Hi everyone, this is Ayesha Mascarenhas from the Remote Desktop team. Today, I’d like to share with you the latest updates we have made to the Remote Desktop client preview app for Mac:
Multiple monitor support
The preview app now supports the ability to use multiple monitors in your remote session. You can enable multiple monitors for a desktop connection from the additional options.
Copy and Paste files
In addition to supporting copy/paste of text and images, the preview app now supports copy/paste of files so that you can transfer files into and out of the remote session using both Command X/C/V and CTRL X/C/V.
Updates to the keyboard
We’ve changed how the Beta app keyboard works to behave exactly like the Remote Desktop client store app. The Beta app initially used a new implementation of the keyboard; however, many of you reported that this new keyboard introduced several issues with typing into apps like the Hyper-v console and typing certain language characters. The Beta app will continue to support both Command X/C/V and Ctrl X/C/V to copy and paste between the local desktop and remote session. Use the Beta app Help->Report an issue option to share your feedback about the keyboard. Learn more about how the keyboard works in a remote session.
Together with the above new features, the preview app now supports:
- Direct connectivity to desktops as well as connectivity through a Remote Desktop Gateway
- A new user interface together with a redesigned user accounts experience that includes unified management
- High quality video and audio streaming
- Import of .rdp files into the app and export of connections as .rdp files
- New features like the ability to group desktops and to copy and paste images and files
Thanks for trying the preview app for Mac and keep your feedback coming. In future updates, we will be adding folder/drive redirection, printer redirection as well as support for Remote Resources (RemoteApp and Desktop Connections), and Azure RemoteApp.
The Microsoft Remote Desktop app for Mac available in the Mac App Store and updated regularly, is our fully tested and fully featured application. It supports connecting to desktops, remote resources and Azure RemoteApp. This is the app you should use in a live operating environment.
The Microsoft Remote Desktop Beta app for Mac is a pre-release app available on HockeyApp. The pre-release app showcases the new user interface design and features we would like to receive your feedback on. This app does not have all the features that the release version has, and will not have the release level of product support. You may share your feedback with us in multiple ways.
- Help-> Rate the app – use this option to give the app a star rating and to send us your comments just like you would on any App Store.
- Help -> Recommend new Features – use this option to propose new features on our User Voice site. Posting requests here lets other users also vote on the feature so we can understand the broader need for the feature.
- Help -> Report an issue – use this option to report bugs or issues you are running into. The interface to report an issue allows you to submit your name and email address which we recommend submitting. Keep in mind however that these fields are optional. You can submit feedback and issues through this option without entering your personal contact information.