Some great announcements from the Ignite conference last week coming to OneDrive for Business. The good news is the OneDrive for Business roadmap appears to cover quite a bit of areas around improving reliability, performance, configuration, better features, better security, removing limits, and consolidating sync clients for OneDrive.
What was announced that is potentially slated for a future release?
- Selective Sync – selectively select and unselect what you want to sync locally
- Merging the Consumer OneDrive Sync and OneDrive for Business Sync clients into one client
- Reliable Sync
OneDrive consumer sync protocol is now used for OneDrive for Business, sync scale, sync repair
Other key things which are potentially slated:
- 20,000 file limit is being removed
- 10GB file upload and sync
- Diskspace is no longer double caching (sync storage space same as file sizes)
- Install size Sync reduction – 10s MBs now down from 1.2 GB
- Block personal sync from managed device
- Block unmanaged sync from an unmanaged device
- Migrate existing users to new sync client seamlessly
When can I get this new client?
TAP program is slated for September and RTM slated for end of the year (Q4) for both PC and Mac
Where can I watch these Ignite OneDrive for Business roadmap sessions?