Office 365 ProPlus benefit FAQ

Great news! We just publically announced today at Educause that Office 365 ProPlus will be offered to students at no additional charge if all your faculty and staff are already licensed for Office 2013 Professional Plus via EES/OVSES agreement or via Office 365 ProPlus subscription.

This is incredible news for students as they can now take advantage of all that Office 365 ProPlus has to offer.

I put together a quick FAQ for what this means for your education institution:

What is included with Office 365 ProPlus subscription license?

• Office 365 ProPlus for PC (Office 2013 ProPlus base applications)
    • Office 365 ProPlus for Mac (Office 2011 for Mac base applications)
    • Office for iPad (see here for new update 3.27.14)

How many machines/devices can I run this subscription on?

Each subscription license allows you to run Office on up to five machines being Mac or PC. You can also run Office for iPad on up to 5 tablets.

Is this a full version Office and available for offline use?

Yes, this is full Office on the PC, Mac, tablet, mobile platform and all are available for offline use.

What applications come with Office 365 ProPlus for PC?

image

Word 2013

Excel 2013

PowerPoint 2013

OneNote 2013

Access 2013

Publisher 2013

Outlook 2013

Lync 2013

InfoPath 2013

What comes with Office 365 ProPlus for Mac?

image

Word 2011

Excel 2011

PowerPoint 2011

Outlook 2011

What comes with Office Mobile for iPhone? (update 3.27.14 – now free)

image

Word Mobile

Excel Mobile

PowerPoint Mobile

OneNote and Lync Mobile available as separate download.

See here for more options.

What comes with Office Mobile for Android? (update 3.27.14 – now free)

image

Word Mobile

Excel Mobile

PowerPoint Mobile

OneNote and Lync Mobile available as separate download

See here for more options.

What are the PC requirements for Office 365 ProPlus?

• Windows Server 2008 R2
  • Windows 7
  • Windows Server 2012
  • Windows 8

32-bit Office can be installed on 32-bit or 64-bit operating systems and 64-bit Office can only be installed on 64-bit operating systems.

Computer and processor
1 GHZ or faster x86 or 64-bit processor with SSE2 instruction set.

Memory

1 GB RAM (32-bit)

2 GB RAM (64-bit) recommended for graphics features, Outlook Instant Search, and certain advanced functionality.

Disk space
3 gigabytes (GB)

Monitor resolution
1024 x 768

What are the Mac requirements for Office 365 ProPlus?

• A Mac computer with an Intel processor.
  • Mac OS X version 10.5.8 or later.
  • 1 GB of RAM recommended.
  • 2.5 GB of available hard disk space.
  • HFS+ hard disk format (also known as Mac OS Extended or HFS Plus).
  • DVD drive or connection to a local area network (if installing over a network).
  • 1280 x 768 or higher resolution monitor

What are the iPhone requirements for Office Mobile for iPhone?

iPhone 4

iPhone 5

iPhone 5s

iPod Touch 5th generation

All devices above must be running iOS 6.1 minimum

What about Office on the iPad?

Office for iPad is now available as of 3.27.14.  See new blog post for details here.

What are the Android requirements for Office Mobile for Android?

Android OS 4.0 or greater

Android touch enabled smartphones only

Do students have to sign into Office 365 to use any of these applications with Office 365 ProPlus?

image

Yes, a valid Office 365 ProPlus license tied to a valid Office 365 login for students is required to enable any of the four Office 365 ProPlus features.

How long can a student leverage Office 365 ProPlus?

The guidelines are they can leverage this until they graduate or are no longer attending your school. At that point, you must disable their Office 365 ProPlus license.

How is this different from Office 2013 Professional Plus?

The Office 2013 applications are exactly the same however there are some differences including patching, license sign in for usage, and Click-to-run (C2R) technology for rapid installs (2 minutes for quick usage).

Can I run a local image of Office 365 ProPlus to install from and can I customize the install share?

Yes, you can install Office 365 ProPlus for PC from a local share and still leverage C2R technology for a few minutes installation of Office and with the Office Deployment Tool you can also customize the Office installation. See here for more instructions

Where can I get training on Office 365 ProPlus?

