Pin Items to the Start Menu or Windows 7 Taskbar via Script

Update 28 April 2009 – This post originally had the sample scripts pinning the executable (calc.exe) directly.  A colleague of mine pointed out that it would be better to pin the Start Menu shortcuts for items instead of directly pinning the executable.  This should be done because shortcuts for Windows Installer applications are special.  Launching applications using their Windows Installer shortcuts can, for example, initiate a repair of the application it if is needed.  So I have changed all the samples to point to shortcuts.  I have also rewritten the attached script as an MDT script and add added a function library that allows the CSIDL (constant special item ID list) values for “special” folders to be used a variables in the item path.

————————————————————————————–

Many customers wish to pre-configure items that are “pinned” to the Start Menu in their Windows images.  Also, since items can now be pinned to the new Taskbar in Windows 7, customers will want to configure “pinned” items there as well.

There is no direct programmatic interface to add pinned items to either the Start Menu or Windows 7 Taskbar.  This was done deliberately to prevent installation programs from spamming these locations with their icons (http://blogs.msdn.com/oldnewthing/archive/2003/09/03/54760.aspx).  This caused many customers to have to take manual steps in the image build process to configure pinned items.  However, there is an indirect way to automate this by using the Shell Objects for Scripting.

When you right click on an object (e.g. file or folder icon) in Explorer, you are presented with a menu of actions like Open, Copy, Create Shortcut.  These actions are called verbs in Shell speak.  The Shell Objects for Scripting allow you to enumerate and execute these verb.  Here is a small snippet of code showing how to enumerate the verbs for Calculator:

Const CSIDL_COMMON_PROGRAMS = &H17
Const CSIDL_PROGRAMS = &H2
Set objShell = CreateObject(“Shell.Application”)
Set objAllUsersProgramsFolder = objShell.NameSpace(CSIDL_COMMON_PROGRAMS)
strAllUsersProgramsPath = objAllUsersProgramsFolder.Self.Path
Set objFolder = objShell.Namespace(strAllUsersProgramsPath & “\Accessories”)
Set objFolderItem = objFolder.ParseName(“Calculator.lnk”)
Set colVerbs = objFolderItem.Verbs
For Each objVerb in colVerbs
    Wscript.Echo objVerb

Below is the output of a small command line script that I wrote (ListVerbs.vbs, included in the attachment) to list the verbs of an item like Calculator.

Verbs2

As you can see, the verbs Pin to Tas&kbar and Pin to Start Men&u are available as verbs for Calculator on my Windows 7 machine. (The & in the verb precedes the letter that can be used to select that verb from the menu using the keyboard.)  We can therefore use the Shell Objects for Scripting to programmatically execute these verbs.  Below is a snippet of VBScript showing how to pin Calculator to the Start Menu:

Const CSIDL_COMMON_PROGRAMS = &H17
Const CSIDL_PROGRAMS = &H2
Set objShell = CreateObject(“Shell.Application”)
Set objAllUsersProgramsFolder = objShell.NameSpace(CSIDL_COMMON_PROGRAMS)
strAllUsersProgramsPath = objAllUsersProgramsFolder.Self.Path
Set objFolder = objShell.Namespace(strAllUsersProgramsPath & “\Accessories”)
Set objFolderItem = objFolder.ParseName(“Calculator.lnk”)
Set colVerbs = objFolderItem.Verbs
For Each objVerb in colVerbs
    If Replace(objVerb.name, “&”, “”) = “Pin to Start Menu” Then objVerb.DoIt

I’ve included in the attachment for this post a switch-driven MDT script, PinItem.wsf, that can be used to pin items to the Start Menu or Windows 7 Taskbar.  This can be used during image builds and these additions do survive the automated profile copy mechanisms in XP and Vista (haven’t tested Windows 7 yet but it should work).  It can also be used in logon scripts, etc.  Please note that this script was written for US English verbs.  The verbs for each action would have to be changed in the script for use with another language.

For automated deployments, some of these items can also be configured through an answer file on Windows Vista and higher.  Windows 7 provides an unattend.xml setting to configure up to three Taskbar pinned items (see TaskbarLinks in Microsoft-Windows-Shell-Setup in the Automated Installation Kit documentation).  And both Windows Vista and Windows 7 provide an unattend.xml setting to configure up to five “recently opened programs” on the Start Menu (StartPanelLinks in Microsoft-Windows-Shell-Setup).  However, neither provide a way in unattend.xml to pin items to the Start Menu.

Disclaimer: The information on this site is provided “AS IS” with no warranties, confers no rights, and is not supported by the authors or Microsoft Corporation. Use of included script samples are subject to the terms specified in the Terms of Use.

This post was contributed by Michael Murgolo, a Senior Consultant with Microsoft Services – U.S. East Region.

PinItem.zip

OK… I thought this script was exactly what I wanted. But I'm confused Michael. You modified this script to run in MDT, yet in the comments you say it can't be run during OSD.

So, am I right in hearing that you can run this during an MDT Build and Capture TS, when the host OS has booted and is just about ready to capture, but I can NOT run this script if I want to apply that captured image to a machine during a standard client MDT OSD sequence?

I have the VBS file working when I execute manually but how to call it from OCT2013??

We have used this during our automated deployment, however the shortcuts are being overwritten when we do a user migration with USMT 4 is there any way of preventing the migration of these items?

Regards

Must this script be run each time the user logs in, say, within a logon script??

Or only once??

5. Justin,

Open PinItem.wsf in a text editor.  The usage can be found in the script header.

Michael Murgolo

6. Pete,

Yes, I should have plainly stated the requirement that the script depends on ZTIUtility.vbs.  However, I will not redistribute files from other Microsoft products/downloads.  Those items have an End User License Agreement that must be accepted before using them.

