SCCM 2007 and Microsoft Deployment Toolkit – Video Walkthrough

Are you struggling with setting up SCCM 2007 Operating System Deployment and integrating MDT? – I have created a video walkthrough that shows you how to:

• Setup the server environment for SCCM 2007 OS deployment

• Configure the SCCM 2007 Site Settings

• Configure the SCCM 2007 Computer Management Settings

• Configure the SCCM 2007 Operating System Deployment Settings

• Setup and use MDT integration with SCCM 2007

• Add a reference machine object to SCCM 2007

• Create a build and capture reference image for mass deployment using SCCM 2007

View the SCCM and MDT Video Walkthrough from the Windows Media Servers here!

View the SCCM and MDT Video Walkthrough from the TechNet Edge Media Servers here!

This post was contributed by Richard Smith a Senior Consultant with Microsoft Services, UK.

ConfigMgr 2007 and Microsoft Deployment Toolkit – Video Walkthrough Are you struggling with setting up

The link to the media file does not seem to be working.  I’ve tried in two locations and it says that the server is unavailable?

3. DeploymentGuys says:

We are investigating the issues with the media server for the webcast link – in the mean time please try coping the link from the blog entry – then opening Windows Media Player – select ALT…File..Open URL and then paste the link in. The webcast should then play correctly…

Really really awesome video…

5. Hello Douglas,

You can run the SCCM setup.exe program from an internet connected computer to download the files to a directory you specify…

setup.exe /download <DestinationPath>

Do not have spaces in the destination path.

Copy this directory to the server you are going to install SCCM. When you run setup on this machine tell it to get the files from the directory you specified rather than the internet.

6. Ben Hunter says:

Hi Ken,

Error 80070002 means file not found.

What happens if you grant the system account full control to the share?

Thanks,

Ben

7. Well what do you know in the time it took to write the comment if all magically fixed itself.

please try again,

regards,

Rich Trusson

8. Mosquat says:

Excellent demonstration – thanks for your hard work Richard

Richard,

I was introduced to your demo/presentation videos at TecED last year. I must say I was very impressed with the quality and time you have put into these. Many thanks.

Dan V.

10. Ben Hunter says:

Hi Ken,

I have seen this issue when the account you are using to import the task sequence does not have the necessary rights.

Can you check the permissions on the shares you are importing the task sequence packages into.

Thanks,

Ben

11. Hi Jonatan,

I have the same problem. Looks like that particular ZIP has got corrupted – thanks for bringing to our attention.

Richard Smith is on holiday at the moment – I’ll get him to upload it again when he gets back next week. Our apologies for any problems this is causing.

The links to streaming media appear to work though.

regards,

Rich Trusson

very very nice demonstration…Thanks

13. Nico Sienaert says:

Thanks Richard for the video.

Can we have something similar regarding a ZTI installation where data gets gathered out of the AdminCoreDB and CS.ini?

Something that is showing what is the best way to boot unknown clients and what kind security that can be applied for this. To avoid unauthorized clients will get a re-installation.

Today I use "Install Flag" in the AdminDB for this. Is this still possible?

Tnx

Nico

14. Hi Ken,

Do you ahve a TechNet or MSDN subscirption? If so you can use this to get a free support call with Microsoft PSS. The company you work for may have an agreement with PSS anyway.

This is probably going to be the best way to get a timley response and fix. Here on the blog we try to help as much as we can but sometimes we just run out of time.

Have a look here for support options for SCCM http://technet.microsoft.com/en-gb/configmgr/bb625748.aspx

As MDT is supported on SCCM this should be covered.

I think you also get one free ‘setup’ support incident per product as well. However I am not sure, as MDT is not a product and SCCM is setup, this would qualify.

Hope this helps,

Rich Trusson

15. nico says:

A very nice video guys. Congrats!

Can we have the same where we can see in depth an MDT ZTI installation where data is gathered out CS.ini and AdminCoreDB.

And what the best way is to boot via PXE for unknown clients

Tnx! Nico

16. Josh says:

Excellent demonstration, this will help allot of people who are confused about how MDT intetracts with SCCM.

I’m interested in discovering how to have SCCM or BDD deploy images to unknown computers. (Bare metal builds). Is this something that either of these products can do? I have a fully working SCCM enviroment.

Cheers,

Josh

17. Ken Thomas says:

Great video and I’m very happy to hear and see Microsoft doing the step-by-step documentation approach and quick start guides. I’m not quite ready to push out Vista even with SP1 so I’d love to see you do a video with XP (possibly SP3?).

18. Handsome Henry says:

Very nice presentation. Thank you and thank you.

