How to enable Remote Desktop on the Windows 8 CTP

Windows 8 looks terrific, however I’m running it in a virtual machine – and the screen speed is slow.

So – how do I turn on Remote Desktop?  – Answer – use “SystemPropertiesRemote.exe”

Here’s how:

• Move the mouse to the bottom-left of the screen (diagonally left) – a “start menu” will popup
  • Click on “Search”
  • Type “CMD” (no uppercase is necessary; this is for effect)…
  • Click on “cmd” on the left
  • Type “SystemPropertiesRemote.exe” (again; no uppercase is necessary)
  • Click on the lowest button (see below)
  • Click “Ok”

To obtain the IP address type “ipconfig” – and find the line with “IPv4 address against it” – eg

Then on the connecting Windows 7 machine – use “start”, – and type “mstsc” into the search  (or use Start – Accessories – “Remote Desktop Connection”)

Type in the IP address as above.

Voila!  You now have access to your remote Windows 8 virtual machine!

Enjoy, and feel free to comment / suggest back!

THANK YOU!

This helped me!

I needed to find the mstsc!  A search for "Remote Desktop Connection" gave me %HOMEDRIVE%%HOMEPATH% in Start, All Programs (non metro)

No option on Win8.
    Only on Win8 Pro.
    Microsoft sucks!

3. ML49448 says:

I joined our office domain and turned on remote desktop and also turned off the firewall and ran updates. When I remote into windows 8 I only get a black screen. I guess I tried to many things at once… Anyway, now logging in at the console (i am running in hyper-v) I also get a black screen. I guess I should have made a snaphot before messing with it. Anyone else having this issue?

4. YG says:

Thank you! These steps helped me. However, do you know how to open the VM so that anyone can RDP in? I had to configure the permissions for myself and anyone else who I wanted to be able to access it from the network (if they didn't want to log in as local admin). Also, unfortunately, Remote Desktop for Mac doesn't work, and neither does PocketCloud on Android, although RDP from Windows 7 does work. I wonder if this is because of some changes to RDP.

I also found that the following steps also work:

1. Move the mouse to the bottom-left of the screen & right-click.

2. Choose Command Prompt.

3. Type "SystemPropertiesRemote.exe" (no uppercase necessary)

4. Select "Allow connections only from computers running Remote Desktop with Network Level Authentication (more secure)"

5. Click Apply.

6. Click Select Users and add the users that you want to have access.

7. Once this is done, click OK on System Properties dialog.

5. Nathan G. says:

I used to be able to log into my desktop using my laptop while my desktop had win 7 installed on it. Now that I installed win 8 it wont work. I have no idea why.

I try to log in through my laptop using all the right ports. I enter the proper credentials. it logs in and shows me my desktop screen for 2-3 seconds and the quits…

Does anyone have any clues as to what might be causing this?

6. SJ says:

@Nathan G: a restart of Win8 resolved it

7. harsh says:

Is there any way how we can enable concurrent users to remote login to the desktop?

8. ManyRootsofallEvil says:

I found this way is simpler:

Server Manager -> Local Server -> Remote Desktop

9. Funkyd101 says:

It also works just pressing the windows key/opening the start screen and typing systempropertiesremote then enter!

10. Christine says:

I am trying to access work, but when I follow the above instructions, I don't have the bottom portion of the pop up box like it is listed above.  I have remove assistance and clicked that box, but I don't have the remote desktop portion.  Any ideas?

11. Rich says:

Plus 1 to Christine – do I have to enable somethint to get the bottom half of the window?

12. jay says:

+1 On the missing bottom portion of remote settings as well. Has anyone found a resolution for this?

13. ayme says:

me too!  I am missing the bottom part…I cant get into my work's computer…I

14. AonC says:

Here is the answer for why Remote Desktop is not available:  It requires Windows 8 Professional.

answers.microsoft.com/…/8d9d729e-a8df-43df-9b4e-6d0e2f35b396

15. July says:

Nada mas me aparece la opción de Romote Assistans, como activo las demás opciones? Windows 8

Quiero conectarme de la computadora del trabajo al personal que dejo en la casa que tienes window 8, o sea, conectarme por RDP de WXP a w8. Please, help me.

16. sam says:

In System Security > Remote > I am not getting any radio button option that complete section is blank. Screen displays contents till Advance button only. What needs to be done get these options available on window?

Quick help is appreciate.

17. Aliasgar Babat says:

In addition to above, remote support tools such as RHUB remote support appliances can be used for remotely accessing Windows and MAC Computers.

18. KK says:

For Remote Connection with Windows 8

Go to your Windows home screen (Windows key on keyboard) click on the Windows Store (green icon), move your pointer into the very top right hand corner and a tools menu displays down the right hand side. Select the search icon and type in "remote desktop connection" (without the ") in the box and select "Apps" from the choices below. Click on the RDC icon that displays and the RDC box pops up. Right click the box and pin to taskbar. There's your shortcut/app to bring up anytime you want to connect remotely.

19. Div says:

Thanks.

20. John Carver says:

Much simple will be to use logmein or Ammyy Admin

21. Ran says:

Works great. Thanks a lot!!!

22. johnny says:

Hi there, How about http://remotedesktop.co/how-to-setup-remote-desktop-connection-on-windows-7/">create a remote desktop connection on windows 7?

23. M&M says:

Microsoft is not quick to advertise that Win 8 or 8.1 does not have this feature… I spent hours before realizing that the feature is not there… Only PRO and Enterprise do… No troubleshooting documentation suggests to verify your edition of windows
    first…but it does tell you to verify if the cable is plugged in… Thx Microsoft

24. vi says:

Hi, I can’t locate the remote desktop in the system properties..only up to advance button..why is that?