The Documentation Library for System Center 2012 Configuration Manager and the Configuration Manager 2007 Documentation Library have been updated on the web and the latest content has Updated: May 1, 2013 at the top of the topic.
The documentation for System Center Updates Publisher has also been updated with the requirements to publish software updates to Windows Server Update Services on Windows Server 2012. For more information, see Getting Starting with Updates Publisher.
We value customer feedback and try to incorporate it when possible. Although we can’t promise to make the docs perfect for everybody, we are committed to continual improvement. So, keep that feedback coming, and feel free to contact us about anything related to the documentation by using our usual address of SMSDocs@Microsoft.com.
What’s New in the Documentation Library for System Center 2012 Configuration Manager, May 2013
The following information lists the topics that contain significant changes since the April 2013 update.
– Updated for the following updates and clarifications:
- Updated the supported list of client operating systems to include the Core installation of Windows Server 2012.
- Updated the supported list of supported Windows Embedded operating systems to include the Standard and the Industry editions of Windows Embedded 8.
- Added a clarification that the site database and the database for the reporting services point must be on a 64-bit installation of SQL Server.
– Updated to add a note to the table in the Disk Space Configurations section to make clear that the minimum disk space listed does not include the space required for source content that is located on the site server. You can find more information about this in the Plan for Content Libraries section of the Planning for Content Management topic.
– Updated to clarify that when you upgrade an evaluation edition of Configuration Manager to a full edition, you must run the copy of Setup that is located on the site server in the Configuration Manager installation folder.
– Updated to correct details about the service FQDN for a cloud-based distribution point. The FQDN must be unique and not match the name of a computer that is joined to a domain. This clarification is also added to the section that discusses the service certificate that you use for a cloud-based distribution point, in the Planning for Content Management in Configuration Manager topic.
– Updated to clarify that the database for the reporting services point must be on a 64-bit installation of SQL Server.
– Updated the details for SQL Server to SQL Server connections to clarify that Configuration Manager does not require the SQL Server Browser (UDP 1434). Also updated the details in the Connections to Microsoft SQL Server section to clarify that for intersite communications, the SQL Server Service is in use, and that it defaults to port TCP 1433.
– Updated the details for the log files for cloud-based distribution points and removed an inaccurate reference to the Srvacct.log, which is not used by System Center 2012 Configuration Manager, but was used in previous versions of Configuration Manager
– Updated to include how to verify that the connector is installed and configured correctly.
– Updated for the following:
- Clarifications that cloud-based distribution points do not support software update packages and you must make sure that the service certificate does not define an FQDN for the cloud-based distribution point that matches an FQDN of a computer that is joined to a domain.
- Clarification in the Plan for Content Libraries section to clarify that Configuration Manager creates and maintains a content library on each site server in addition to the content library that is created on each distribution point
- Added a new section, Plan for Binary Differential Replication.
– Updated to clarify that App-V 5.0 SP1 is now supported by Configuration Manager.
– Updated to warn that deployment types that contain a link to the Windows Store can be blocked by Group Policy. This information is also added to How to Create Deployment Types in Configuration Manager.
– Updated to correct the number to use when building a query to identify a Linux or UNIX client: the number to use is 13, and not 11 as previously published.
What’s New in the Configuration Manager 2007 Documentation Library for May 2013
The following information lists the topics that contain significant changes since the February 2013 update.
– Updated the supported list of supported Windows Embedded operating systems to include the Standard and the Industry editions of Windows Embedded 8.
– Updated to reflect that Windows Embedded 8 editions are not supported for operating system deployment.
– Updated to correct the log file location.
– Updated to remove the reference to the “Start to Finish Guide to MOF Editing” external resource. Unfortunately, this guide is no longer available.
This posting is provided “AS IS” with no warranties and confers no rights.