However, I have added the stand-alone PinItem.vbs script back to the Zip download.  This will be easier to use outside of MDT since it has no external dependencies.

Michael Murgolo

7. Diogo

You would have to use the TaskbarLinks setting mentioned above in unattend.xml to configure the desired initial taskbar links.

Michael Murgolo

8. xpclient says:

A much simpler and free tool is now available called Taskbar Pinner:
    winaero.com/comment.php
    to pin anything.

9. Ian,

I don't believe you can use the technique from my script to use a verb on the "extended" context menu.  The Shell Scripting Objects have not been updated to support those.

Michael Murgolo

10. Philip Colmer,

Please check your shortcut file name.  On my machine the .lnk file has the name "Microsoft Outlook 2010" not "Outlook 2010".

Michael Murgolo

11. negrumanuel says:

Hi,
    When using this script, every now and then I get a Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime library on cscript.exe (the pinitems.vbs executes at user logon – not logon script – different section in GPO). and the error is R6016 not enough space for threaded data. running on windows server 2008 R2 / Citrix 6.5 server, fully patches, Visual C++ 2005, 2008, 2010 both 32 and 64 bit installed. Thanks.

12. MrShannon,

There is really no way to pin an item for all users after the OS is deployed.  This would have to be done in something like a logon script.

Michael Murgolo

13. tlyczko2, the script should only have to be run once to pin the items.  Whether it is visible as a logon script depends on how it is launched.  The default script host is wscript.exe, so they should only see dialogs from calls like Wscript.Echo.  There may still be some of those that I was using for debugging still in the VBS version.  You may need to comment those out to make it completely silent.

os7, I have not tried to pin a folder.  I don't see an Pin actions on the context menu for folder so I doubt it can be done.

Michael Murgolo

14. Thomas,

I just tested them again on my machine (US English) and they worked fine.

As I mentioned in the main blog text, these scripts were written for US English verbs.  The verbs for each action would have to be changed in the scripts for use with another language.

Michael Murgolo

15. I'm trying to use this to pin Outlook to the taskbar after Office has been installed. I'm using this command:

cscript.exe %SCRIPTROOT%PinItem.wsf /item:"%CSIDL_COMMON_PROGRAMS%Microsoft OfficeOutlook 2010.lnk" /taskbar

but it isn't working. If I run this command from within the MDT environment, I get this output:

Property item is now = %CSIDL_COMMON_PROGRAMS%Microsoft OfficeOutlook 2010.lnk

Property taskbar is now =

Microsoft Deployment Toolkit version: 5.1.1642.01

———— Initialization pinitem ————-

The /item switch specified with value: %CSIDL_COMMON_PROGRAMS%Microsoft Office

Outlook 2010.lnk

The /taskbar switch was specified.

Function-GetSpecialFolder: Cannot determine special folder for CSIDL_PROFILES

Item "C:ProgramDataMicrosoftWindowsStart MenuProgramsMicrosoft OfficeOutl

ook 2010.lnk" does not exist.  Exiting Script.

———— Departing pinitem ————-

ZTI ERROR – Non-zero return code by pinitem, rc = 1

I've checked that the path is correct and that the link file IS there, so I'm at a bit of a loss as to what I can do to get this working.

Thanks.

16. Michael,

ZTI-SpecialFolderLib.vbs is a function library used by PinItem.wsf.  It needs to be in the same folder as PinItem.wsf.

Michael Murgolo

17. DreamensioN,

This script depends on the Explorer shell because it is executing shell verbs.  OSD runs as the System account with no shell.  This cannot be used during OSD.

The CSIDL_PROFILES message is not an error.  It is an informational message that means that the special folder value was not found.  It may simply not be defined in that version of Windows.

You would need to use this script during either the image build or in a logon script after the OS is deployed.

Michael Murgolo

Wow am I glad I found this.  Thanks a lot guys.

phoeneous thanks for your unpinning script too.  You almost had it.  The Windows Explorer link doesn't exist in strAllUsersProgramsPath.  It is in the User profile in the same location as strIEFolderPath.  I've changed that variable name to strUserFolderPath and using that to remove both IE and Windows Explorer as below:

Option Explicit

Dim objFolderIE

Dim objFolderItemIE

Dim objFolderExp

Dim objFolderItemExp

Dim colVerbs

Dim objVerb

Set objShell = CreateObject("Shell.Application")

Set objAllUsersProgramsFolder = objShell.NameSpace(CSIDL_COMMON_PROGRAMS)

strAllUsersProgramsPath = objAllUsersProgramsFolder.Self.Path

Set objUserFolder = objShell.NameSpace (CSIDL_STARTMENU)

strUserFolderPath = objUserFolder.Self.Path

'Windows Media Player

Set objFolderWMP = objShell.Namespace(strAllUsersProgramsPath)

Set objFolderItemWMP = objFolderWMP.ParseName("Windows Media Player.lnk")

Set colVerbs = objFolderItemWMP.Verbs

For Each objVerb in colVerbs

If Replace(objVerb.name, "&", "") = "Unpin from Taskbar" Then objVerb.DoIt

'Internet Explorer

Set objFolderIE = objShell.Namespace(strUserFolderPath & "Programs")

Set objFolderItemIE = objFolderIE.ParseName("Internet Explorer.lnk")

Set colVerbs = objFolderItemIE.Verbs

For Each objVerb in colVerbs

If Replace(objVerb.name, "&", "") = "Unpin from Taskbar" Then objVerb.DoIt

'Windows Explorer

Set objFolderExp = objShell.Namespace(strUserFolderPath & "ProgramsAccessories")

Set objFolderItemExp = objFolderExp.ParseName("Windows Explorer.lnk")

Set colVerbs = objFolderItemExp.Verbs

For Each objVerb in colVerbs

If Replace(objVerb.name, "&", "") = "Unpin from Taskbar" Then objVerb.DoIt

19. Ben,

ZTIUtility.vbs in included with MDT.  Since it is already part of MDT I did not see the need to redistribute another copy.

