1. Download USMT 3.0.1 Package from http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?FamilyID=799ab28c-691b-4b36-b7ad-6c604be4c595
2. Install USMT Package onto a client operating system. Please note: The installation on a Server 2008 is not supported and will fail: USMT fails to install on Windows Server http://support.microsoft.com/kb/959066
3. After successful installation, copy the “USMT301” folder within c:\program files to your SCCM Server. In my example it’s volume e:
6. This XML file will reference only the directory needed on the client:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<component type="Documents" context="System">
<displayName>Component to migrate TK speciffic docs/settings</displayName>
<pattern type="File"> e:\devp\* [*]</pattern>
8. Create a package containing the USMT301 folder. Use defaults for all settings and select “this package contains source files. As source files select the e:\USMT301 folder created previously. Don’t forget to place the package onto the distribution points.
9. Create a custom task sequence containing the steps:
c. Release State Store
10. Place these 3 steps at the very beginning of you task sequence.
11. The files should get captured to your StateMig Point (If you the the error 0x00002024 while requesting the state store, please uninstall update http://support.microsoft.com/kb/974571 and try again. This is a known issue and Microsoft is working on it)