for Exchange 12 UM integration?

38. David Pokleka says:

I have spent 3 days now in installing E12 Beta 1 and still haven’t succeded.

I have a Windows 2003 server SP1 with following on the same machine.

– .Net framework 2.0,

– MMC 3.0,

– IIS,

– a completely new domain controler with a new domain that is the root of the forest,

– domain functional level set to win server 2003,

– a new DNS on the same machine (our IT guy that has set up several exchange 2003 servers

helped me with this tasks)

– administrator account that is in the schema admin, enterprise admin groups etc.

with all this things the install always hungs in the instalation pre-checks no matter

for which role I try to install.

The output is always the same:

Total: 2 objects. 1 succeeded, 1 failed.

Organization Prerequisites

Completed

Status: Completed.

Elapsed Time: 00:00:21

Mailbox Server Role Prerequisites

Failed

A critical error has been found during analysis: {0}

Cannot write to the Domain Container in the AD.

A critical error has been found during analysis: {0}

E12 Beta 1 servers must be installed into the root domain of the forest.

The same IT guy that helped me set up the domain controler and DNS cant make nothing of this errors,

and we spent several hours trying to make heads and tails of it.

Has anybody come to a similar situation and solved it?

Any help would be very appreciated.

39. Jeroen Reijling says:

I’ve installed E12 Beta 1 and indeed found the problem about the wrong DSN, changed my regional settings, finished that problem.

I’ve installed all four roles that can be installed on one server. (So NOT the gateway service). On a Windows 2003 R2 SP1 box with a separate DC.

I got used to the Exchange 2003 ESM and I’m wondering where I can define the Recipient Update Policie to give emailadresses to people.

Did anyone find it already ?

40. Jeroen Reijling says:

When I’m trying to start Microsoft Exchange Transport Service and I’m getting an error and it doesn’t start…

In the eventviewer I get the following errors:

Event Type: Error

Event Source: Microsoft Exchange Server

Event Category: None

Event ID: 5000

Date: 3/15/2006

Time: 3:22:30 PM

User: N/A

Computer: GATEWAY

Description:

EventType exchange12, P1 edgetransport.exe, P2 8.0.0462.19, P3 microsoft.exchange.data.directory.dll, P4 microsoft.exchange.data.directory.adsession.objectsfromentries, P5 8.0.0462.19, P6 objectsfromentries, P7 microsoft.exchange.data.invaliddataexception, P8 16c1, P9 rtl-x86, P10 NIL.

It looks like some kind of network problem (rtl-x86). I’ve tried to set the Outbound connector to one specified IP.

There are two NIC’s installed in the VMWare server.

Does anybody know how to solve this?

41. Shawn Winters says:

I’ve been trying to install Exchange 12 from MSDN for 2 days now.  I can’t seem to get past the error "Exchange Server ’12’ requires Microsoft Management Console 3.0."  3.0 was installed per http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=907265

I’ve verified mmc 3.0 is installed.  There’s also no previous version in the registry.  I’ve tried it on a Windows Server 2003 SP1 machien and a Windows Server 2003 R2 machine.  Same error message. This is a 32-bit test environment.  I don’t know if that matters.  My CEO is gung-ho to see this in action so I’ve got some pressure.  Any help would be appreciated.

42. Ed S says:

I too am having the MMC 3.0 error installing.

43. Nino Bilic says:

All of you that have issues with MMC 3.0 – hang in there, I am preparing a blog post on resolving this and I’ll post it to this site, probably tomorrow morning.

44. Shawn Winters says:

I’ll look forward to it.  Thanks for the reply.

Does this issue happen on the 64-bit version?

45. PHILIPPE HENRY says:

Hello, guys i have the same problem, i instal mmc 3 it’s ok but when i would like to launch the setup, installer says that mmc3 was not installed ???

46. hey2 says:

For thos having the E12 install problem with MMC3 RTM:

create the following empty registry key

"HKLMSoftwareMicrosoftWindowsCurrentVersionUninstallMMC30Core"

and then try it

47. Shawn Winters says:

Worked for me!  Thanks.

As mentioned before – we now have CTP build of Exchange 12 those of you that have MSDN and TechNet subscriptions…

49. Will the Exch 12 support also 3COM’s NBX or Cisco’s Call Manager, are there any plans to integrate MS exchange with the unified messaging systems (VoIP)?