Michael Murgolo

Hi @ The Deployment Guys ^^

What do i have to change in the script or have to do, to be capaple of Pinning LNK-Files that are stored on a UNC-Path to the Taskbar or to the Starmenu? When i pinn Shorcuts that are stored on the Local Machine it works fine :). But when i want to Pinn Shorcuts from an a UNC-Path it happens nothing. I don't even get a failiure message >> " Item  pinned: True "

I dont now what im doing wrong, ist that below the correct way of giving the command to the CMD-Promt??

>> cscript.exe pinitem.vbs /item:"\serverlnkpdfcreator.lnk" /taskbar <<

>> cscript.exe pinitem.vbs /item:\serverlnkpdfcreator.lnk /taskbar <<

Thanks in advance!!

If this script is used within a logon script, does the user see the script running??

22. Ananth B. says:

Hi, I’m writing an MP3 player (free, to be released soon) that has no UI, and takes advantage of Win7 taskbar features to handle all user input.

For one, I dynamically set the main form icon to the song’s album art. This presents a problem because when I pin the program, it uses the application icon from the resource file.

So my questions are:

1. Can I find out if my application is pinned to the taskbar(are these pinned items stored anywhere)? – My application is single-instance anyway, so it doesn’t matter if its run from other places.

2. I can execute the vbs you’ve put up here to pin programs to the taskbar, but what about removing it from the taskbar? I didn’t find a verb that does this. – I ask this because I can un-pin the application at startup and pin it back on when I’m closed.

Thanks in advance, your responses will be most appreciated!

email: ananth _at_ ananthonline.net

-Ananth

23. Ananth B. says:

Got it! This for people who stumble across this thread looking for information on (un)pinning item from/to the Windows 7 taskbar using .NET.

I’ve written a blog entry on this with some code to boot at http://blog.ananthonline.net/?p=37.

Hope it helps!

24. konieckropka says:

Hi. Cool scripts… but…What about

when your "pinn to taskabr" and "Pin to start menu" disappeared accidentaly?

How to reverse windows registry settings to get them back as asked on this technet forum

Any ideas?

25. bascaro says:

its nice to pin and unpin those icons.

Thanks!

, but…

it would be even cooler if it is possible to re-arrange the items.

F.e.: if i pin up the Thunderbird icon to the Taskmenu, it should automatically be ordered next to the Internet Explorer.

Is this possible?

If it is, how?

26. ML49448 says:

How do you use the ZTI-SpecialFolderLib.vbs? I suppose, I should modify it in some way before calling it from MDT?

Thanks!

27. ML49448 says:

Yes – I figured it out. Thank you!

28. DreamensioN says:

Great script and thanks a lot!  This has helped me to get pinned items during an MDT build.

I was wondering – has anybody had success in getting this working via OSD deployments in SCCM?  I’m using the same script and I have everything I need in the package – however, when I deploy during my build & capture task sequence – I get an error in the SMSTS.LOG

"Function-GetSpecialFolder: Cannot determine special folder for CSIDL_PROFILES."

I’ve got the pinitem.wsf, zti-specialfolderslib.vbs, ztiutility.vbs and listverbs.vbs file in the package.

However when I log in as a user, and run pinitem.cmd as the user – it works.  It just doesn’t work when SCCM is trying to do it.

Anybody else have a similar problem?

29. Justin Cochran says:

I am trying to figure out where I would specify what I want to pin to the Start Menu. Any Assistance? I am new to this.

30. Ben says:

Hi,

Should ZTIUtility.vbs be included in the zip? I don’t seem to have it.

I only have:

ListVerbs.vbs

PinItem.cmd

PinItem.vbs

ZTI-SpecialFolderLib.vbs

Cheers

31. Ben says:

Ah nevermind… 🙂

I found a copy here that works.

Cheers

32. Diogo Sousa says:

Hello guys, and greetings from Portugal!

What about avoiding all users to get WMP and IE on the taskbar?

Can anyone help me do this?

Best Regards,

Diogo Sousa

33. pete says:

I would include the ZTIUtility.vbs in your zip download as other people have different uses for this than yours. I for one thought it didn’t work until I found the additional file in a link later on.

I wanted to use the script as I have a mandatory profile at work meaning my settings changes don’t save on log off. With this I can pin my commonly used programs on startup.

34. Thomas Brinkmann says:

Hello,

thanks for the Scripts. But i can’t get it to work. I’m using Windows 7 Pro (german)

The PinItem.cmd creates a Pinned "Calc" in the Start-Menu, perfect. But in the Taskbar there will be no Calc pinned 🙁

The PinItem.vbs doesn’t work. Neither in the StartMenu, nor in the Taskbar

cscript PinItem.vbs /item:c:tempcalc.lnk

or

cscript PinItem.vbs /item:%windir%system32calc.exe

what am I doing wrong?

35. Hi Thomas,

This script helped me out a lot customizing my Windows7 image but I also ran into the same issue using the script on a Windows 7 image with multiple languages installed.

I am not a scripting king but I managed to write the following script. The script reads the current language variable from the registry. Based on this information it set a language verb variable called "PinItemtext"

Just add the code into the script and replace the verb with "PinItemtext" and it should work.

