OneDrive for Business default quotas now are being upped to 1TB from 25GB for Office 365 Education

Hot off the presses – we have confirmed that the 1TB storage increase per OneDrive for Business user announced here will apply to A2 and A3 SKU customers.

image

This is great news!

Here is a quick FAQ:

Does this increase apply to Office 365 Education?

Yes, if you have A2 or A3 SKU assigned to your users you will get an increase from the default 25GB to the default 1TB in quota.

Will this increase cost me anything?

No, this will be included in the A2 and A3 SKU.

When will I see this increase in quota to 1TB?

From what I have read, it is coming over the next several months. It takes time to apply this to all the tenants.

Can I have files larger than 2GB?

Currently, SharePoint Online limited to 2GB file size for upload.

Can I limit my sync down?

Currently, OneDrive for Business folder sync cannot be limited by folder, etc.

1. markga says:

Currently, yes however it will be something looked at in the future.

2. markga says:

@Chris – All Academic SKUs

3. markga says:

@ross – I believe the adjustable quota interface goes away after the upgrade to 1TB so I don’t think you can set the quota lower to 500GB.

4. markga says:

@duskin Both are common requests for OneDrive for Business. Stay tuned to the Office 365 roadmap posted here for changes in the future.

5. markga says:

@Sanjay – starts rollout in July. @ Brodie – no impact on Exchange. @Dave, not sure how it is useless since you can store over 1TB of data in the cloud well beyond 20,000 files you just cannot sync over 20,000 files today. This is being looked at in the
    future potentially.

6. markga says:

I don’t believe so. I believe Office 365 University only provides OneDrive consumer not OneDrive for Business which comes with Office 365 Education.

7. Google Rules says:

Are you still limited to a 20K item limit per Doc Library?

NOTE: Update 4-30-14 – This has all changed as we now provide 1TB of default OneDrive for Business quota

I had a public school in Denver ask me this question since they had a rich student portal on prem but

13. Chris Marshall says:

does that mean it will apply to Office 365 for Education A2 for Students and A2 or A3 for Faculty?

14. sanjay says:

When will it be available to A2 customers?

Pingback from Microsoft giving away 15GB of OneDrive storage, 1TB for Office 365 users | Find Your Books

17. Brodie says:

Does this impact storage limits for Exchange Online?

18. Dave McPherson says:

I think the increased limit to 1 TB is amazing, but only 20k of files makes the limit useless. Hopefully they fix that soon, very soon.

19. Ross says:

I wanted to know if this TB can be reduced to 500 gb for example

20. Ross says:

thanks for the answer 🙂

21. little duskin says:

2GB limitation and no folder sync option makes it totally useless in my organization. I’d be amazed if anyone ask me "Why do you need to save a file over 2GB?" I would then ask "How can you use the whole 1TB of space when my HDD only has 500GB and doesn’t
    let me pick which folders to sync, AND doesn’t let me put rar or iso over 2GB??" I don’t want to waste my time splitting rar files when uploading.

22. Mark says:

@Markga You mention that 1Tb and over 20000 files is fine, just cannot sync more than 20000. But the sync button in Onedrive for business *only* allows you to sync the entire OneDrive.. so how is it not useless? I cannot create even 2 top level folders
    and hit sync on one of them… the entire Onedrive will still sync… so more than 20000 files? Completely useless… and dont even get me started on reliability… our company spends dozens of hours per week now just fixing ODFB sync issues for clients…
    it is a shockingly bad piece of software that spoils an otherwise excellent Office 365 solution…

23. looknow12 says:

We are very committed to Office 365 and currently a MS Partner with many customers on the platform. The One Drive limitations of 2gb per file and no folder uploads are very discouraging.