There is some excellent end user training on Office 2013 here.

There is some excellent end user training on Office for Mac 2011 here:

Some end user help guides on Office Mobile for iPhone here and here.

Some end user help guides on Office Mobile for Android here and here.

Some end user Office for iPad training here:

Is there a deployment guide for Office 365 ProPlus?

Yes, there is an excellent IT Pro reference guide here and see my deployment blog post here.

When can I obtain this license for my students?

You can order it through your reseller. Please see these three part series on “How to get Student Advantage”partI, partII, and partIII for guidance. Here is a new “Student Advantage Deployment Guide”.

I have no idea what this is

I have just received the email for the uni I am at to say we will have access to the Student package above. I am in my last year and wanted to know what the cost would be after the course finishes.

I want to know if there is a discount for students when they want to buy/install ID and PS CS 6. (Adobe Illustration and Photoshop) Thanks
    Mary

FANTASTIC NEWS! So happy to hear this! THANK YOU SO MUCH.

How do I install this? Where do I get more information?

How long does it typically take for Microsoft to be sent to universities that qualify for Office 365? Our university has been waiting for 2 weeks now.

7. markga says:

I am not sure what your delay is for. Your reseller should validate that you either have Office licensed for your faculty/staff or not. Once that is complete, they can provide you the Office 365 Pro Plus license for your students at no additional charge.

8. markga says:

You need to ping your university to enable your account with Student Advantage if they are eligible.

how shall I download Office 365 ProPlus?

10. Daneil A says:

I want to know a good way to warm up IP addresses for SMTP services, I am willing to pay for a proven methord? Akshat asked 16 hrs ago – 3 days left to answer I want to know a good way to warm up IP addresses for SMTP services, I am willing to pay for a proven methord we Need experts on SMTPs anyone who can warm IP addresses we are willing to pay or someone who can provide to us some warmed up IP addresses. we have tried some services but they were not very good PLEASE CONTACT ASAP

11. markga says:

@Isabel – you would get your login through your school if they have enabled this benefit on your campus or you can see if your school has direct sign up here:

Excellent use

13. markga says:

@cindy and christian – if you are licensed through your school properly, you just sign into Office with your school provided username and password.

14. markga says:

Questionable – yes, you get 5 tablet and 5 machine copies per student login which machines you put it on is up to you. The key is you have to valid student login and student advantage license for it to run fully.

15. markga says:

Your school has to order Office 365 Education first, next they have to obtain the Office 365 ProPlus licenses for students if they are eligible, assign this license to your account, and then you can download Office 365 ProPlus from the portal. The iPhone and Android Office Mobile apps are in their respective stores for download. Send this to your school: http://blogs.technet.com/b/educloud/archive/2013/10/30/how-do-i-get-student-advantage-in-office-365-education.aspx

16. markga says:

@Toya – no, it will not uninstall it. You will have to remove it manually or obtain a license after graduation. If you don’t do anything it will be in reduced functionality mode which means you can only read/open documents.

17. markga says:

Devon, you have stand up an office 365 tenant, get your students into that tenant (dirsync or other), assign the licenses to that student, have student download office 365 pro plus. To remove, you either remove the license from that student or disable the student account if they have left or graduated.

I have had Student Advantage for over a year and have only managed to deploy to a handful of pupils by selecting the license through the admin console. Deploying with PowerShell removed all my licensing so I had to redeploy without Student Advantage.

If school purchases Off 365 E3 or Off 365 Pro Plus via an Academic MPSA, can the students still get free Off 365 Pro Plus, or does it have to be purchased via an EES? All faculty are covered.

Corrected statement – not a duplicate

Thanks, Rebecca

20. Mark Jones says:

For Universities, Colleges and Schools not currently running Office 365 and wanting to rapidly deploy this, check out Federate 365 MLP from IAM Cloud, completely free to education! http://www.iamcloud.com/federate365/mlp.

21. Mark Jones says:

Federate 365 MLP from IAM Cloud is now launched! To sign up, go to http://www.iamcloud.com/federate365/mlp.

22. Judy says:

Where can I get this Microsoft on my labtop? And do I have to purchase anything?