Here is the code:

————-

Option Explicit

Dim objShell

Dim strLangSet, strWinLogon, PinItemtext

strLangSet = "LastUserLangID"

strWinLogon = "HKEY_CURRENT_USERSoftwareMicrosoftWindowsCurrentVersionThemeManager"

Set objShell = CreateObject("WScript.Shell")

strLangSet = objShell.RegRead(strWinLogon & strLangSet)

Select case strLangSet

case "1033"

PinItemtext = "Pin to Taskbar"

case "1031"

PinItemtext = "An Taskleiste anheften"

case "1040"

PinItemtext = "Aggiungi alla barra delle applicazioni"

case "1043"

PinItemtext = "Aan de taakbalk vastmaken"

case "1036"

PinItemtext = "Épingler à la barre des tâches"

case "1038"

PinItemtext = "Rögzítés a tálcán"

case else

PinItemtext = "Pin to Taskbar"

End Select

Wscript.Echo PinItemtext

WScript.Quit

———

36. phoeneous says:

How do you UNpin the Windows Explorer icon from the taskbar?  I was able to remove IE and WMP but I keep getting an error on line 45 of the script below.

[code]

Dim objFolderIE

Dim objFolderItemIE

Dim objFolderExp

Dim objFolderItemExp

Dim colVerbs

Dim objVerb

Set objShell = CreateObject("Shell.Application")

Set objAllUsersProgramsFolder = objShell.NameSpace(CSIDL_COMMON_PROGRAMS)

strAllUsersProgramsPath = objAllUsersProgramsFolder.Self.Path

Set objIEFolder = objShell.NameSpace (CSIDL_STARTMENU)

strIEFolderPath = objIEFolder.Self.Path

‘Windows Media Player

Set objFolderWMP = objShell.Namespace(strAllUsersProgramsPath)

Set objFolderItemWMP = objFolderWMP.ParseName("Windows Media Player.lnk")

Set colVerbs = objFolderItemWMP.Verbs

For Each objVerb in colVerbs

If Replace(objVerb.name, "&", "") = "Unpin from Taskbar" Then objVerb.DoIt

‘Internet Explorer

Set objFolderIE = objShell.Namespace(strIEFolderPath & "Programs")

Set objFolderItemIE = objFolderIE.ParseName("Internet Explorer.lnk")

Set colVerbs = objFolderItemIE.Verbs

For Each objVerb in colVerbs

If Replace(objVerb.name, "&", "") = "Unpin from Taskbar" Then objVerb.DoIt

‘Windows Explorer

Set objFolderExp = objShell.Namespace(strAllUsersProgramsPath & "Accessories")

Set objFolderItemExp = objFolderExp.ParseName("Windows Explorer.lnk")

Set colVerbs = objFolderItemExp.Verbs

For Each objVerb in colVerbs

If Replace(objVerb.name, "&", "") = "Unpin from Taskbar" Then objVerb.DoIt

[/code]

37. MrShannon says:

I am interested in using this in a Task Sequence that I use to deploy Office 2010.  I have been able to use the script on my computer to see that it is in fact pinning, but when I run the script in the task sequence I do not see them appearing in any user account that logs on to the computer.  I assume it is because the act of pinning has an effect on the current user profile in the context that the script is running in.  So I am wondering how do I apply this against the default user profile?  Can I?

38. Michael F. says:

This program is working fine for pinning programs but how would I need to modify it to pin a folder. I have seen and applied the regestry change that allows for the pinning of folders by holding down SHIFT key and right clicking then choosing Pin to Start Menu. I guess the main question is what modifications need to be made to the script to access this Alternative Command verbs list?

39. Ian says:

Is there a way to use a verb that only appears on the 'extended' context menu, ie, the context menu that appears when holding down shift+right-click? thanks!

40. Martin says:

Hi Michae,

Great script – very useful.

Is it possible to unpin items again with your script? And how would that be done?

Cheers

41. andreas says:

Also, remember that these options are MUI aware, so if you use them on a TS remember to add settings for each language…

42. anthonyx26 says:

I revised original script to support a parameter to _unpin_ an item as well, if anyone is interested (same caveat applies:  only supports US English, but is easily modified to support other languages).

Usage:  If you

Cheers!

– anthonyx26

'**************************************

'* pinitem.vbs ************************

'**************************************

' Windows Script Host Sample Script

'

' ————————————————————————

'               Copyright (C) 2009 Microsoft Corporation

'

' You have a royalty-free right to use, modify, reproduce and distribute

' the Sample Application Files (and/or any modified version) in any way

' you find useful, provided that you agree that Microsoft and the author

' have no warranty, obligations or liability for any Sample Application Files.

' ————————————————————————

'* File:           PinItem.vbs

'* Date:           03/04/2009

'* Version:        1.0.2

'* Main Function:  VBScipt to pin an item to the Start Menu or Taskbar

'* Usage:  cscript PinItem.vbs /item:<path to exe>

'*                 [/taskbar] [/?]

'*                 [/unpin]

'* Copyright (C) 2009 Microsoft Corporation

'* Revisions:

'*

'* 1.0.0 – 04/03/2008 – Created.

'* 1.0.1 – 03/02/2009 – Used Replace in PinItem function to remove "&"

'*                      from verb.

'* 1.0.2 – 03/04/2009 – Script name was PinToStartMenu.vbs.  Added

'*                      /taskbar switch to pin items to taskbar on

'*                      Win7.

'* 1.0.3 – 03/15/2011 – Added /unpin switch to pinitem.vbs script to permit

'*                      unpinning items as well

'*****************************************************************************

Const CONST_FOR_READING         = 1

Const CONST_FOR_WRITING         = 2

Const CONST_FOR_APPENDING       = 8

Const CONST_Success             = 0

Const CONST_Failure             = 1

Const TRISTATE_USE_DEFAULT      = -2

Const TRISTATE_TRUE             = -1  'Open the file as Unicode.