50. mike says:

Hi, I know this is probably way too late for E12 but it would be so useful I thought I’d just beg, maybe in a service pack?

Basically the GAL already contains (or can contain) information on each user such as name, phone number, job title, fax, mobile etc etc, so why not set up a central template for a signature that can contain logos etc and pulls this information for the user from the GAL, this could be forced applied on all users.  It would then be so simple and quick to standardise all signatures accross an organisation.

51. Shawn Winters says:

How do I fix this error on inbound SMTP connections?  I keep getting this:

530 5.7.1 Client was not authenticated

I tried this:

set-receiveconnector -Identity "From the Internet" -AnonymousAllowed:$true -RelayControl:Open

I’m aware that this may make it an open relay.  I can send fine to external recipients, but I want to test the SMTP from the internet.

Also, Exchange 12 disables the Simple Mail Transport Protocol from windows.  What exchange protocol takes over?

Thanks

52. Craig says:

Shawn,

The Edge Transport Service is responsible for SMTP traffic now :) (Think I’m correct)

And you dont need to open relay to allow inbound from anyone. You need to set an IP range for inbound eg for all inbound (0.0.0.0-255.255.255.255) Go through the Help file again it tells you how to do this. (Actually it might be the Readme file).. I have mine setup on the Internet.  No "Edge" server configured.  Backend straight out.  Works fine !

53. Chris Dalby says:

Hi

I’m installing E12 on a 32 bit system – and experienced the same problem with MMC 3.  This was fixed immediately by the registry workaround.

I’ll be blogging about E12 on my blog above and my blog at msexchange.org which is going live in the next couple of days.

54. ivan says:

I’m Installing E12 and I got the following error (mailbox server role):

55. Exchange says:

Ivan,

Do this – try reinstalling Windows 2003 SP1. Does that help? We are tracking this issue now and working on it.

56. PHILIPPE HENRY says:

Thanks Hey for this key HKLMSoftwareMicrosoftWindowsCurrentVersionUninstallMMC30Core

Now i can test this product ;) thanks a lot ;)

57. Scott Micale says:

I am getting this error when trying into install the mailbox server role and am not sure wht to do.

Performing Microsoft Exchange Server Prerequisite Checks

Organization Checks             ……………………. COMPLETED

Mailbox Role Checks             ……………………. COMPLETED

Installing Microsoft Exchange Server

Copying Exchange Files          ……………………. COMPLETED

Organization Preparation        ……………………. COMPLETED

Mailbox Role                    ……………………. 100%

The location of the log file is not available in the file system.

……………………. FAILED

The Exchange Server setup operation did not complete. Visit http://support.micro

soft.com and enter the Error ID to find more information.

C:Program FilesMicrosoftExchange Serverbin>

Any ideas?

58. Scott Micale says:

Performing Microsoft Exchange Server Prerequisite Checks

Organization Checks             ……………………. COMPLETED

Mailbox Role Checks             ……………………. COMPLETED

Installing Microsoft Exchange Server

Copying Exchange Files          ……………………. COMPLETED

Organization Preparation        ……………………. COMPLETED

Mailbox Role                    ……………………. 100%

The location of the log file is not available in the file system.

……………………. FAILED

soft.com and enter the Error ID to find more information.

C:Program FilesMicrosoftExchange Serverbin>

Any ideas?

59. Shawn Winters says:

I’ve pretty much got this running and it is very sweet.  I’m impressed with the Management Shell.

I’m trying to get the FQDN or masqueraded domain to appear when a user telnets to port 25.  Right not it’s displaying the server netbios name.  I want to put the FQDN in there.  I added AdvertisedDomain to the send and receive connectors with no luck.  Do I need to added or change a config file somewhere to get it to diplay the correct FQDN?

Thanks

Shawn

60. Ivanm says:

Regarding the setup issue "Error HRESULT E_FAIL", it’s not possible reapply SP1 on x64 systems (slipstreamed). (895556)

Any idea?

Regards,

Ivan

61. Ivanm says:

I just removed the E12 and try reinstall it and work it! No more errors like "An error occurred while performing operations on atom from exsetdata.dll: Error HRESULT E_FAIL …"

62. Craig says:

Anyone wanting to set the Default SMTP for clients just need to set the default using ADSI Edit.  Gets around the annoying default domain/Username setting. (Setting not available in beta1 Recipient policy)

Oh, it will default as the alias unless you specify a relation to an attribute field eg (firstname = %g)

Hope this helps some of you…

63. Craig says:

Sorry I meant Set as Default is not available….

