After upgrading your SharePoint 2010 PowerPivot server to be at SQL 2012 SP1 level you get data refresh failures and this error in the logs:
EXCEPTION: Microsoft.AnalysisServices.SharePoint.Integration.Redirector.RedirectorException: This request could not be redirected to a PowerPivot for SharePoint server. An internal error occurred. Please look in the SharePoint logs for more information or contact the administrator of this farm. --->
System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException: Procedure or function UpdateRunProcessTimeWindow has too many arguments specified.
at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlConnection.OnError(SqlException exception, BooleanbreakConnection)
It appears that the "PowerPivot Configuration tool" which needs to be ran after the SQL service pack does not update the PowerPivotServiceApplicationDB SQL database correctly. (We are still researching this)
This causes a mismatch between the updated DLL's and the database on the number of parameters to use on the UpdateRunProcessTimeWindow stored procedure.
The workaround is to manually update your PowerPivotServiceApplicationDB. Follow steps below:
- Start SQL Server Management Studio and connect to the SQL server instance that hosts your SharePoint database.
- Backup your PowerPivotServiceApplicationDB database (name may look something like DefaultPowerPivotServiceApplicationDB-57bc03ae-bd41-4102-ab6f-f03201e3b583)
- Right click on your PowerPivotServiceApplicationDB database and select "New Query"
- Copy the contends of the file LimitedUpdateSQL_sql.txt (attached to blog post) to the new query window
- Click the "Execute" tool bar button
The steps above will redefine the stored procedure so that it matches what the updated DLL's are looking for.