Const TRISTATE_FALSE            = 0   'Open the file as ASCII.

blnTaskbar = False

blnUnpin = False

'*****************************************************************************

'* Create Objects

'*****************************************************************************

Set objWshShell = CreateObject("Wscript.Shell")

Set objFSO = CreateObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject")

Set objShell = CreateObject("Shell.Application")

'********************************************************************

'* Check script host exe and parse command line

'********************************************************************

'Get the command line arguments

For i = 0 to Wscript.arguments.count – 1

ReDim Preserve arrArguments(i)

arrArguments(i) = Wscript.arguments.item(i)

'Check whether the script is run using CScript

Select Case intChkProgram()

Case CONST_CSCRIPT

'Do Nothing

Case CONST_WSCRIPT

WScript.Echo "Please run this script using CScript." & vbCRLF & _

"This can be achieved by" & vbCRLF & _

"1. Using ""CScript MODIFYUSERS.vbs arguments"" for Windows 95/98 or" & VbCrLf & _

"2. Changing the default Windows Scripting Host setting to CScript" & vbCRLF & _

"    using ""CScript //H:CScript //S"" and running the script using" & vbCRLF & _

"    ""MODIFYUSERS.vbs arguments"" for Windows NT."

WScript.Quit

Case Else

WScript.Quit

End Select

'Parse the command line

Err.Clear()

intOpMode = intParseCmdLine(arrArguments, strPath, blnTaskbar, blnUnpin, strOptionsMessage)

If Err.Number Then

Wscript.Echo "Error 0X" & CStr(Hex(Err.Number)) & " occurred in parsing the command line."

If Err.Description <> "" Then

Wscript.Echo "Error description: " & Err.Description & "."

'WScript.quit

Select Case intOpMode

Case CONST_SHOW_USAGE

Call ShowUsage()

WScript.quit

Case CONST_PROCEED

'Do nothing.

Case CONST_ERROR

WScript.quit

Case Else

Wscript.Echo "Error occurred in passing parameters."

End Select

'* Main Script

WScript.Echo strOptionsMessage

blnPinned = PinItem(strPath, blnTaskbar, blnUnpin)

If blnUnpin Then

WScript.Echo "Item unpinned: " & CStr(blnPinned)

Else

WScript.Echo "Item pinned: " & CStr(blnPinned)

If blnPinned Then

WScript.Quit(0)

Else

WScript.Quit(1)

'* Function intChkProgram()

'*

'* Purpose:  Determines which program is used to run this script.

'* Input:    None

'* Returns:  intChkProgram is set to one of CONST_ERROR, CONST_WSCRIPT,

'*           and CONST_CSCRIPT.

Private Function intChkProgram()

ON ERROR RESUME NEXT

Dim i

Dim j

Dim strFullName

Dim strCommand

'strFullName should be something like C:WINDOWSCOMMANDCSCRIPT.EXE

strFullName = WScript.FullName

If Err.Number then

Wscript.Echo "Error 0x" & CStr(Hex(Err.Number)) & " occurred."

If Err.Description <> "" Then

Wscript.Echo "Error description: " & Err.Description & "."

intChkProgram =  CONST_ERROR

Exit Function

End If

i = InStr(1, strFullName, ".exe", 1)

If i = 0 Then

intChkProgram =  CONST_ERROR

Exit Function

Else

j = InStrRev(strFullName, "", i, 1)

If j = 0 Then

intChkProgram =  CONST_ERROR

Exit Function

Else

strCommand = Mid(strFullName, j+1, i-j-1)

Select Case LCase(strCommand)

Case "cscript"

intChkProgram = CONST_CSCRIPT

Case "wscript"

intChkProgram = CONST_WSCRIPT

Case Else       'should never happen

Wscript.Echo "An unexpected program is used to run this script."

Wscript.Echo "Only CScript.Exe or WScript.Exe can be used to run this script."

intChkProgram = CONST_ERROR

End Select

End Function

'* Function intParseCmdLine()

'*

'* Purpose:  Parses the command line.

'*

'* Input:    arrArguments              An array containing input from the command line

'* Input:    strPath                   Path of exe to pin

'*           strOptionsMessage         String containing options selected

'* Returns:  intParseCmdLine is set to one of CONST_ERROR, CONST_SHOW_USAGE,

'*           and CONST_PROCEED.

'********************************************************************

Private Function intParseCmdLine(arrArguments, strPath, blnTaskbar, blnUnpin, strOptionsMessage)

ON ERROR RESUME NEXT

Dim i

Dim strFlag

Dim strSwitchValue

strFlag = arrArguments(0)

Err.Clear()

'Help is needed

If (strFlag = "") OR (strFlag="help") OR (strFlag="/h") OR (strFlag="h") OR (strFlag="-h") _

OR (strFlag = "?") OR (strFlag = "/?") OR (strFlag = "?") OR (strFlag="h") Then

intParseCmdLine = CONST_SHOW_USAGE

Exit Function

strOptionsMessage = strOptionsMessage & ""  & VbCrLf

strOptionsMessage = strOptionsMessage & WScript.ScriptName  & VbCrLf

strOptionsMessage = strOptionsMessage & ""  & VbCrLf

strOptionsMessage = strOptionsMessage & "Command Line Options:"  & vbCrLf

strOptionsMessage = strOptionsMessage & "======================================="  & VbCrLf

For i = 0 to UBound(arrArguments)

strFlag = Left(arrArguments(i), InStr(1, arrArguments(i), ":")-1)

