~ Jitendra Mishra | Support Engineer
Just a quick note on an issue we get here in DPM support every once in a while. There have been some cases where customers cannot change the mount point directory and at the same time they need to backup the mounted volumes within mounted volumes. Unfortunately mounted volumes within mounted volumes cannot be seen in Data Protection Manager (DPM) while you try to select the data to protect in a protection group.
This is by design as DPM does not support protection of mounted volumes within mounted volumes. Please refer to the following for more information:
Unsupported data Types – http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff399413.aspx.
As a work around, we can create a second mount point for the volume in question and then we should be able to back it up in DPM without any problem. To create a second mount point follow these steps:
1. Go to Disk Management in Server Manager.
2. Locate the disk that has the volume in question.
3. Right-click on the volume and then click "Change Drive Letter and paths".
4. In the "Change Drive Letter and paths for the new volume" window click on "Add".
5. In the "Add Drive Letter or Path" window, select "Mount in the following empty NTFS folder" and click "Browse".
6. Select the location where you need to create the mount point and create a new folder or use an existing folder to mount the volume. Make sure that you do not mount the volume inside another mount point!
7. Go to DPM and select the newly created mount point and run the backup.
Jitendra Mishra | Support Engineer | Microsoft GBS Management and Security Division
System Center All Up: http://blogs.technet.com/b/systemcenter/
System Center – Configuration Manager Support Team blog: http://blogs.technet.com/configurationmgr/
System Center – Data Protection Manager Team blog: http://blogs.technet.com/dpm/
System Center – Orchestrator Support Team blog: http://blogs.technet.com/b/orchestrator/
System Center – Operations Manager Team blog: http://blogs.technet.com/momteam/
System Center – Service Manager Team blog: http://blogs.technet.com/b/servicemanager
System Center – Virtual Machine Manager Team blog: http://blogs.technet.com/scvmm
The Forefront Endpoint Protection blog : http://blogs.technet.com/b/clientsecurity/
The Forefront Identity Manager blog : http://blogs.msdn.com/b/ms-identity-support/
The Forefront TMG blog: http://blogs.technet.com/b/isablog/
The Forefront UAG blog: http://blogs.technet.com/b/edgeaccessblog/