What a Day! An Essay by Dan Woodman

This is going to be different from my usual blog post.  I’m going back to my roots as an English major to craft something I don’t get to write very often (anymore): an essay.  This isn’t a post about how a product or technology can help you in your business, but rather a personal observation of what I saw happen today (though it naturally involves technology — I’m still a geek).  Enjoy.  (And if an essay isn’t your thing, rest assured that I will be back to normal for my next post.)  🙂

What I saw happen today was unbelievable.  And, you may be thinking I am about to dump my political affiliations on all of you, but that is not the case.  This is not an essay about who won the 44th presidential election.  I don’t plan to discuss who won nor why.  Rather, I am speaking (as the geek that I am) about the part technology played in my own personal experience today.  You may be familiar with the concept of social networking.  Today, I saw it in an entirely new light.  Up to this point in my life, social networking hasn’t really amazed me.  I understand the concept of being able to connect with old friends and have used various social networking sites for that very purpose.  I have connected with old friends with whom I had lost touch (and, in some cases, I thought would never get to talk to again).  I’ve passed a few messages back and forth with those old friends, seen pictures of their families, and even made plans, in some cases, to get together to catch up in person.  But today, my whole outlook on social networking changed forever.

Those of you who have seen me speak know that I am a passionate person.  (Anyone who gets as worked up as I do talking about SharePoint clearly has some passion.)  I carry that through to most aspects of my life, including politics.  (I know — a shock, right?)  I typically support a candidate fairly passionately and am ready to discuss (read: argue) politics at the drop of a hat.  I watch the election results and eagerly await the results.  (The first election I remember watching intently, biting my nails and hoping, was when my now-best friend’s uncle was running for the office of our local sheriff.  I was probably 10 or 12.  I’ve been hooked ever since.)  And, I have seen things change since my first election night.

In 2000, I remember thinking how interesting it was that I was connected to my friends by e-mail and instant messaging.  "How could things get better," I remember thinking.  "I’m connected with all of these individuals in real time (provided they are online, of course.)"  In 2004, I remember discussing live election results in all those same ways and even adding in text messages which were flying back and forth during the results, removing the requirement of them sitting in front of their PC.  But this year, I experienced a connection with my friends in a whole new way thanks to "web 2.0" and the concept of social networking.

I have a Facebook account, as do many of my friends and co-workers (who are often one and the same).  It was intriguing to me to see how many of them were online and posting on Facebook as the election results were coming in.  Unlike IM, e-mail, texts or even phone calls, I was connected to all my friends at once, seeing live updates from them about their thoughts and feelings regarding the election.  And it wasn’t a one-way street.  Leveraging the power of Facebook and the ability to comment on other people’s comments, I saw actual discussions happening right on my screen in real time from a host of people using a variety of devices to connect.  I saw updates come in from mobile devices as well as PCs of all shapes and sizes.  I saw comments from people who were sitting with their families, out on the town, even some who were in Grant Park, hoping that their candidate emerged victorious.  And everyone was participating.  Status alerts were pouring in via e-mail, but I didn’t need the alerts.  I was glued to my Facebook page, reading the things happening around me.  (During most of this time, I was using my own mobile device to watch the events unfold and even post my own comments.  I had to pull over more than once on my drive to Cincinnati to put in my own two cents!)

The word "awesome" is thrown around on a daily basis as a slang word meaning "good."  But, Dictionary.com defines "awesome" as an adjective meaning:

inspiring awe: an awesome sight.

showing or characterized by awe.

And, to understand fully what that means, we need to understand the meaning of the word, "awe," which is defined by Dictionary.com as a noun meaning:

an overwhelming feeling of reverence, admiration, fear, etc., produced by that which is grand, sublime, extremely powerful, or the like.

That is what I saw today — something which inspired an overwhelming feeling of admiration in me.  I saw people connected today in a way which I have never really seen before.  While I use Facebook on a regular basis, I had never seen the power of connecting people come through as I did today.  Whichever way the election had gone today, it would have been history-making:  the first African-American president or the first woman to be elected vice-president.  And, quite frankly, I have friends and family on both sides of the aisle.  But watching them all come together virtually, spanning the vast geographic distances which separate us on a daily basis was awesome.  It wasn’t about name calling, finger pointing, or "my party better get elected."  Instead, the motivations I saw amongst my friends was, "I’m glad we’re all together, even if only virtually, on this historic occasion."

I think, as a geek working for a very forward-thinking software company, I am so immersed in technology that I sometimes forget how incredible it is and what a tremendous impact it has on our daily lives.  I heard President-Elect Obama discuss Ann Nixon Cooper during his acceptance speech.  He talked about this 106 year-old Atlanta woman and all the change she has seen in her life.  I began thinking about the changes I have seen in my own life.  We may not yet be flying jetpacks or eating Soylent Green (fortunately), but things have changed so much.

