For the world that is watching our store closely, we are proud to announce that Windows Phone Store features more than 300,000 apps and games. Hundreds more are added everyday!
Our strategy with respect to apps has proven to be right. We set out to :
- Get the apps that matter, that people need and use!
- Ensure that these apps are of Top Class quality!
- Promote innovation and ideation within the ecosystem giving rise to next gen start-ups and entrepreneurs
All though this meant we wouldn’t get large numbers early, it ensured that our consumers got the apps that they need, and used them regularly thereby increasing user engagement significantly. This would in-turn entice the developer ecosystem to build more and more relevant, high quality apps for Windows.
And here we are at 300,00+ apps in the Phone Store, more than twice the number about a year ago!
The growth and adoption of the Windows Phone has been simply staggering, and the developer ecosystem is definitely doing its bit to pump it up further. A few interesting pointers :
- 100 million Windows and Phone Store users (Microsoft 5/14)
- We’re seeing an average of 11 million downloads every day (Microsoft 5/14)
- Windows Phone offers 85 – 90% of the top 20 apps that smartphone users say are important (average survey data, 6/14)
Overall, we’re super happy with the progress we’re making. There has been a 50% increase in active developers participating in the Windows ecosystem year-over-year.
If you are one of those developers out there with a fantastic idea, waiting to write an app, do join us at the various Mobile Camps, Dev Camps and Hackathons and we will help you realize your app!