The Documentation Library for System Center 2012 Configuration Manager and the Configuration Manager 2007 Documentation Library have been updated on the web and the latest content has Updated: September 1, 2012 at the top of the topic.
These updates include prerelease documentation to support System Center 2012 Configuration Manager SP1, updates for the release version of System Center 2012 Configuration Manager, and updates for Configuration Manager 2007.
If you are interested in Windows 8 and testing the beta version of Configuration Manager SP1, this month’s documentation updates include information about how Configuration Manager supports Windows To Go and the soon-to-be released beta version of the new Upgrade Assessment Tool.
If you have questions or feedback about the documentation, you can contact us by using our usual address of SMSDocs@Microsoft.com.
What’s New in the Documentation Library for System Center 2012 Configuration Manager, September 2012
The following information lists the topics that contain significant changes since the August 2012 update.
– Updated the supported versions of SQL Server: SQL Server Express 2008 R2 with SP1: Requires cumulative update 6. In addition, updated Operating System Requirements for Site Servers, Database Severs, and the SMS Provider in the Site System Requirements section with the information that to align with the latest SQL Server support, Configuration Manager does not support installing the site database for primary or secondary site server on a read-only domain controller (RODC).
– Updated for information about client notification in Configuration Manager SP1 when you must also configure the SQL Server service broker between the site database and the database replica.
– Updated for the important information that Configuration Manager Mac clients in Configuration Manager SP1 always check the certificate revocation list (CRL) when they connect to site system servers (such as management points and distribution points). Unlike Configuration Manager clients on Windows computers, you cannot disable this CRL checking behavior. This information is also added to Determine Whether to Block Clients in Configuration Manager
– Updated to correct the path for the log file, scxcmprovider.log.
– Updated to correct the order of the steps required for prestaging files and added important information about the temporary file that is created when you prestage content.
– Updated for 7 new variables:
– New topic that provides information and procedures about how to use Configuration Manager SP1 so that users can boot to Windows 8 from a USB drive.
– New topic that provides information and procedures about using a script or executable as a prestart command that runs before a task sequence is selected and can interact with the user in Windows PE.
– New section in the Technical Publications node of the library to support the Upgrade Assessment Tool for Configuration Manager SP1. This new tool helps you determine whether client computers can run Windows 7 or Windows 8. You will soon be able to download a prerelease version of this tool from the Microsoft Connect site, as part of the open beta program for SP1.
What’s New in the Configuration Manager 2007 Documentation Library, September 2012
– Updated to include the new support information for SQL Server 2008 R2 SP2.
– Updated to correct the information that Configuration Manager does not remove a deleted distribution point from packages, so you must manually do this yourself before you remove the distribution point.
– Updated as result of customer feedback to correct the log file reference to schedule.log (it was incorrectly listed as sched.log). This is also corrected in the System Center 2012 Configuration Manager equivalent topic, Technical Reference for Log Files in Configuration Manager.
This posting is provided “AS IS” with no warranties and confers no rights.