Strange Error with OAB and System Public Folders in Exchange 2007


I once ran into an interesting issue with a customer, with an error regarding to Public Folders that is not documented anywhere. My customer was using Exchange 2007 together with Outlook 2003 Clients. Of course he had the Offline Address Book published in System Public Folders.


The problem was that Outlook 2003 clients couldn’t download the OAB and were getting the error 4010F – not found.


After inspecting the OAB generation server we saw that we had no errors whatsoever and the OAB was generated successfully every time.


 


When opening the Exchange 2007 PF Management Console and looked into the System Folders, we could see that under the parent entry OFFLINE ADDRESS BOOK everything was missing (including the "/o=Organization/cn=addrlists/cn=oabs/cn=Your_OAB" , so the very entry for the Organization and Administrative Group itself).


 


Here comes the interesting part: when we went into the Management Shell and ran


Get-PublicFolder "\NON_IPM_SUBTREE\OFFLINE ADDRESS BOOK" -Recurse


 


we received the following error:


 


Get-PublicFolder : MapiExceptionObjectDeleted: Unable to open entry ID. (hr=0x8


004010a, ec=-2147221238)


Diagnostic context:


Lid: 18969 EcDoRpcExt2 called [length=55]


Lid: 27161 EcDoRpcExt2 returned [ec=0x0][length=204][latency=1]


Lid: 23226 --- ROP Parse Start ---


Lid: 27962 ROP: ropOpenFolder [2]


Lid: 17082 ROP Error: 0x8004010A


Lid: 21857


Lid: 21921 StoreEc: 0x8004010A


Lid: 27962 ROP: ropExtendedError [250]


Lid: 1494 ---- Remote Context Beg ----


Lid: 26426 ROP: ropOpenFolder [2]


Lid: 23921 StoreEc: 0x3EC


Lid: 21970 StoreEc: 0x8004010F PropTag: 0x668F0040


Lid: 23921 StoreEc: 0x3EC


Lid: 21970 StoreEc: 0x8004010F PropTag: 0x663A000B


Lid: 23921 StoreEc: 0x3EC


Lid: 21970 StoreEc: 0x8004010F PropTag: 0x66C40003


Lid: 21970 StoreEc: 0x8004010F PropTag: 0x3D210102


Lid: 21970 StoreEc: 0x8004010F PropTag: 0x3D210102


Lid: 4547 StoreEc: 0x8004010A


Lid: 6719 StoreEc: 0x8004010A


Lid: 7007 StoreEc: 0x8004010A


Lid: 1750 ---- Remote Context End ----


Lid: 31418 --- ROP Parse Done ---


Lid: 22894


Lid: 24942 StoreEc: 0x8004010A


At line:1 char:17


+ Get-PublicFolder <<<< "\NON_IPM_SUBTREE\OFFLINE ADDRESS BOOK" -recurse


+ CategoryInfo : NotSpecified: (0:Int32) [Get-PublicFolder], Mapi


ExceptionObjectDeleted


+ FullyQualifiedErrorId : 89BC97D1,Microsoft.Exchange.Management.MapiTasks


.GetPublicFolder


 


We then ran Get-PublicFolderStatistics, and we could see that the individual OAB folders (V2, V3 and V4) were actually there.  So apparently the Store had these folders but was unable to open their entry IDs.


 


We ran “Get-PublicFolderStatistics | fl Admindisplayname,folderpath,entryid,isdeleted".


From the outputs, it was apparent that the OAB folder "/o=Organisation/cn=addrlists/cn=oabs/cn=Your_OAB" had the sitefolderGUID


matching the one of the Exchange Administrative Group, while it’s not supposed to match!!!


 


At this point you have two options:


 


1.       If you want to keep your existing OAB, then you can go for resetting the OAB system public folder  by changing it’s SiteFolderGUID with the GUIDGen Tool according to


How to Reset System Folders


http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb331972(EXCHG.80).aspx


2.       Or you can remove your existing OAB and create a new one.


Be sure to dismount and remount the Public Folder Store after performing one of the two operations.


 


Comments (0)

Skip to main content