19. Ken Thomas says:

I used the step-by-step solution accelerator guide for SCCM07 and when I go through the create the Task Sequence I get "Error while importing Micrsoft Deployment Toolkit Task Sequence. Details: The ConfigMgr Provider reported an error. Then the following is in the smsprov.log:

e:nts_sms_fresmssiteserversdk_providersmsprovsspbootimagepackage.cpp(2948) : Failed to read image property from the source WIM file due to error 80004005

[1714][Sun 03/23/2008 02:41:38]:

Failed to read image property from the source WIM file due to error 80004005

Please help. This seems like a wonderful product and I am desperate to see it in action!

Ken

20. Prafullkumar says:

This video is very usefull and worth.

21. smsguy says:

Very well done,

thanks

smsguy

22. Ken Thomas says:

Hi Ben – Thanks for the quick reply. I’m about to lose my mind and go back to Ghost imaging if I can’t get this figured out. So frustrating. I reloaded everything from scratch again and I still get stuck, but at a different spot. It copies the .wim image to \WDG-MDT-01Packages$Vistainstall.wim which takes a few minutes to complete. After it hits 100% I immediately get the error. In looking in the smsprov.log I show the following at this point:

(What is it not finding?) My shares all have the same perms – Everyone – READ, Admins – FULL.

[5E0][Wed 04/09/2008 19:07:27]:CExtUserContext::LeaveThread : Releasing IWbemContextPtr=7860096

[CF0][Wed 04/09/2008 19:13:53]:CExtUserContext::EnterThread : User=CORPAdministrator Caching IWbemContextPtr=7860096 in Process 0xce0 (3296)

[CF0][Wed 04/09/2008 19:13:53]:————————————————————-

[CF0][Wed 04/09/2008 19:13:53]:CExtUserContext: Context Item Name: SMSAppName

[CF0][Wed 04/09/2008 19:13:53]:CExtUserContext: Context Item String value: SMS Administrator Console

[CF0][Wed 04/09/2008 19:13:53]:————————————————————-

[CF0][Wed 04/09/2008 19:13:53]:CExtUserContext: Context Item Name: MachineName

[CF0][Wed 04/09/2008 19:13:53]:CExtUserContext: Context Item String value: WDG-MDT-01

[CF0][Wed 04/09/2008 19:13:53]:————————————————————-

[CF0][Wed 04/09/2008 19:13:53]:CExtUserContext: Context Item Name: UserName

[CF0][Wed 04/09/2008 19:13:53]:CExtUserContext: Context Item String value: CORPAdministrator

[CF0][Wed 04/09/2008 19:13:53]:————————————————————-

[CF0][Wed 04/09/2008 19:13:53]:CExtUserContext: Context Item Name: ApplicationName

[CF0][Wed 04/09/2008 19:13:53]:CExtUserContext: Context Item String value: Microsoft.ConfigurationManagement.dll

[CF0][Wed 04/09/2008 19:13:53]:————————————————————-

[CF0][Wed 04/09/2008 19:13:53]:CExtUserContext: Context Item Name: ApplicationVersion

[CF0][Wed 04/09/2008 19:13:53]:CExtUserContext: Context Item String value: 4.0.6000.0

[CF0][Wed 04/09/2008 19:13:53]:————————————————————-

[CF0][Wed 04/09/2008 19:13:53]:CExtUserContext: Context Item Name: LocaleID

[CF0][Wed 04/09/2008 19:13:53]:CExtUserContext: Context Item String value: MSx409

[CF0][Wed 04/09/2008 19:13:53]:————————————————————-

[CF0][Wed 04/09/2008 19:13:53]:CExtUserContext: Context Item Name: SessionHandle

[CF0][Wed 04/09/2008 19:13:53]:CExtUserContext: Context Item String value: {9775f370-d603-4afc-bba7-4048a3f1b2f6}

[CF0][Wed 04/09/2008 19:13:53]:CExtUserContext : Set ThreadLocaleID OK to: 1033

[CF0][Wed 04/09/2008 19:13:53]:CSspClassManager::PreCallAction, dbname=SMS_NYC

[CF0][Wed 04/09/2008 19:13:53]:PutInstanceAsync SMS_OperatingSystemInstallPackage

[CF0][Wed 04/09/2008 19:13:53]:CExtProviderClassObject::DoPutInstanceInstance

[CF0][Wed 04/09/2008 19:13:53]:CSspClassManager::ReadAccountFromRegistry, Getting NT Service account…

[CF0][Wed 04/09/2008 19:13:53]:Using SMS SERVICE Account for impersonation

[CF0][Wed 04/09/2008 19:13:53]:SMS ACCOUNT WORK SUCCEEDED

[CF0][Wed 04/09/2008 19:13:53]:GetStorage : doing Loggin due to aged out context

[CF0][Wed 04/09/2008 19:13:53]: — Updating NT User Group membership.

