IT Pro Top FAQs –June 08

Q) How do I downgrade?
A) As an end user you have the right to downgrade as set out in your Software Licence Terms.

Example: You’re buying a new computer system and it needs to run the same operating system as your existing 10 systems — Windows XP Professional. Pre-installed Windows Vista Business and Windows Vista Ultimate both include downgrade rights to Windows XP Professional.

You need to source your own media which should be a legally licensed version (bought as either boxed or pre-installed software, or through a Volume Licensing agreement). You don’t need to have one set of Windows XP Professional media for each PC you are downgrading because you have legitimate full operating system licences for Windows Vista Business/Ultimate, which provides you the right to downgrade. You can then run Windows XP Professional until you are ready to upgrade the system to Windows Vista Business/Ultimate—when you would already be licensed.

When you downgrade Windows Vista Business and Ultimate as set out in your Software Licence Terms and you use both Windows XP media and the associated product key that was previously activated you need to activate via the phone only, 0800 0188 354, Once confirmed that you have a valid Vista Business or Ultimate licence, the Customer Service Representative will help you activate your software.

Q) How do I license Microsoft Office SharePoint Server 2007 to allow internal employees to access my intranet portal?
A) A User or Device Client Access Licence (CAL) is needed to access instances of the server software on your licensed servers; in this case Office SharePoint Server 2007 Standard CALs. Depending on the functionality you need, you may also want to buy Office SharePoint Server 2007 Enterprise CALs. These CALs add rights for you to use the line of business data integration and search, business intelligence including performance management dashboard and web-based spreadsheets, and electronic forms.

Q) What licences do I need if I am going to deploy Terminal Services within a Windows Server 2003 based environment?
A) Terminal Services functionality is included in the Windows Server licence. You need a server licence for every running instance of the server software. On top of the server licence, you also need a Windows Server Client Access Licence (CAL) for each user or device. If you want to run a Windows session, a Terminal Server Client Access Licence (TS CAL) is needed too. A Windows session is defined as a session during which the server software hosts a graphical user interface on a device. For Windows sessions, you need a TS CAL for each user or device.

Note Operating system equivalency in Terminal Server no longer applies with Windows Server 2008, and you need a TS 2008 CAL for each device or user using Terminal Server functionality, irrespective of which desktop operating system is running on the device.

Q) Am I licensed to use Microsoft Communicator when I buy a Client Access Licence (CAL) for Office Communications Server 2007?
A) No. Unlike its predecessor, Live Communications Server (LCS) 2005, Office Communications Server (OCS) 2007 doesn’t include the right to install Office Communicator on devices for which CALs are in place.

If you maintain Software Assurance coverage on LCS or OCS you have extra rights, which are set out in the product list.

Q) I am deploying Microsoft Exchange Server Enterprise 2007; does this mean I need to buy the Enterprise Client Access Licence (CAL)?
A) You can choose your CALs according to the functionality you need. Microsoft Exchange Server 2007 Standard CALs offer basic functionality. If you need more advanced features such as security services offerings, unified messaging, and compliance functionality, then Microsoft Exchange Server 2007 Enterprise CALs might be more suitable.

Comments (0)

Skip to main content