What is Data Protection Manager v2?
Microsoft System Center Data Protection Manager V2 Beta 2 (DPM) is a server software application that enables disk-based and tape-based data protection and recovery for file server data and for application server data. DPM also protects and recovers file and application data on clustered servers. DPM performs replication, synchronization, and recovery point creation to provide reliable protection and rapid recovery of data for both system administrators and end-users.
What’s New In DPM V2 Beta2
DPM V2 Beta 2 has all the same features and benefits as Data Protection Manager 2006, plus some additional features, which include:
- DPM 2007 can be installed on a 32-bit or 64-bit computer.
- Tape-based backup and archive solutions
- Protection of:
- Exchange Server 2003 SP2 and Exchange Server 2007
- Microsoft SQL Server 2000 SP4, SQL Server 2005 SP1, or SQL Server 2005 SP2
- Windows SharePoint Services (WSS) 3.0 and Microsoft Office SharePoint Server 2007
- Microsoft Virtual Server 2005 R2 SP1 and its virtual machines
- Windows Server Code Name “Longhorn” operating system (Beta 3)
- Files on workstations and laptops running Windows XP Professional SP2 and all Windows Vista Editions except the Home Edition.
Note: The workstations and laptops that DPM protects must remain connected to the corporate local area network (LAN).
- Files and application data on clustered servers
- Server system state
- Tape data encryption
- Network bandwidth usage throttling configured for protected computers
- Zero data loss restoration for application data
- Support for 64-bit protection
- Protection for SIS-enabled servers
- Protection across domains
- Disaster recovery (including DPM protecting a DPM server)
- You can back up the DPM database to tape or use a second DPM server in a geographically separated location to protect the primary DPM server. If you use tape backups from the primary DPM server, you have a starting point for recovering all your data. If you use a second DPM server, you can restore data protected servers directly from the secondary DPM server. The secondary DPM server can also protect servers until the primary DPM server is brought back online.
- DPM V2 Beta 2 Management Shell
DPM V2 Beta 2 provides its own DPM Management Shell that you can use to manage DPM remotely. DPM Management Shell provides interactive task-based cmdlets and scripts for access to DPM data and operations.
Changes from DPM 2006
- DPM Administrator Console restrictions:
DPM Administrator Console supports more than one user at a time. You can run multiple instances of DPM Administrator Console simultaneously.
- Synchronization frequency has increased from hourly to every 15 minutes.
- You must be a member of the Administrators group to access DPM Administrator Console. If you are a member of a group other than the Administrators group, such as Backup Operator, you will not have access to DPM Administrator Console.
- DPM V2 Beta 2 cannot protect file servers running Windows Server 2000.