Setting Up Pop and SMTP Internet Email Account Settings for Outlook 2010

Setting up the POP SMTP settings for your ID is not difficult but it does not use “default” settings so making this post to show you how to do it and give you the details of what the settings should be.

This post will walk through all the settings you will need.  I start with just telling you all the settings then we will drill down into how to put in the information. I give directions to do it using Windows Control panel as well as how to do it from inside outlook. The email servers and settings are:

• Incoming:
    • Outgoing:
    • User Name is your entire email address eg. :
    • password: YourPassword
    • You need to turn on “My outgoing server (SMTP) requires authentication
    • Incoming Server Port: 995  (Requires SSL)
    • Outgoing Server Port: 25  (Requires TLS)

From Windows you could get to the add account screen from Control Panel. You may have to change your view to Large icons to see all the Application icons.

Click to open Mail or Mail (32-bit) icon

Now Click Email Accounts….

From the E-mail tab click the New… button

Select E-mail Account and then click Next

On the Add New Account screen you will select Manually configure server settings or additional server types then click Next

On the next page of the wizard select Internet E-mail and then click Next

Now we need to fill out all of the information…

• Your Name: This is the display name (what people will see in the from field when you send them a message)
  • E-mail Address: This is the full email address eg:  it is NOT case sensitive)
  • Incoming:
  • Outgoing:
  • User Name is your entire email address eg. : (this is the entire email address)
  • password: YourPassword  Thie password is case sensitive (You must know what your password is and enter it here)
  • You need to turn on “My outgoing server (SMTP) requires authentication
  • Turn on Remember Password so it does not bug you every time you login to mail

We are NOT DONE!!!!  There are some non-default values we need to put in.  They are hidden under the More Settings … Button

Click  More Settings …

On this screen you can change the Mail Account if you want.  It should default to your email address which is fine.  (People you send messages to will NOT see this)

Click On the Outgoing Server tab

You will need to turn on My outgoing server (SMTP) requires authentication.

Make sure Use same settings as my incoming mail server is also selected

This is where the non-standard stuff comes in…

Click on the Advanced tab and fill out the top of the form.

• Incoming Server POP3: 995
  • Turn on This server requires and encrypted connection (SSL)
  • Outgoing Server (SMTP): 25
  • Use The following type of encrypted connection should be TLS

The rest of the options on this screen are optional so you can just Click OK

You should now be back at the main screen.

Click Test Account Settings …

You are done … Just click Close and and Next if there are not any errors.  If there are errors, go back and check the settings.

Once you finish, you will get a finish screen.

If you want to know how to get to configure email accounts from inside outlook 2010 (instead of from control panel)  Here you go…

Click the File menu then click Info Then click on Account Settings – then Account Settings

To get off the file menu and the “Back Stage” just click another menu option like Home or click the File menu again

After doing the above mentioned settings. The moment I click on nTest Settings, I am getting this message: Send test e-mail message: Your server does not support the connection encryption type you have specified. Try changing the encryption method. Contact your mail server administrator or Internet service provider (ISP) for additional assistance.

2. Lynn says:

I can't send out mail through Outlook because I forgot my password. How do i reset it?

3. Stephen Farmer says:

You have the outgoing port wrong I had to go to another site to get the correct port which is 587. All other instructions are correct though.

4. obiee training says:

interesting piece of information, I had come to know about your web-page from my friend pramod, jaipur,i have read atleast eight posts of yours by now, and let me tell you, your blog gives the best and the most interesting information. This is just the kind of information that i had been looking for, i'm already your rss reader now and i would regularly watch out for the new posts, once again hats off to you! Thanks a million once again, Regards, <a href="…/"&gt; obiee training in hyderebad </a>

5. Robert says:

After hours of searching the net this is the only walkthrough that solved my Outlook 2007 sync problems… the hotmail connector addon didn't work and this did… 5stars 🙂

6. Krishna says:

It's working fine. this is cool Article thanks you so muchhhhhhh

7. JoeMuc2013 says:

Very helpful article, thanks a lot!

