I wrote this a while ago... I/ve been asked by many people on how to install the Pocket PC Emulator — hope it is helpful.
First, install Microsoft ActiveSync 3.7
Install the Pocket PC SDK 2003
Install the Pocket PC SDK 2003 Emulator Images
Next, install Microsoft Visual Studio .NET 2003
If Visual Studio has been installed without the Smart Device Programmability option (and thus without the emulator files), you can update your installation using the following procedure. To load emulator files if Visual Studio has been installed:
- In Windows Control Panel, click Add or Remove Programs.
- Select your installation of Microsoft Visual Studio .NET, and then click Change/Remove.
- In the Visual Studio .NET Setup wizard, click Visual Studio .NET.
- On the Visual Studio .NET Maintenance page, click Add or Remove Features.
- On the Visual Studio .NET Options page, select the Smart Device Programmability check box under either Visual Basic .NET or Visual C# .NET.
- Click Update Now.
After the Visual Studio update is finished, install the emulator using either of the procedures in "Installing the Emulator" section.
Install the Emulator
You must have Administrator permissions to install or remove the emulator. On some operating systems (for example, Windows Server 2003), you must accept the driver security certificate if prompted. To install the emulator by trying to connect to it:
- On the Visual Studio Tools menu, click Connect to Device.
- In the Connect to Device dialog box, click any emulator (for example, Pocket PC 2003 Emulator (Virtual Radio).
- Click Connect.
- If prompted to accept the emulator driver security certificate, click OK.
- View the results on the screen. Installation is successful if:
- The emulator appears.
- The status bar in the IDE displays "Device Connected" or "Ready."
Installation is not successful if:
- The screen displays "Emulator driver installation failed. Most common cause: user does not have administrator permissions."
- The status bar displays "Emulator driver installation failed."