Configuration Manager 2007 R3 provides a set of tools that enable the site administrator to manage and monitor the power consumption of computers in the enterprise. Configuration Manager 2007 R3 features improvements to operating system deployment for pre-staging boot image and .wim files. Configuration Manager 2007 R3 introduces Active Directory delta discovery, dynamic collection evaluation and administrator console improvements that improve the scale and performance of Configuration Manager 2007.
The following features are new to Configuration Manager 2007 R3.
- Power Management: Provides a set of tools that enable the site administrator to configure standard Windows power settings across computers and monitor power consumption and computer activity.
- Operating System Deployment Improvements: Provides pre-staging of boot images and Windows Imaging Format (.wim) files on new computers that enables the administrator to apply a task sequence to the device that can use the pre-staged media.
- Dynamic Collection Evaluation: Enables you to rapidly evaluate a collection membership by adding only newly discovered resources.
- Active Directory Delta Discovery: Performs an intermediate discovery cycle that adds only new resources to the Configuration Manager 2007 database.
- Simplified Resource Management: Enables you to search for and add resources to a specified collection.
- Desired Configuration Management: Enables you to create a collection of compliant or noncompliant computers in desired configuration management.
- Higher Number of Supported Clients Per Hierarchy: Configuration Manager 2007 R3 supports up to 300,000 clients per hierarchy when it uses the default settings for all Configuration Manager 2007 features. This increase in supported clients is the result of improvements to the Active Directory synchronization and Collection Evaluation processes
System Center Configuration Manager 2007 is a proven choice for organizations of all sizes to comprehensively assess, deploy and update servers, clients and devices across physical, virtual, distributed and mobile environments. Now with Configuration Manager 2007 R3, IT organizations get additional tools to help them enable Green IT. By adding the ability to centrally monitor and control the power consumption of Windows clients, Configuration Manager R3 can help organizations decrease their carbon footprint and potentially help them realize significant cost savings on energy bills and reduce their overall environmental impact. It also works with the robust power management capabilities built into Windows 7, giving you better control over the power management configurations of your Windows 7 clients.
Enhanced scale and performance capabilities in R3 make discovery of new devices or changes to existing managed devices faster and increases the efficiency of policy processing and software distribution. For customers who want to manage mobile devices, Configuration Manager R3 will include the licenses for System Center Mobile Device Manager. This lets administrators run comprehensive asset inventories, deploy software, manage settings, and enforce password policies for Windows Mobile devices.
- Supported Operating Systems:Windows Server 2003 R2 Standard Edition (32-bit x86);Windows Server 2003 Service Pack 2;Windows Server 2003 Service Pack 2 x64 Edition;Windows Server 2003, Enterprise Edition (32-bit x86);Windows Server 2003, Enterprise x64 Edition;Windows Server 2003, Standard Edition (32-bit x86);Windows Server 2003, Standard x64 Edition;Windows Server 2008;Windows Server 2008 Datacenter;Windows Server 2008 Enterprise;Windows Server 2008 R2;Windows Server 2008 R2 Datacenter;Windows Server 2008 R2 Enterprise;Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1;Windows Server 2008 R2 Standard;Windows Server 2008 Service Pack 2;Windows Vista Business;Windows Vista Enterprise 64-bit edition;Windows Vista Service Pack 1;Windows Vista Service Pack 2;Windows Vista Ultimate;Windows XP Service Pack 3
- Please see Supported Configurations for detailed requirements
- Other Software: System Center Configuration Manager 2007 SP2.
- Please Note: SC Configuration Manager 2007 R3 Evaluation will only install on the System Center Configuration Manager SP2 Evaluation product.