:D

64. Craig says:

So how do I get an Admins MailBox to work for OWA ?

65. hey2 says:

i believe existing AD users don’t work in E12 beta1 OWA. In order to test out OWA, you need to create a AD user AFTER the install. Existing users will not work in beta1.

Seeing that the Exchange 12 CTP build has been available for some time now, we have learned that some…

67. Hyeong Kim says:

I successfully installed Mailbox role server (ex12be) and I tried to install a client server+Bridge head server but it failed

Total: 4 objects. 3 succeeded, 1 failed.

Copy Exchange Files

Completed

Status: Completed.

Elapsed Time: 00:00:43

Organization Preparation

Completed

Status: Completed.

Elapsed Time: 00:00:05

Bridgehead Server Role

Failed

The Exchange group with GUID "6c01d2a7-f083-4503-8132-789eeb127b84" was not found. This group gets created during setup, but it has been deleted.

Elapsed Time: 00:01:32

Client Access Server Role

Completed

Status: Completed.

Elapsed Time: 00:01:56

What is going on? It created a group and deleted it?

68. Hyeong Kim says:

The previouse problem is solved after I uninstalled exchange server and installed bridgehead server only and unstall exchange and installed bridgehead and client role together.

69. Hyeong Kim says:

OMG I just looked at the OWA and unter the option users are allowed to wipe out their own device!!.

BAD BAD IDEA.

How can I disable it?

70. Lee Hill says:

Will Exchange 12 be avaliable under Technet Labs ? Seems to be the perfect place for people to get used to the new technology in a safe enviroment..

Also MONAD looks like a great feature, will the Exchange team be releasing any books on MONAD within Exchange in the near future ?  I cant think of anyone better placed to write one

71. Dennis Redies says:

I am getting the following errors when trying to install E12 beta 1.  Any ideas on how to fix this problem?

Total: 2 objects. 1 succeeded, 1 failed.

Organization Prerequisites

Completed

Status: Completed.

Elapsed Time: 00:01:36

Mailbox Server Role Prerequisites

Failed

A critical error has been found during analysis: {0}

Cannot write to the Domain Container in the AD.

A critical error has been found during analysis: {0}

Cannot write to the Configuration Container in the AD.

A critical error has been found during analysis: {0}

Cannot write to the Organization Container in the AD.

Elapsed Time: 00:01:18

72. Mike Huxley says:

Hi

I am having trouble installing the CTF of Exchange 12.  I am trying it on a W2k3 R2 Server, it keeps saying I need to install MMC v3 even though I have and rebooted the box since.  Could it be cause I am trying to upgrade a 2003 Exchange server?

Also my mate has it installed but he can not find where to input the SMTP details.  In Exchange 2003 it was part of Internet Mail wizard..

Cheers

73. Nino says:

Mike,

For resolutuon of the MMC 3.0 issue, please see this:

Now, note here that the CTP build is not officially supported on R2.

Also – there is absolutely NO in-place upgrade path from Exchange 2003 to Exchange 12!

74. For BenN:

I resolved error 1603 by making sure My Documents was not redirected to a network drive. It worked OK when My Docs was being redirected to D:

Cheers,

Petar

75. Cade Fassett says:

Like several other people who posted in these comments, I was getting the following errors on install:

A critical error has been found during analysis: {0}

Cannot write to the Domain Container in the AD.

A critical error has been found during analysis: {0}

Cannot write to the Configuration Container in the AD.

A critical error has been found during analysis: {0}

Cannot write to the Organization Container in the AD.

After a couple hours of fiddling, I finally figured out the problem. I am running 2 VMware virtual machines, a DC, and the E12 server. However, the E12 server was set to point to the VMware gateway for its DNS, instead of to the DNS server running on the DC. I changed the primary DNS server to the IP address of the DC, then went to a command prompt and ran "ipconfig /registerdns" to create a record for my DC on the DNS server. Once I did that, the entire pre-check process completed in under 15 seconds, and installation went without a hitch.

76. lieven says:

I’m Installing E12 and I got the following error (mailbox server role):

An error of unknown type occurred while performing operations on an atom from exsetdata.dll; the original error code was 0xc103798a.  More details can be found in the setup log.