23. markga says:

Judy,

Your school needs to be eligible for this first (see the FAQ for eligibility). Next, your school needs to order an Office 365 tenant if they do not already have one. Next, they need to order Office 365 ProPlus licenses for their students via their reseller and assign that license to students. Lastly, students login to Office 365 portal and then students can begin to leverage this at no additional charge.

24. Judy says:

Hi Mark,

My school is eligible they emailed us this link for us..do i have to download it to my comp, I go to Broward College….I do not have microsoft Word or Powerpoint on my labtop.

25. Sukhtaj Singh says:

Thanks Microsoft deep from my heart

26. Nesrene says:

It is now mid January and I have not received another email regarding the free subscription. How do I know if my school or campus has the package already.

27. Maryory says:

I cannot download it only says update and I just got a laptop to take advantage of this

28. Sophie says:

How do you install this software?

29. Hayley McGrath says:

When does this become available. Need it soon

30. John says:

What is Microsoft’s definition of an “accredited educational institution?” Are homeschools eligible? We homeschool and Office 365 Home Premium does not provide enough installs for us. I get conflicting answers from first tiered support people. Other’s have this question too: http://community.spiceworks.com/topic/325920-office-365-a2-or-a3-plan-for-homeschool.

31. nidgy says:

This deal is great for newbies You get commercial quality software free for being enrolled at uni. BUT once you leave your license is cancelled. All your documents will be in Office format. You will have to convert them or buy the full priced non-student
    version. I assume Microsoft will discontinue the student license that was available before this offer.

32. kirsty says:

I am a student at wolverhampton uni and have tried to get the free subscription of office on android but the instructions dont match what i see on my email page as there is no setting symbol by the question mark is there another way to get it?

33. Devon says:

At this time, we have ordered 1500 student licenses. I’m not sure how we distribute this to our students or how we go about disabling their license once they are no longer students here. Thanks for any help/info you can provide.

34. Laura Parker says:

We JUST barely bought Office 2013 because we decided we finally couldn’t live without it and then a few days later got a message from our school that we can download it for free. Is there anyway to get a refund?

35. Stephanie says:

I have just downloaded the Office 360 to my computer. A free download from my school. How do i sign in and activate Office for Mac on my computer?

36. Christina says:

Hello, I am trying to download Microsoft, but i do not see the gear symbol. Please help!

37. Questionable man says:

My dad was wondering if he could use it to. He uses the device I use as well so would I be the only one who can use it? If he could put it on his iPad that would be great

Can I have Multi Tenant for Student Advantage on EES?
    My EES enrollment is one enrollment. Could ypu please let me know the process?

39. Abinadi says:

rock

40. Vivek says:

Dear Academic Institution IT Administrators,

If you want to leverage the great benefit of Microsoft Student Advantage, but do not have the infrastructure or desire to implement the distribution, please check our solution below;

41. anonymous says:

hello

42. boled says:

So I’ve spent my EES money and have found how to apply the licence key. In my o365 portal the pro plus licence appears and I can use it to apply to one or twenty at a time. I could use PowerShell to deliver the licence to the many groups that I have and I could use PowerShell to deliver to every one but….

As usual with PowerShell it is a trial and error trying to get all the parameters correct and I have been unsuccessful so far. Additionally “all users” include all staff and I only have enough licences for pupils.

So, my question is, does anyone have the exact PowerShell commands necessary to pull this off using csv files for the groups, and what happens to the teaching staff? How do they get theirs?

43. Anon says:

I can’t seem to download office apps (word, powerpoint etc) that come with this on my mac. My university is registered to it, I have an account, but when i click on the settings cog, click office 365 settings, there is no office option to install word or anything. why might this be?

44. anonymous says:

I have downloaded this on to my computer and signed on with my student iD but it keeps saying unlicensed product why is that? and keeps asking me to repair?? i’m not understanding.

45. Tina says:

This does not work for Toshiba Android Tablets, when trying to install it comes up incompatible with device. As more and more students look to tablet as opposed to iPad are you going to upgrade?

46. Dan says:

Where can I find a Microsoft resource (person) that I can speak to for some definitive answers regarding the Student Advantage program and its availability to our school? I’ve been through 5 Office 365 support phone calls and spoken to an Education Reseller
    and it is still clear as mud. I’m hoping for someone that is not outsourced support.