[CF0][Wed 04/09/2008 19:13:53]:************ WBEM Missing property ImageDiskLayout

[CF0][Wed 04/09/2008 19:13:54]:

e:nts_sms_fresmssiteserversdk_providersmsprovsspimagepackage.cpp(948) : Failed to get the image property from the source WIM file due to error 80070002

[CF0][Wed 04/09/2008 19:13:54]:

Failed to get the image property from the source WIM file due to error 80070002

[CF0][Wed 04/09/2008 19:13:54]:CExtUserContext::LeaveThread : Releasing IWbemContextPtr=7860096

[5E0][Wed 04/09/2008 19:14:19]:CExtUserContext::EnterThread : User=CORPAdministrator Caching IWbemContextPtr=7860096 in Process 0xce0 (3296)

[5E0][Wed 04/09/2008 19:14:19]:————————————————————-

[5E0][Wed 04/09/2008 19:14:19]:CExtUserContext: Context Item Name: SMSAppName

[5E0][Wed 04/09/2008 19:14:19]:CExtUserContext: Context Item String value: SMS Administrator Console

[5E0][Wed 04/09/2008 19:14:19]:————————————————————-

[5E0][Wed 04/09/2008 19:14:19]:CExtUserContext: Context Item Name: MachineName

[5E0][Wed 04/09/2008 19:14:19]:CExtUserContext: Context Item String value: WDG-MDT-01

[5E0][Wed 04/09/2008 19:14:19]:————————————————————-

[5E0][Wed 04/09/2008 19:14:19]:CExtUserContext: Context Item Name: UserName

[5E0][Wed 04/09/2008 19:14:19]:CExtUserContext: Context Item String value: CORPAdministrator

[5E0][Wed 04/09/2008 19:14:19]:————————————————————-

[5E0][Wed 04/09/2008 19:14:19]:CExtUserContext: Context Item Name: ApplicationName

[5E0][Wed 04/09/2008 19:14:19]:CExtUserContext: Context Item String value: Microsoft.ConfigurationManagement.dll

[5E0][Wed 04/09/2008 19:14:19]:————————————————————-

[5E0][Wed 04/09/2008 19:14:19]:CExtUserContext: Context Item Name: ApplicationVersion

[5E0][Wed 04/09/2008 19:14:19]:CExtUserContext: Context Item String value: 4.0.6000.0

[5E0][Wed 04/09/2008 19:14:19]:————————————————————-

[5E0][Wed 04/09/2008 19:14:19]:CExtUserContext: Context Item Name: LocaleID

[5E0][Wed 04/09/2008 19:14:19]:CExtUserContext: Context Item String value: MSx409

[5E0][Wed 04/09/2008 19:14:19]:————————————————————-

[5E0][Wed 04/09/2008 19:14:19]:CExtUserContext: Context Item Name: SessionHandle

[5E0][Wed 04/09/2008 19:14:19]:CExtUserContext: Context Item String value: {9775f370-d603-4afc-bba7-4048a3f1b2f6}

[5E0][Wed 04/09/2008 19:14:19]:CExtUserContext : Set ThreadLocaleID OK to: 1033

[5E0][Wed 04/09/2008 19:14:19]:CSspClassManager::PreCallAction, dbname=SMS_NYC

[5E0][Wed 04/09/2008 19:14:19]:User Context: CORPAdministrator

[5E0][Wed 04/09/2008 19:14:19]:GetObjectAsync : SMS_OperatingSystemInstallPackage.PackageID=""

[5E0][Wed 04/09/2008 19:14:19]:Requested class =SMS_OperatingSystemInstallPackage

[5E0][Wed 04/09/2008 19:14:19]:Requested num keys=1

[5E0][Wed 04/09/2008 19:14:19]:CSspClassManager::ReadAccountFromRegistry, Getting NT Service account…

[5E0][Wed 04/09/2008 19:14:19]:Using SMS SERVICE Account for impersonation

[5E0][Wed 04/09/2008 19:14:19]:SMS ACCOUNT WORK SUCCEEDED

[5E0][Wed 04/09/2008 19:14:19]:

e:nts_sms_fresmssiteserversdk_providersmsprovSspInterface.h(1151) : Error retrieving object PackageID=

[5E0][Wed 04/09/2008 19:14:19]:

Error retrieving object PackageID=

23. Ken Thomas says:

Thanks again Ben. I really wish I knew what file it was trying to find. I gave SYSTEM full control. I even gave EVERYONE full rights to all drives and still get the same error at the same spot after copying the install.wim.

24. Jonatan says:

Hi,

I can’t donwload that file. Any idea?

25. Ken Thomas says:

Almost a month and I still can’t get this to work. Is this product supported by Microsoft? If I call Professional Support Services would they be able to diagnose my problem? Can anyone offer a consultant that would work on this with me?

