AX 2012 R3 Cumulative Update 8 – FAQ

With the recently announced release of Cumulative Update 8 for Microsoft Dynamics AX 2012 R3 (6.3.1000.309) with KB2998197, there are several key changes in how the CU package is delivered and installed on local environments. The most notable difference is that the update installer is downloaded first and does not actually contain any Dynamics AX product changes.  The fixes and enhancements are downloaded as part of running the update installer. Some of the common questions you might have as a result of this change are:

1. My environment does not allow me to download the package from Lifecycle Services (LCS) website. Where is the "offline package"?

A) The full package can be applied with a new AX 2012 R3 install when using the slipstream process. You will need to log in to LCS and download the CU8 package one time and save it as a custom update package locally.  This update package can be copied to any location for use in "offline" mode. This is listed in the Installation Guide (step 7 on page 7):

"Optional: On the Save updates page, click Save custom update package. You can then reuse the installation package that you have created on another computer in your environment.
    After the custom update package has been created, you can open the location where it is stored."

2. Why are there two version numbers for CU8?

A) When installing CU8 on an existing install, the granular models are installed individually. The specific package that indicates all application fixes included in CU8 is from a specific build: 6.3.1000.473.

3. Why are there over 1500 new models installed on my system when I view installed models from the Help > About screen?

A) CU8 is a collection of all previously released fixes, regulatory updates, and feature enhancements. Each one of these changes is captured in its own individual model with the goal of having lighter dependencies between fixes, as compared to the AX 2012 R2 product today.

4. What is “slipstreaming” and why should I use it?

A) Slipstreaming is well-defined in the Installation Guide on page 4:

"If you are installing Microsoft Dynamics AX 2012 R3 for the first time, you can use the Setup wizard and the slipstreaming process to install CU 8 together with the rest of the product. When updates are slipstreamed, Setup automatically detects and applies them.

5. Is Visual Studio 2013 required with CU8?

A) Yes. If you need to open a Visual Studio project such as a report design or other C# project, Visual Studio 2013 is required.

1. Sari – that process might work, but has not been fully tested, as the slipstream install expects no other models present in the system for the SYP layer. (i.e. if you have other HF’s already installed).

2. Jackie Olson says:

Hi Ryan, Can I upgrade to CU8 by slip streaming CU8 into the R3 installation media from AX 2012 RTM FP (or any older AX versions)?

3. Delayed reply to Jackie – that is a possible upgrade path. Ax 2012 RTM (+FP) to R3 CU8 via the slipstream method.

4. Mathieu Tessier says:

This post answered all my questions, thank you !

5. IMIR says:

Form datasources are not stored by layers. And "Detect code upgrade conflicts" tool does not show me the changes in these forms.

6. Sari says:

Could I took the Slipstream-Package to install it on an existing AX Environment? So I have only 2 new models and the lower build .309
    Are this ok or are this dangerous/false/risk?

7. Brent says:

I have a number of Demo Images Deployed on Azure for testing and pre-sales, how can I update these with the new CU8 Functionality? Or will the Azure Demo deploy be updated and then we need to spin up a new DEMO VM on Azure?

8. Antony says:

Hi Ryan,

I just updated the CU8 package into my existing Demo image deployed on Azure. I followed the upgrade step and perform post installation until finishing the Software upgrade checklist. I can see the kernel version is still 6.3.164.0 but the Application version
    is updated to 6.3.1000.437;

However, I encountered some issues on my Distribution schedule form under Retail and POS app. are not working properly now. Every time when I start the POS, it crashes and returns an error saying that "POS.exe has stopped working" or when I access the Distribution
    schedule, it returns an error saying that "…Unable to communicate with server for upload. Please check username/password, server and database connections. Error Details: System.ServiceModel.Security.MessageSecurityException: An unsecured or incorrectly secured
    fault was received from the other party …"

Appreciate if you can provide the advise for this situation?
    Does the CU8 update change the user credential on AsynchServer and AsynchClient?

9. Allan says:

sdfasdf

10. Nikolaos says:

Hi Antony,

I have also experienced the problem with the kernel not updating when running CU8 update. Microsoft told me that the CU8 updater has a bug that prevents it from updating kernel components. For kernel components (AOS, client etc) you have to uninstall the existing
    versions and reinstall them with slipstream CU8 update.

Package for slipstream update can be found from LCS: Projects – Updates – Updates to include with new installations. The package should be extracted to [your R3RTM installation folder]UpdatesCU8 (from CU8 onward, you have to create subfolders for each update
    under the Updates folder).

The slipstream update package can’t be used for standalone updates, it doesn’t contain axupdate.exe.

11. Katya Craven says:

We are seeing some differences in the syp layer code when we compare the two different types of installations for CU8. The upgrade to CU8 in an existing R3 installation (with 1500+ models) appears to be a subset of the syp code contained in the slipstream
    version of CU8 installation. Has anyone else experienced this issue?

Scenario: You have downloaded the CU-8 hotfix from partnersource/customersource and/or are using the

As mentioned in my previous post , I promised to demonstrate the power of Visual Studio integration with AX.  There are times where it doesn’t make sense to do everything in X++, and native Azure integration…

16. Chacko Thomas says:

After applying CU8 and performing all the steps detailed under "Cumulative Update 8 Installation Guide", the application version is still showing "6.3.164.0" (R3 RTM). The kernel version has been updated to "6.3.1000.309" (CU8), along with AOS and clients.
    We can also see lot of models installed based on the above FAQ. Since our client doesn’t deal with Retail and Public sector features, we have disabled this, along with enabling only some country specific features. We have enabled and selected these on both
    licence configuration and while building the CU8 package from LCS. Is this behaviour normal?
    Also do we need to install the full package even if we have disabled few modules and country specific features under Licence configuration?

With the recent release of AX 2012 cumulative update 8 there has been some considerable changes to the

18. Muhammad Sajid says:

Very Helpful, thanks for sharing knowledge

19. Syed says:

Hi,
    Iam updating CU8 on AX2012 R3, i have appplied cu8 from CU8 package which downloads CU8 from LCS and installs as per the steps. Finally after completing all steps AX2012 application version adn kernel version are different. kindly let me know if anyone has
    faced same issue before and resolved it. Thanks in advance

20. Gregory says:

Hi,

When upgrading R2 (6.2.158.0) to R3 CU8 better is to go with slipstream? What would be best option to upgrade all environments with live production from R2 to R3 CU8?

Regards

21. justin says:

To update the kernel binaries you must install ReportViewer 2012 Runtime. If you haven’t then in the Review Components section the AOS, Client, Components, Setup Support Files, etc aren’t checked. Also, ensure the Development Visual Studio Tools Component
    is removed before starting.

22. TDN says:

How much time(mm/hr) does LCS (Azure) take to deploy AX 2012 R3 Demo version? Thanks in advance.