If Err.Number Then            'An error occurs if there is no : in the string

Err.Clear

Select Case LCase(arrArguments(i))

Case "/q"

blnQuiet = True

strOptionsMessage = strOptionsMessage & "Supress Console Output: " & blnQuiet & VbCrLf

Case "/taskbar"

blnTaskbar = True

strOptionsMessage = strOptionsMessage & "Pin to Taskbar instead of Start Menu: " & blnTaskbar & VbCrLf

Case "/unpin"

blnUnpin = True

strOptionsMessage = strOptionsMessage & "Unpin instead of Pin: " & blnUnpin & VbCrLf

Case Else

Wscript.Echo arrArguments(i) & " is not recognized as a valid input."

intParseCmdLine = CONST_ERROR

Exit Function

End Select

Else

strSwitchValue = Right(arrArguments(i), Len(arrArguments(i))-(Len(strFlag)+1))

Select Case LCase(strFlag)

Case "/item"

strPath = strSwitchValue

strOptionsMessage = strOptionsMessage & "Item to pin to Start Menu or Taskbar: " & strPath & VbCrLf

Case else

Wscript.Echo "Invalid flag " & strFlag & "."

Wscript.Echo "Please check the input and try again."

intParseCmdLine = CONST_ERROR

Exit Function

End Select

If (strPath = "") Then

Wscript.Echo "The /item switch is required"

Wscript.Echo "Please check the input and try again."

intParseCmdLine = CONST_ERROR

Exit Function

intParseCmdLine = CONST_PROCEED

End Function

'* Function PinItem()

'*

'* Purpose:  Pin item to the Start Menu.

'* Input:          strlPath          Path of exe to pin

'*                 blnTaskbar        Pin item to Taskbar instead of Start Menu if true

'* Dependencies:   objShell          Shell.Application object

'*                 objFSO            File System object

'* Returns:        True if the shortcut is created, else false

'********************************************************************

Function PinItem(strlPath, blnTaskbar, blnUnpin)

On Error Resume Next

Dim colVerbs

Dim itemverb

Dim objFolder

Dim objFolderItem

Dim strFolder

Dim strFile

If objFSO.FileExists(strlPath) Then

'***** Do nothing, folder exists

Else

'***** Folder does not exist

PinItem = False

WScript.Echo "File to pin does not exist."

WScript.Echo "Please check the input and try again."

Exit Function

strFolder = objFSO.GetParentFolderName(strlPath)

strFile = objFSO.GetFileName(strlPath)

WScript.Echo "Folder: " & strFolder

WScript.Echo "File: " & strFile

Err.Clear

Set objFolder = objShell.Namespace(strFolder)

Set objFolderItem = objFolder.ParseName(strFile)

' ***** InvokeVerb for this does not work on Vista/WS2008

'objFolderItem.InvokeVerb("P&in to Start Menu")

' ***** This code works on Vista/WS2008

PinItem = True

Else

PinItem = False

End Function

'* Sub ShowUsage()

'*

'* Purpose:   Shows the correct usage to the user.

'* Input:     None

'*

'* Output:    Help messages are displayed on screen.

Sub ShowUsage()

WScript.Echo "This script is used to Pin items to the Start Menu or Taskbar."

WScript.Echo ""

WScript.Echo "Usage: cscript " & WScript.ScriptName & " [options]"

WScript.Echo ""

WScript.Echo "Options:"

WScript.Echo ""

WScript.Echo " /item:<PathName>       Path of item to pin."

WScript.Echo ""

WScript.Echo " /taskbar               (Optional) Pin to Taskbar instead of Start Menu."

WScript.Echo ""

WScript.Echo " /unpin                 (Optional) Unpin from instead of Pin to."

WScript.Echo ""

WScript.Echo " /?                     (Optional) Displays this help text."

WScript.Echo ""

WScript.Echo ""

WScript.Echo ""

End Sub

'**************************************

43. Mad Mark says:

OK, So I am going Crazy here.

All of this is on Windows 7 Pro..

I am trying to Create a Shortcut that points to a web URL, and pin that to the Taskbar.

I use VB Code to create a .lnk file for Internet Explorer pointing to the web URL I want like this

Set Shell = CreateObject("WScript.Shell")

StartMenuPath = Shell.SpecialFolders("AllUsersStartMenu")

Set link = Shell.CreateShortcut(StartMenuPath & "Somewhere out there.lnk")

link.Arguments = "http://www.somewhere.com&quot;

link.Description = "Somwhere Out There"

link.IconLocation = "C:IconsSomewhere.ico,0"

link.TargetPath = "C:Program FilesInternet Exploreriexplore.exe"

link.WindowStyle = 3

link.WorkingDirectory = ""

link.Save

This creates the link just great.

Then I try to Pin it to the Task Bar like this

Const CSIDL_COMMON_PROGRAMS = &H17

Const CSIDL_PROGRAMS = &H2

Set objShell = CreateObject("Shell.Application")

Set objAllUsersProgramsFolder = objShell.NameSpace(CSIDL_COMMON_PROGRAMS)

strAllUsersProgramsPath = objAllUsersProgramsFolder.Self.Path

Set objFolder = objShell.Namespace(strAllUsersProgramsPath & "")

Set objFolderItem = objFolder.ParseName("Somewhere out there.lnk")

Set colVerbs = objFolderItem.Verbs

For Each objVerb in colVerbs

If Replace(objVerb.name, "&", "") = "Pin to TaskBar" Then objVerb.DoIt

It doesn't pin it to the Task bar and if I right click the Shortcut, the "Pin to Taskbar" isn't shown

i also tried the followintg:

1) Right click the desktop and select new shortcut

2) Point the Shortcut to "c:program filesinternet exploreriexplore.exe" http://www.somwhere.com

3) Give it the name "Somewhere out there, and click finish.