26. Ken Thomas says:

Thanks Rich –  I have an EA with Microsoft. I’ll try that route. I was hoping to find a quick answer. It’s now going on 2 months and still unable to create the results of a "Solution Accelerator" by following it step-by-step. I would hate to see the results if it wasn’t an "accelerator". Do they have people test their steps in their documentation. Am I the only one who has tried using this documenation?

27. noureddine says:

Really a great and an amazing work delivered.

Thanks a lot.

28. James B. says:

"Failed to get the image property from the source WIM file due to error 80070002"

Were you ever able to resolve this issue?

29. fizaro says:

I get the same error!

Please help!

30. sharath says:

Thanks a lot this is an excellent video

31. Zulfiqar Ahmad says:

Hi ben,

I was struggling with this problem since two days and just found that the problem is with permissions. It does not matter what account you are using. The system use the NT AuthoritySystem account for local system shares. If you add NT AuthoritySystem account in all your shares and give it full access, everything work fine. Hope this help.

Cheers

32. BT says:

GREAT VIDEO!!!

33. Uy Chu says:

Can you please check the downloadable files.  When I download them, it tells me that the files are corrupt or is empty.

Thanks,

-Uy

34. thomas says:

I cant see why you are making this so easy because I have tried to make it work for tree weeks now, but cant fifure how to deploy the xp os to the client computer.

35. douglas brush says:

Hello,

I am installing sccm 2007 on a server that is not connected to the internet. Is there a way to do this as it seems like it tries to download some stuff when I try installing it.

I am also using the eval version as I am a tester before my company purchases it.

36. aenagy says:

Very nice video. Lots of usefull information without a sales pitch. I have two questions:

1) How is this process different for customers that need to continue supporting Windows XP and Windows Server 2003?

2) Can you create a boot image based on Windows PE 1.x? This could be really important for customers who have hardware with only Windows XP/Server 2003 drivers but no Windows Vista/Server 2008 drivers.

3) If you create a BUILD/CAPTURE solution (WIM file, tasks, etc) in MDT, can all of this be imported into SCCM, or do you need to re-create the BUILD/CAPTURE in SCCM?

4) I’m still a little fuzzy on the relationship between MDT and SCCM. Am I correct that MDT extends and enhances the basic functionality of SCCM? What happens as MDT continues to evolve/change (e.g. MDT 2010)? If an older/existing version of MDT has been integrated and a newer version of MDT has been released, does the first version of MDT need to be un-installed/un-integrated?

Thanks.

37. Shailesh A says:

Please can i get document on OSD

Shailesh.agarwals@hotmail.com

38. Neil says:

Hi the video is really good but to follow it while configuring my SCCM server I would need to download the video so I can pause and skip to sections easily.

Can you please fix the link to download the video from your skydrive?

Thanks

39. Fabian says:

Great demonstration. I tried the same process having capturing an XP image but get an error when trying the drivers to the package. Everything else seems to work fine. Of course with no drivers PXE boot becomes a problem. No nic drivers

40. Sohail Chaudhry says:

Outstanding demonstration. I learned a big deal out of it.

Thanks a lot Richard

41. Anthony Hajeid says:

Outstanding video!!!  Thanks Richard.  You are very thorough.

42. MS says:

Thanks a lot for that amazing video!!

If Microsoft would have done this they could safe about 50% of meaningless support pages…

43. skkcl says:

It is great with such quality and content..almost replaces a training manual…

44. Jeramy T says:

Great demo, wish i could download it because i refrence this video alot

45. HELEN says:

Thank you sooo much.

I have really struggled with the SCCM documentation. But this is Brillaint!

46. leeroy says:

Very nice, any way you could post this as downloadable?  My Bandwidth sucks

47. Talking says:

can anyone help me to how to deploy OS through SCCM?

Many Thanks

H.s.s

48. conagra says:

In a tiered environment, where is the best place to integrate SCCM with MDT – central site, child primary site, secondary site? Thanks in advance.

49. ML49448 says:

How do I removed unwated SCCM clients

50. Miguel Brasseur from Unisys says:

Thanks for this useful demonstration!

51. jnr49 says:

I would like to thank  you Richard  for this , would it be possible to intergrate the DirectAccess config  with certificate setup into on video

austenjnr@hotmail.com

52. Rob says:

Thank you for the video this was Exteramly helpful

Kind Regards

Rob

53. Vanna Reddy says:

Nice Video

54. Dave says:

Awesome! DO you have anything updated to MDT 2010 Update 1 and SCM 2007 R3 SP2?

55. alan says:

Great video. It shows exactly what I needed.

56. mike says:

rich – thanks for having the demo available – just don't ask me to repeat it.. :O)

57. tom says:

Excelent and very impresive video presentation!! Good work!!

Thank you Richard.