8. Ganesh says:

my acc. is not show mails on my moniles after setup outlook.

9. RAVI SEHRAWAT says:

10. Avneet says:

11. Stephen Rice says:

I am told there is an error and that my account has been closed. Can you help?
    My email address is;

12. Pat says:

Thanks, Stephen. You’re “port” info solved my problem!

13. Carmen says:

Im having problems to log in. The system is requesting a verification code. I cant get it because i have a new number. How can I change my old number to my new number?

14. Noelle Hess says:

Hi there, not sure if it makes a difference which country I am from – I am not from America – so will the Incoming/outgoing numbers change depending on where you live? ie, the defaults say 110/587. but your recommendation is 995/25. My account is not working
    – however, I found this page to be extremely useful and actually aided me in fully completing the relevant sections. I keep getting the box appearing asking for my user name and password and to remember the password each time I try and run a test. Please help!

15. JOHNSON BROWN says:

Hi, my name is Johnson from Accra Ghana, please i want to create email. but when i try to open, i see only & please help me or show me how to create the

16. pankaj says:

17. sundeep says:

I get the same error as Noelle. Keeps asking for the password. I can login with the same password in a browser. Trying this out in India.

18. Todd says:

trying to set up email threw out look and I need the Please contact outlook and get the incoming and outgoing mail server and port number respectively.

19. Craig Dame says:

I forgot my password. How do I find it or change it???

20. Marion Jordan says:

My emails disappear from September back.can my phone only store a certain number of emails?

21. Caroline deGavre says:

Hi, very helpful thank you. Will this work on my new IPad mini? I would appreciate any help.

22. annette says:

Cant get it to work on my ipad, iphone – very frustrated even outlook being difficult

23. Diane says:

I have managed to lose my password on my iPad so I cannot send email, though i can receive it. My iPhone and my computer are working fine both in sending and receiving — I changed my password for Outlook but won’t accept that new password in
    the smtp password box???? How can I change the smpt password?

24. Witse says:

Helped a lot. Thank you 🙂

25. Michelle says:

Thanks for the help! First how-to that actually worked!!

26. azim says:

UNLIMITED SMTP / Email Relays? It’s 100% Cheap and Inbox Delivery.

Visit: at Just $29/month.

– You can send Unlimited Email without Hourly and Daily limits.
    – Works with Any Email Sender software like Interspire, Sendblaster, Atomic mass mailer..,
    – 99% Inbox Delivery and Real time.
    – Simple and Easy.

In other network, they are charging +1000 USD for unlimited emails, But in is cheap.

SEND UNLIMITED Marketing Emails? It’s 100% cheap and Inbox Delivery.

Visit: at Just $29/month.

– You Can SEND UNLIMITED EMAILS without limits.
    – Custom HTML editor, Web forms, Follow ups, and Auto-Responder.
    – 99% Inbox Delivery and Real time.
    – Simple and Easy.

In other network, they are charging +1000 USD for unlimited email / contact. But in is cheap.

27. paul says:

I have live email address. I can send and receive emails on my phone. Via my iPad I can receive but not send. The server details are, uses ssl port 587. The password is also correct, any ideas ?

28. alang200 says:

I recently re-installed my operating system, Vista, I first backed up all data. I re-installed Live Mail and it worked fine. I then imported ALL my MWL folders from the back-up and I am now left with problems regarding my default e-mail account.

1. I now have duplicate boxes and folders eg I now have a junk email and a junk E-mail section. Sent email and sent E-mail etc

2. Any e-mails I now send never get saved in either of the sent box.

3. some emails go into one of the junk box and half go into the other

4. I can now no longer delete e-mails from my in-box with either the right click or the ribbon options

I am sure the fault stems from reloading the backups and over-writing things so, basically, is there a restore point or a install default option that will take me back to just the working boxes I should have. I tried deleting windows essentials and reloading
    it but it just reloaded with all the faults above.