47. liping zhou says:

hello,i am trying to download MIcrosoft in my IPad,but I do not see the gear symbol in my Email page ,please hel me,

48. Preston D says:

How do i get the product licensed?

49. Cindy Dirzo says:

I have use the free Microsoft office before then I wanted to use it again and it said that it needs to be activated. Which I thought I did. It doesn’t let me use it and said to ask the school administrator for a code or something, don’t understand it.
    Help please

50. Christian L says:

i got the microsoft office download through a partnership with my school , i downloaded the bundle but as i tried to use it ask for a product key but i have none as it was a free download … how do i activate these programs ?

51. Andrew O says:

So, … once we graduate we have to disengage the Office 365 software. What problems does that pose for us?

1. Will the system revert back to the currently installed version? I don’t think I have my original set of discs to re-install.

2. Will the files created in the new software be unusable in earlier versions of the programs?

3. Any other concerns?

We just don’t want to be left high and dry once we graduate.

Thanks.

52. Javier says:

What happens after my student graduates? Do the microsoft office applications, word, excel, powerpoint, etc. stop working? Does all my documents get stored in a cloud or can they be stored in my computer only?

More great news for students and faculty staff.  Launching today we have Office 365 ProPlus

56. isabel says:

where can i found the product key so i can log in. im a college student

57. ph says:

i cannot download this on to my laptop. does the school offer windows 7 upgrade

58. Håvard says:

What are the practical implication on bandwith when 30 students starts streaming Office 365 ProPlus download.

59. Seth says:

Is there MS Onedrive included? This product (proplus) is not listed in here:

What would our log-in and password be when getting it from the school? Our school email and password?? Because I’ve tried hat numerous times

Great news! We launched the new benefit for faculty, staff and teachers.  If your education institution

62. n says:

i cannot download this on to my laptop. does the school offer windows 7 upgrade

63. natasha says:

I have downloaded office following the steps given by my university but it asks for a product key and no, there is no option to activate with a sign in as stated in the faqs. Can you please advise?

64. MK says:

When i tried to install office 365, it keep asking for product key what should i do?

65. MK says:

66. Yvs says:

My college is participating, but I was wondering why I can’t download it to my galaxy tablet. Help??

67. Toya says:

Will this uninstall Office when i graduate school or leave school for any reason?

68. Lupe. says:

It does not let me use it. It says I need a purchase code? But I downloaded it right from my student email.

69. Chris says:

I work for a University which is correctly registered for this, I have downloaded and installed it on to a windows 7 machine, am correctly logged in to my university account, yet whenever I open an office product I get the "Activate online" box pop up.
    I click to do this and get the error code 0x80072EFE please try later. I have been trying all day without success. When I actually go in to the programs it shows I have a valid subscription yet it is still trying to force activation and says it will expire
    in 8 days unless I activate (the activate by phone option is greyed out so this isn’t even an option). I don’t have time to spend the whole day trying to activate a product that the product itself has already identified I have a valid subscription for. I have
    tried removing antivirus and firewalls and checked the system time and it still won’t work!

70. Only available via EES says:

If school purchases Off 365 E3 or Off 365 Pro Plus via an Academic EES, can the students still get free Off 365 Pro Plus, or does it have to be purchased via an EES? All faculty are covered.

Thanks, Rebeca

71. Only available via EES says:

Corrected statement – not a duplicate

Thanks, Rebecca

72. |Mystagan| says:

–>jelal<– come on man -.- really? nows not the time…

73. |Mystagan| says:

nor place

74. krytl says:

for some reason it says that my sign in is invalid

75. Jeanette says:

How can I deactivate it from a computer?

76. Kim says:

Can I reinstall it when I reset my laptop?? Thanks

77. meriem says:

Hi, the Microsoft 2016 is not working with mac from the account student. do you know why?.

I am using the Northwestern University Office 365. I wonder how much onedrive space I got?

1. Steve Faehl says:

You should have up to 5TB today and in the next quarter we are scheduled to deliver unlimited storage for our Office 365 Education customers.