I tried re-installing Win2003SP1 but without any success. I also tried de-installing and re-installing E12, but also without any success.

My configuration: Vmware server with 6 virtual machines: 1 Domain controller (Win2003SP1)and 5 member servers (Win2003SP1) which will be used to install E12 (each machine will have 1 role)

77. Nino says:

Lieven,

Can you email me on ninob AT microsoft DOT com so we can look into this? We are failing to reproduce this problem, so I’d like to look into your environment. Thanks!

78. philippe HENRY says:

Hello all,

I’ve got this error message when i tried to install exchange 12: the exchange organisation is not in native mode !!! how can i change that in echange 12 ? (i have made the modification on my D.C before…..) Thanks ;)

79. elnino says:

I can’t install Exchange 12.

Can anyone help me?

Bridgehead Server Role

Failed

Time out has expired and the operation has not been completed.

Elapsed Time: 00:05:55

80. Chris says:

I get error 1619 for exchagneserver.msi when  installing a mailbox server role E12 on Windows 2003 enterprise 32 bit machine.

Win 2003 enterprise 32 bit (in a domain but not the domain controller)

Logged in as domain administrator

I tried to open this file directly, but get the same error.

Event logs:

application: Ms installer event id 11708 ‘installation failed’ message

system: nothing

security: nothing

monad: warning event 103 (2 consecutive events)

info event 400 (1 event)

info event 600 (8 consecutive events)

Monad event 103 has many messages like: The file "C:WindowsTempExchangeSetupDotNetTypes.format.mshxml" cannto be loaded. The execution of scripts is disabled on your system.  Please see "get-help about_signing" for more details.

I do not have the Feb 2006 CTP of the Windows SDK installed (web serarch led me to that install for the ‘get-help about_signing’ message).

The MS installer message text is:

Opening package PATHexchangeserver.msi" failed.  This package could not be opened.  Verify that the package exists and that you can access it, or contact the application vendor to verify that this is a valid Windows Installer package.  Error code is 1619.

81. Exchange says:

Chris,

We have one documented case of this problem, and it seemed to be something network related. Here is what I’d suggest:

– copy the binaries locally before running setup – does that make a difference?

– if not – please get Filemon tool from Sysinternals and run it as you are trying to setup; the error you get is ERROR_INSTALL_PACKAGE_OPEN_FAILED which – if binaries are OK, could be some sort of access problems too.

82. Exchange says:

By the way, Lieven’s problem ended up being resolved by installing CTP onto the server with US English locale. Originally, setup was failing as the locale was UK English. In CTP, only US English was supported.

83. Vic Hsu says:

OWA is not working on my machine. Everyone else got it to work so I must be doing something wrong. When I try to punch into OWA using the standard server/exchange it says either "Page Not Found" or "Unspecified Error" I have created a client access server and mailbox server, and also mailenabled users after installing E12.

Im going to try and reinstall later.

84. hey2 says:

Try adding a new user after the E12 install and see if that user OWA works. I know there is a problem with existing users before the install working with OWA.

85. mik_schreiber says:

I can’t install Exchange 12.

Can anyone help me? – elnino did you found a solution?

Bridgehead Server Role

Failed

Time out has expired and the operation has not been completed.

86. mike says:

I received the error below.

Mailbox Server role installation failed with error: An error occurred while performing operations on atom from exsetdata.dll: Error HRESULT E_FAIL has been returned from a call to a COM component. The original error code was 0x80004005. More details can be found in the setup log.

Removing and reinstalling E12 fixed it. This was on a test AD environment on Windows Server 2003 R2 Enterprise Editon 32-bit.

87. UpQuark says:

Greetings _  I am excited to get up and running on Exch 2007.  Seems pretty interesting and quite different from Exch 5.5 and more mature than Exch 2003.

During the install process –  I am reciving a network error.  "Cannot find network location."

88. UpQuark says:

89. UpQuark says:

I found my issue…

As a matter of course and security – I disable MS File/Print Sharing.  Which of course, on a DC removes, the ability for the DC to do recursive GP checking. Duh, but security is security.

I reenabled MS File/print..and we are off.

90. Vince says:

Tried installing E12 on Vista b2 server – no luck -getting this is not 2003 server errors.

Comments are closed.