Any advice or knowledge anyone has, would be much appreciated

29. mircea says:

tks a lot !

30. Akbar Ali says:

Unlimited Email Marketing / SMTP at very low cost $29/mo*.
    Import Unlimited contacts and send unlimited email campaigns.

Take a Free Trial for 7 days.

Our Guaranteed:

– Send Unlimited Emails
    – No Hourly or per day limits
    – 7/10 Inbox Delivery on Leading Mail Receivers
    – 100% Inbox Delivery on Domain Mail Receivers
    – 99% On-time Delivery, No Delay on Delivery.
    – 99.9% Uptime, WhiteList Server.

Our Features:

Our Email Marketer is a true all-in-one communications platform and includes everything you need to create, send and track professional HTML Emails, autoresponders, surveys, events, contacts and more. It is fully-featured Email marketing service.

– Send Unlimited Emails
    – Unlimited AutoResponders
    – Completely browser based
    – No Hourly or per day limits
    – Full WYSIWYG campaign editing
    – Easily import/export contacts
    – No list size limits or fees
    – Built-in CRM functionality
    – Google Calendar integration
    – Split test Email campaigns
    – Powerful XML-based API
    – Powerful, automated triggers
    – Full campaign statistics
    – Google Analytics integration
    – Surveys and feedback forms
    – Custom fields for personalization
    – and more features.

Offer: $29/month | Take a Free Trial for 7 days.

31. C P SHAH says:

32. i am getting account testing failed says:

I have applied all the instructions as mentioned by you but still I am not able to see the success.
    Vijay Kanoje
    Vijay Kanoje

33. T Singh says:

I could not send either. I had to correct smtp port to 587 (Thanks to Stephen Farmer). All other instructions are correct though. Thanks to IT Pro Guru.

34. Beata says:

Stil doesn’t work. Can’t connect!

35. lucy says:

Great post from your hands again. I loved the complete article.
    By the way nice writing style you have. I never felt like boring while reading this article.

I will come back & read all your posts soon. Regards, Lucy.

36. Darlene Rinas says:

I forgot my password and I am not receiving my email
    My email is asking for my password

37. show box says:

Thanks for the great info. I really loved this. I would like to apprentice at the same time as you amend your web site, how could i subscribe for a blog site?
    For more info on showbox please refer below sites:
    Latest version of Showbox App download for all android smart phones and tablets. – It’s just 2 MB file you can easily get it on your android device without much trouble. Showbox app was well designed application for android to watch movies and TV shows, Cartoons and many more such things on your smartphone.
    For showbox on iOS (iPhone/iPad), please read below articles:
    Showbox for PC articles:
    There are countless for PC clients as it is essentially easy to understand, simple to introduce, gives continuous administration, effectively reasonable. it is accessible at completely free of expense i.e., there will be no establishment charges and after establishment
    it doesn’t charge cash for watching films and recordings. Not simply watching, it likewise offers alternative to download recordings and motion pictures. The accompanying are the strides that are to be taken after to introduce Showbox application on Android. The above
    all else thing to be done is, go to the Security Settings on your Android telephone, Scroll down and tap on ‘Obscure sources’.
    Movie Box, an esteemed movies application in which you can find stacks of programs and films. The guide is given here to download Movie Box app to Android and to Apple iOS 9.0.2, iOS 8.4/8.3 and also for the lower versions without Jailbreak.
    Please do login to Showbox application with the help of Ymail. You can login in Ymail from here –
    Sign Up & Do registration for latest movies on Showbox application

38. Juan says:

One would think that using your OUTLOOK.COM account in OUTLOOK would be pretty much straight forward but not at all. These idiots can’t even get that right, no wonder they loose market share so quickly.

39. kate4 says:

I have forgotten passwords for out going and incoming servers how do I reset?