4) Right Click the shortcut and "Pin to Taskbar" is shown

5) Rename the shortcut to "Somewhere on the web"

6) Right click the shortcut and "Pin to Taskbar" is gone gone gone….

How can I retain what little hair I have left, and get the Shortcut to a web destination pinned to the task bar?  this has to be done with code as it needs to be an automated process..

-Mark

44. Ben says:

I am struggling on how to implement this script. There are many files in this zip folder but there is no readme.txt. From the posts here I am surmising that PinItem.vbs is stand alone. However PinItem.wsf requries PinItem.cmd, ListVerbs.vbs and ZTI-SpecialFolderLib.vbs and some other file that is not even included in the zip to be in the same folder in order for the script to work. This file is ZTIUtility.vbs. It was not included because "is already part of MDT I did not see the need to redistribute another copy."

Since I am stupid and I could not find that file I attempted to use the PinItem.vbs in conjunction with the PinItem.cmd contents.

I have server 2008 with a User Login Batch script. In the batch file I copied the PinItem.cmd contents and made the following changes. The PinItem.vbs script is in the same folder as my login.bat. None of the variations I tried work. Can anyone give me a point or nudge in the correct direction. This is so fustrating and I feel I am so close. Thanks.

:: ********************************************************************************

:: Sample command shell script to demonstrate the usage of PinItem.vbs

:: Clear all environment variables

@echo off

set ITEM=

set TASKBAR=

set USAGE=

:: Set environment variables for PinItem.vbs switch values

:: Commemt out a line to not use a switch

:: set ITEM=/item:"%windir%System32calc.exe"

:: set ITEM=/item:"%%CSIDL_COMMON_PROGRAMS%%AccessoriesCalculator.lnk"

:: set TASKBAR=/taskbar

:: set USAGE=/?

:: Execute PinToStartMenu.vbs

echo on

:: Pin to Start Menu

:: cscript PinItem.wfs %ITEM% %USAGE%

:: Pin to Taskbar  –   None of these variations work.

cscript %SCRIPTROOT%/PinItem.vbs /item:"C:ProgramDataMicrosoftWindowsStart MenuProgramsMicrosoft OfficeMicrosoft Excel 2010.lnk" /taskbar

cscript.exe %SCRIPTROOT%/PinItem.vbs /item: "C:ProgramDataMicrosoftWindowsStart MenuProgramsMicrosoft OfficeMicrosoft PowerPoint 2010.lnk" /taskbar

cscript.exe PinItem.vbs /item: "C:ProgramDataMicrosoftWindowsStart MenuProgramsMicrosoft OfficeMicrosoft Word 2010.lnk" /taskbar

cscript PinItem.vbs /item:"C:ProgramDataMicrosoftWindowsStart MenuProgramsMicrosoft OfficeMicrosoft Outlook 2010.lnk" /taskbar

cscript PinItem.vbs /item:"C:Program FilesMicrosoft OfficeOffice1Excel.exe" /taskbar

45. Same thing with parameters/arguments? says:

Hello there.

The script works fine. Thanks for posting it.

But I´ve got a question.

Does anybody know how to pin a program with arguments / parameters (like -e) to the taskbar?

I dunno how to do that.

Cheers :- )

46. Same thing with parameters/arguments? says:

By the way:

The script actually looks like this:

on error resume next

Set objShell = CreateObject("Shell.Application")

Set objFSO = CreateObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject")

set ArgObj = wscript.Arguments

dim PfadEXE

dim PinModus

dim Sprache

dim DebugMode

Debugmode = 1

PfadEXE = argobj(0)

PinModus = argobj(1)

Sprache = argobj(2)

if DebugMode = 1 then

msgbox "-" & PfadEXE & "-   -" & PinModus & "-    -" & Sprache & "-"

end if

strlPath = PfadEXE

strFolder = objFSO.GetParentFolderName(strlPath)

strFile = objFSO.GetFileName(strlPath)

Set objFolder = objShell.Namespace(strFolder)

set objFolderItem = objFolder.ParseName(strFile)

Set colVerbs = objFolderItem.Verbs

For each itemverb in objFolderItem.verbs

'Deutsches Pinen

if Sprache = 1 Then

'pinen

if PinModus = 1 Then

If Replace(itemverb.name, "&", "") = "An Taskleiste anheften" Then itemverb.DoIt

end if

'unpinen

if PinModus = 0 Then

If Replace(itemverb.name, "&", "") = "Von Taskleiste lösen" Then itemverb.DoIt

end if

End if

'Englisches Pinen

if Sprache = 0 then

'Pinen

if PinModus = 1 then

If Replace(itemverb.name, "&", "") = "Pin to taskbar" Then itemverb.DoIt

End if

'unpinen

if PinModus = 0 then

If Replace(itemverb.name, "&", "") = "Unpin this program from taskbar" Then itemverb.DoIt

End if

end if

What do I have to add so I can give parameters / arguments?

Thanks a lot in advance.

47. Taiwan says:

Hi, Thank you for your code. But if my default environment is Japanese, "Pin to Start Menu" seems not to work. Do you have any idea?

48. Taiwan says:

I tried the script, it works. Since "Pin to Start Menu" is not using in all language. Would you please tell me how to use this script in other language? Should I provide a script for a language?

49. Jeff25 says:

Is there a way to manage the taskbar during OS Deployment via SCCM?  I see in the above comments that this solution doesn't work during SCCM OSD Deployment.  The issue I'm having is that after deployment the Internet Explorer icon on the TaskBar is defaulting to launching the 64-bit version of IE and I need to change this to launch the 32-Bit version instead.  I can't deploy to 1000 desktops and have this icon default to x64 IE.  How can I do this during the image process?  Preferably in my Build and Capture sequence.