I began working for a small Internet Service provider in Bloomington, IL in 1996.  I remember the rather humble beginnings of what would eventually grow up to be the public Internet.  (And I am referring to things like the introduction of the World Wide Web and GUI-based browsers like Mosaic, rather than the actual beginnings of the Internet in its ARPAnet days.  I’m not that old.)  I can still tell you some of the websites I used to visit in those days, before such things as wikipedia.org, Live.com, and even Weather.com (all sites I visit on a regular basis now).  I’ve seen a lot change in the past 12 years.  But tonight, I took some time to appreciate what those changes really mean.  The fact is, we live in an incredible world that is becoming more amazing every day.  Technology has become such a part of our lives (for better and worse) that it seems we don’t always stop to "smell the flowers" and realize how it has changed the way we interact.

I’m certainly looking forward to the next 12 years of innovation and hope that I can maintain this sense of wonderment as the Internet continues to change forever the way in which we live and interact.

1. Latest Government Jobs 2015 says:

thanks for the Amazing information in the post

http://egovtjobs.in"> Latest Government Jobs 2015

2. Hetal says:

thanks for sharing amazing information.

3. Tim says:

this is an awesome post and i loved reading something which is different form all the regular stuff.

4. Jack says:

well written and i just love whatever you write.

5. Akansha Shetye says:

Nice article.Keep up the good work.

6. Kevin says:

I agree with each and every point you mentioned in this article.

Also read: http://techcrunch.com/startups/ and

7. Param says:

I read your blog post this is really good and interesting. There is lots of knowledge to share.

8. SSC Syllabus says:

Good And nice educating article.

9. Jokes for whatsapp says:

your article has very good

10. whatsapp messeges says:

your article is very nice http://whatsappmessages.net/

11. MeganZoe says:

See The Best Whatsapp Status: http://whatsapphubstatus.com/

12. sameer0207 says:

nice and really relevant post, thanks for this relevant post.
    http://www.iresumetemplates.com/2015/09/resume.html" rel="no follow">college resume template

13. whatsapp status in hindi says:

I read your post, it was very good to us in knowledge

14. Whatsapp status says:

nice this article http://whatsappmessages.net/

15. whatsapp viral script says:

Whatsapp viral script is quite famous among the people because of its ease to use. The application supports free chat among groups internationally just with an internet connection.

16. Sai says:

Good platform where candidates willing to apply for http://sssjobs.in/">govt jobs, board exams, university exams in an easy online way. Great and thanx…

17. Sai says:

18. Boss Yahoomail says:

Yahoomail Provides its users with 1 terabyte storage space. Messages, medias and other file attachments can be sent over the network.

Yahoomail can be said to have the highest mail security for a free email service.

The following questions have been found to be the most Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) and challenges faced by many in the course of accessing yahoomail comfortably. We have made out step by step guides to solve all your lingering yahoomail problems and challenges
    Read more:

19. Chris says:

Read more:

20. Bessie says:

Really appreciate you sharing this blog post.Really looking forward to read more. Really Great.

21. Yahoomail says:

I have never paid for any anti virus. But i recently paid for one at this yahoomail website

22. Chandan says:

23. Green says:

Thanks a lot for the blog article.Really thank you! Want more.

24. Chris says:

Mapquest Driving Directions allow users to create personalized maps and as well saving them in My Maps feature. Personalized map from http://www.mapquest.com now… for more details, follow the link below

25. wow says:

hey its just awesome blog http://quotesden.net/

26. LuvChouhan says:

Great Blog Post, Thanks for Sharing this.

27. Alina Angel says:

I love the way you explain your ideas. You can check my http://whatsappstatushut.com">Ideas about whatsapp Status I hope you will love these ideas

28. Pratik1 says:

Best whatsapp status-
    Best Latest Collection of whatsapp status and Dp collection at-

Funny Whatsapp status-
    Great collection of Funny and humorous whwatsapp status images and status quotes at-http://www.statuswhatsapp.co.in/funny/funny-whatsapp-status/

Cool whatsapp status-
    Cool collection of whatsapp status and Images DP collection at-

Inpsirational/Motivational Whatsapp status-
    Get Motivated with our best collection of inpsirational and motivational whatsapp status quotes at-

Friendship whatsapp status-
    Express your love and gratitude towards your friends with our great friendship whatsapp status-

Exam status for whatsapp-
    Keep out of disturbance during exam with best exam days whatsapp status-

Happy Birthday whatsapp status-
    Wish someone on their special day with our special birthday collection-

Emotional/heart touching whatsapp status-

Holy Bible quotes-Get best bible quotes and holy verses at

success whatsapp status-
    Express your success through our success whatsapp status collection-

cute whatsapp status-
    Get all cool collection of whatsapp status only at-http://www.statuswhatsapp.co.in/life/cool-whatsapp-status/

Angry whatsapp status-expressing anger,try in in our way and say it through our collection of whatsapp status-

love whatsapp status-express love through-

29. munesh Singh says:

Your Article is very interesting. thanks for share.