50. OSJF2009SDL says:

At what point on my MDT task sequence do I have to add PinItem.wsf script commands?

Do I have to run PinItem.wsf before syspreping & capturing? Or do I have to run PinItem.wsf on the actual deployment task sequence?

51. os7 says:

great post.  Is there a way to Pin a folder that has the menu option on the right, basically the pinned folder would have an right arrow on the right of the name to select the submenus or programs.

thanks

52. os7 says:

Michael

is there a way to pin a shorcut to a folder but as a menu instead of a link?  I want to pin it in the start and taskbar menu that has a right arrow to select the advertised programs instead of opening the folder.

thanks

53. Thilo says:

Pinning IE9 to teh taskbar works. But if I start IE9 from startmenu the pinned taskbar icon isn't used. There comes another IE icon right of the pinned one. Does someone know why?

54. pesospesos says:

on windows 8 this works for the taskbar, but not the start screen…

55. Joe says:

This was just what I was looking for…….Thanks!

56. Mvd says:

Hello,

is there also a script available for windows 8/server 2012?

Thx

57. Simon says:

anyone able to get this script to work with .lnk-files that include "em dashes"?

thanks a lot!

58. Amit says:

Hi Michael,

Thanks for the cool script. I am trying to use your script to place icons of programs and files on User start menu. This user account is locked down, with right click context menu and explorer options removed via GPO. So using a script to deploy desired items in the user start menu is the best option.

So far, placing icons of programs works just great. How do I use your script to place a shortcut to another script or folder on the Start Menu? Is there a different CSIDL for non executable files and folders?

This is what I have so far:

'Declare variables

Dim strBBElectronicsIcon, strCalculatorIcon, strNotepadIcon, objFolder, objFolderItem, colVerbs, objShell, strFTPCleanup

'Declare constants

Const CSIDL_COMMON_PROGRAMS = &H17

Const CSIDL_PROGRAMS = &H2

'Initialize variables

strBBElectronicsIcon = "USB Server.exe"

strFTPCleanup = "Cleanup http://FTP.vbs&quot;

'strCalculatorIcon = "Calculator.lnk"

'strNotepadIcon = "notepad.exe"

'Pin to Start Menu – B&B

Set objShell = CreateObject("Shell.Application")

Set objAllUsersProgramsFolder = objShell.NameSpace(CSIDL_PROGRAMS)

strAllUsersProgramsPath = objAllUsersProgramsFolder.Self.Path

Set objFolder = objShell.Namespace("C:Program FilesB&B ElectronicsUSB Server 2")

Set objFolderItem = objFolder.ParseName("USB Server.exe")

Set colVerbs = objFolderItem.Verbs

For Each objVerb in colVerbs

If Replace(objVerb.name, "&", "") = "Pin to Start Menu" Then objVerb.DoIt

'Pin to Start Menu – folder item (this item does not work)

Set objShell = CreateObject("Shell.Application")

Set objAllUsersProgramsFolder = objShell.NameSpace(CSIDL_COMMON_PROGRAMS)

strAllUsersProgramsPath = objAllUsersProgramsFolder.Self.Path

Set objFolder = objShell.Namespace("E:UsersAMaskaraMy DocumentsService Folder4XBatchFilesCleanupFTP")

Set objFolderItem = objFolder.ParseName("Cleanup http://FTP.vbs&quot😉

Set colVerbs = objFolderItem.Verbs

For Each objVerb in colVerbs

If Replace(objVerb.name, "&", "") = "Pin to Start Menu" Then objVerb.DoIt

59. Blackforce says:

I searched all over for a reliable way to pin items to the taskbar in Windows 8 but couldn't find an easy way deploy them after the machine has been deployed. I managed in the end to create a group policy preference where it would dump the .bat file which in turn calls the pinitem.vbs script and creates them. Messy but it works.

60. Anthony says:

I just tried running the 2nd snippet of script for pinning the calculator to the task bar as a default for all new users. However when I create a new user, the calculator shortcut doesn't appear in the task bar. Am I missing something?

61. Anthony says:

Trying to run PinItem.cmd I get the error message "PinItem.wsf(2, 39) Windows Script Host:Cannot retrieve referrenced URL : ZTIUtility.vbs" What am I doing wrong, please help

62. Mohit Dangwal says:

Is there a way we can do this for every user in the machine at a single go instead of running it via Active Setup.

63. Eric says:

This script works great but does anyone have an idea on how to script the pinned items position. When pinning an item I would like it to appear right next to the start menu button.

Pingback from Pin Taskbar Items 8.1

65. Nathan says:

This worked great, awesome for putting this together. Using it on my VM's to set up all of the utilities I use and get them pinned up so I'm ready to go in much less time.

66. Adrian says:

This no longer works on Windows 10. Any ideas?

67. Mathew says:

Um, how to get this script?

68. woodrapp says:

Seems this does not work as expected in Windows 10
    Although the context menu entry "An Taskleiste anheften" is visible in the context menu, it is simply not collected by objFolderItem.Verbs.

This has been working with windows 8.1.

69. Tim says:

The script is nice but it doesn't do it for all users. What's the point? How the hell hasn't Microsoft got a tool to customize the start menu by not is beyond me.

70. Tim T. says:

I have a VBS script that's very close to this one that Pins and Unpins items to the taskbar and start menu. I've ran into a bit of a snag. One of my items has a ® in the name like ("Name® Pro.lnk") and it doesn't like it. How do I make that work?